It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if all 250,000,000 adult citizens in the US were required to carry a gun?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

and your point is? the videos i posted show the delusion and reality of your post, read the Freudian theory i posted on Fantasy and Phantasy.
Although the Wyatt Earp event may have taken place it has been fantasized, glamorized and perverted to an extreme beyond recognition, why? so concepts like this can be dreamed up and debated.
So my post is extremely validated in this thread, in reality if 250,000,000 Americans had weapons all sub-consciously fantasizing about various different things the streets would be a war zone

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
For the first 6 months there would be a lot of dead people I think. This would be mostly due to our society’s promotion of violence (yay prime time television), many people inability to control their emotions in a rational manner (road rage) and lots of revenge I think (he called me a poopy head!). After a while things would mellow out and crime would drastically drop. Knowing that anyone you encounter may very well kill you for your rudeness would encourage most people to be a lot nicer to each other. I think part of the decline of this society is due to the fact that we have no reason to be kind to each other. Having the ever present prospect of being killed will certainly encourage people to be nicer. Fear brings peace and total indoctrination ensures peace.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Gun ownership is Mandatory in Kennesaw, Georgia -

The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982.

And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998.

With all the attention that has been heaped upon the lawful possession of firearms lately, you would think that a city that requires gun ownership would be the center of a media feeding frenzy. It isn't. The fact is I can't remember a major media outlet even mentioning Kennesaw. Can you?

The reason is obvious. Kennesaw proves that the presence of firearms actually improves safety and security. This is not the message that the media want us to hear. They want us to believe that guns are evil and are the cause of violence.

The facts tell a different story. What is even more interesting about Kennesaw is that the city's crime rate decreased with the simple knowledge that the entire community was armed. The bad guys didn't force the residents to prove it. Just knowing that residents were armed prompted them to move on to easier targets. Most criminals don't have a death wish.
www.freerepublic.com...

Criminals target those who can't defend their life or property. South Dakota www.huffingtonpost.com... and Alabama thewashingtonfancy.com... are looking into this too.

Even the whole of the Armed Forces controlled by a tyrannical government cannot withstand the force of 300 million Americans involved in active revolution. This IS the reason we are allowed to arm ourselves - to over throw a corrupt Government - that's stated by the US Constitution.

Also check out the Facts - More people owning guns means less crime: factcheck.org...
edit on 14-2-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by PLAYERONE01
reply to post by jude11

and your point is? the videos i posted show the delusion and reality of your post, read the Freudian theory i posted on Fantasy and Phantasy.
Although the Wyatt Earp event may have taken place it has been fantasized, glamorized and perverted to an extreme beyond recognition, why? so concepts like this can be dreamed up and debated.
So my post is extremely validated in this thread, in reality if 250,000,000 Americans had weapons all sub-consciously fantasizing about various different things the streets would be a war zone

Stop using Hollywood and let's get to reality.

Or should we just use the matrix as a reference to real life as well?

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
~Robert A. Heinlein

I believe this statement to be true.

This is the first thing that ran through my mind. I bet you any money all the big talking toughies would be singing a different tune.

Reminded me of that video I saw recently...The one where the 20 something smart mouthed girl is running her mouth at the older male bus driver. She puts her hands on him, then he clobbers her.

Stuff like that probably wouldn't happen very often...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
ya right on go for it..sounds like great way to thin the herd, you will see natural selection at its finest..unless some mandatory training/education is involved..even then alot of people are not responcible enough

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
First, there's 300 million Americans.

What would it be like walking down the street knowing that 4 out of 5 of the passing public were carrying? Would you feel more safe or less so?

hell no. That'd scare the f out of me. The guy behind me could get pissed I'm walking too slow and shoot me in the back without me having any chance of defending myself.
Americans aren't capable of self control, forcing them to carry guns is a terrible idea.

Bill O'Reilly really has a good idea on how to lower gun crimes. Never thought I'd say Bill O'Reilly had a good idea!
Just make it any gun crime a federal crime with a mandatory sentence of minimum 10 years. People would definitely think twice before trying armed robbery.

Not too many Nations would like to come up against something like that.

No one has been trying to invade us though. No one would try it as is! We have enough guns already. We own 50% of the world's guns.
edit on 13-2-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

Someone shooting you in the back because your walking to slow??? Are you for real? whats stopping someone from doing that right now, gun free zones? hahaha Whats stoping someone from stabing you in the back right now?

Way to make yourself sound paranoid

edit on 14-2-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I'm curious about one aspect related to the OP

The OP proposes the idea that it be mandatory for adult Americans to carry a gun, presumably a handgun, any time they have left their home.

What would said Americans do when they left the US? What I mean is,if you are required to carry said firearm everywhere in the US, what do you do with this firearm just before you leave US territory?

After all, most countries do not recognize an unrestricted right to bear arms and certainly wouldn't want a bunch of armed foreigners showing up in their country. It would put a bit of a crimp into the foreign travel plans of any US citizen.
edit on 14/2/13 by erwalker because: punctuation

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
No one should be required to do anything.

The moment you force somebody to do a thing, even a thing they may very well love to do, you corrupt it and create hostility.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
In Chicago I would say... The sag'd jean wearing thugs would think twice before messing with Old Betty (60+) because she's packing heat. I'm honestly not against this and think more good than bad would come out of it.

For any ATS'er who doesn't believe me look at the CCW states and there crime rates before and after. Even habeeb in the quickie marts in the CCW states are packing heat because they don't want there's messed with.

Call it cowboy, call it whatever you want. I am pro for all american packing heat.

And before anyone challanges me and states.... "Every American even the mentally challanged"... NO don't put words in my mouth. Responsible people is the key. Laws that mandate backround checks and mental stability would be on my docet. Only reason why I live in Chicago and all my arms are registered. Peace of mind with knowing that if I am unlawfully attacked, "I will fire back and call the cops after"

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I think that initially there would be an increase in homicides.

After the initial cowboy days, I think that people would become much more polite, crime would almost be non-existant and the US would be a nicer society.

It would just be that initial few years that would see an increase in violence.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I think all you would do is create a lot more murder over simple theft.

There are always going to be criminals, always going to be people either desperate enough or just thuggish enough to want to steal something. But now that everyone is armed, they might not just pull a gun on you and tell you to hand over your things because they know you are armed as well....they will just shoot you before you even see them coming (if people don't think this is possible, just think of Chris Kyle).

I think arming everyone is NOT the solution we are looking for. It is time for America to grow up, time for America to mature out of our violent gun culture, time for Americans to realize that life isn't a movie and all you gun owners aren't Rambo.

What I suggest to pro-gun people to do is to be logical and cooperative in the process of gun control, because the majority of the public wants it and that number is just going to increase as long as we live in this perverted gun culture. But the way pro-gun people are handling now by being combative, arrogant, and just plain childish...it is just making more and more people see that those that are for guns the most seem to be the most irresponsible and maybe they are the problem in the first place.

So my advice....grow up gun owners...and stop with the ridiculous "solutions" like arming teachers, or arming everying, or starting a revolution, or any other juvenile "solution" they have come up with.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
In a country with 250,000,000 adult carry a gun would just mean the criminals would carry RPG and Rocket Launchers.

Whats next, 250,000,000 citizens with RPG and Rocket launchers?

Nothing Solved.

Of course, other than increased deaths and no laws, gangs of "citizens" taking charge of who does what because they have a bigger and badder "gang"etc etc.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
~Robert A. Heinlein

Except when guns are used just to settle an argument.
I live in a city where this a happens all the time.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex
reply to post by jude11

I think all you would do is create a lot more murder over simple theft.

There are always going to be criminals, always going to be people either desperate enough or just thuggish enough to want to steal something. But now that everyone is armed, they might not just pull a gun on you and tell you to hand over your things because they know you are armed as well....they will just shoot you before you even see them coming (if people don't think this is possible, just think of Chris Kyle).

I think arming everyone is NOT the solution we are looking for. It is time for America to grow up, time for America to mature out of our violent gun culture, time for Americans to realize that life isn't a movie and all you gun owners aren't Rambo.

What I suggest to pro-gun people to do is to be logical and cooperative in the process of gun control, because the majority of the public wants it and that number is just going to increase as long as we live in this perverted gun culture. But the way pro-gun people are handling now by being combative, arrogant, and just plain childish...it is just making more and more people see that those that are for guns the most seem to be the most irresponsible and maybe they are the problem in the first place.

So my advice....grow up gun owners...and stop with the ridiculous "solutions" like arming teachers, or arming everying, or starting a revolution, or any other juvenile "solution" they have come up with.

Xedo I have to say I do agree that most gun owners are "Fanatics". But most of them are die hard Americans and know only the culture and history that was brainwashed into them as Children. So you get the rhetorical answers of: Revolution, Arming teachers and so forth. Heck a Revolution would be devastating to any country, look at Egypt and the Middle East... Civil Wars and one that has been going since the begining of there culture...

Logical and cooperative in the process of gun control is a must I agree whole heartedly. But it's what entailed in the process and and satisfying both parties not just anti-gunners. In my own opinion. But what I said is actually scary for the fact of when has the government satisfied both parties if not there own agenda. So the rise for American Civillian concern and banter about the subject is justified as well.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Take all of the adults. Now you've got to factor back out those who cannot legally own weapons - such as convicted felons. Now there is the issue of people who could not shoot or carry a gun for medical reasons ( quadriplegics, etc ), then there would have to be a discussion about what level of mental illness is the cut off point for ownership of weapons. Obviously fully delusional people, who cannot distinguish between reality and imagination aren't the sort of folks who need deadly weapons. Then what about folks with developmental impairments like Downs Syndrome? How about those with advanced MS or Parkinsons - who might well accidentally discharge their weapons because they cannot control their own bodies?

There are probably more categories that would have to be dealt with just to start the process.

Then we ignore the irony that the seeming method of keeping the Government from "forcing" us to do something is to have them force us to do something else. A paradox in its own right.

But let's assume all of the above is handled and every able bodied person in America is now armed. Whether or not this would spike or eliminate crime is up for grabs. But if the desire is less government? This won't work. Right away you now need an entire new and large Federal program to monitor and control the weapons of those who die, develop dementia, get charged with felonies, etc.

In all honesty - it's hard enough keeping the geriatric off of the roads in the US. Trust me, I'm dealing with it now - a relative suffering from dementia who has no business at all being behind the wheel of a car, but who refuses to relinquish their license. The best we can hope for is that she doesn't run down a group of kids before her current license expires. Do we really want to add guns to the list of things that we'll have to take away from Granny once she starts going batty?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
carrying a gun makes you think before you speak and act.
i'm in a state where ccw permits are given out like candy, and a state that
has a bill right now to do away with the permits and allow anyone who can legally
own a firearm carry one if they wish.

I think this makes more sense than requiring people to do it. There are many such
as myself that have no problems carrying a gun. And if the need arises and its the
last option, i have no problem using it. But it should be a last option. Not a first.

I think this has good and bad qualities to the op's idea. There are to many people who
go on the defensive mode when they get scared, rather than observe the situation and
access. They automatically go to the "OH CRAP" mode and want to do the most extreme to
stop what ever it is. Even though in some cases it's not life threatening and its possible that
actions were required you just didnt see them.

I.E. you walking down the road turn the corner, see one guy beating the crap out of another,
many in society would panic, pull their gun and shoot to help the guy getting beat up.
BUT what is not known is what the guy did to deserve a beating, or if he did anything at all.

There are many sides to it, but when it comes down to it, you have to be responsible for you if
you carry a gun, because if you are wrong in your judgement, you are going to jail for a long time.

i think better than requiring, change the laws so it allows each person to chose for them self.
in the end i think that would be a wiser decision.

edit on 14-2-2013 by severdsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
A lot of bar fights would end in death rather than broken noses.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I'm sure, actually positive that is a possibility but what like in the cowboy days... Gun Check at the door just like you check your coat in.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

~Robert A. Heinlein

And me as well my friend.

Peace
Couple of Fools.
People will be "forced" to be Polite, for Fear of Death? and your OK with that?

You cant see the relation of the Gangbanger shooting another for "not giving Props" to your "politeness"?

edit on 14-2-2013 by Tw0Sides because: changed Fools from Idiots, gun Lovers are sensitive I'm told

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join