Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What if all 250,000,000 adult citizens in the US were required to carry a gun?

page: 1
9
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
YAY! My first gun thread. (Please note sarcasm) However, I have been thinking for the last few days about this scenario.

There are approx. 250,000,000 adults in the US right? So what if there was a "coming of age" license (like a car or the right to drink) where every adult citizen was given the right to own a gun? Let's say at the age of 25 for theory's sake. Walk into a store, get your paper and a gun. Done.

And if it was mandatory because you were responsible for being the first line of defense and protecting yourself before calling on an ever decreasing efficient Serve and Protect club while at the same time reducing the payroll of these thugs in uniform? And it was mandatory to take firearms safety in school?

Now we know that the license will depend on mental stability, criminal backgrounds etc so let's put this number at say...200,000,000 just for argument sake.

What would it be like walking down the street knowing that 4 out of 5 of the passing public were carrying?

Would you feel more safe or less so?

I'm curious because I try to put myself into the mindset of a criminal and think about walking around in public where 80% of my potential victims are most likely able to kill me on the spot. I might think of another career to pursue rather than being a thief, mugger, murderer, rapist, child molester, kidnapper, bank robber etc.

Maybe it's just me but...Granny with a gun on her hip is going to deter many would be thieves. And if she has a problem? More around her to help out.

Further...Invading forces against 200,000,000 armed citizens? hmmmm? Gotta think twice on that one right? Not too many Nations would like to come up against something like that.

Peace


edit on 13-2-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)




posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
First, there's 300 million Americans.


What would it be like walking down the street knowing that 4 out of 5 of the passing public were carrying? Would you feel more safe or less so?

hell no. That'd scare the f out of me. The guy behind me could get pissed I'm walking too slow and shoot me in the back without me having any chance of defending myself.
Americans aren't capable of self control, forcing them to carry guns is a terrible idea.

Bill O'Reilly really has a good idea on how to lower gun crimes. Never thought I'd say Bill O'Reilly had a good idea!
Just make it any gun crime a federal crime with a mandatory sentence of minimum 10 years. People would definitely think twice before trying armed robbery.




Not too many Nations would like to come up against something like that.

No one has been trying to invade us though. No one would try it as is! We have enough guns already. We own 50% of the world's guns.
edit on 13-2-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)


+3 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
~Robert A. Heinlein

I believe this statement to be true.



posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Answer to post........
A lot of dead people living in a very. Very egdey. Society....
Don't sneeze I'll shoot cha!!!



posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Seems to me it sounds like the OLD WEST?



posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
First, there's 300 million Americans.


What would it be like walking down the street knowing that 4 out of 5 of the passing public were carrying? Would you feel more safe or less so?

hell no. That'd scare the f out of me. The guy behind me could get pissed I'm walking too slow and shoot me in the back without me having any chance of defending myself.
Americans aren't capable of self control, forcing them to carry guns is a terrible idea.

Bill O'Reilly really has a good idea on how to lower gun crimes. Never thought I'd say Bill O'Reilly had a good idea!
Just make it any gun crime a federal crime with a mandatory sentence of minimum 10 years. People would definitely think twice before trying armed robbery.




Not too many Nations would like to come up against something like that.

No one has been trying to invade us though. No one would try it as is! We have enough guns already. We own 50% of the world's guns.
edit on 13-2-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)


Actually there's about 313 million but I am using the number of adult citizens.


Now why would someone shoot you in the back when the person in back of them has a gun as well?

As it stands, you can be shot in the back while everyone else runs for cover because only that criminal is armed on the street.

And no invading forces because of enough guns? Thanks for the support!


Peace


edit on 13-2-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
~Robert A. Heinlein

I believe this statement to be true.


And me as well my friend.


Peace



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375
 



Bill O'Reilly really has a good idea on how to lower gun crimes. Never thought I'd say Bill O'Reilly had a good idea!
Just make it any gun crime a federal crime with a mandatory sentence of minimum 10 years. People would definitely think twice before trying armed robbery.

Bill O'reilly is an idiot, there are already laws in place for the misuse of a firearm.
The problem is that darn due process!
In order to make that sentence stick, you gotta "prove".
Just like Bills "idea"...
Most people do not know this little fact though,...CRIMINALS DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR LAWS!!!
What a criminal does consider, that dog has teeth and will eat me, or that old lady has a gun and will kill me.
More armed people works for me!



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Ghost375
 



Bill O'Reilly really has a good idea on how to lower gun crimes. Never thought I'd say Bill O'Reilly had a good idea!
Just make it any gun crime a federal crime with a mandatory sentence of minimum 10 years. People would definitely think twice before trying armed robbery.

Bill O'reilly is an idiot, there are already laws in place for the misuse of a firearm.
The problem is that darn due process!
In order to make that sentence stick, you gotta "prove".
Just like Bills "idea"...
Most people do not know this little fact though,...CRIMINALS DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR LAWS!!!
What a criminal does consider, that dog has teeth and will eat me, or that old lady has a gun and will kill me.
More armed people works for me!


Exactly.

Criminals only go after those that can't defend themselves.

No gun = victim.

Peace



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by SpaDe_
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
~Robert A. Heinlein

I believe this statement to be true.


And me as well my friend.


Peace


Good quote, agreed here.

If only people bought a gun at 21 years old instead of a shot of alcohol


To think out loud: If everyone (250mil people) overnight had a gun, there would no doubt be a lot of violence during the first couple of years, and probably turning into long term blood feuds. However, I think the idiots would be thinned out over 5 years and the quote above would be very true, where people actually start to think (not emotionally) before they speak / act.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Only if they bring back dueling.
There are some people I would trust with a pocket knife because they might hurt themselves.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
oh man i swear some Americans sexually fantasize about guns. I mean seriously read this op back to your self and ask yourself if you don't think there is something wrong there. Freud would love this

csmt.uchicago.edu...



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


you see you reached the first problem in your post...

Please define Criminal

Are we talking about someone who was convicted of a crime?

are they on probation or are they ex-cons

So ex-cons would not have their liberties restored once they have served their time... once punishment fulfilled they should never be allowed to defend themselves?????

The mentally Ill-

please define


Very important- are we pretesting for sociopath tendencies.... or those with same brain anomalies as sociopaths...

should they not have the same franchise rights...


now with those out of the way...

Id say for the first year or two you would have a culling effect... the rude and stupid would be purged from the herd...

Cold numbers not any particular view of mine...the people would get real polite and smart real quick...everyone pleas note the OP did not state removal of civil penalties for murder...

It would occur during that time period... society would evolve other methods to deal with the additional carry rules...



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 





250,000,000 adults in the US right? So what if there was a "coming of age" license (like a car or the right to drink) where every adult citizen was given the right to own a gun? Let's say at the age of 25 for theory's sake. Walk into a store, get your paper and a gun.


Fantasy:




Reality:




posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by PLAYERONE01
reply to post by jude11
 





250,000,000 adults in the US right? So what if there was a "coming of age" license (like a car or the right to drink) where every adult citizen was given the right to own a gun? Let's say at the age of 25 for theory's sake. Walk into a store, get your paper and a gun.


Fantasy:




Reality:



And your facts rather than a few Hollywood videos? Which by the way is the REAL problem in the US.

All you can use is a few Hollywood vids to state a point?

C'mon, ATS is better than this.


Peace



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Was this thread meant to be an early April fools joke?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...I'm just disregarding this thread as a troll thread.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by PLAYERONE01
Freud would love this

csmt.uchicago.edu...


Even more so since I'm NOT American?

And then what would your argument be?

Peace



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
~Robert A. Heinlein

I believe this statement to be true.


Polite to the tune of 30,000 Gun deaths and mass school shootings every once in a while.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Was this thread meant to be an early April fools joke?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...I'm just disregarding this thread as a troll thread.


Disregard all you want. After all, it's the American way if you don't agree.

And no, if you read the OP it's hypothetical. But it seems that you prefer either black or white when it comes to a discussion. Too bad the elections went the same way...


Peace



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines
 



If only people bought a gun at 21 years old instead of a shot of alcohol

I like you, I really do!
Why??
Because that is exactly what I did!
I have also carried it ever since.
This does many things for me most of all, it has made me have to think before I have done ANYTHING!
If I drank, I drank at home so there would be no stupidity about.
Owning a gun is like having a baby, it makes you think about your future moves.
Star to you Brother.

(Edit)
Oops sorry, I was 18 years old and the first gun in my posession was a Ruger Mini-14 bought from best products, I walked out with 2 standard capacity mags (30 round) and about 200 rounds. I had to wait the 10 or 14 days for my SigSauer P-220, it was bought by my dad with my money.
See back when you could own but not buy, I'm not sure nowadays.
edit on 14-2-2013 by g146541 because: oops





new topics

top topics



 
9
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join