It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if all 250,000,000 adult citizens in the US were required to carry a gun?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

I'm sure, actually positive that is a possibility but what like in the cowboy days... Gun Check at the door just like you check your coat in.

There is always the parking lot.

Maybe have a BAL blow test to activate to the gun.

You'd need to turn in your old guns and get a government issued one in order to carry.

I hope no politicians are reading this

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Americans aren't capable of self control, forcing them to carry guns is a terrible idea.

Speak for yourself. Perhaps you prefer the government make your decisions for you - I do not.

I'd rather take my chances in a heavily armed society than one in which only the criminals have a firearm.

I have walked down the street in places like Mogadishu where every person over 10 has some sort of assault rifle. Random crime is fairly rare.

You do see sanctioned violence, organized hits and retaliations by rival groups but rarely does one just decide to commit some random theft/rape/or assault not knowing who the victim is related to or what organization they belong to will get you dead real fast.

Why? There is no real system of justice - if you wrong someone be prepared to pay with your life. If the penalty for even petty crime was more than likely the loss of life there would be less of it.

Personally, I don’t endorse anarchy or a system run by criminal gangs like Somalia – but I do think that personal firearms are a good addition to our existing system. I just think the law needs to favor the law abiding person rather than the criminal like it currently does.

I mean the self defense issue should be cut and dry he assaulted me so I shot him - case closed. People wouldn't do that # anymore I bet.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In answer to your question:

Things would get real nice real quick.
I don't think there would be any more "road rage" and out right muggings would dissappear.
I am sure, just like when a dry county goes wet, there would be a few fools who could not handle being "proper and nice" but they would quickly be dealt with an better times would not be for off.
I would be saddened for thos ewho were involved with the few incidents which occurred, but the greater portion of society would be better for it.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity, but what about foreign Tourism/Business investment.. I am not sure if I'd want to take my family/team to a country where everyone bar me was armed, in this regard all the gun toting films Hollywood have produced could do a serious disservice to America as I am sure America could not afford to turn away 60ish million tourist each year.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
if this happens, i going into the undertaker business, and buying land for a cemetary and grave business...that'll give me enough money to buy an armored car to take my kids to school and do errands. why do so many posts like this, sound like they are coming from terrorists in other countries that want the US to fall?

i think every citizen in Iran, and north korea should be given an AK-47, compliments of the united states
edit on 14-2-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
~Robert A. Heinlein

I believe this statement to be true.

Amen! In the town i live in we have nearly zero gun crime. The reason for that is simple. Nearly everybody has a gun. Everybody knows that nearly everybody has a gun. Criminals are cowards, they will burglarize a house only if they know that it is empty. There is no such thing as mugging in this town. There is no such thing as carjacking in this town. There are no flash mobs stealing from stores,etc.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
reply to post by sulaw

I'm sure, actually positive that is a possibility but what like in the cowboy days... Gun Check at the door just like you check your coat in.

There is always the parking lot.

Maybe have a BAL blow test to activate to the gun.

You'd need to turn in your old guns and get a government issued one in order to carry.

I hope no politicians are reading this

LOL I like where your going with this but that is a "What if" we can run around gun control all day with "What if's"

What if grandma had balls? She'd of been grandma~

Regardless of how they implement there Gun policies there is always the initial reaction like that stated. After a year it would diminish and civillian who CCW would wisen up. Well I hope so...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
In the town i live in we have nearly zero gun crime.
Nearly Zero, which town you live in ?
If it has 1 million Pop, thats good.
If it has 2000 Pop, thats bad.
Which Town you live in ?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I'd be worried for the first 4 or 5 years as the foolish get them selves killed off and others with them. But over time I figure people would learn and it would calm back down again.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

It is around 25k people. It is 50 miles from 2 larger cities that have over 200k people.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
and who's going to pay for those who cannot afford a weapon? and lets not just mention that the 2nd allows people to bear arms and in no ways does it compel them to be armed so it would be an inverse gun grab technically and what happens if you nip out to the shops and get caught buying a bottle of milk without a firearm etc

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
Just out of curiosity, but what about foreign Tourism/Business investment.. I am not sure if I'd want to take my family/team to a country where everyone bar me was armed, in this regard all the gun toting films Hollywood have produced could do a serious disservice to America as I am sure America could not afford to turn away 60ish million tourist each year.

Quite right on that one.

Maybe give everyone a gun at the border?
Kidding of course.

Some people are taking this thread way too seriously tho. My OP was just a what-if scenario posted for feed back. A lot of insults have arisen towards myself and other members who might have a different opinion than some.

I like your post tho. Good thought food.

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What if all 250,000,000 adult citizens in the US were required to carry a gun?

More money for the already rich Gun manufacturers?

i'm sure someone mentioned this!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

It is around 25k people. It is 50 miles from 2 larger cities that have over 200k people.
I was hoping for the Name of your Town, so I could Check what "nearly zero" meant.

But I accept this as a Open Forum Site, so I will not press anymore, I can respect your Anonymity.

So Ill take a Diff Approach. Using 325 million as US Pop, and 12,000 murders per Annum as a Average.

Lets call your "nearly zero' as 1 murder. 325 million people Div by your 25000 people = 13000.
that puts your Town slightly above the Country Average.

If your "nearly zero" is 2 Murders , than the Number equates to 26000, your Town is Murder USA at that Rate.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Lets see. There was a breakin about 3 years ago of a business. The owner slept there that night and held one guy at gun point. There was a second burglar that he didn't know about and he was shot/killed. A woman killed her husband last year with a gun. That's all i can recall in the last 5 years.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Quite right on that one.

Maybe give everyone a gun at the border?
Kidding of course.

Some people are taking this thread way too seriously tho. My OP was just a what-if scenario posted for feed back. A lot of insults have arisen towards myself and other members who might have a different opinion than some.

I like your post tho. Good thought food.

Peace

I actually thought about that, arming tourists... then thought if they are anything like me, bugger that, I'd probably accidentally shoot myself. I imagine the Japanese would go for a two in one camera gun.. thinking about guns for tourists, it could be based on a comforting national item, now that could be quite the money spinner... imagines a baguette gun for the French..

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I looked it up. Here are the stats.

1999- 0
2000-0
2001-1
2002-0
2003-1
2004-2
2005-1
2006-0
2007-2
2008-0
2009-2
2010-0
2011-1

These are murders, the stats do not say if a gun was used.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Dude! ...I like it. Now we just need to que the Team America theme song!

"America!! F*** yeah!!"

Trust me on this one, boys and girls, any criminal or psycho would think twice before trying ANYTHING when they know that every Tom, Dick and Harry are armed! Of course there would be a process for filtering out unstable individuals, and there will be a strenuous training course. People will actually have to be educated for a change... This could spark off an educational revolution!

Too bad it'll never happen. The average citizen petrified with fear thanks to the daily programming will think "Guns everywhere?? Nooooooo!!!! Guns are b-b-b-bad!!!

No idiot... People are bad. A small percentage are bad enough to kill somebody. That's why we want the good people to be armed along with the bad guys, because then, you see, the bad guys with guns will be outnumbered by good people with guns... See how that works? Every citizen SHOULD have a duty to serve and protect eachother!

See the other problem with this is the pussification of America... In order for this idea to work, you might actually have to BE A REAL MAN or a REAL WOMAN once in a while and stand up for what's right instead of letting someone else do all your dirty work while you shy away from all the violence. That's why criminals are so brazen! They know if they show up somewhere with a gun, they know there's a good chance nobody else has one, so they have at least 5 or 10 minutes before the special people who actually fight back will show up...

Putting the safety of yourself and your family into the hands of strangers is... well... a dubious plan at best. There is no possible way that a stranger or even most people you know can possibly care about your safety and that of your loved ones as much as YOU do. You AND your family & friends! Every family and group of friends should be like our forefathers! A team of badasses who don't back down to criminals, gang members, anybody! Even gentlemen back in the day were well learned in the area of self defense. One on one duels with pistols...cane fights, knife fights, fistfights... Yes even the high class guys were much tougher than our average "man" of today! They were not afraid of death or injury the way we are, because they refused to lose their honour, and they always stood up for what was right, to the point of fighting to the death over it.

You entrust your safety to others, its a mistake... I'm telling you... I don't know much about fighting. And for that, I am ashamed. This is why we are SHEEP. We are helpless and defenseless... The few of us that aren't are called "dangerous". "Extremists" Yeah, its a little extreme to want to protect yourself and trust only yourself and your loved ones to do so... "Terrorists" Well, they haven't done anything violent, but they MIGHT ONE DAY, so they are terrorists! O.O

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Thanks for the Follow up, My point was what "nearly Zero" meant in the Context of the size of your town.
By your listings in your previous post, your town seems to Follow the National Average, which would be Par for the course.
No Malice intended, just following through on what most will see as a unimportant Point.
Thxx for the replies.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
~Robert A. Heinlein

I believe this statement to be true.

Amen! In the town i live in we have nearly zero gun crime. The reason for that is simple. Nearly everybody has a gun. Everybody knows that nearly everybody has a gun. Criminals are cowards, they will burglarize a house only if they know that it is empty. There is no such thing as mugging in this town. There is no such thing as carjacking in this town. There are no flash mobs stealing from stores,etc.

AMEN! Things ALWAYS go better when you take responsibility for your OWN safety, economy, health. etc etc etc!!!! When will people see this??? They want cops to have guns, because they know that a good guy with a gun has a better chance of stopping a crime or catching a criminal after the crime...yet they don't see the benefit of having "cops everywhere"?

I think this is a direct result of the media sowing seeds of distrust...making us all believe that the neighbor is a pedophile who wants to kidnap your children, the guy down the road is a serial killer, the kid with the hoodie on is a gun toting gang member, that veteran is unstable, your spouse could kill you one day...

The reality is that, I would say with confidence AT LEAST 85% of people are generally GOOD! Don't believe the lie... They just want to divide us! :/ After all, who wants to organize a group to do...ANYTHING...for the better of the community with a bunch of pedophiles and drug addicts and serial killers? They got us so petrified in fear...of eachother!! Sure, some people are calloused or numbed, or simply ignorant, but that doesn't make them evil. It doesn't make them hopeless... People can change and learn, quicker than you might think. And the bad in people generally comes out when they are fed up or gave up or are desperate, because things aren't going so well.. When things start going better for everybody, people are happier and they do more good and everybody is nicer to eachother.

And a lot of people are also nicer when people are nice to them, and don't look at them and treat them like criminals. We've all met those kind of people who are always nice, trusting, and generous beyond the standard we usually see all over. These people are contagious. You'd have to be really screwed up to do something bad to someone like that... Criminals don't have much of a problem robbing the old lady who glares at them all the time with a look of hatred and distrust. Anyway, I'm all done rambling now

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join