It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photographer Captures Detailed Photos of the Sun From His Backyard

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
link

This is way neat.
We have an amateur buff taking images from his backyard of the sun.
The process is very interesting. Basically he's combining several images into a detailed one.
It's very cool and goes to show you even some guy in his back yard can do some amazing things.

My photographs comprise a solar diary, portraits of a moment in the life of our local star. Most are captured from my backyard in Buffalo, NY. Using a small telescope and narrow band filters I can capture details in high resolution and record movements in the solar atmosphere that change over hours and sometimes minutes.

The raw material for my work is black and white and often blurry. As I prepare the pictures, color is applied and tonality is adjusted to better render the features. It is photojournalism of a sort. The portraits are real, not painted. Aesthetic decisions are made with respect for accuracy as well as for the power of the image.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Wow..

That is pretty freaking cool. And impressive.
I'm no astronomer, but that looks like one hell of a set-up to have in your back yard. Must be nice.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Another fine example of the laymen's industrious nature. Great job.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Really beautiful.
He must have censored the planet sized UFOs out of the image and its' too bad he didn't catch the second sun as well.
edit on 2/13/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Really beautiful.
He must have censored the planet sized UFOs out of the image and its' too bad he didn't catch the second sun as well.

Nah...they're probably in cloaking mode.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Awesome pics, I was just checking them out (look HERE FOR A HIGH RES PIC )

But now you've gone and poke the bee's nest! They are gonna come running in claiming there is a HUGE Sun Koi Fish - Hi Res swimming around it!

Beautiful image, honestly breath-taking!
edit on 13-2-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

He didn't censor them out Phage, he just called it the Transit of Venus.

It was really a mothership exiting the sun.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Thanks much grey580,

Love it, guy's a rockstar! And save for the veiled bit about earth not becoming Venus,
he didn't turn it into a sky is falling global warming psa.

Also dig his take on the DIY stuff - the more we can observe ourselves, the less we rely on
some 'sanctioned funded' source.

Cheers,
Nexo

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
A SUN??? In Buffalo?

Must be a hoax. I grew up near there and it was rumored, but...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the really beautiful setup the guy has put together, but did you really have to mention U.F.O's? It seems you are trying to turn this post into a discussion about them.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

Wow. You busted me.
That's me alright, always bringing UFOs into every thread I can.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Bkrmn

Wow. You busted me.
That's me alright, always bringing UFOs into every thread I can.

Ya that's you alright....thats you on a "nice" day.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Plenty of amateur astronomers on ATS that have similar equipment, but coming back to Phage and his UFO comments, they all get accused for being paid shills, when they post about not seeing the double suns, or UFO's, and so on through their own telescopes. Somehow a lot of people on ATS would rather believe video's pasted on youtube, taken without the proper equipment, showing UFO's, double suns, etc, than pics taken at the same time, with proper equipment that doesn't show the UFO's, double suns, etc.....

here are some of my own photos, all posted on ATS before in discussions of UFO's, double suns, etc, etc....

edit on 13/2/2013 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Have you experimented at all with coronagraphy?
Is it practical for amateurs?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Telescopes with narrowband Ha filters, and Ca filters are affordable for the average amateur nowadays. Up to a couple of years ago, they were way to expensive for the average amateur, but with the new telescopes from Coronado, Lundt, etc, it came into reach of the average amateur astronomer. A 60mm Ha telescope costs about the same as an 8" scmidt-cassegrain telescope.

As for a coronagraph, well, I guess one can do it, but I am not sure how much internal reflections in the telescope would affect the blocking element, and I guess the tracking will have to be more accurate than what I can do right now.

edit on 13/2/2013 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
here is a pic with my normal telescope, with a normal Baader solar filter showing the transit of Venus. With the correct software, and taking video clips, and then processing it into a single image, the results can come close to the results from professional observatories.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Incredible achievement! I'm lucky to get a decent star trail pic, but what you've captured is something truly special. Wish I could give more stars!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys

Incredible achievement! I'm lucky to get a decent star trail pic, but what you've captured is something truly special. Wish I could give more stars!

thanks, but there is a lot of luck to get pics like this too, the weather has to be right, and a lot of other factors. I would say that at least 80% of my attempts end in disaster, lol ..... the weather here in Norway doesn't always work together when I want a solar pic, lol ....... and of course, during the winter months, I can forget all about it, lol .....

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Great pics man!
Keep it up.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Really beautiful.

You're wicked Phage, really wicked

top topics

<<   2 >>

join