It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photographer Captures Detailed Photos of the Sun From His Backyard

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by Phage

Telescopes with narrowband Ha filters, and Ca filters are affordable for the average amateur nowadays. Up to a couple of years ago, they were way to expensive for the average amateur, but with the new telescopes from Coronado, Lundt, etc, it came into reach of the average amateur astronomer. A 60mm Ha telescope costs about the same as an 8" scmidt-cassegrain telescope.

As for a coronagraph, well, I guess one can do it, but I am not sure how much internal reflections in the telescope would affect the blocking element, and I guess the tracking will have to be more accurate than what I can do right now.

edit on 13/2/2013 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

They are still not that cheap!!! LOL Unless you know of some place that sells them cheaper then Thousand Oaks or Coronado they are still close to $1,000 bucks a pop. Not bad admittedly but still keeping me from getting one! LOL I am stuck with Baader...

Oh and awesome pics btw! I so want to take these!
edit on 14-2-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is really neat! Great pics ... as an amateur photographer, I also thought about connecting my DLSR to a telescope, unfortunately I never really came past the 'planning stage' of this venture. But again: incredible footage ... !!

<< 1   >>

join