It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perhaps Aliens use Sleep Paralysis to Abduct People

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: draknoir2

Oh yeah cloaking and everything

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
or the aliens are injecting their victums with '___' causing them to see...aliens?

@ the OP
Isn't this the same as saying that aliens are flying around in spaceships that look like and act like balloons or birds?

There are those who claim they are flying around disguised as airplanes and helicopters. There's a guy here with such an avatar photo.

I wasn't injected with anything that I know of.

Jeez...It took you over 2 years to reply to that post and now I have completely changed my mind.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2

or the aliens are injecting their victums with '___' causing them to see...aliens?

@ the OP
Isn't this the same as saying that aliens are flying around in spaceships that look like and act like balloons or birds?

There are those who claim they are flying around disguised as airplanes and helicopters. There's a guy here with such an avatar photo.

I wasn't injected with anything that I know of.

Jeez...It took you over 2 years to reply to that post and now I have completely changed my mind.

Your post is important to us and will be answered in the order in which it was received. Thank you for your patience.
edit on 15-5-2015 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
From what I can gather, its not really the Sleep Paralysis that is being blamed for abductions, its the false memory that is developed after and the belief of what is happening during. I have had many bouts of SP and never experienced being abducted so I am obviously missing an ingredient or two. I don't want to discount anyone's personal experiences as anything but I just wanted to share a couple of links. There does seem to be a lot of overlap in the descriptions between SP and abductions so it makes sense that they are related. Does anyone ever experience both?

Memory Distortion in People Reporting Abduction by Aliens

The Construction of Space Alien Abduction Memories

I also get the impression that its "case closed" as far as academia is concerned but the gist I get from a lot of people is that its way off.

edit on 15-5-2015 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

I think it's 'case closed' for most of the 'thinkers' in ufology and surrounding areas. David Jacobs' treatment of 'Emma' was a shocker that further undermined the credibility of hypnotic regression. Specifically, it was like a door being opened into the world of the abduction regressionist. I was deep into the subject at the time and felt the way supporters of regression acted was quite illuminating.

The guys like Clancy and McNally naturally explained abduction claimants as having borderline personality disorders, sleep paralysis and schizotypal traits. Less subtle opponents like Brian Dunning prefer to argue that claimants are kind of like social morons who can't differentiate between TV and reality - copycats and fantasisers.

The result has been that ufology figureheads and psychologists alike have all judged the abduction phenomena as solved.

I reckon all of the above has merit. At the same time, I can't help thinking that we haven't actually understood or legitimately explained whatever was going on back then. Hypnosis is a shoddy tool to investigate people's claims...yeah, that's a given. Beyond doubt really. Thing is, the earliest claimants sought help because they remembered things and had symptoms of PTSD.

One particular case had three women who saw a UFO and had all manner of injuries whilst simply driving home one night. Their hypnosis tapes are very creepy listening.

The narrative element is also fascinating.

For me, the whole shebang hasn't been solved and represents something of a tangled mess.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

For me, the whole shebang hasn't been solved and represents something of a tangled mess.

I have to agree with everything you said there. I kind of came here with the idea that its all just sleep paralysis....duh. I'm not so sure now. I understand the mindset of mainstream psychology intimately. My ex is a psychologist and I got to experience that culture first hand. I dated her while she was in grad school and I got to spend a lot of time with her at parties amongst all the psychologists which included faculty. Those were some odd parties. I even talked to her not long ago about some of this and she just spouted off that abductees were just victims of blah, blah... so pretty much anyone coming to a psychologist with these types of experiences will probably have it explained away.

I have to say that its that way with pretty much every mainstream medical field. My Sleep Paralysis is probably related to sleep apnea. That's a sleep disorder where you stop breathing while sleeping which in turn wakes you up frequently so that you never get a full nights sleep and is associated with snoring. I mention this because its the way they diagnose you. I went for a sleep study. They essentially glued electrodes all over me and told me to sleep normally. I literally got an hour of sleep but that was enough for them to diagnose me as having sleep apnea period. I usually sleep more than 1 hour and I don't always snore apparently because I have recorded it. They have one treatment and that's wearing a mask to force air down your nose. It doesn't work for me. That's it. Case closed. I have apnea and that's the treatment.

So I can imagine the frustration someone has when none of what they experienced fits any of the explanations they are given.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
As an alien from planet orbiting Eta Carinae I'd like to make a compliant. I misread this thread and now everyone thinks I'm Welsh.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Funnily enough, I studied psychology in college and moved up to uni for a BSc so I've got a few similar experiences as you. I did well in the 1st year and switched over to a humanities BA simply due to losing interest.

In the States, there was a network of clinicians set up to be sympathetic to people reporting unusual experiences. It was called the Program for Extraordinary Experience Research (PEER). They weren't only for people reporting abduction phenomena and included anyone having 'extraordinary' experiences. I know there are still sympathetic professionals out there and it's crucial they are unbiased.

I can also relate to the sleep issues. Since being a young teenager, I've gone through periods of night terrors and SP that even led to addiction issues in the pursuit of unbroken sleep. It was an eye-opener to find the night terrors were explainable through psychological studies. Nevertheless, the experience/s can create an uncertainty that allows for questions about the fabric of reality. This, imo, relates directly to people reporting historical abduction claims. It''s easy for some people to abandon consensus reality and replace it with something fundamentally subjective. By that time, they've often adopted the defensive position to maintain their interpretation of reality.

Psychologists and mental health professionals can fall for the same traps. In the depth and breadth of their educations and training, it's possible for some to develop great hubris. When they're dealing with a typical population that has a HS education and no insights into psychology, they may find that, deep down, they are dismissive.

The team in your sleep lab leant on their experience to diagnose sleep apnea and maybe missed something else. Odds are they were correct in their diagnosis. Still, you'll never know for sure and they didn't help in any material sense. You're still pissed off because they seem to have rushed it and you're no better off. I'm not surprised you're unsatisfied.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

a reply to: Kandinsky

I have to agree with everything you said there. I kind of came here with the idea that its all just sleep paralysis....duh. I'm not so sure now. I understand the mindset of mainstream psychology intimately. My ex is a psychologist and I got to experience that culture first hand. I dated her while she was in grad school and I got to spend a lot of time with her at parties amongst all the psychologists which included faculty. Those were some odd parties. I even talked to her not long ago about some of this and she just spouted off that abductees were just victims of blah, blah... so pretty much anyone coming to a psychologist with these types of experiences will probably have it explained away.

I have to say that its that way with pretty much every mainstream medical field. My Sleep Paralysis is probably related to sleep apnea. That's a sleep disorder where you stop breathing while sleeping which in turn wakes you up frequently so that you never get a full nights sleep and is associated with snoring. I mention this because its the way they diagnose you. I went for a sleep study. They essentially glued electrodes all over me and told me to sleep normally. I literally got an hour of sleep but that was enough for them to diagnose me as having sleep apnea period. I usually sleep more than 1 hour and I don't always snore apparently because I have recorded it. They have one treatment and that's wearing a mask to force air down your nose. It doesn't work for me. That's it. Case closed. I have apnea and that's the treatment.

So I can imagine the frustration someone has when none of what they experienced fits any of the explanations they are given.

An hour in a sleep lab is more than enough time to determine the extent of your apnea, usually someone with apnea will stop breathing dozens of times in an hour.
Now, it sounds like they tried to give you a CPAP machine, that goes over your nose.
They are tough to get used to.
A CPAP is constantly pushing air into you, they are awful.
What you really want is a BI-PAP machine, they only push air when you breathe in, there is no air pressure when you exhale. So try to get a BI-PAP machine, and you want the full face mask, like a fighter jet pilot wears.
Much easier to wear, to live with, and to get the sleep you need.
I don't care if you believe me about anything else, but a BI-PAP with a full mask will be your new best friend, give it a try, dude. It just might save your life, actually.
edit on 17-5-2015 by Scdfa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Osiris1953

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've had several bouts of sleep paralysis, including a few where I'm dreaming about being taken and interfered with by aliens, but I just can't make the leap to it being anything other than just my brain doing its stuff.

Along side the sleep paralysis, I've had a few other odd incidents, namely missing time, waking up in unusual places and unexplained bruises. Personally, I just put this down to sleep walking.

I would say, however, I had absolutely no interest or knowledge in anything alien or ufo related up until about 5 years ago; I've since found myself being drawn into this world. Prior to this I did find myself creating alien-themed artwork, and writing UFO/alien themed short stories, but never thought anything of it - or thought to question why. Admittedly, it all seems a bit odd now as I had zero knowledge or interest in the topic.

Anyway, in summary, I guess I'm saying maybe there is something in it, who knows. I hear stories from people who confidently claim to be abductees, and I find myself with matching experiences, but I don't for one minute think I have been abducted. For me, the human mind is crazy and wonderful, and is more than capable of generating these experiences.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Guys? Gals?

It's not "the sleep paralysis" all by itself. The "I can't move" part is just a feature of the overall syndrome.

It's the temporal lobes and the network in the brain that they are part of that creates the fireworks.

I have found from experience, direct experience here at ATS, that I can't use words like "syndrome" and "seizure" when trying to discuss this stuff, because of their mental health connotations.

That's totally on you guys.

*shrug*

Here is likely the best thing I have found written on the subject to come out of the UFO community...

The Investigator's Edge, No. 11

Haz a nice day.

P.S. Also: In terms of sleep paralysis or temporal lobe epilepsy/lability being "it", or "all there is to it". That's silly. It's not "the final word" on anything; it's the beginning.
edit on 18-5-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Osiris1953
Interesting theory. I wouldn't find it strange if this was the case. Ive been paralyzed a lot of time in my bed.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I used to have sleep paralysis A LOT in my teen years/early 20's; but it's stopped with a few rare occasions here and there. I used have some pretty freaky episodes.
This morning, I woke up early. Must have been about 4 or 5 in the morning. I could hear voices and I saw a torpedo type object near the ceiling of my bedroom in my bedroom. It was like I was in sleep paralysis; but it felt a bit different.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ive experienced it a few times, it literally felt like the mind was floating in space, disconnected from the body.

Ive recreated it a few times as well.

The more you go in the more scary it feels the more it makes you wanna come back

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

From what I can gather, its not really the Sleep Paralysis that is being blamed for abductions, its the false memory that is developed after and the belief of what is happening during. I have had many bouts of SP and never experienced being abducted so I am obviously missing an ingredient or two.

Raises hand.

Yup. I'd say maybe 10% of my SP episodes involve one flavor or another of little space buddies.

In my yoot, nearly 100%. Although on thinking about it, only maybe two have been typical 'greys'. I get Elves and Blue Doctors.

Maybe the Grey Away® works.

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It's pretty obvious they do because every alien encounter is explained by sleep paralysis. They probably have some natural ability to communicate telepathically and to enter our senses and mind. Could creatures not evolve to do this?

We became number one on the food chain because of our opposable thumb, making tools, fire, shelter, weapons, etc...Why couldn't an animal on an alien world evolve to be number one on the food chain because of their strong telepathic abilities?

posted on Jan, 27 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Do You get night terrors?

I'm also curious why you have significant episodes of alien motif sp?

Were you fixated on alien motif mythology when young?

Or have you ever had a seemingly real experience you've not shared with is?

Only if not too personal..

Kev

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Osiris1953
To be clear, what I mean is in the case of many alien abductions, the victim is already undergoing the process of sleep paralysis and this is exploited to more easily abduct the victim. As opposed to aliens controlling and paralyzing your body, or it simply being explained away as sleep paralysis. I'm simply saying that in at least some instances they go hand in hand.
more importantly some CE3K abduction stories have this state being induced on people who are not only awake but standing, walking, running, terrified, alert or otherwise not near a REM or hypnogogic state.

granting several improbable assumptions such as aliens and abductions are real...

coupling this to the recent scientific discovery of a consciousness on off switch in human brain anatomy it is possible that the sleep paralysis switch is similarly locatable and that technology can be created that reliably toggles one or both remotely. It would make an awesome science fiction-esque stunner weapon.

edit on 28-1-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

It would seem that at least some MILABS are probably true if nothing else.

Kev

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear
a reply to: stormbringer1701

It would seem that at least some MILABS are probably true if nothing else.

Kev

I was in the military for 20 years. from experience; the military is very good a killing people and breaking things, logistics and other stuff but in many ways it cannot find it's ass with both hands. I have a hard time believing some sort of Sorcerous super science uber conspiracy is one of the former. granted the military did experiment on members sometimes without knowledge or consent, sometimes by coercion, sometimes by blunder or misadventure; but no way in heck they can pull off most of the crap they get accused of in terms of massive covert sinister programs carried out without error or discovery or whistleblowers.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join