It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help I am concerned...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I know the whole phenomenon but I can't stop seeing 11... 11:11, 9:11, 5:11 etc.... What does it really mean and why am I seeing it multiple times a day in every variation?

Gs

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles, or one or two line OPs, in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

edit on 2/11/2013 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I bet you see a lot of others numbers as well, you just notice recognisable ones like 11:11. This happens all the time.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GermanShep

If it is happening in a way that is making you uncomfortable and frightened, you might want to think about consulting a doctor. Numerical fixations can be indicative of OCD or OCPD. Severe anxiety also might apply.

Getting a diagnosis is key, however, because resolving it is highly dependent upon the diagnosis. If it's anxiety the answer would be to simply force yourself to avoid seeing the numbers as best you can, until the problem rights itself. But OCD or OCPD might require doing exactly the opposite.

Whatever the case, good luck to you.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Heffs correct
There is part at the base of your brain that recognises what to pick out.
It's the same reason I can take Mrs C to a music festival with 50 000 people and the first thing will notice is that "She has the same shoes as me"
It maybe indicative of an obsession
Well worth a talk with your Doctor.

I certainly wouldn't presume to diagnose you however How to make those everyday obsessions go away may be worth a read.

Cody

edit on 11-2-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-2-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

too much time on ats

but not to say that [snip]doesnt get weird

it does everyday
edit on 11-2-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

It has a name: Apophenia

or False Pattern Recognition.

There are various forms and interpretations of False pattern recognition common on this site with Pareidolia, Synchronicity, Type I errors and many other common fallacies misinterpreted as having more significance or any significance at all.

We're also pattern recognition machines. Would you attach as much significance to it if 11 was expressed only as a roman numeral; XI ?
XI XI

Consider also Hefficide's suggestion regarding OCD.
I'm not the only person that has agreed.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

It has a name: Apophenia

or False Pattern Recognition.

There are various forms and interpretations of False pattern recognition common on this site with Pareidolia, Synchronicity, Type I errors and many other common fallacies misinterpreted as having more significance or any significance at all.

We're also pattern recognition machines. Would you attach as much significance to it if 11 was expressed only as a roman numeral; XI ?
XI XI

Consider also Hefficide's suggestion regarding OCD.
I'm not the only person that has agreed.

Don't you mean CDO it's like OCD
BUT THE LETTERS ARE IN THE CORRECT ORDER
Sorry couldn't resist it

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Think about the Movie "21", remember that?

Similar effects can be seen all the time. Ever bought a new car and started to see that everywhere?

Heff is right, you should probably see how this develops and maybe even see a doctor.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Just for your FYI have been seeing the number 11:11 and only the number 11:11 and I remember when it first started, all the way back to August 1996 it started one particular day. For years I thought I was the only one. I still see it, it occurs with enough synchronicity for me to know its not my imagination. I have no explanation for what it means, but my opinion is is that it is a signal, and millions of people around the world are seeing it.

As for other numbers that people see, like 23 or 911 or things like that could be influences by movies and traumatic events, sometimes, I'll catch 9:11 on the clock and it makes me to remember that day, BUT I know that I just happened to see it, the 11:11 phenomenon is different, when the signal is coming at you, it will let you know it's not your imagination.

I think also, some people are receiving the 11:11 signal but then their imagination is leading them to notice other
patterns also, this has also happened to me, but that goes away once you realize that seeing 5555 or 6666 does not occur with the same frequency or passion as the number 11:11

I've been seeing it for for going on 17 years now, and I do believe its a signal and I do believe its good, and back before anyone even heard of this, I've talked with others and they were just as startled as I was that other people
were seeing it also.

REBEL 5

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by rebelv

First of all, FYI means For Your Information, so you can leave the "for your" away.

Second and most important of all, all you said has nothing to do with the reasons WHY you see these things.

Here is a little fact for you: Everybody of us sees these numbers from time to time, it is a statistical inevitability. Some people don´t think any of it, and some few people start to think about it. And then pattern recognition starts and then posts like yours are produced.

You can think you see 11:11 more often than others fine. Riddle me this: WHY?

What is the supposed meaning behind that? Hmm? The devil? God? Is someone from the future trying to send you a message? What supposed influence is that supposed to have?

Or in other words: Why should you even care?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nightaudit

"first of all' starts a conversation off hostile, if you are hostile, why are you even reading this thread?

I don't want to argue. I said, I saw this SPECIFIC number sequence years before I heard anyone else was, so I was not influenced by anyone else. What, did I start the phenomenon? I don't think so. I think many people started seeing it even before I did.

Its one thing to be a skeptic, but its quite another to offer explanations that do not necessarily explain the phenomenon and just make it fit and ignore what it doesn't explain--

What, do you think this is a case of "mass hypnosis?"

Man, that has got to be one of the weakest arguments I've ever heard.

REBEL 5

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rebelv

The prefix "first of all" has no meaning in itself. For example I could say "first of all I like your hair."

It would be a lie but it would be possible.

And in regards to your number phenomenon. It´s a case of a few hundred weirdos connecting over the internet and reinforcing each others beliefs. And in your specific case I really do mean a few hundred at best. Maybe a few tens of thousands believe in the 11:11 nonsense but your case is a bit more specific.

And you still haven´t answered me what the supposed message or meaning is? Why should you care if you can never figure out what it means? What is the reason for that number obsession? Or better, what could you possibly gain?
edit on 14-2-2013 by Nightaudit because: spelling

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebelv

What, do you think this is a case of "mass hypnosis?"

Man, that has got to be one of the weakest arguments I've ever heard.

Aaand who made that argument? You did.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
I bet you see a lot of others numbers as well, you just notice recognisable ones like 11:11. This happens all the time.

That's a dishonest argument. Firstly, you beg the question by making the assumption without evidence that he sees just as many other numbers yet you ignore the problem for your explanation why he seems to remember only 11:11. It does NOT happen all the time. That is to deny what the OP is claiming. What only happens all the time is his seeing just ONE combination - which is clearly not normal because it defies chance. Of course, you know that and so you had to pretend it is not really happening by proposing that he is obsessed only with ONE number. Which begs the question because it fails to explain why he should focus only on one of the many numbers you fantasize he notices but ignores during the course of each day.

Fail.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GermanShep
I know the whole phenomenon but I can't stop seeing 11... 11:11, 9:11, 5:11 etc.... What does it really mean and why am I seeing it multiple times a day in every variation?

Gs

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles, or one or two line OPs, in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

I really can't answer that question for you other than with a mundane: just a coincidence and you're focusing on the numbers more than any other numbers so that is what you remember even though you actually see other numbers, as well.

In the event that the above explanation isn't true: Relax. What can a series of repeating numbers really do to you, anyway? They can't cause you any physical harm.

-TheGhoster
edit on 14-2-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

You're right about the phrase 'first of all' but its been my experience when someone starts a
reply with first of all, its usually going to be hostile. I apologize for implying that you were
being hostile. I can tell you're just a skeptic, which is fine, but my problem with a lot of
skeptics is they just want to offer some kind of simple explanation and say 'see, that's what
it is', that's not scientific. It reminds me of explanations like 'Mass Hypnosis' which I
understand that you never made that argument, but isn't your assumption that people are
reading about the 11:11 phenomenon on the internet and it re-enforcing their beliefs kind
of fit into that kind of an explanation.

You said I didn't answer a couple of your questions, I will try to do that now.

To your first question I wouldn't define it as an obsession, not at all. It's not something I think
a lot about as a matter of fact, usually when the number inundates me, I'm not even thinking
about it at all. It's something that I have just accepted over the years as a phenomenon, and
I now know that there are a lot of other people who experience it. I have made posts and
included the number without any explanation in my post and have received messages saying
'Why did you pick that particular number-- I see that number all the time' and the persons
I believe were genuinely unaware that anyone else was experiencing the same phenomenon.

To address the second parts of the question, I never said I understood what the message is.
I have read lot's of people's opinions as to what the message is, as you've said they've even
wrote books about it. I don't agree with any of them, maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong,
MY OPINION, and I think it would be arrogant of me to have more than an opinion, since I really
do not know what the message means, but its my opinion, that it is a signal, and that the
message is good. I don't know if this is true, but I think the message is trying to connect people
together, that they realize they're all experiencing the same phenomenon, but again, that's
just my opinion. I don't have a crystal ball.

I have nothing to gain. I never asked to experience this phenomenon, and as far as I know I
have nothing to gain by it except that I find it intriguing, Its also my suspicion that its coming
from E.T.'s. I was reluctantant to say that since its a bit off topic but you said I wasn't
answering your questions.

edit on 14-2-2013 by rebelv because: becuase the spacing was all screwed up.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

Just google pattern recognition. The reasons have been explained numerous times.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by rebelv

Phew. I am far away from a sceptic. I am very open, but in comparison to yourself I have a little experience. And yes, I do allow myself to question things and I do value common sense.

I do however believe in god I am pretty open about new theories, theological or scientific.

Believing in hybrids and the like does not mean you´re more open or informed. It means you´re maybe still more naive.

But let me address your points. I would agree that you do not consciously look out for that pattern, but you have to acknowledge that these processes happen SUBconsciously. That is a huge difference.

It´s like buying a poodle. Suddenly you see a lot more poodles! But that is not because you actively look for them it is because your subconscious recognizes them.

The second part was about the meaning. Well I see you agree that you do not know it, and you are self aware enough to admit that you can only form an opinion.

Now the question remains. If there is no way of knowing the meaning, what is the point of all this?

You never consciously asked for the "phenomenon", yet you write here about it. Can´t you see what your subconscious would do with that? How can you not recognize these numbers at this point?

edit on 14-2-2013 by Nightaudit because: spelling

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I'm sorry but where do you see the numbers? in the sky or on a clock?
edit on 14-2-2013 by SecretaryOfBacon because: deleted a few un-needed details

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I don't know what the point is. I was hoping that would eventually be revealed. You say you
believe in God, so do I. We don't always understand why God does things (not saying God is doing this) but that we may understand someday.

I knew the sub-conscious argument was coming, I was going to address it even before you brought it up.

Look, all I can say is that I believe the phenomenon is real. How is that any different than people saying
they've seen Jesus or The Blessed Mary? Or believe in this phenomenon?

I appreciate that you are open minded. Perhaps I am naive, like you said, but I also believe that 'more will be revealed...'

BTW I appreciate our conversation.

Rebel 5

top topics

<<   2 >>

join