It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell happened to music???

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Yeah I am really loving her Warm Inventions!

I didn't realize Hope had more stuff to enjoy until about a year or so ago!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
as a mater of fact I am going to keep going. it's one thing to talk about their being no music but let's put it to the test.

rap is crap aye? we'll if you think that you are probably close minded anyway, so I'm sure nothing will change your mind, but there's some great hip hop being made right now.

Or all this music with computer sounds that's not "real" because it doesn't have a 1 hour guitar solo. I the people who make it are very talented and creative. I don't know, it sounds like real music to me.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I don't have a video, but this is an .mp3 of a song written by someone I know,

I think it is lovely, simple, easy listening, and not the type of music that deafens a person with 100 instrumentents played out of tune.

www.soundclick.com...

Classical music is a style that will always be popular, but now that the entertainment industry, with Hollywood, has taken over by the 'Illuminati", I suspect it will be only those who sold their souls to the devil who will be cutting records, receiving awards, and being payed regularly on the radio.

As good example of one who did NOT 'play ball' is Susan Boyle. She has talent became a millionaire on her talent alone! Can you see her smuggling coc aine between the USA and Scotland?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I do not know what the definition of "good" music is but I know what *I* personally like. Some of my favorite music is actually from the 40s-50s. I enjoy classical quite a bit, a little ska, oldies, alternative, just about anything. My least favorite would have to be rap but even then I have found examples within "rap" I actually enjoy and have found many examples within other areas listed above that I don't... I think it is just a matter of taste for the particular person. The biggest issue I have found with "popular" music played on the radio stations is that much of the music coming out just sounds so similar that it seems to me that the originality is disappearing. Having said that... in the last couple of years I have found that my favorite "new" music is not what you typically find on the radio (least not around here!) but found while surfing through youtube and seeing what is out there. Some awesome stuff to be found. =) Currently I have to say that my two favorites would be Syren and Sick Puppies. But again, different people have different tastes and beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?

Sick Puppies - Riptide

Sick Puppies - Odd One

Syren

Syren Band Site (More samples of music...)

edit on 10-2-2013 by pslr2301 because: ^ The typo queen... =P

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Is this music? or does simply being new disqualify it?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mahatche

Santigold would be considered hiphop?

Easily one of my favorite newish groups! Love it.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Santigold would be considered hiphop?

Easily one of my favorite newish groups! Love it.

no I wouldn't consider santi hip hop. Her music is more electronic new waveish. It's hard to categorize her sound really. I included her music as music with computer sounds since the OP said computer sounds can't be music.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Thanks for the sound. As good as it gets... for cover. Way back bands did each other a lot. Remember Rare Earth?

Funky, from "MA":

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
This really shows all you up as ignorant judgemental fools.

You say this isnt music because it doesnt take skill to produce. it does. Anyone is welcome to come round to my house, I will sit them in front of a keyboard, synthesiser, sampler, computer. I will even show them how to use the instruments. I will then proceed to wait for them to produce a creative and original song. I'll even be kind when the day is over and theyve got nothing but a steaming pile of dog# in front of them.

People appreciate different kinds of music. Most people are fairly simple. Melody or a good chord progression, throw in a story to keep their short attention span... bang. F G E... that is apparently 'music'

Alot of misunderstood electronic music is about rhythm, timbral dynamic and the psychological effect of meditation/trance-like states. It is repetitive for a REASON and it is repetitive in very certain ways that cause very measurable effects on the mind. Melody is subtle because you need to work slowly to entrance the mind. there are no obvious blaring changes like a pop song.

Things like dubstep are more like punk rock.. theyre about energy and power, something shocking to the ears that causes an adrenaline rush. If you've ever heard it from a big system you can feel the energy.

You think people just throw a bunch of loops together... no. Well.. a select few do, yes. Theyre known as phoneys or sellouts. But behind them (whether given credit or not) someone created that content. and most of course do not use loops unless theyre a 12 year old with an iphone who thinks theyre a DJ.

Thats another thing. A DJ is a DJ. Some DJs are producers, some producers are DJs. They are 2 separate things though. Insulting a DJ because he doesn't play an instrument is a bit like insulting a conductor. The reason we usually see a DJ rather than a live performance is because often the things happening in the music are impossible to be performed in realtime. This is one of the benefits of playing premade music.. things can happen that are physically imposssible in realtime.

Now for this idea of instruments...
Can you tune a guitar? Imagine tuning a guitar with 40 knobs that do different things PER string.
Great, so you can pluck patterns in 6 strings, and push your finger on the right spot on the neck? Maybe even 12 strings? Now imagine a piano where you can squeeze the keys to alter the sound as it plays, and instead of 3 pedals it has 20.. easy right? Absolutely no potential for creating art either, of course, because it's based on the flow of electrons rather than the vibration of atoms.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartesia
This really shows all you up as ignorant judgemental fools.

You say this isnt music because it doesnt take skill to produce. it does. Anyone is welcome to come round to my house, I will sit them in front of a keyboard, synthesiser, sampler, computer. I will even show them how to use the instruments. I will then proceed to wait for them to produce a creative and original song. I'll even be kind when the day is over and theyve got nothing but a steaming pile of dog# in front of them.

People appreciate different kinds of music. Most people are fairly simple. Melody or a good chord progression, throw in a story to keep their short attention span... bang. F G E... that is apparently 'music'

Alot of misunderstood electronic music is about rhythm, timbral dynamic and the psychological effect of meditation/trance-like states. It is repetitive for a REASON and it is repetitive in very certain ways that cause very measurable effects on the mind. Melody is subtle because you need to work slowly to entrance the mind. there are no obvious blaring changes like a pop song.

Things like dubstep are more like punk rock.. theyre about energy and power, something shocking to the ears that causes an adrenaline rush. If you've ever heard it from a big system you can feel the energy.

You think people just throw a bunch of loops together... no. Well.. a select few do, yes. Theyre known as phoneys or sellouts. But behind them (whether given credit or not) someone created that content. and most of course do not use loops unless theyre a 12 year old with an iphone who thinks theyre a DJ.

Thats another thing. A DJ is a DJ. Some DJs are producers, some producers are DJs. They are 2 separate things though. Insulting a DJ because he doesn't play an instrument is a bit like insulting a conductor. The reason we usually see a DJ rather than a live performance is because often the things happening in the music are impossible to be performed in realtime. This is one of the benefits of playing premade music.. things can happen that are physically imposssible in realtime.

Now for this idea of instruments...
Can you tune a guitar? Imagine tuning a guitar with 40 knobs that do different things PER string.
Great, so you can pluck patterns in 6 strings, and push your finger on the right spot on the neck? Maybe even 12 strings? Now imagine a piano where you can squeeze the keys to alter the sound as it plays, and instead of 3 pedals it has 20.. easy right? Absolutely no potential for creating art either, of course, because it's based on the flow of electrons rather than the vibration of atoms.

I applaud you good sir!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by n3mesis
Dubstep and the whole electronic genre can be produced by one person with a computer and a few programs and while some stuff is catchy it's no where near what i'd call an art form.. as for "what happened to music" it's kinda more about your genre of choice.. my choice is safe.. i listen to punk, hardcore.. etc.. and while i admit there's crapy bands in all genres, the majority of bands i love are very passionate and most importantly.. broke! haha so you know they aren't in it for cash and fame. anyway.. it's all about personal preference.

One person can play the piano, it doesn't mean anything. This simplification of electronic music is a joke. The appeal to nature fallacy being used against electronic music is a joke.

It's also quite telling of the ignorance of some people that you think electronic means some dude sat in his kitchen banging out tunes on a pc. Just because a group makes electronic music doesn't mean what they do begins and ends with computer software.

One of my favs is the Cinematic Orchestra. "The Cinematic Orchestra is a British jazz and electronic outfit, created in 1999 by Jason Swinscoe. The band is signed to independent record label Ninja Tune. In addition to Swinscoe, the band includes former DJ Food member PC (Patrick Carpenter) on turntables, Luke Flowers (drums), Tom Chant (Saxophone), Nick Ramm (piano), Stuart McCallum (guitar) and Phil France (double bass). Former members include Jamie Coleman (trumpet), T. Daniel Howard (drums), Federico Ughi (drums), Alex James (piano), and Clean Sadness (synthesizer, programming). The most recent addition to the band is Mancunian guitarist Stuart McCallum."

This isn't unusual for electronic groups.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Yeah I didnt see you gave a second description until after I posted. Well I enjoyed a few of the other songs you posted quite a bit! Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by WP4YT
I'm a hardcore Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd fan, so you know I think most music these days is baaad.

However I will say, some of the music that's been out in the last 2 years has vastly improved, there's actually some decent bands out there now. Like Muse.. I know they are not new, but they seem to only now just be getting on the radio and in the mainstream. Or that Irish band. But I would say before that, between 1999 through 2011 there wasn't a single good band or singer out there... nothing but crap.

Muse went crap after their second album. Is your post some sort of parody?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Another of my favourites is Wax Tailor, but i've only had limited exposure to electronic music so I'm not the best person to ask. Wax Tailor I really like, wicked sense of humour and who doesn't take himself too seriously, maybe not the best artist to name for the haters because he likes to use old movie/tv samples excessively

I also like some Pepe Deluxe but hit or miss with them. The Cinematic Orchestra who I already named are very good.

give it a chance, i guarantee there's an electronic subgenre or sound that 99% of people enjoy. People seem to get the wrong idea about what electronic music actually is from my experience.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
People acting like all music has to be incredibly complex to be good are hilarious too.

I can think of so many great blues songs that keep it simple, but still hit you with great impact.

All of you people blabbering about complexity, Is this song horrible in your mind?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

What about this song. Its better then any dubstep crap you will find. And yes there is dubstep in it. Some people. Post without any musical knowledge what so ever. OP has no idea what he is talking about. Deathstep. Now i don't listen to just dubstep and all that. But man. theres some good stuff out there you just gotta find it.
edit on 10-2-2013 by CrypticSouthpaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   

edit on 10-2-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

That song was beautiful moos, thank you =)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

This is the stuff. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join