It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell happened to music???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

"I listen to everything. I am 30 years old, I like oldies, I like hip hop, jazz, classical, I like all forms of music. Because it is just that, music. "

HIP HOP... not rap! Gimme a listen, you should be pleased. Thanks and let me know what you think?
"Eternal Soldier" "Mental capacity" just to name a few.

www.reverbnation.com...

Also, check the user Tyler Knight... he just posted a link to his album here on the site a couple days ago.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by spruceyb

The Knife is putting out a new album?? No way. That's awesome!

Heard her solo stuff? Fever Ray.

edit on 9-2-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I checked the Tyler Knight stuff and actually liked it quite a bit. I really am trying to like at least one or two of the dubstep songs linked. But so far none have connected with me at all. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This is why Apple gave us the iPod. I rarely listen to broadcast media. Firstly, they "force feed" us the stuff they get paid to air., Secondly, a large part of it is all auto tuned.

Personally, I prefer a more acoustic sound. So, I can load up my iPod and live happily ever after.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

You know what happened to the music, is you got old.

edit on 9-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

Dubstep is to music what a computer virus is to music.

LOL!

I think it's more accurate to say Dubstep is to music what social media is to professional media....

ANYONE can do it.

I think that's the draw, the average person can create something with it and it generally makes you move.

Originally posted by celticdog
You are 28 you sound like an old man
Older people never listened to new music when I was young well not the ones I knew. I vowed not to be like them and expand and be willing to grow with new music.

I am totally right there with you. A few years ago I was feeling very disenfranchised from music and kind of got depressed a bit about it, having been very into music my whole life.

I literally forced myself to listen to the more current tunes, despite my disgust and artistic prejudice. It took a while, but I started to appreciate some of it and now I can tell the crap from the good stuff. Plus I feel less out-of-touch or marginalized from the whole scene.

I just didn't want to go out like that. LOL!

I'm pretty impressed with several of the Grammy nominees this year, maybe the tide toward authenticity is turning...

edit on 2/9/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Dubstep.

Hmmm mixed feelings.

I think it's cool when I hear it I can't help but imagine I am a giant transformer dancing. On the other hand I find it much less satisfying as other branches of the electronic genre. Feels too repetitive for me. Obviously lots of people love it so that's awesome. Doesn't really make my skin crawl or my soul sing.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Dubstep.......I think they forgot the M.......duMbstep. I hear it and want to break things that don't belong to me. As in the speaker it's coming out of. Yea I'm old too. Been listening to RUSH since I was about 13yrs old. That's music by real musicians. Who actually play a musical instrument.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Okay I don't mean to poke fun at dubstep really, but THIS is funny hahaha

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This thread makes me both happy and sad, happy many are open minded and can accept new types of music sad because of just the opposite, the narrow-mindedness that discard anything modern as trash. You don't necessarily have to like dubstep but all that is released these days is not trash.

I believe many misunderstand the the term music producer which could be the corporate fat cat you all now about but it also refers to an artist who mostly uses the computer to compose songs, they are the modern day composers you could say but the need of an entire orchestra has been replaced by the computer and a lot of new ways to process sound has been invented. So instead of being limited to just the classical instruments they can actually make the sound they think they need tailored to their needs and they are also not limited by the proficiency of the performers since the computer will do it perfectly every time; unlocking almost limitless possibilities for creativity.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate traditional music more, I like to see proficient players of any instrument perform a song with out most devotion and feeling. But I can appreciate well composed electronic songs almost as much, not in a live environment though, you just can't beat a good human performance in feeling.

We would all be so tired of classical music if we hadn't created new forms of music. When Mozart first hit the scene many people thought he was radical and that he created horrid unharmonious music which doesn't even occur to us, dissonance today for most people would be somewhere toward harder rock music I suppose or dubstep. There is no difference today from what happened back then.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the progress we have made, we are just building on a foundation that will always be there and we have a lot to thank the old guys for (especially you Bach!).

I listen to almost anything, classical, rock, trance, metal, hiphop/rap, raggae, jazz and much else I can't remember to mention, I also try to listen to music I don't like to see if I find something to like in my less traveled categories of music.

In regard to producers I would say in my opinion that the most talented producers of our day is Infected Mushroom for their boundless creativity and attention to detail that most others wouldn't come close to, not to mention that their productions are among the best sounding on this earth (their recording quality is awesome and sounds incredible in a good sound system at almost any volume without distortion). I'm not saying everyone has to like them but objectively they are very talented and put a great amount of work into their music and as long as you do that no one can claim your music is bad.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Just google the Beatles Feb 9th 1964 EdSullivan performance. That's music- and geez they are doing it live! No pre-recording no BS

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Konoyaro

I think a lot of people get stuck in the past and they can't move past it. It tempers the way they think about everything. Music is so integral to people's life experiences. I think some people can't embrace new sound because they can't let go of their memories.

As for the poster referring to the Beatles, this will shock you and probably cause people to explode in rage, but I have never liked the Beatles. I've never gotten it, I just ain't into it. I don't bash it though.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

You do know that Bach and composers don't usually play the instruments almost at all they just hear the music in their head and write it down on paper for others to play and interpret. It's incredible to have that talent to keep that in your head and now what all the instruments sound like. I have no idea how Beethoven did since he was deaf, how did he now when to use certain type of sounds? :/ Now days normal people can do it by the computer which keeps track of it instead, making life easier. But of course watching music performed live by humans is unbeatable, if the performers are good that is
But computers break the boundaries we humans have trouble transcending thus making new music possible, it's wonderful I think. I still think acoustic instruments will remain and be popular as people appreciate watching other humans performing, I know I will be loving it until the day I die, I play guitar by the way.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Good points...maybe they get stuck because the teen and early 20's are so formative because everything is so new. It's powerful and strong and hard to let go of the feelings associated with the music associated with that age, no matter the era.

ETA...Similar...it took me awhile and a couple of kids to appreciate the Beatles. Curious.

edit on 2/9/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Konoyaro

Beethoven was not deaf most of his life nor was his deafness a permanent fixture. It came and went and was likely due to an autoimmune disorder. How did he do it? Well, not to demystify music, but in the end music theory is just abstract math. It's easy to figure out what works when you know the basics.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I am a little "devil may care" in my attitude toward them. I think it's ok, a bit boring though and I tend to hate what everyone else so loves.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Okay so what is the difference between playing the guitar and making music on the computer? I'm not talking skrillex type dubstep I'm talking about this stuff:

I'm sorry but how is that any different to somebody who can pick up a guitar, meet a few people who play other instruments and construct a piece of music?
Emotion and passion goes into any 'real' music no matter the genre or sound. Just because you've heard a few tracks in a genre that you don't like, doesn't give you the right to say anyone can do it.
It's close minded. Anyone can play the guitar. Anyone can sing. Anyone can do anything. It's the talent that sets them apart.
edit on 9/2/13 by Tumble because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

I think it's more accurate to say Dubstep is to music what social media is to professional media....

ANYONE can do it.

Errrrmmmm....not sure It's easy to agree with you.....anyone can pick up a guitar and/or sing ( quite badly in most case's ) but I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't know how to even begin composing or producing dubstep...and yes I'm sure there are people who can make it without much effort and talent....and it shows, just like in other genre's of music.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tumble

You are right in many ways....but music is so intangible and totally dependent on the listener.

It takes talent to put together an arrangement, regardless of the instrument. So, I'm not criticizing. Sorry if it came off that way. I would love to be a musician and not just a sideline aficionado.

But, we all have our preferences and, when so many agree on what IS good, it's hard to argue. I try to understand it, personally - though I didn't always have such an open mind.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Well, the problem is we are using the word "Talent" and that is a very subjective thing. I hear singers all the time who a lauded as wonderful and I just can't stand them. I'm sure others experience the same thing in different ways. In many ways what you perceive as talent has a lot to do with your level of "education". I have sung for years (classically), study at the college level and know my theory. I tend to be a lot picker than the average person so I have to temper my judgement a little because I can come off as an elitist jerk.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Deny Ignorance, right?

Dubstep has been around in some form for nearly a decade over in the UK - When it hit North America, producers just took it in an awful direction and a byproduct of this new direction meant the original cerebral vibe was lost.

Skrillex, et al, are to Dubstep what Avril Lavigne is to Punk - i.e. a cheap knock off marketed to kids because it's "cool", so criticising the genre as some kind of crime against music is as close-minded as thinking the newspapers never lie (!)

...And I've just noticed someone's posted a Burial mix - THIS is what Dubstep is all about.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join