It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Horse lasagne' sparks new UK food scare.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

You do realise that there are lists of best selling books right? And I mean OFFICIAL lists? Like the one I posted, from the Guardian Article... and it has some cookbooks on it, just nowhere the top, like you seem to think.
And you don’t realise there is a difference between TOP TEN SELLING and BEST SELLING but you are to far up your own exhaust pipe to admit your error.

The continuous cookery programmes on the TV also shows your claim people dont care about what they eat is wrong.

You again do not even acknowledge the misleading labelling regarding trans fats and the damage that causes.

When small minded people like you start to issue insults I know my point has been made and that is all you have in answer.

Edit the supermarket that was selling the horsemeat now admits it delayed telling the public so again caught in a lie they hoped they could get away with but you keep on blaming the consumer.

edit on 9-2-2013 by colin42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe
You shouldn't really argue about it when your sources show different results.

The title 'Best Selling' usually contains a time period. If you look at 2012 sales in the UK for example, you will see cook books in the top ten best sellers...

guardian.co.uk

Not really... One was a list of the best selling books of all time in the UK (the Guardian link)
One was a list of the best selling books ever worldwide (the wiki link)

And yours is best selling in the UK in one year?

Now as Sherlock said that cookbooks are among the best selling books, his claim was something like 3 in the top 10 and the best selling was number 1.... I would assume his claim would have been about the best selling books ever!!

Why would you claim that a cookbook is THE best selling book... but really you only mean in one year in the UK?? Pretty stupid really huh?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Ah.... idiots, what can ya do eh?

So... here are your quotes about the cook books..... you gave no reference to which list, the time scale or parameters of your "top/best selling" books.

So let's just deal with them for the last time in one post.

Originally posted by colin42
In the top 5 selling books list there are 3 diet/cook books and at number one is 'fast diets' and that has been the case for many years.

Actually false.

Cookbooks very rarely feature near the top of any top selling list, well official lists anyway.

2012 - two cookbooks

www.guardian.co.uk...

2011 - one cookbook

www.guardian.co.uk...

A similar pattern emerges every year.... and none are The best selling

Let's ignore 3 of the top 5 selling books are cookery books then

But they're not.

How is the fact that the No 1 selling book is a cookery book and 3 of the top 5 irrelevant? It shows you are wrong when you imply the majority don’t care about healthy eating.

See.... THE number one selling book??? Such a vague, stupid statement.

THE number one selling book has NEVER been a cookbook.

There are actually 2 in the top ten for 2012, that's it.

www.guardian.co.uk...

It's actually quite pathetic to see you keep going on and on and trying to play games and being obtuse and thinking you;re clever, and that you're right.

You're not.

The facts go against what you say.

Thank you, good day.

edit on 9/2/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Oh just grow up

The point I was making is that there are clearly many people that do care about what they eat which your generalisation ignores.

In France where they eat horse meat the same Findus beef lasagne packets are being taken off the shelves.

A food law expert on the BBC is saying that there is a very high probability this is a criminal act and unlikely to be due to a mistake

You want to talk about eating habits that is plain but calling others morons and idiots for pointing out you are not addressing the real issues here is childish.

Now you are pursuing some silly game of semantics and again not addressing the issues of the OP

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
The fact is, this case is criminal, fraudulent and negligent.

These products are not just slightly contaminated, they have been knowingly or unknowingly buying horse meat for the production of their products and passing it off as something else. Probably because it's cheaper, their profit margain is higher to line their pockets.

Some of these products have been shown to have pork in them aswell. Even products that claim they are 100% beef. I feel sorry for people who have eaten these products who don't eat pork because of religious ideals.

To me it's of little surprise that these incredibly cheap and nasty foods are now hitting the headlines. I've known for years that they likely have just about anything in them and probably use many fillers and parts of an animal that you wouldn't even want to think about. Parts that even our ancestors would probably leave for the carrion birds, or use for bait in the next hunt.

But....

How have they got away with this for so long? Where are the strict testing regulations that we are lead to believe takes place with our foods?

These foods have also been tested for other chemicals and contain traces of the drug Phenylbutazone. This is an NSAID drug, used by vets for mainly horses and dogs. It was once marketed for humans, but was found to be dangerous and banned for human use. This tells me one thing. The horse they are using are not horses that are farmed for human consumption, they are using any old horse that has passed through the knackers yard.
Of course even our farmed animals get pumped full of drugs, but people are becoming more savvy about this and as far as i'm aware, the EU has banned the use of antibiotics in farmed animals, but they are still widely used in the US and other Countries.

A lot of us on here know to stear clear of this kind of processed garbage that is now making the headlines.

But what of others that buy this stuff regularly? Boycott it. Cook from fresh. Try and buy fresh foods from your own country, this will help national farms and hopefully put a stop to these criminal companies.

Get as much Quick and easy cook from fresh recipes and cooking from fresh on a budget information as you can, it really isnt that hard and time consuming.
Get yourselves and your kids interested in cooking from fresh, it's a fun family activity and with all of you taking part, it takes less time.
There's a whole generation that have no idea how to cook or where half of our food even comes from. Teach them healthy cooking and eating habits, which will then be passed on to their children and their childrens, children.

Whilst you're at it, boycott anything with Aspartame, MSG and any other nasty artificial rubbish they put in our foods. If you keep buying this stuff, they will continue to produce it and continue to cut corners to line their pockets.

It's a tall order, but we have to start somewhere, right?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by novahcain

Methinks you've either posted in the wrong thread or you are spamming.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

I know of many people who buy cookbooks, or receive them as a present, even people who sit and watch cookery programmes religiously.

Whilst these people start off with good intentions and want to have a go at playing chef, they often revert back to bad eating habits because of the convenience.

They allow their books to become dusty on a shelf and stick something processed in the oven or microwave and plonk themselves in front of the television to watch their favourite cookery programme whilst spooning garbage into their mouths.

It's like all those diet fad books. Try it for a while, then stick it on the shelf and forget about it.

Yes there are people who genuinely eat healthy and cook from fresh, but they are not the majority in this day and age.

edit on 9-2-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
reply to post by colin42

I know of many people who buy cookbooks, or receive them as a present, even people who sit and watch cookery programmes religiously.

Whilst these people start off with good intentions and want to have a go at playing chef, they often revert back to bad eating habits because of the convenience.

They allow their books to become dusty on a shelf and stick something processed in the oven or microwave and plonk themselves in front of the television to watch their favourite cookery programme whilst spooning garbage into their mouths.

It's like all those diet fad books. Try it for a while, then stick it on the shelf and forget about it.

Yes there are people who genuinely eat healthy and cook from fresh, but they are not the majority in this day and age.

Which was exactly my point

Everyone starts with good intentions and everyone buys and receives cookbooks as presents and everyone watches Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver, but as you say, they do it while eating junk food and pinging meals in the microwave.

I've made the point that humans are extremely hypocritical and what we say and intend to do... and what we actually do are entirely different things.

I'm glad someone gets it.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

A food law expert on the BBC is saying that there is a very high probability this is a criminal act and unlikely to be due to a mistake

Oh totally, I really hope criminal prosecutions happen and I absolutely hope that perhaps this will go some way to wake people up about the dangers of eating crap, processed food.
They were talking about the Findus Lasagnes and apparently there are something like 4-5 companies/production sites involved in the process of making these meals..... it goes all around Europe basically, which is just disgusting.

I'm sure in some French factory, they were just thinking...

"bugger it, let's just bung a load of horse in there, we have plenty of it, they'll never know"

And to be fair, we didn't know... they've probably been getting away with this for years, and what else has been going into our food? What is in the filler? What other meats have been sold as something else?

Very worrying indeed

You want to talk about eating habits that is plain but calling others morons and idiots for pointing out you are not addressing the real issues here is childish.

If it walks like a duck and quacks...

Perhaps that will teach you not to pick on people and call them out... and pointlessly argue on and on...
Getting your facts right is important and you clearly didn't

Also being a dick on a thread where there is absolutely no reason to argue and where the person you try and call out, is only offering good advice, is also just pointless.

Think next time.

edit on 9/2/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Sarcasm is lost here sometimes.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spookycolt
Horse meat is actually very good.

Horse meat vs. Strip steak

According to NutritionData, the strip steak has slightly fewer calories than horse (117 vs 133 calories per 100 grams), though this is obviously not be true for all cuts of beef. Sirloin, for example, contains 142 calories. The meats also have very similar amounts of fat, cholesterol and protein when lean cuts are compared.

Where the meats really differ is iron concentration, with horse meat having double the iron (21% vs 10% DV) that beef contains. It is not surprising that a more athletic animal has more iron, but the magnitude of the difference is striking. Horse meat also contains substantially more vitamin B12 (50% vs 21% DV), but less B6, niacin and folate.

But what's truly impressive is the omega-3 fatty acid concentration in horse meat, which contains 360 mg (per 100 grams) compared to just 21 mg in strip steak. Omega-3s are essential fatty acids that need to be obtained from your diet. They are thought to be helpful in fighting against heart disease, stroke and neurodegeneration.

Compared to lean beef, horse meat appears to have some nutritional advantages. If we do ever manage to get past the taboo, at least we know there's good nutrition on the other side.

science.kqed.org...

Its also perfectly legal, in the US anyways, is sweeter than beef, and carries fewer diseases. Why wouldn't you eat it?

This is what bugs me greatly about the whole scandal, people like you who boast how good horse meat tastes, blaahdy blah......this isn't what it's about! It's about been lied too, it's about lack of trust, it's about eating a food that is widely considered to be a huge taboo, at least in the western world. It's a frickin' horse man, that's not good. We use them as transport and pets, not food!

What next....cats, dogs......humans! Absolute disgrace that it's not just one company either, but multiple suppliers, multiple super-market chains and even franchises such as Burger King.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Ive seen a documentery that talks about the Horse trade. It is a Black market, full of corruption and animal abuse. There are thousands of wild horses in the west, and usually they will set up bait traps with huge carrols and catch the whole group of Horses. I dont really have a problem with the meat, its the way Horses are treated, before being harvested that really ticks me off.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

The point I was making was all the talk on here was about how the consumer was to blame because they have made the wrong choices

As you said in your post above this is about crimminal activity and that is the issue here. One poster even said it gives us a chance to discuss whether horse meat should be sold on the supermarket shelves?

Any market researcher will be reporting back the suppliers dont have much to worry about as the great British public have again accepted lies, deciept and broken trust and are again blaming the victims.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Perhaps that will teach you not to pick on people and call them out... and pointlessly argue on and on...
Getting your facts right is important and you clearly didn't
It taught me that trying to discuss the OP with someone that reverts to name calling just because I asked to talk about the OP. Is pretty pointless and you were giving your opinion, hardly facts.

Getting my facts wrong
You don’t even understand the difference between TOP TEN SELLING and TOP 10 BEST SELLERS

Also being a dick on a thread where there is absolutely no reason to argue and where the person you try and call out, is only offering good advice, is also just pointless.
And again you revert to name calling and you as for your uninformed advice being good that to is your opinion.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

I don't dispute that people have been seriously duped here and are victims. But i'm of the camp that believes we have truely lost our way with food. The majority buy these products out of pure laziness, rather than cook a meal from fresh. Cooking has become a chore. If there wasn't a market for such foods they wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be discussing this.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy
reply to post by colin42

I don't dispute that people have been seriously duped here and are victims. But i'm of the camp that believes we have truely lost our way with food. The majority buy these products out of pure laziness, rather than cook a meal from fresh. Cooking has become a chore. If there wasn't a market for such foods they wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be discussing this.

Well I don’t know what you base your assumptions on that the majority buy these foods out of laziness or how criminals that make more than 75% profit using horse instead of beef are only supplying a market niche.

But as no one wants to discuss the effect this will have on the beef farmers already under pressure or the wider issues of food misleading food labelling and the loss of trust there is little here to interest me

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe
You shouldn't really argue about it when your sources show different results.

The title 'Best Selling' usually contains a time period. If you look at 2012 sales in the UK for example, you will see cook books in the top ten best sellers...

guardian.co.uk

Not really... One was a list of the best selling books of all time in the UK (the Guardian link)
One was a list of the best selling books ever worldwide (the wiki link)

And yours is best selling in the UK in one year?

Now as Sherlock said that cookbooks are among the best selling books, his claim was something like 3 in the top 10 and the best selling was number 1.... I would assume his claim would have been about the best selling books ever!!

Why would you claim that a cookbook is THE best selling book... but really you only mean in one year in the UK?? Pretty stupid really huh?

Firstly I didn't say a cookbook is THE best selling book. Feel free to show me where I did.

I have to laugh you still don't get it do you? Like I said and pointed out to you, it depends on the time frame but I think you're the sort of person that always thinks they are right.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

You only have to go into a local supermarket and see peoples trollies full of this type of convenience food to realise it's a widespread problem.

You think that this will damage the UK's farming industry? You realise that most of these foods are being imported into the UK, right? Not coming from our national farms? Yes people may lose some trust, but it will hopefully be lost trust in these imported not even fit to feed your dog type products.

This could actually be a good thing and boost sales in UK fresh produce.

If i was to put my tinfoil hat on, i could say this whole thing may have been orchastrated to do just that.

edit on 9-2-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by novahcain

See now THATS why we have rules on creating threads. You sound like you are from 4 chan. If you are do not admit it and just..leave, that post was WAY OFF TOPIC.

Back to the topic at hand. Horsemeat is meat. Is it poisoned? most prolly not its just a stigma that horses are somehow exempt from being eaten.They may be semi intelligent but they are not human and as such a fair choice to be eaten if needed to be.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join