It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7-year-old playing an imaginary game at school gets suspended for real

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa

So, how far will this PC madness go now? Are these inane rules going to force locked mittens on a kid of s/he uses a thumb and index finger as a "gun" now? UN-really-believable. This IMO is taking gun type controls waaaay too far. It's time we speak up as intelligent citizens and say, ENOUGH ALREADY. Fear should not rule the world, and neither should fearful minds.

This is the 21st century, or did I get warped back in time to the witch trails of the 17th century?

kdvr.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Has nothing to do with anything other than conditioning little kids that anything they say can be declared illegal. Imagine how compliant to authority they will be in 15 years.

Communists are very patient, remember that.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

Awful what the school did to this kid, not only did they hinder his imagination but possibly his future. Think of all the crazy movies out their that we love so dearly written, acted, directed my mad geniuses but not murderers and psychos. This needs to be counteracted immediately so this doesn't dwell in this kids subconscious.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I wonder what these paranoid little busy bodies would say about the things kids played with after World War II. It wasn't THAT long ago. I recall the stories of kids having REAL thompson submachine guns to play 'war' with. They were de-militarized, so to speak with lead filled barrels and internals removed or destroyed but ...hey, those were the days!

Even the 80's when I grew up had metal frame toy guns with the same weight, look and function of the real things in the toy section. No wimpy orange paint on them either. People knew not to point toys at anyone who wasn't playing in the same game and others had the sense to not simply assume the worst in EVERY case regardless of setting and circumstance.

Common sense...that's what has vanished. It's been replaced by "little red books" for the modern times filled to capacity with rules on everything. Rules on how to enforce the rules for goodness sake. Guilty until proven innocent and 0 tolerance for all....all in the name of our own best interests.

Da Comrade! Da!
edit on 5-2-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I wonder what these paranoid little busy bodies would say about the things kids played with after World War II. It wasn't THAT long ago. I recall the stories of kids having REAL thompson submachine guns to play 'war' with. They were de-militarized, so to speak with lead filled barrels and internals removed or destroyed but ...hey, those were the days!

Tell me about it. I used to have my dad's old M1 rifle (no ammo), steel pot helmet, ammo belt and everything. We used to play Iwo Jima on a hill near my house. All this against imaginary enemy soldiers. The difference? My dad actually sat down and explained the rifle, that it was NEVER to be pointed at anyone, anytime, even when unloaded. He kept his ammo in a locked Steel Mil Ammo case, and it was still there when we had to go through his things after he passed away. I didn't have to cut the lock either? Why? Because I knew where it was but I never even considered using it. It's called parenting....real parenting. Sitting down and actually talking and teaching your kids to respect themselves, others, and firearms.

Sadly, too many kids "birth humans" (I cannot call them parents, that would diminish the meaning of the word), expect the Fed to raise the kids and teach them everything. Which, if you know anything about the workings of the Fed, you would think these kids should be taken away from these"birth humans" for neglect of the child.

When you defer your parenting duties to the Fed, this is the type of insanity you should always expect.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

How do you even go about doing this to the kid? Like creep much? Must of been a dumb old bag.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The only good that can come of this...or bad depending on your perspective...

In fifteen years there will be no more young people willing to serve as soldiers...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Just lobbing some oats to the ponies in that barn over there. Wooosh! the oats blow all over the place!

Dude. If I were drinking milk, it would have come out my nose.

I'll go home tonight and play Ponies with my daughter.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
WOW, My , My how the times are a changin. When I was a child in school, we picked sides and played "WAR" at recess. If you were in my neighborhood and you did'nt have a toy M-16, your parents did'nt love ya. Playing war the the biggest past time we had.

Now a days. You get suspended for acting like your throwing a grenade, WOW. And this kid was playing "save the world" Kid needs a bigger grenade. The PC BS of this country is out of hand. Next thing they'll ban those kids from wearing cammo shirts & pants.

All the while this kid sits at home and watches tv. The commercials alone are war mongering, he'll see all the Navy "World Force For Good" commercials, The Marine commercials, The Army commercials, The AirForce commercials, he'll see CNN do a " Military person surprising their kids coming home early or un-announced. This is daily by the way. Allmost every hour. They can promote it, sling it around on T.V. Bring the recruiters in the school, unindate his little mind with images of war, but he can't play act it out. How freaking ridiculous is this stance.

I wonder if the kids in other countries play " Terrorist" and try to end the world, something tells me they are'nt. I wonder if there's a kid with a back pack that goes into say a school in Quatar and shouts, ALa Ala ala, and pulls out a string to detonate his fake bomb. They molds this kids mind with images of war and then punish him for acting it out for real. No wonder our youth are so confused and are on SSRI's more than ever before.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
The only good that can come of this...or bad depending on your perspective...

In fifteen years there will be no more young people willing to serve as soldiers...

Absolutely false! The problem is, that we WILL still have young people wanting to "serve"...
But they will be much more subservient than the free thinkers that are enlisted, now!

As in, follow their orders to fire on whomever they are told to, without question...?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Not sure if it was mentioned before but here are some updates from khow

This lady wanted the kid to scrub her office and the gym floor as a form of punishment.
The school is claiming that the rules (absolutes) were posted on their website and the parents are bad for not knowing these absolutes. There are screen caps that show that the school added these rules to their site after the situation!

www.mary-blair.net..." target="_blank" class="postlink">original link

Contact info:

Principal Mary Blair Elementary School
Valarie Lara-Black
[email protected]
970-613-6400

Last I heard her email was kicking back the flood of emails she was getting. Feel free to give her a piece of your mind.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by starshift
Not sure if it was mentioned before but here are some updates from khow

This lady wanted the kid to scrub her office and the gym floor as a form of punishment.
The school is claiming that the rules (absolutes) were posted on their website and the parents are bad for not knowing these absolutes. There are screen caps that show that the school added these rules to their site after the situation!

www.mary-blair.net..." target="_blank" class="postlink">original link

Contact info:

Principal Mary Blair Elementary School
Valarie Lara-Black
[email protected]
970-613-6400

Last I heard her email was kicking back the flood of emails she was getting. Feel free to give her a piece of your mind.

When are people finally going to say enough is enough. Letters and emails don't work. Neither does posting on a forum. The kids are being conditioned to be obedient non violent slaves. "Authority" is absolute. Comply or be cast out. But this only seems to happen to the kids who are generally good kids when they pretend there is some weapon, you know like kids have been doing since the dawn of time. You should FEAR the weapon and HOW DARE you let your kid play like that. However, when a kid is a real trouble maker .... they pick on other kids, are disobedient and disruptive, etc ... it seems they let it go on until parents finally make it clear they've had enough. As long as there is no imaginary weapon involved. These are the kids to watch because they show a real propensity towards violence and act it out, but we can't make them feel bad so just 'deal' with it.

When my son was in first grade there was this kid who picked on him. Now, we always taught him not to hit people, bully people or generally be mean to others. So we complain to the school. Nothing. It keeps happening. Others complain, because it wasn't just my son being picked on. (Pushed, hit, jumped on, etc ...) Finally I tell my son that since the school isn't going to do anything about, that he needs to defend himself. If this kid hits you again to teach him a lesson.

So, it continues. I ask him why he lets it go on and he tells me it's because he doesn't want to get in trouble in school. This gets me going. He was so afraid of offending the system that he was willing to take abuse. Reluctantly I realize I need to teach my first grader some things about life. I don't want to teach him such things at such a young age but I not going to raise a non thinking robot subservient to the system.

Then me and my wife went to see the teacher. I told the teacher that if it happens again I instructed my son to defend himself, and that I taught him how, and if the school complained we would be there the next day with a lawyer asking why my son was subject to repeated physical assault and the school did nothing after repeated complaints from multiple parents.

Things quickly changed.

Anyway the point of this little rant is that the schools, at least from what I've seen and heard, are teaching the kids to be non questioning pacifists with just a rudimentary education. It's up to you as a parent to raise them the way you see fit, to think for themselves, and to not regard authority as absolute simply because they are told so.

The schools teach kids about great people throughout history and how they changed the world, then train them to be the exact opposite.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

So how does this school approach our American history when they have to discuss the start of the revolutionary war and there were "muskets" used. Kids will want to try and envision them and automatically this "real or imagined" gun law would be invoked..... A whole class would have to be expelled, and does the teacher get protection from the law?

Would they stop teaching about our civil war and our rights to bear arms and to protect ourselves from tyranny as this involves thinking about use of force and weapons such as guns?

I was a kid in in grade school about mid-70's and my friends and I would play out scenes based on some TV shows like SWAT and others during our recess time. We would be running around the playground fake shooting and jumping off of the swing sets and such. We would play some pretty rough and tumble stuff out there like King of the Hill (for those unfamiiar: everybody starts at the bottom of a big hill and all kids run up and then mass rumble ensues as you throw the others to the bottom and last person standing at the top is victorious) .
I don't think it affected my outcome as I was in great shape throughout school, could handle bullying with a few swift punches when words failed to do the trick, I loved going to school and even turned out to be a well rounded honor student in my later years.

If I did this today, I would probably be labeled a trouble child and tracked into all the classes for the kids no one wants to teach if I wasn't expelled for good. This is a total attack on a child's creativity and a ploy to make kids believe that the world isn't a rough place while taking away any ability to think of self-defense or the want to own a gun.

This is not acceptable!

edit on 6-2-2013 by evc1shop because: spelling

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Since the school website is now offline (likely due to being swamped with access requests), here are the "ABSOLUTES" for the school.

ABSOLUTES for Mary Blair Elementary
To insure this Time to Teach Program, we have come up with some ABSOLUTES to make Mary Blair a safe environment. The ABSOLUTES for Mary Blair Elementary:
1. No Physical Abuse or Fights – real or “play fighting”
2. No weapons (real or play), illegal drugs (including tobacco) or alcohol
3. No serious disrespect toward people or property (includes, but is not limited: profanity, racial slurs, deliberately refusing to follow a staff directive, graffiti, etc.)

ABSOLUTE Procedure:
• An ABSOLUTE must be witnessed by an adult
• A student will be placed in the Principal’s office or sent home for the rest of the day if he/she violates an ABSOLUTE. A student will be allowed two non-severe, non-suspension occurrences. The third occurrence will constitute a formal suspension, which could be up to five school days. A conference is always held with the teacher and the principal as to the severity of the consequence.
• Each time a student violates and ABSOLUTE, a “Parent Notification of Behavior Problem” form will be sent home with the child.
• Each time a student is suspended, a “Behavioral Plan” will be written with parents, principal, teacher and the student (when possible). This conforms to Thompson R2J School District policy and Colorado Discipline Code.
• Every ABSOLUTE that is broken following the first suspension will also be a suspension.

Now, even the use of the word "ABSOLUTE" in this context wreaks of totalitarianism IMO. I guess here's an actual case of "Absolute power, corrupts absolutely"....
edit on 6-2-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well, it's a shame that people's attention spans are so short.

Otherwise, this sort of thing would be easily dealt with by letting the school board know they need to change or be replaced. And replaced. And replaced. Until they get the picture. And make sure the principals know that once the board changes, they will be...vulnerable to replacement as well by the new board.

Instant change. I guarantee it.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

Not saying this is appropriate nowadays but our school used to hold a field day and there were always prizes for the bean bag toss or the dunk tank and so on. The winners would get a number of tickets to bring up to the "prize chest" where they would get to rummage through and pick a prize. That chest was stocked with cap guns (pistols and rifles) packages of extra caps (ammo) and plenty of other toys to spark a boy or girl's imagination and fun side of the brain. We would take our prizes out and go to the other side of the field and pretty much have mini wars. Our parents and teachers would smile and laugh. Times sure have changed!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

I agree 100% with that. In my youth playing war was as normal as playing baseball. I don't see any schools suspending kids for playing imaginary baseball. I read this schools absolutes. I just don't agree with all that, stiffle a childs imagination, when our country and culture foster what he was doing, just stupid. The one thing the kid will come away from out of all this is the fact he will have an ABSOLUTE dislike for authority. He is probally now labeled within the school system and the upper grades will be waiting for this war mongering youth to arrive. All the while the goal is to turn him into a good consumer.

A good citizen that knows his role, buy, consume repeat, buy comsume repeat. Now a days if you want your child to get the education he/she needs to tackle the world that lies ahead, Home School your kids.
edit on 6-2-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa

7-year-old playing an imaginary game at school gets suspended for real

kdvr.com

He was playing a game during recess at Loveland’s Mary Blair Elementary School and threw an imaginary grenade into a box with pretend evil forces inside.

“I pretended the box, there’s something shaking in it, and I go ‘pshhh.’”

The boy didn’t throw anything real or make any threats against anyone. He explains he was pretending to be the hero. “So nothing can get out and destroy the world.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is approaching the point of insanity. I just read a number of other articles a few days ago where kids were being suspended from school for pointing their fingers as a gun at another kid in a playful manner. This is an absurd knee jerk reaction from these school systems to all of the MSM hype to exterminate anything that relates to a firearm (no matter how remote) in American society. This is how the slippery slope always begins and the next thing we will be hearing about are students being expelled for even mentioning the word "gun" or "firearm."

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I'm not sure I understand those in charge. Our government is constantly at war but kids can't address it through their creative outlet of playtime, that's plain ridiculous. But when the armed forces need bodies to put on the front lines, they will be eager to hand them out a weapon and instruct them on its use then let them "play" war games and all. Total hypocrisy here.

Ahh, baseball bats, yes, they make good clubs too. I hope it's not illegal to swing one or imagine swinging one because my toddler got a whiffle ball bat recently and he can't wait for spring. He has been telling his pre-K classmates about his toy and even wants to bring it to show and tell. I wonder if I need to check his school's rules on that before I allow him to carry it in

edit on 6-2-2013 by evc1shop because: missed a word

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by infopost

Like I said a few posts back, the school will probably not allow itself to teach our history of civil war and revolutionary wars....
Probably going to get some special text books made that say we broke off from England to promote a faith that was not allowed to flourish over there or something like that. Then we befriended some of the natives and they "gave" us their land after picking out some of the finest parcels to keep for themselves.
Finally, those workers we brought over from Africa got out of control down in the south and the good folks in the northern states went down and sorted it out over a few games of chess and a few glasses of bourbon.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by evc1shop

Ahh, baseball bats, yes, they make good clubs too. I hope it's not illegal to swing one or imagine swinging one because my toddler got a whiffle ball bat recently and he can't wait for spring. He has been telling his pre-K classmates about his toy and even wants to bring it to show and tell. I wonder if I need to check his school's rules on that before I allow him to carry it in

edit on 6-2-2013 by evc1shop because: missed a word

You say that in jest, but, I would seriously check it out first. The school systems these days are like indoctrination camps. Stray from the norm, and you go to "the box" for some alone time.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join