It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7-year-old playing an imaginary game at school gets suspended for real

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

Our country is infested with these Anti American cowardly manginas.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I am so glad school wasn’t like that when I was a kid. I used to bring Soldier of Fortune and Gun magazines to school I wonder what would happen if a kid wore a Guns-N-Roses T-shirt I had a few. God our schools are absolutely retarded now. I would have been a delinquent.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

"This is the 21st century, or did I get warped back in time to the witch trails of the 17th century? "

heres your smock and bible, the stakes and fire torches are to the left.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
kids are now made to feel guilty for playing what they thought was fine. Now they are going feel guilty for having thoughts of playing something that once was fine. Sounds like the hallmarks of a religion/mind control. Cognitive dissonance a mind controllers best friend.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
i really dont see how these stories are even issues, either the rest of the parents are all ok with this or they are not, so gather all the parents you know, hand out fliers and have a walk out, if 350 kids DONT SHOW UP TO SCHOOL guess what no funding for school, no jobs for teachers, byebye school.

people think because its public theres nothing you can do,,, they run off the same business model every other one does,

if they do something you dont like, ask to change, if they dont, take kids out and have a walk out or sit out or something , once it makes news that 300-500 kids are not atteding schools, you can bet tptb will turn that policy around real fast.

if you cant get this done then obviously it must be the new "norm". so tell your kids no more cops and robbers, no more guns anything, no more super hereos, go to school, shut up, look forward, and learn, LEARN DAMMNIT!!!!!! lol wow fun.

to all the people that say they dont have time for that

STFU no one cares

if you really dont care what goes on at your kids school. end of story.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
forgot to add, if i was the parent i would go storming down to the school and demand to see the grenade the teacher is talking about. if no grenade is presented , i would threaten to sue with libel and slander.

im pretty sure that would leave the entire staff speechless lol.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Let me introduce myself as a teacher. Actually, I am a Social Skills aid in an Emotional Disabled classroom of students with varying degrees of challenges.

The first thing I notice about this story is that the child was suspended. While playing guns and war in schools is typically not permitted, I can not find any scenario which would legitimize a suspension. A short conversation with the child is more than enough.

"Hey Billy, what are those sounds your making?"

"Hi teacher, I'm playing grenades and super soldier hero game!"

"Sounds fun Billy! Are we supposed to be playing grenade and soldier at school?"

"I don't know."

"It's ok Billy, we don't allow that here, you know why?"

"Why?"

"Because grenades and guns are dangerous. Can you find a different game to play instead? Maybe you could pretend your a knight slaying an evil dragon!"

While this seems a little in depth, it's actually important. There are reasons why schools don't typically allow guns and war to be played. I'm concerned the majority of posts have been condemning the rule that guns and war shouldn't be played. In reality, when children play these games, they are inspired by television, video games, and violent movies. In school, we are there both to learn and socialize in an appropriate manner.

This isn't simply a matter of "let kids be kids".

After some of the recent shootings happened, our class sat and talked about what had happened. When the kids were reminded how serious the incidents were, we still managed to have a few kids saying things like "it would be so cool to shoot a gun" and "If I were in the school, I'd go out and help the shooter, or I'd just shoot him myself!" The idea of being in a real life video game scenario far outweighed their empathy for the situation.

So in short, there is a reason for implementing a "no gun" at recess rule. For the kids I work with specifically its even more important. We are battling the desensitization of guns and violence. I must admit, I enjoy my Call of Duty and watching awesome action packed war movies, but I am also a 26 year old very self-aware adult with no intention of ever using a gun to harm any innocent lives.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Azjazzer8

Thought police much? Never let a crisis go to waste.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I have a 4 year old boy who will be 5 in the summer. He and his friends and coming home with swords made of paper, he makes guns out of Lego at home (we're from the UK, so obviously no guns here, and he's never had a toy gun), and as for wars...? My boy is probably the most frequently injured child at that school!
He got sent home the other day because he and another child were being a bit silly with some wheels and he got hit in the head with it and got a beautiful eggy lump on his head for the trouble.

It doesn't matter how many rules there are, you can't put a lid on creativity, you can't dampen energy without letting them burn it off, and you can't smother imagination. What better way to create grey, drab shells of a human being?

In some ways, I think schools in America are getting a bit mad. Thankfully we don't have the gun issue over here, but to make a rule that you cannot imagine rough play?
Kids rough play all the time. They need it. Sometimes kids get hurt, they might get a knee in the balls, or hit with something. That's par for the course of being a kid.
When you take away what makes a child a child, what are you left with?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I bet if you surveyed 100 random men between the ages of 30 and 60 on a street, 99% will say they pretended with guns when playing as a little boy, and 100% would say they never had the urge to go murder people at random. So I hope you forgive me if I say I believe that zero tolerance policy is total s**te. On another note, what exactly is more violent about imaginary grenades as opposed to imaginary swords and dragonslaying?

@ lulza In answer to your question as to what you are left with in my opinion, somewhat unimaginative and unintelligent workers who take what they get and never dare question anything said by authority. The side affect being that they may also end up somewhat unstable mentally speaking.

edit on 7-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa

7-year-old playing an imaginary game at school gets suspended for real

kdvr.com

He was playing a game during recess at Loveland’s Mary Blair Elementary School and threw an imaginary grenade into a box with pretend evil forces inside.

“I pretended the box, there’s something shaking in it, and I go ‘pshhh.’”

The boy didn’t throw anything real or make any threats against anyone. He explains he was pretending to be the hero. “So nothing can get out and destroy the world.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

So, for imaginary weapons, and imaginary fighting, to save the world, he's told he can't go to school? Hope his parents permanently yank him, and home school! The schools don't want heroes, or imagination. No, they want little robots, with no independent thought, no sense of reality, no inclination to help anyone else, nothing but blind obedience. Plus, since when does a parent need to visit a WEBSITE to know school rules? What LAW is there that states they have to have a computer? A lot of people don't. Even most that do probably don't go looking at a school website. So, the school wants no imagination? WHY are we funding public schools again? Teachers, why would you want to work in such a place? All parents should walk away, no more students. All teachers should walk away. No classes, no funds. They won't, though, because too many are already permanently brainwashed, and either teaching the next generation to be good little sheep, or sending their own little lambs off to be processed. The most sickening thing about our modern time is that people go so willingly to the slaughter, with little distracted smiles on their faces.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kentucky75
this makes me sick...it makes me ashamed so many candy butted americans rule over us....there scared of there own shadow's...
What's the bible say the meek shall inherit the earth....Well we are there folks

Problem is, it isn't the "meek" in charge of this sort of insanity.

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
reply to post by rickymouse

I guess teachers don't think we need future soldiers anymore. Aren't we going to have a military in sixteen years?

This could be the reason for their "zero tolerance" policies...

But would it be to reinstate the draft? Or, to change gears to a privatized military?

That is exactly what a certain person stated he wanted before being elected the first time, after stating he didn't trust the military.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
what is the world coming to?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy
Saw more on this on the news tonight. The boy and his friends were playing Halo. They had supposedly been warned several times about pretending to be using "weapons."

You know...it's funny....I grew up during the Cold War. I used to play "Army" with some of the neighborhood boys, pretending we were shooting the Russians (ironic, now that I am older, if you truly knew me IRL). I can only imagine how outraged our parents and society would have been during that era had some school suspended young children for pretending to "take out" America's deadliest enemy as a soldier.

Where are those people now????
edit on 5-2-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

Good question! I was shaking my head when the "remake" or Red Dawn was being made, and the WIMPS making it bowed to pressure, and made the bad guys be North Korea, because China complained! I could just imagine the reaction, during the making of the original, had the Soviets complained. Would have been something like, "Kiss my grits.". I didn't even bother with the "remake". Kind of hard to watch a film about standing up to oppression made by people that bowed to it. Then we have this happening in schools. If ever there was evidence of alien invasion, this would be it. they are in the schools, masquerading as teachers, administrators, board members. Brainwashing the humans for later consumption.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

To say that it is okay for your example "Billy" to slay a dragon is better than him thinking about guns is just ludicrous. You are simply stating "use a sword in you imaginary battle Billy" why? Because dragons don't exist so that makes it all okay. What if he decided in his head that he wanted to imagine slaying the bad guys instead of a dragon? Would you allow that kind of play? Or do you feel superior enough to pick and choose his thoughts based on your perceived worst threat, a gun? I am, therefore, calling your little story out for its hypocritical nature and suggest that you look at why you would think having him re-project his choice of weapon onto a less-real target makes you feel better. Chances are he isn't going to run into a dragon in his life but bad guys......

edit on 7-2-2013 by evc1shop because: redacted text

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by evc1shop

To say that it is okay for your example "Billy" to slay a dragon is better than him thinking about guns is just ludicrous. You are simply stating "use a sword in you imaginary battle Billy" why? Because dragons don't exist so that makes it all okay. What if he decided in his head that he wanted to imagine slaying the bad guys instead of a dragon? Would you allow that kind of play? Or do you feel superior enough to pick and choose his thoughts based on your perceived worst threat, a gun? I am, therefore, calling your little story out for its hypocritical nature and suggest that you look at why you would think having him re-project his choice of weapon onto a less-real target makes you feel better. Chances are he isn't going to run into a dragon in his life but bad guys......

edit on 7-2-2013 by evc1shop because: redacted text

...and to add the fact that what is more likely the little "Billy" would have access to, a grenade/gun or a big knife (that to a kid sure looks like a sword)? So, telling him that fighting with a big knife is OK? Yeah, that's much better.....

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Wow! I didn't really believe people existed with the kind of thought patterns this post has revealed. I can understand those faking such views as part of an agenda, but this post appears to be genuine.

----

The last few decades have shown us that back in the days when kids were able to play war and cops and robbers in schools, violence and anti-social behaviour were much less prevalent. Now kids can't explore imaginary goodness, evil, life, death, violence, and consequences, but they grow up more violent with less empathy.

Let them explore their imaginations to wherever it takes them provided they are not hurting others. The playing of games with imaginary death, pain and violence teach children some very important lessons about life and living in a civilised society.

I exect they'll be banning "ring o ring o roses" soon because of swine flu.

edit on 7-2-2013 by merkins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I think this is an evil school. I don’t use the word lightly but depriving boys the right to be boys they are creating pathetic excuses of men, with little imagination, and just play station.

It’s about time the U.S. constitution was updated to include rights of the child.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

"Because grenades and guns are dangerous. Can you find a different game to play instead? Maybe you could pretend your a knight slaying an evil dragon!"

And dragons and whatever the hell imaginary weapons that you slay one with are not dangerous?

Please keep in mind that the boy's grenade was just as imaginary as the dragon.

ETA:

Let me introduce myself as a teacher. Actually, I am a Social Skills aid in an Emotional Disabled classroom of students with varying degrees of challenges.

With today's schools and teachers..... Every student is challenged! I am surprised that they survive in the real world at all.
edit on 7-2-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

You are okay with a school telling children what they can and can't imagine about and what they can and can't play???

No wonder the school system sucks and is in decay. There are more teachers just like you coming up with moronic policies just like this crap.

And no wonder young males are walking around wearing girls skinny jeans and acting like females. They are emasculated by you and teachers like you.

Just saying it out loud "Little Billy, you aren't allowed to pretend or imagine or play anything that revolves around anything like a firearm or military'ish".
Sounds just as stupid out loud as reading it as a school policy.

The biggest saving grace now days??? More and more people are home schooling because of crap like this.

You are SOOOO lucky that you are backed by a corrupt Union, hell bent on having you keep your job, even though test scores are falling and the total education experience is now more associated with this crap, then reading writing and arithmetic.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join