It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Homosexuality is 'un-African'"?? Surely Christianity and Islam is "un-African"??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I recall the recent nonsense that came from the mouths of certain Ugandan members of parliament (as in, the Ugandan Parliament), namely "homosexuality is un-African".

"Un-African"? But surely it is Christianity and Islam which is un-African? I personally find it insulting that black Africans would embrace such a disgusting religion as Christianity where the son of God is white and was used to enslave the ancestors of Africa. Homosexuality existed before colonialism. It was not introduced by the incoming empires of Europe. How silly to think so.

What's more, one Ugandan member of Parliament kept on saying that homosexuality is un-African and that Africans should only abide by African culture. But what, exactly, is "African" culture? Is it tribal nonsense? Living in huts? Being backward? Is Astronomy "un-African"? Is Physics "un-African"? I mean no disrespect (I am of pure unadulterated African descent myself), but I don't exactly see what African culture is and how exactly it would help to the advancement the African and humanity.
edit on 2/4/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/4/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Unfortunately for your post, Jesus was not a European, and the Christian church took off in north Africa, and existed for hundreds of years prior to roman Catholicism. Reason being "Christianity" isn't reserved for any race, except that of the human race. We are all descendants of the same couple, we all are sinners in need of a Savior.

By the way, don't sell the African culture short. The Egyptians had a fairly decent understanding of architecture and astronomy. Egypt was African prior to the Muslim invasion.
edit on 4-2-2013 by kingofmd because: Added

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
Unfortunately for your post, Jesus was not a European, and the Christian church took off in north Africa, and existed for hundreds of years prior to roman Catholicism. Reason being "Christianity" isn't reserved for any race, except that of the human race. We are all descendants of the same couple, we all are sinners in need of a Savior.

By the way, don't sell the African culture short. The Egyptians had a fairly decent understanding of architecture and astronomy. Egypt was African prior to the Muslim invasion.

Except Jesus was white however. The son of God was white. The fact that he was of a specific type of person is enough to turn me off, I'm sorry. The son of God!

What's more, when we talk of Africa, we talk of Black Africa - clearly. We talk of sub-Saharan Africa. When you see charity ads on the television regarding African poverty, you don't see Arab North African children do you?

We talk of the part of Africa that is going through many issues. We talk of the Black African who is historically thought of as backward and whatnot - not the Meditteranean/Arab North African.

Quoting Egypt as the type of Africa we talk of is laughable. This is because actual White Supremacists could find it easy to use that in their arguments (i.e. the only reason why Egypt was/is advanced is because they have "white" dna etc).

No, we talk of places like Nigeria, the Congo, Ghana, Zimbabwe etc.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
OP this sounds more like a rant than a political issue - really I don't get what you are inferring with the "un-African".

Is that like space aliens are "un-earth" and being Muslim is "un-black" since it came from the Arab culture. Whereas Christianity would become more "anti-Jewish" than "un-Jewish" and newer cults of Christianity would be "anti-Catholic".

Where murder is inhuman but not "un-human".

It seems to me you are splitting hairs to finely. Native Americans have a saying "500 million years on one planet we are all recycled dinosaur poop and we are all brothers and sisters in the flesh".

There is a lot of factual proof that all our great human inventions sprang up everywhere all at once so no one can claim they originated metallurgy, pottery, painting, carving, gathering grain, growing crops, eating apples and recognizing that snakes can be fatal unless you are a herpetologist and know which ones have poison bites or not.

Religions and homosexuality are HUMAN traits and cannot be assigned to any one race. Human traits cannot be assigned to color of skin or tribal communities.

It is like the blue up above is called sky in a multitude of native tongues and the dirt below our feet is called earth. To what end do we call anything as having been originated by any earthling anywhere - it serves no purpose but to create division - an us versus them.

Women are not from Venus and men are not Martians. Cows and bulls are both cattle that humans have trapped into pens in order to kill them and eat them - it is because humans are carnivorous and will eat anything when hungry - even each other.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd

What? The Catholic church was establised with the annointing of Peter to oversee Jesus' chuch on Earth. It was actually around before Christianity to Saharan/East Africa. So . . . Not sure where you get "hundreds" of years unless you believe, falsely, that Constantine is responsible for Catholicism in Europe.

Regardless if "sin" or what African leaders say, it is well documented that Gorillas and Chimps practice homosexuality for various reasons . . . Maybe Mountain Gorillas and Chimpanzees in Uganda are "un-African" too?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

No offense meant but African culture is what it is..

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens

"Un-African"? But surely it is Christianity and Islam which is un-African? I personally find it insulting that black Africans would embrace such a disgusting religion as Christianity where the son of God is white and was used to enslave the ancestors of Africa.

I find your racism and bigotry disgusting. Furthermore, your leaps in logic would have some degree of weight if even they were loose contrapositions but theyre not. One has nothing to do with another and the reader struggles to find a cogent point.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Jesus wasnt white, not that Im aware of, unless he really was a hybrid or really did exist for that matter. Homosexuality has and will always exist until scientists find out how to prevent before birth, and every gay person I know says that they were since birth, the only people that argue are straight people. Even straight people get old and lonely and bond with a same sex partner. Im sure lots of things are un- african, and they can consider it un -african all they want, it will never go away. Just wondering,is it un african/american? lol, cause I know a few soul sistas.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 11235813213455

With all due respect, the highlighting of Christianity being "un-African" was tongue-in-cheek and meant to highlight the nonsense that some Ugandan MPs were saying. For example, on a BBC World debate show, a Ugandan MP was explaining how homosexuality was un-African and wrong and mentioned how he was Christian and whatnot - hence the irony.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
before you put a post up like this you should do a little research on the motherland first off Ghana and Nigeria are among the richest countries in Africa and its a misconception that most of the country still lives in huts and is undeveloped which is not the case at all as far as religion goes Africa played a part in shaping christianity and islam in fact to this day ethiopia has the purest form of christianity because it was never tainted by roman influence

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
before you put a post up like this you should do a little research on the motherland first off Ghana and Nigeria are among the richest countries in Africa and its a misconception that most of the country still lives in huts and is undeveloped which is not the case at all as far as religion goes Africa played a part in shaping christianity and islam in fact to this day ethiopia has the purest form of christianity because it was never tainted by roman influence

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

your own prejudices and assumptions are just as crass as those of the ugandan bigot that you refer to.

you have started 2 threads on how africa should or should not be too, whats your beef?

ETA: reading more of this and your other thread i get the faint whiff of the underside of bridges

edit on 5-2-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

The problem with the OP is that he/she believes that he/she because of "Unadulterated African Heritage"has got a clue about African culture even though he/she was born and bred and grew up in a european country!

The OP should come to Africa and experience for him/herself what he/she has never experienced...the wealth of culture which is Africa!

I am an African with a white skin BUT I am and always will be PROUDLY AFRICAN and gay! More African than the OP will ever be! Born and Bred in Africa!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

fairplay to you

i find the idea that africa should be more like the usa or europe (and i'm a brit) - and i include this in re his other thread, as in essence both of his threads seem to have the same purpose and end - to be laughably ignorant.

Africa clearly has many cultural styles/ways of life of its own and to use to the west as a template just wont work as that system pretty much relies on keeping part of the world poor and exploited, as parts of africa know to their cost.

i do wonder in closer reference to the op what is really being suggesting religion wise - if i follow his reasoning to it's logical end, then does he mean that west africans should all worship ogun or intercede with their percieved creator via their ancestors for example? i aint saying thats wrong at all, i just dont really get what he's aiming at

edit on 5-2-2013 by skalla because: clarity

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

All I get from both threads is that there is a chip on the shoulder of the OP re: Africa

He/She doesn't like the African attitude towards gays (neither do I) but would like a Nazi style of control over the whole of Africa! Sounds like Pink Triangles might make a comeback if that person had anything to do with it!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
I am an African with a white skin BUT I am and always will be PROUDLY AFRICAN and gay! More African than the OP will ever be! Born and Bred in Africa!

When I was in college in the 90's, an "African American" group started up.

Well, there was this one guy in my classes who was pure white as snow with red hair. From South Africa. Making him the ONLY true African American at the group meeting.

One can only guess how well he was welcomed .......

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

A couple of years ago I was offered a job in New York, suffice it to say I flew to NY on a visitors visa, got documentation stating that I had a job offer and then had to fly to Canada to have my visitors visa changed a "work permit" to enable me to go back to New York and my job! Once in Canada I went to the US embassy in Ottawa and was quite taken aback when questioned on how I could be from Africa AND be white! Hahahaha!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

How do we know he was a white man? Its hard enough to get any information about him let alone know what ethnicity he was. I heard he was a Palestinian, not a caucasian. A few paintings and statues in churches doesn't prove it either.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
OP do you have some kind of prejudice against Africa, the other day I recall a thread of yours calling for that total abolishment of African culture to be replaces by what you see as “European values”.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

You are severely misinformed in so many ways. Jesus was not white by any stretch, he was Jewish (Olive Skinned), he enslaved noone. If you have issues with Christianity that's your business but what does homosexuality and Africa and Christianity have to do with each other? I'm failing to see the correlation between the three. Are you pro Africa? Pro Gay? or just anti Christian?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join