It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Common Sense Test.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Well I'll just say you fail, because it was a test of common sense.

Well then, would you like to explain how a line means 2 parallel rows?

Because I think the COMMON SENSE definition of a line, is a single row.

So... I'm going to have to say that you fail... since this is a common sense test.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

Yes, you can do it with basketballs. You just hold the balls where you want them.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

No, I'll just say you continue to prove my point.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
reply to post by RoScoLaz

aah does it involve stacking a coin atop another?

No, it involves redefining "Line" to mean two coins in two rows that are both parallel.

Think again.

Not two parallel rows.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Think again.

Not two parallel rows.

You are talking about a squareish shape of coins, in which in each direction, 2 rows of coins are lined up 2 in a row, and thus in the given direction, there are four coins lines up, and the same is true of the other direction because of the 90 degree symmetry of the geometric shape of the square.....

Yes?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Think again.

Not two parallel rows.

You are talking about a squareish shape of coins, in which in each direction, 2 rows of coins are lined up 2 in a row, and thus in the given direction, there are four coins lines up, and the same is true of the other direction because of the 90 degree symmetry of the geometric shape of the square.....

Yes?

No, what you have described is not a solution to this puzzle.

Counting along the horizontal, there are four coins.

Counting along the vertical, there are four coins.

The starting point was a cross of 4 coins vertically and three coins horizontally. To get to the final configuration, only one coin is moved from the original layout. All other coins are untouched.

It may help to do this with actual coins so that your spatial reasoning can take over.

edit on 4/2/2013 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

yes it is.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

yes it is.

sorry couldn't resist

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I love this little puzzle because you can do it anytime,anywhere. All you need is 6 coins. It is always interesting and ongoing research. Who gets it and why? It appears to be totally random,but is it really? Some people get it instantly, some people never get it. There are no rules other than to move one coin. It does not say you can't lift a coin. People put that restriction on it. You can do it with anything. Tanks if you have a crane.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
This test takes thought to a new dimension.
Two minutes to figure it out,three minutes to figure a good response.

Reminds me of the Olds 442. Nice car.
edit on 5-2-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It's not a common sense test, it's a play on words because the concept of direction can be interpreted in many ways. I could easily see it as 4 coins in different directions while 2 being the center.

I figured it out immediately but I was sure I was wrong because of the meaning direction had at first.

Don't worry if some of you can't see the solution, it doesn't have much to do with intelligence.
edit on 5-2-2013 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
If you get it,don't give it away until tomorrow please.

Ok, it's now officially tomorrow...

This is the Coin Cross. How can you make two rows of four coins each, while not adding or removing any coins, and making only ONE move?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

Ah, a discussion on what it actually tests. For that we will need to test it on a lot of people and try to find out more about them. Things like their education level, occupation, do they like to read,are they married,etc. It appears to be random, but is it really? Is it an IQ test? Is it a common sense test? Is it a critical thinking test? What is the difference in IQ and common sense? What gives us critical thinking skills?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
The original instructions were not clear enough.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

No, I'll just say you continue to prove my point.

But you don't have a point, mainly because the entire "Test of Common sense" here, is in fact, a deliberate misdirection of the terms of the words used to describe it.

This is not a row, or a line.... it is a PILE.

By definition, the answer to this puzzle is WRONG.

Therefore, my original statement, that the puzzle is unsolvable, is true.

edit on 6-2-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: Choke on the Logic of Common Sense.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

The original instructions were not clear enough.

The original instructions were deliberately deceptive, because that is the purpose of this entire "Common Sense Puzzle"

it's not a puzzle in any definition of the word, because you cannot state the rules of the "Puzzle" without lying about the end result.

In the end, the "Solution" to the puzzle is not 2 "Rows" of four coins... it is 2 rows of 3 coins, and then one EXTRA coin in an entirely different row.

because a Row is a one dimensional arrangement, as is a line.

To place a coin in a higher position, necessarily removes it from the other two rows or lines.

Hence, the puzzle is not a puzzle, it is a semantic Trick.... it is a lie.

edit on 6-2-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

We get it. You have no common sense. Leave it be. Sheesh.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

We get it. You have no common sense. Leave it be. Sheesh.

Listen, you can keep trying to paint yourself as the victor in this little debate, but like the Black Knight... you are just boasting about a non-existent victory....

Common Sense: sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts

Your little "Test of Common Sense" is nothing of the sort... it is a bastardization of several terms, deliberately misused in order to trick the reader.

The "Riddle" as phrased, is unsolvable, and your "Solution" does not qualify based on the terms of the riddle itself, even metaphorically.

The Cambridge Dictionary defines it as, "the basic level of practical knowledge and judgment that we all need to help us live in a reasonable and safe way"

But keep pretending that you are right.... maybe eventually all of your hopes and wishes will come true, and unicorns will fly across the sky, farting rainbows and candy to all the good little, easily duped, gullible fools....

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The only reason that anyone in this thread believes that this "Puzzle" is a test for common sense...

Is because the title of the thread is "A Common Sense Test"

Gullible, Dupes.

Common Sense is the ability to see that this does not have anything to do with Common Sense.
edit on 6-2-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Goodness. It is up for debate as to what kind of test it is, if any. I even said as much. The debate should be about what the results mean. Maybe it is IQ, maybe it is common sense, maybe it is life experience, maybe it is job related,maybe it is life experience related. It is up for discussion. Thread titles are generally for drawing readers. All titles are that way. Books/movies/etc.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join