It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

56 billion in foreign aid while Americans sleep on the street

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

And how many of those jobs can you make a living wage on? At what point do you draw the line between working to live and living to work? 2 jobs per day? 3? 4? What's the point of paying for an apartment that I only sleep in 5 hours a night (if that)?

Your solution here is to get as many low paying jobs as possible and hope to god that one day, some time in the very distant future, you can have a day off and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
What we have in America is a country full of practically endless resources and abundance, yet people have to work two (or more) jobs just to feed their kids.

People are so overworked that they hardly ever get to see their children or go on vacation and learn about the world.

People are becoming obese because they can not afford healthy food and don't have time to exercise.

Is free enterprise really worth the human cost? A more free market like many people here want would mean a second Gilded Age where masses of people live in squalor or complete servitude while the rich hog more and more of the resources.

If you really want to fight against the elite, fight capitalism not the little that we have left of public social services. Grow a heart.

edit on 4-2-2013 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
That's why poor people love people like you.

Your willing to bail them out. Working two minimum wage jobs is more than enough money to take care of you as long as you haven't been stupid. While you do that start improving yourself with college classes, as much as you can handle and slowly climb your way up.

Keep looking for better jobs and you can get there. I did it.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

In your defense, I might agree with you for some instances.. For a single person, it might be easier to get a job. If you don't have felonies, it might be easier. If you don't have bad credit, it might be easier. If you have a great attitude, and good speaking skills, maybe. For many people though, the job market isn't going to pay for a place to live, let alone food. You need 3 McDonald jobs to feed a family of 6, without Government assistance. Now you can always start your own company, but for the majority you need money to make money. Not everyone is skilled the same way. There are a lot of variables.

Our economy is FUBAR. Its paper thin. Its a charade.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Heres what gets me. US population, 313 000 000. Total money spent on iraq afganistan. 1 400 000 000 000.... How big a deal would it be to give every single person in america 50k. Seriously.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
That is precisely my point.

People screw up and put themselves in a position to be poor. Getting felonies and things that make it hard to get a job is the fault of the individual, its not because there is some grand conspiracy by society to keep people down.

They do it to themselves and therefore I have no sympathy for them.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

Sir, you don't give away money... unless it's to banks.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spookycolt
That is precisely my point.

People screw up and put themselves in a position to be poor. Getting felonies and things that make it hard to get a job is the fault of the individual, its not because there is some grand conspiracy by society to keep people down.

They do it to themselves and therefore I have no sympathy for them.

Ah, but should somebody pay the price of a lifetime, for a mistake? What is your answer to someone who CANT get a job? Become a criminal?

Hmmmm......

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

Because they will waste it and be poor again in a year. If they were actually good with money and responsible they wouldn't need the 50k in the first place.

+5 more 
link   

I got a job at Mcdonalds and it took me two days. Dropped off the application and they called right back. Worked there for about a month and quit.

Its not hard to find work if you want it. I also got a part-time job picking up trash at a local museum. They hired me on the spot.

Don't tell me that there is no work out there.
Well, keep in mind that while you're out taking those jobs you apparently hold in contempt and quitting after 4 weeks, there are plenty who cannot get that job at all where they are. As the story I posted showed....over 900,000 were outta luck on that one. It wasn't even a matter of having to hunt up that story. It was a matter of WHICH one over the last few years to choose from.

I'll tell you something else. I'm not in college and going all the way up to a Masters degree because I just missed the whole classroom experience or always wanted to be 10's of thousands in debt on a thing that literally follows a person BEYOND the grave to be paid back. (Can't bankrupt it..and they'll take your whole estate if you still owe then, too.).

I'm there because after 15 years of driving a truck and never being out of work for more than 30 days during that entire period of time? I couldn't get a damn fast food job. OVER qualified I was told. Repeatedly. You know what I'm told now? Well..that's when I can even GET that far and that's getting like winning a friggen lottery ticket to even reach that stage. NOW I'm told I've been out of work TOO long. Don't mind the fact I've not taken ONE DOLLAR of unemployment. I never qualified. Never mind that I'm not in some gov't housing. Overqualified doesn't matter to anyone now because I'm ZERO qualified for pure time out, to hear the excuses.

Unemployment is also in the neighborhood of THIRTY PERCENT in some areas of this nation, today, right now. Tell me where the jobs are at and I'll be there. Student loans bring truth to the 'Starving Student' concept and THEN some. So..please.. don't assume people are out of work by some choice or laziness. NOTHING could be further from the truth.

link   

That's why poor people love people like you.

Your willing to bail them out. Working two minimum wage jobs is more than enough money to take care of you as long as you haven't been stupid. While you do that start improving yourself with college classes, as much as you can handle and slowly climb your way up.

Keep looking for better jobs and you can get there. I did it.

Just because you did it doesn't mean that everybody can. Do you have an extensive job history? Do you have friends that can connect you to jobs? I turned 18 in January 2008, right after the economy tanked and my job history consists of two weeks at a deli in 2011 and a summer job I did way back in 2007, plus some odd cleaning and babysitting jobs for friends. I just don't stand a chance at any job opening. I also have Aspergers Syndrome which makes me less likely to be hired and more likely to be fired. I'm lucky I was able to get SSI benefits so I don't have to leech off of my parents and live with them at the age of 23.

Thank God my dad is somewhat wealthy and is going to pay my way through college so I can become an engineer.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

As I stated, there is always a job for anyone if your willing to do whatever. If illegals can find work then anyone can. Just need to be willing to take it.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

So your saying that in the whole country there is not one possible job you could ever get?

Really?

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Do you know why illegals can find work? Because they're illegal. That means, no benefits, no minimum wage, and absolutely zero liability. Fall off the truck while on the job? "I never seen that guy before".

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

reply to post by lampsalot

So your saying that in the whole country there is not one possible job you could ever get?

Really?

Well I could also say there's a lottery ticket somewhere I could buy. But what odds!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I was told by many people looking for jobs, that credit history is part of the "hiring process". How many people have messed up credit, in one way or another? Society has produced a ripple effect. Loose your Job, because of budget cuts. Try to get a new job. Cant .Told its not because your too old, but its because your "over qualified". Preexisting medical condition? You wont get hired, although its "illegal" to do it, who is really policing employers, and good luck proving it. Now for someone who has had a job for years, NEVER missed a house payment,but all of a sudden is forced on the streets, its their fault? I don't buy that one bit.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

As I stated, there is always a job for anyone if your willing to do whatever. If illegals can find work then anyone can. Just need to be willing to take it.

I will agree anyone should be able to find a job, if you put your mind to it.

But........

Its not the "type" of job, that's going to put a family in a house, with a picket fence.

BTW, there ARE people working and LIVING in Tent cities.............

edit on 4-2-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot
Is free enterprise really worth the human cost? A more free market like many people here want would mean a second Gilded Age where masses of people live in squalor or complete servitude while the rich hog more and more of the resources.

If you really want to fight against the elite, fight capitalism not the little that we have left of public social services. Grow a heart.

By 2050, earlier, probably – all real knowledge of Oldspeak will have disappeared. The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Not merely changed into something different, but actually changed into something contradictory of what they used to be. It's a beautiful thing, the Destruction of words.

If all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed – if all records told the same tale – then the lie passed into history and became truth. "Who controls the past," ran the Party slogan, "controls the future: who controls the present controls the past." All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory. "Reality control," they called it: in Newspeak, "doublethink." To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it

As long as a person’s perception of the truth can be externally verified, then even a lie can become truth. Such is the Party’s method of control. The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

- George Orwell 1984

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

reply to post by sonnny1

I will agree anyone should be able to find a job, if you put your mind to it.

But........

Its not the "type" of job, that's going to put a family in a house, with a picket fence.

BTW, there ARE people working and LIVING in Tent cities.............

edit on 4-2-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

But there is not enough job vacancies to go around.

Paid work is paid work. Even if it pays peanuts. But the truth is there are more people than available paid jobs.

Herein lies the dilema

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Heisenberg59

ALL foreign aid should be stopped until the US budget is well under control.
Yes, even to our supposed allies, let them stand on their own feet imo.
We continue to bail out everyone else's ship while ours sinks is no way to go.
We should also bring our boys home and put em to work here building border fences and walls and planting minefields, this would put the border patrol checkpoints effectively out of business.
No more "Mexican" sniffing dogs...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join