It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS - what happened to you?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I am also an old timer here,now I lurk exclusively.(except for now).My problem is/was with the over all condescending tone around here.

I still lurk and read articles on a weekly basis though.

That being said,I still run ATS Seti @ Home .

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Hello Mr Lizard. I know where you are coming from. This place is becoming saturated in low politics...But there are still plenty of gems born here too.. You just have to sift through the rubbish to find them. I guess that happens when something gets too popular.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's mostly right wing true.. I think it more Anti-American government though. Anything that involves destruction of america or the overthrow of america is cheered. Rather that's because of the Angry Non Americans, we will be hard to know.

Look at how the Occupy Movement, Libertarian Movement were "pumped up here" as revolutions.
Both failed miserably of course.

Everything is a conspiracy here. According to this site mentally unstable people, who do evil things people do not exist, they are all created by the government to to further it purposes.

Any Military Advancement by another country is far greater then America's.

edit on 4-2-2013 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I'm just jumping in here, responding to the op's original post. I think the reason why this sight is pro gun is because America is pro gun. We don't talk much about it until someone comes along and tries to take our guns away. This is our fight. Everyone else has bowed to the NWO. We haven't yet. I'm sure that the op can appreciate the fact that we are stepping up communications, drawing lines in the sand and taking notes on who the bad guys are and who the good guys are. If he is bored or otherwise unhappy with the tone of voice these days then he can aquiest back to his neutral corner and go to threads that suit his feelings.
If you're wanting to take away guns in America, we're gonna take your name and address and make sure that you are on the frontlines when this war that nobody wants is perpetrated upon us by tyrannts.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

For what it's worth, I agree with everything you say, almost verbatim, especially about the all too-American focus, but I suppose that's inevitable.
(I see you also joined just a few days before me, even though I didn't actually post for a very long time afterwards.)

But it's not just the topics, it's also the LEVEL of discussion.
I've written so much about this recently, in other threads, and I just hate repeating myself. But it seems like this has become a place for people (many with very little apparent experience in actual life as opposed to movies and the internet) to just come and state their opinion without even reading the previous posts - sometimes even without reading the original post, if you can believe that.

But I am sure they bring in money all the same.
And I am sure that's all that ultimately REALLY matters, or this state of affairs wouldn't be allowed.
No offense anyone.

You just have to sift through the rubbish to find them.

Yes, but see, that can easily become a problem when a person has better things to do in life - when a person actually HAS a life outside this site. I get a feeling that many of those "hit-and-run" posters here don't.

Another problem is that, with so much "sifting" to be done, conversations (because that's what they used to be) stall very quickly or get side-tracked by trolls.

edit on 4-2-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Don't be. Just do what YOU think is right. That's always the best way to go.
Play by YOUR rules, not others'.

I've met quite a few elderly people like that.
But why should anyone be surprised?
They were young jerks once; they are simply old jerks now.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
These threads have seemed to appear a few times every year, probably before I even lurked the forums. This is especially true during political elections, and it's not surprising it's happening now with all the talk of gun control. Disarming the population play a big role in many conspiracy theories, and yes, some people get very riled up about it. It'll pass though, just like everything does. I have noticed a slight decline in the amount of paranormal and UFO subjects, but that's probably because of people becoming more skeptical towards it. I know that around the 100th time you're disappointed in it, you stop caring as much.

And I find it funny that older people seem to blame everything on the younger members, without realizing older people can be quite nasty themselves. I turned 21 in December, and I was here for a while even before I registered. I'm quite proud to see people on here that were my age when I first joined, actually.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Star and flag OP.

I agree 100 % with everything you said. We used to have a higher standard.

Nowadays, this place feels like a cross between infowars and some evangelical mumbojumbo site. Dissapointing, really. The ATS motto seems to have been destroyed by blind partisanship devoid of anything other than brainless knee-jerk reaction.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Originally posted by SecretFace
.... or would you rather round everyone up who does not hold the same opinion to you and stick them all in to one big state prison so you can have ATS as a wonderful liberal left wing fun loving site, just like the real world?....

I think he - and an awful lot of people - would just like to have a conversation without the complete load of hooey you ended your post with (quoted above) being thrown in.

Its nothing to do with being left leaning, or right leaning, its about not resorting to the base, schoolyard, polarised trolling crap.

Really? So the OP didn't state specifically against right wing leaning threads? I'm sorry but had the OP stated that he/she would like to see debate and conversation from all sides then I would've been for it, but they did not, they basically said that because there is a load of threads being created specifically from right wing leaning individuals that the place has obviously gone to hell. Do correct if I am wrong. Now, if the person is stating this, which I believe they are, then I need to know where is the OP coming from. Do they want freedom of speech? Do they want to hear all people's opinions and ideas? Or as stated, do they just want the place to be more in line with their ideological view point? May be how I ended my post was a "a complete load of hooey" whatever that is, but surely the OP's thread is exactly that as all I did was ask to clarify his/her position and if they are indeed stating that they would rather have a load of liberal left wing threads sprawling across the site, then what difference is that to the so called oppressive ideologies that he/she may well be against?

There was nothing in the OP that asked for greater debate and conversation, it was to simply place emphasis of their dislike of right wing leaning threads.

Do correct me if I'm wrong or further insult my post, as you so tastefully did in your response to my previous post, that to me is the biggest problem with ATS.
edit on 5-2-2013 by SecretFace because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2013 by SecretFace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

Its only my opinion but take it for what it is. : You have 17500 posts in 14 months, your a loser. You need a wake up call.

Yep, that's the sort of thing...is there any need to call someone a loser just because they post a lot?

I agree with OP in terms of some of the extremely immature name calling (not necessarily by young people either) in the last couple of threads I've contributed to that has been the case just for having a different opinion, I am a shill, a shady person, a douchebag even! It just totally lowers the tone of any discussion and makes ATS look bad IMO

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by cantyousee

If you're wanting to take away guns in America, we're gonna take your name and address and make sure that you are on the frontlines when this war that nobody wants is perpetrated upon us by tyrannts

And another...so you're basically saying that if we have anything less than a pro opinion on guns, we should be shot first? Very mature and thoughtful...not!

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm you're guy Mr. I'm what happened to your beloved ATS. This is what I, as in me alone, have cast forth upon your cyber-scape. I have manipulated this possession you make your own thru the use of the word I. I have sang many ancient tribal chants and performed the most beloved rituals of the old Gods. Those most powerful and pre-diluvian I have unchained. I alone broke their bonds that they could not break and now I command them. So any change you wish will have to come thru me.

I've noticed the same thing OP. Just a trend. It will pass. SnF
edit on 5-2-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I lurked on and off for a few years before I actually joined recently. I have seen some posts that I thought didn't really merit being allowed in threads because they were basically insulting and didn't do anything to add to the conversation.. they seemed to either be insults or intended to mock or cause confusion and disinformation on a given topic.

However the mods seem to be on top of pulling out a lot of the over the top insulting posts. This is a huge site so I am sure it takes a lot of work to clean up threads so naturally some negative posts will slip through.

Stepping away from people's lack of civility though, when it comes to topics that you don't want to see -> www.abovetopsecret.com... There are 100 subforum topics. 100. That is amazing and gives a LOT of options. If you don't like what is listed as "new" or "popular right now" then just hop straight to the forum links and go to the subtopic you like. Sometimes there is nothing on the home page that interests me, etc. It happens.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by destination now

If you're wanting to take away guns in America, we're gonna take your name and address and make sure that you are on the frontlines when this war that nobody wants is perpetrated upon us by tyrannts

And another...so you're basically saying that if we have anything less than a pro opinion on guns, we should be shot first? Very mature and thoughtful...not!

What I'm saying is, what I said. it isn't veiled in code. If you are one of those in the media or in the government who want to bring this topic up for debate for the purpose of taking away our self defense
then we will mark you and make sure that you are on the frontlines in the coming war that you and your co conspirators started. Gun owners never brought this up for debate. People who want to take guns bring this up for debate. Therefore they are the guilty parties fostering civil war and they will be on the frontlines. It is only right.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I think all of these incredibly awful posts and attacks exist, because it's a sign of the times. Our country is comprised with a good deal of people who feel strongly about guns and have worries about our constitutional rights. How can they not however, when we have seen the patriot act destroy many of our civil rights? There is a lot of anger brewing. A lot of people are struggling with jobs and money. The stresses are running high.

I'm not saying this is a good excuse to mistreat other people, but it seems like a credible reason for what is taking place. I am a long time lurker/reader of ats and have seen how the climate here has changed too.
edit on 5-2-2013 by Taissa because: spell check

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cantyousee

What I'm saying is, what I said. it isn't veiled in code. If you are one of those in the media or in the government who want to bring this topic up for debate for the purpose of taking away our self defense
then we will mark you and make sure that you are on the frontlines in the coming war that you and your co conspirators started. Gun owners never brought this up for debate. People who want to take guns bring this up for debate. Therefore they are the guilty parties fostering civil war and they will be on the frontlines. It is only right.

So that's exactly what you're saying...anyone who has an issue with guns and the destruction they can cause is a marked person who will be tracked down and forcibly put in the frontline of any forthcoming war...presumably without any guns..

I've never participated in any of these gun debates, America can do what it wants. From a personal perspective, I don't like guns and wouldn't have one, but that's just me..like I say, I'm not in any danger of being shot by you, seeing as we are several thousand miles and an ocean apart, so you have as many guns as you want.

But, yes, your post yet again, defines exactly what the OP is talking about...what's with the hatred?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
But, yes, your post yet again, defines exactly what the OP is talking about...what's with the hatred?

What do you mean hatred? I am just acting normally to a threat perpetrated upon me and my fellow countrymen.
If you are a commie or nazi or NWO thug who thinks they can just come in here and do what they've done to Britain and Australia and the rest of the world then you have cause to be concerned about my mentality. This mentality is shared by millions here and we're all armed. We are the good guys. The ones that go to work and raise families and contribute to the American way of life. WE are peaceful.The majority of us love Jesus.
As you can see we haven't went to war with our tyrannical government. They have been tyrannical for many years now and they are at the point where they think they can do what they want. But they have reached to far this time
.We take a lot for the sake of peace. You can tax us. You can regulate us. You can feel up our women and children at the airport. You can perpetrate countless false flag attacks against us in the attempt to weaken us.
We'll even let you get away with stealing trillions of dollars from us. But when you do all that and then want to disarm us, you've gone too far. You've planted too many seeds of rebellion. You have crossed the rubicon.
God is on our side, not yours if you be one of the above. What we leave behind, God will mop up and send to hell.
It is our purpose and wish to live peacably among all men. But if and when we have to get up off our couches and go to war with you, we bring God with us. I am absolutely convinced of this.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

The majority of us love Jesus.

And hate fags? Sorry not claiming you personally are in any way homophobic, but whenever I hear that statement "we love Jesus" I automatically think of Westboro Baptist church and all the other christian fundamentalists who seem to have hatred for so many other things.

And we're perfectly fine in the UK and I'm sure most Aussies feel the same about their country, yes we have a few gripes, but overall we live in perfectly acceptable, democratic countries and the vast majority of us don't want guns.

But the whole point of this thread was not about whether American's should have their guns taken from them, it was about the huge number of threads on the subject and the tendency for gun supporters to take personal offence and start ranting about all of the things mentioned in the OP and you've just given a perfect example in your posts.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

The majority of us love Jesus.

And hate fags? Sorry not claiming you personally are in any way homophobic, but whenever I hear that statement "we love Jesus" I automatically think of Westboro Baptist church and all the other christian fundamentalists who seem to have hatred for so many other things.

And we're perfectly fine in the UK and I'm sure most Aussies feel the same about their country, yes we have a few gripes, but overall we live in perfectly acceptable, democratic countries and the vast majority of us don't want guns.

But the whole point of this thread was not about whether American's should have their guns taken from them, it was about the huge number of threads on the subject and the tendency for gun supporters to take personal offence and start ranting about all of the things mentioned in the OP and you've just given a perfect example in your posts.
Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. NO, I am not one of those who hate fags. I know that God doesn't hate them either. I honestly believe the possibility exists that the church you speak of was founded and funded by God's enemies. What better way to discredit christians and make them all sound horrible. I don't know.
I am glad that you are doing ok in the UK. I want prosperity and peace for you all there. I feel a kindred to you because my people came from your land. I always wanted to go there and visit. Scottland too.
I don't think too many people can wrap their brain around the idea of just how evil and despotic the national leaders have become in our nations. It is my belief that the reason you all haven't been rounded up and out into concentration camps already is because the ptb want to put across a benevolent posture until they can get American's guns. If the Americans saw them putting you all into camps there would be a huge uprising and they do not want to tip their hand. But when America falls they will come after your people in the same manner they want to come after us. These leaders have made a pact with hell and they are possessed with death.
I do not exagerate.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I am pretty much a newbie here, I found this site when trying to look for a site that I once knew that had lots and lots of interesting 'conspiracy' type videos - those videos were sleek and looked like they were made very expensively and professionally. But I can't remember the name of the site, and I never found it. But I did remember something about 'above top secret' being not only a military classification, but also some kind of a website, and I was hoping this was it.

Clearly, it wasn't..

To get to the point, my newbie status means that I am not the ones the poster that I am replying to meant, and it also means that my words probably don't weigh much, but I agree with the assessment that maybe the old school posters 'jumped train' and do not want to be part of all that gun stuff.

I mean, I can't know whether that's true or not, of course - what I mean is that in my opinion, the whole gun war is just so irrelevant and stupid. I can see it's relevance from the point of view of violating people's owner rights, and as far as Law is concerned, it being a theft to take a gun away from someone who owns it, no matter who does it. Unless of course the 'owner' has 'registered' it (regis = king, to register = to transfer ownership to the government), in which case the true owner can take the gun away from the 'user' any time he wants.

It's not such a clear-cut case of whether people have "right to bear arms" (and how can it be known that they didn't mean 'claws of bears'?, though that would be as cruel as meat eating, especially if the bears are not killed - they probably didn't mean that humans have the right to genetically engineer themselves to grow actual bear arms) or not, because of the 'consent' and 'legal system' and the whole 'person' and 'registration' thing.

Basically it means that people with guns fall under two categories:

A) If someone has registered their gun, identifies with being a person, has consented to being governed by a legal system, and is thus in effect a government employee, who has to obey the government rules (so instead of being a human being that is the MASTER of the government, that the government has to serve, he is now working UNDER government rules and regulations, and is thus basically slave of the government), there is no legal or lawful argument - that individual must give their gun away if the government so commands. Arguing about it is useless.

and

B) If someone hasn't, doesn't, hasn't, and thus isn't, then of course the gun is like any other property, an adult human being owns it completely, and anyone trying to take it away without his/her consent is a thief, and can be prosecuted under Common Law. Arguing about this is also useless.

I think the existence of guns is a serious sign of a really awful mental and psychological, plus also spiritual sickness/illness and madness, I don't really feel comfortable with discussing this, nor do I think it's useful in any way. If you don't have a gun, you don't have a gun problem. If you have a gun, you fall into either category A or B. There is no useful discussion to be had about that, but because of all the complexities that people want to bring into it, and because it seems to be a very emotional, almost animalistic topic for many, these discussions get messed up and are full of false information, lies and emotional rhetorics that I rather stay away from.

Basically, the whole 'gun issue' is a worthless hassle for me, who wouldn't be able to murder anyone anyway, and who does not like to spend any time thinking of any scenarios involving a gun in any way.

Jesus didn't tell us to get guns so we can blow people's and animals' brains out if they threaten us or start using a bit too insulting a 'tone'.

He told us the human way is to not get involved with fights, arguments and wars, but instead just turn the other cheek, even though it's painful. That way we create PEACE.

With GUNS we only prepare for situations where they will be used. With guns, there are wars. Without guns, there could be peace.

It's just as lawful to own a gun, though, as it's to own a raping machine or an infant-skinning device. But it's also just as insane in my opinion.

These are some of the reasons why I rather talk about something better, something more interesting, and something more 'relevant' to me than guns. Guns will be relevant to me only if someone shoots me, and if that's my Karma, it'll happen anyway - and if it isn't, it won't happen anyway, so what would I gain by discussing it here?

The only thing more useless than guns is debate about them or 'gun control'. I think 'gun control' is wrong, if it's done unlawfully, but I think the existence of guns is wrong as well, because their whole point is MURDER (which is unlawful) and INJURING of others (which is also unlawful), and side effects include destruction, wounding, loss of blood and sanity, and creating immense amounts of fear. I don't see any constructive use for guns, unlike knives and swords.

edit on 10-2-2013 by Shoujikina because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join