It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Buy Nearly Half a Billion Dollars Of Gold and Silver In January

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I've read that about 1% of the population hold physical PM's - make that 2 or 5% and it will get interesting on the paper side.

Seems like some Americans are waking up to "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bank of America".
Keep stacking!

A massive 7.4 million Silver Eagles were purchased from the U.S. Mint in January, considerably higher than the previous record from early 2011.

After halting Silver coin production/sales for over a week, the Mint re-opened yesterday and demand once again surged.

Having almost doubled from the first week in January, there remains two more days before the book is closed on January’s sales.

At 140,000 ounces, the Mint has also sold the most ounces of gold in January in almost three years, suggesting the rising ‘currency wars’ are stoking people’s ongoing rotation from paper-to-physical assets as their ‘wealth’ slowing loses its value.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Stock up and Rock On!

If it Feels Real, ,,,,,It Is!
S&F

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This is good from the article...confusion at the UN.
lmao

What’s equally as interesting, and perhaps a harbinger of the coming chaos, is that the People’s Republic of China is also shifting a large amount of its cash reserves into physical resource based investments that include agriculture, energy, and precious metals, a move that has caused confusion among experts at the United Nations.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Since this is a conspiracy website.....

The dollar is not dependent on the gold standard. What if there is some tech developed that can make synthetic gold cheaply and indistinguishable? Then you just drop all the worthless gold while its still perceived as valueable before releasing the tech..making the common gold investor basically a sucker.

Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Gold was produced by a Supernova - how much does that cost to reproduce?

Probably a little bit more than a printing press & ink they are shelling out over there at the Private Federal Reserve Bank!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Wishful Thinking.

2nd Line

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Im getting my silver in two weeks.

I got an in, a co- workers mom was a cashier at walmart for decades and kept every silver coin she came across.
Needless to say she has ALOT of silver and will be selling some of it to me at market price. She wants to keep some for her but doesnt mind parting with some.

I wish I would of got my bonus two weeks ago in stead of two weeks from now. Silver briefly dipped to 29 an ounce
now its up to almost 32. I just hope the price stablizes so I get a good deal when I purchase it.
edit on 1-2-2013 by CitizenJack because: typo

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
What is everyone going to do with silver when the dollar tanks? Trade it in for dollars? Will the government let you buy groceries in silver? Are stores set up for that? Is this for bartering if society collapses?

I like the idea of having silver, and do have some, but, the only reason I have some, is because there will be people that will want to have shiny things in exchange for food or other goods that I could actually use(in the beginning of a collapse). I am not trying to be smart, I really am wondering.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

Hey - don't rip buddy's mom off - you won't feel good about it in the end & you might lose a friend. Show her this video & see if she still wants to give you a good deal - go down to your local shop & buy your own a couple bucks over spot. You will feel much better about yourself.

Watch Max Keiser all the time but watch Episode 400 - especially the second half interview with Ian Williams.

Peace

Max Keiser Episode 400

edit on 1-2-2013 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

No its not like that. She has an inventory of everything that she is willing to sell. She also has alot that she isnt willing to sell.

They proposed it not me, because they know I collect silver coins. And her mom live two blocks away and instead of having me deal with spot prices and pawn/coin brokers she suggested I just buy market price from her.

And instead of her selling below market and dealing with pawn/coin brokers she would rather save the hassle and sell at market price to someone she knows. The way she looks at it is she collected them over the years and they didnt cost her anything so all is profit. Its almost black market lol.

Its her deal not mine, why would I say no.
edit on 1-2-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I love Max Keiser's analysis. He has been spot on for the past decade and he will be spot on for the next decade.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I have looked for any stats on gold in private hands in the U.S. I can't find any....so I took a guess,I believe this is even on the low side

300,000,000 people let's average two oz.per person. jewelry,wedding band's ect. 600,000,000 oz.
divide by 16..... 37,500,000 pounds
divide by 2204.6........ 17,009. 888415132 metric tonnes. now that's not all 24k there is 10k 12k,14k,ect, so another estimate is to cut the amount in half to estimate the amount of 24k gold......8,504. 944207565998 metric tonnes.

Ok if I am far off point it out.Also compare it to countries gold reserves.I think most countries population have a ratio that is higher than their countries Gold Reserves.

So on with all the talk about which country has the most gold.None of them do the PEOPLE do.
edit on 2-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Those coins are 90% silver so if you pay per weight it would be just like going to the pawn shop.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Hey - i got you but if they can tell them to hold on - do so. No slight against you!

Silver historically trades with Gold at 1:16 ratio - today the ration is 1:56 so Silver is historically undervalued. On top of that Silver is used in Apple Computers, Solar Panels (2/3 of ounce for every solar panel), medicines (my dad had skin cancer after the 1st radiation treatment they hand him a cream that contains Silver) & it is used exstensivley in industry.

Of course the Silver market is manipulated - JP Morgan Bank has a bigger short position on Silver in paper than actual physical Silver exists in the entire world - 3 times over.

Just keep stacking - Good luck!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Gargamel is still hard at work.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

You need to be thinking wild, wild, west.... There's going to be things that people will recognize as value -- silver, gold, ammunition, food, clean water -- there's also going to be knowledge - like canning food, butchering, farming, baking, home repair, engine repair, ect...

Also, cigarettes, alcohol, emergency medicine.....

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Of course the Silver market is manipulated

Yep, ask the Hunt brothers.

Nelson Bunker Hunt and William Herbert Hunt, the sons of Texas oil billionaire Haroldson Lafayette Hunt, Jr., had for some time been attempting to corner the market in silver. In 1979, the price for silver jumped from $6 per troy ounce ($0.193/g) to a record high of $48.70 per troy ounce ($1.566/g), which represents an increase of 712%. The brothers were estimated to hold one third of the entire world supply of silver (other than that held by governments). The situation for other prospective purchasers of silver was so dire that the jeweller Tiffany's took out a full page ad in the New York Times, condemning the Hunt Brothers and stating "We think it is unconscionable for anyone to hoard several billion, yes billion, dollars worth of silver and thus drive the price up so high that others must pay artificially high prices for articles made of silver".[1]

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I suppose the elites really think people are that stupid.

Can they REALLY believe people are going to be standing around waiting for the gov't to help?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Wow you know your stuff thanks for the info.

Do you know of any good resources for info like this, links maybe?
I'm new at this, I got interested when I read an article back in july on silver going up so I have been keeping an eye on it since. Sure enough it was about 27 an ounce then, so the article was right. I have looked at historical trends on silver but thats about it.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
I've read that about 1% of the population hold physical PM's - make that 2 or 5% and it will get interesting on the paper side.

Seems like some Americans are waking up to "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bank of America".
Keep stacking!

A massive 7.4 million Silver Eagles were purchased from the U.S. Mint in January, considerably higher than the previous record from early 2011.

After halting Silver coin production/sales for over a week, the Mint re-opened yesterday and demand once again surged.

Having almost doubled from the first week in January, there remains two more days before the book is closed on January’s sales.

At 140,000 ounces, the Mint has also sold the most ounces of gold in January in almost three years, suggesting the rising ‘currency wars’ are stoking people’s ongoing rotation from paper-to-physical assets as their ‘wealth’ slowing loses its value.

I checked out the article, but I don't think that guy/website is trustworthy. In the article, they say,

Those holding their money at bailed out financial institutions are understandably concerned because the government’s $250,000 deposit insurance guarantee program, originally implemented to restore confidence in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, expired at the end of 2012.

That is total BS. There was a special, unlimited insurance for large non-interest-bearing accounts that lasted from 2010 to Dec. 31, 2012, and that's what has expired. The $250,000 FDIC insurance on accounts is still very much in place (not that it would matter in a bank run, because the FDIC doesn't have the money to pay the insurance, hehe). Anyway, it looks as if the guy(s) from that website don't really research their claims -- they just pick something up that sounds sensational and regurgitate it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join