It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Lulz. Because the waitstaff actually delivers something?

I hope this 'pastor' has their face posted all over the place and can never eat out ever again for fear of 'inclusions' in the meal....

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I have never really understood tipping waitresses or taxi drivers, they are doing a job and providing a service and they get paid to do so, why should I pay them any more if they are already being paid.

I don’t tip.

My excuse “you’re getting paid regardless”.

I mean really 18%!!!!

What a cheek to ask for it, you go to a restaurant pay for a nice meal and they ask you for another 18% for giving you a smile and a bit of customer service, that should be free.

Well, where I live, the "waitress wage" is considerably lower than minimum wage, so they rely on their tips to fill the gap to a decent living. I ALWAYS tip waitresses 10% minimum. Even the ones that provide crappy service. But, I make it a point to let them know about my dissatisfaction, verbally. I also notify management, and let them know that their help, reflects poorly on their establishment, and there are a dozen other places that I can eat, in the neighborhood. This usually rectifies the attitude of the server. Plus, if and when I return, I usually receive much better service!

Good service will receive up to as much as 25% of my bill. It just depends on where I am eating, the number in my party, and the willingness of the server to go the extra mile...
edit on 2/1/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Wait staff are usually paid very low hourly wages, around $2.00 or so because tips can pay well, depending on where you work. Tips are their pay, basically and when some businesses do tip sharing, that can mean even less for some than they normally would get just keeping their own straight tips.

Tip your wait staff if they do a good job.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

Perhaps it is a cultural difference in the UK waitresses should be getting minimum wage.

I suppose if I knew they were only getting a couple of bucks a hour I might be more generous.

link   
I always tip well, it's an investment into your next visit there. Free/discounted drinks, good conversation..

That being said, the pastor didn't really do anything wrong but make a joke. Mandatory 18% is pretty high as it is, and they have the gonads to ask for something additional, after not giving you the option to choose how much you want to tip. I would put zero there too, and this is coming from someone that tips much higher on a regular basis.

link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

To the pastor, it's called karma and your god is a master at it

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Restaurant owners should just pay waitresses better and all this tip bs can be avoided.
Some waiters and waitresses regard tips as entitlements instead of a reward for their quality of service.
When I go out, if the service sucks, they get minimum tip.

link   
I still fill like the media is missing a part of this story....

I want to know how many people were in his party (and why she split up the check like that)
How was the service she gave the table?
Did she make some anti christian remark?
18% at applebees hahahahha why?

link   

You don't tip? Are you in the US? If you are in the US, you should be aware that servers earn $2.13 per hour in wages. The tip is to be given so that a person can earn at least the equivalent to standard minimum wage, anything less than 15% is slave wages.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Didn't really matter he paid the 18% by the time this part of the bill came out. Standard procedure. My friends restraunt puts it on the bill for probably the same reason. Wait people don't make minimum wage and live on their tips and are taxed at a government set rate. like it or not whe waitress was taxed for the 18%. marks place people all the time complain but it's on the menu in several places. Once again blame the government on how much you HAVE to tip

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
I always tip well, it's an investment into your next visit there. Free/discounted drinks, good conversation..

That being said, the pastor didn't really do anything wrong but make a joke. Mandatory 18% is pretty high as it is, and they have the gonads to ask for something additional, after not giving you the option to choose how much you want to tip. I would put zero there too, and this is coming from someone that tips much higher on a regular basis.

I understand your point, but why did she bother writing a nasty joke? And coming from a Christian pastor?? SUPPOSEDLY an example of patience, charity and love?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I have never really understood tipping waitresses or taxi drivers, they are doing a job and providing a service and they get paid to do so, why should I pay them any more if they are already being paid.

I don’t tip.

Then you should only eat fast food.

Wait staff depend on tips to survive, as their hourly wages are typically much less than minimum wage.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that you were in the UK. I have no idea how it works there.
edit on 1-2-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I don’t tip.

My excuse “you’re getting paid regardless”.

I mean really 18%!!!!

What a cheek to ask for it, you go to a restaurant pay for a nice meal and they ask you for another 18% for giving you a smile and a bit of customer service, that should be free.

I really dislike cheap people who don't tip. Though I agree that 18% may be a bit high. For me it depends on the price of the bill, and how much work the server actually did. I usually tip somewhat generously, but also based on performance.

To "Othersideofthecoin," specifically.... I think this may be yet another issue where there is a major discrepancy of culture which causes a differing opinion. IDK how it is in the UK (which is where you live, correct?) but waitstaff here do not make the same "minimum wage" as everyone else. Their employees are allowed to pay them much, much less... an amount which would be impossible to live on, alone, with the expectation that this will be made up for in tips. With fair tipping, waitstaff make enough to survive on.

As I said, I don't know if this is the case in the UK. I recall when I travelled to NZ, I was told it was customary to not tip your servers. Over there the servers make just as much as anybody else-- so it makes sense to not tip them. Where I live minimum wage is around $8 an hour. And this is barely enough to live on, if you work a full-time, 40 hour work-week. I believe servers only make around $2.50. If $8 an hour is barely enough to scrape by on 40 hours (and most employers these days will not give even close to 40 hours-- they purposely keep most employees around 30 or less, to ensure they never have to pay "overtime") then how far do you think $2.50 an hour would get you?

In the end, if everyone acted like this jerk, they would either need to change the laws so servers got the same amount, or there would be almost no servers to bring the food, and people would get cold food, or maybe even have to get their own stuff, and would surely complain about that, and maybe the restaurant industry would even suffer.

I hope someone hits this guy with the reverse golden rule, and does unto him.

Pathetic.

edit on 1-2-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I love how when its against Christians the liberals are out to tear them down... but when its something against the regime they go "well lets check the facts first, or dont trust the MSM"

why are we trusting the MSM again?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
How "christian" of him. Go to hell.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Do you know how much those people get paid? I always tip 20% unless the service is lousy.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Shouldn't this say.....

I take all my money from my followers via donations and then I redistribute their hard earned wealth back to god.

So does this mean he just takes a 90% paycheck from the church???

I am confused.

edit on 1-2-2013 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

reply to post by camaro68ss

I just don’t understand why you give 10% because someone is doing the job they are paid for.

Makes no sense to me.

I have two daughters that are waitresses, they deserve 20% for the grief and abuse they take daily as waitresses.

The tips are because they only make three dollars an hour.

One of my daughters is college educated as are many waitresses that they have worked with through the years, many can't find jobs in their field.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Oh, and since they had the audacity to fire her for highlighting this guy's poor excuse for being cheap and heartless online, I guess I won't eat at applebees again.

Which other chain restaurants are owned by this corporation? I know there are a few.....

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well this waitress just learned how Obama Nomics will work

Taking her tip and giving it to someone who doesn't work

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join