It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
if he came back i would drop his food on the ground and then serve it to him. what a jerk, why should she be fired due to his snarky remark. and second she didnt do anything wrong by posting the receipt if he was that embarresed by it, maybe he shouldnt have written it to begin with. best part is it was over like 7 dollars what a cheapskate

link   
reply to post by destination now

When I was in high school, I worked minimum wage jobs, which provided an incremental raise for quality work. The higher my pay was raised, the more enthusiastic I was to do a job. After high school, I joined the military, and worked until I was retired.

I don't even think about paying my employees minimum wage, even though I could get away with it. I like having my employees believe that they are compensated adequately for their labor.

You'd also be surprised at how many people think like I do, when it comes to working crap jobs for crap pay.

link   

Originally posted by destination now
reply to post by redhorse

With over 3 million unemployed in this country they'd soon find someone to replace them...I guarantee it!

And you would still get bad service.

And it's not about consistently bad service, I have said twice now that I do get good service, but in my opinion it's about what constitutes exceptional service that would deserve a tip...

But the first thing you complained about was bad service, and the complaint indicated it was consistent. You are back-peddling here. I think that in the U.S. you would probably be far more impressed with the service, but I could be wrong.

but at the same time the minimum wage cashier in the supermarket who is friendly and chatty doesn't have the opportunity to get a tip and gets paid the same as the grumpy one, so why should waiting staff be any different?

edit on 2-2-2013 by destination now because: extra word

Because not as much is expected of her. Waiting tables is harder, and in the U.S. a great deal is expected of wait staff. Grumpy is not acceptable. You will be fired. I think that minimum wage is an unrealistic expectation to put up with abuse, or the snarky comment from that pastor. Hassle like that is constant, but occasionally punctuated by the really bad stuff.

However, there is a higher expectation for job performance BECAUSE of the tips. I lived in Germany for a few years, and the service was awful compared to the U.S. I never made it to the U.K., but I know plenty of people that did, and the service in restaurants was a consistent complaint. And France... Forget it. But they're... French so, go figure; I gave them a pass.

I think that in the U.S. you would probably be far more impressed with the service compared to what you are used to, but I could be wrong. Like most people who think they shouldn't have to tip to get better service, you seem pretty invested in justifying it no matter what.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by twohawks

We can manage please and thank you, which is also a sign of gratitude...As for the rest of your argument as has already been stated our employment laws don't allow people to earn below the minimum wage, which I think says more about how the UK as a whole values all employees rather than the US where in the food service industry, the customer is expected to pay the waiters salary as well as pay for the food!

I think I'll stick with the UK's way of treating staff, much better all round.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I have never really understood tipping waitresses or taxi drivers, they are doing a job and providing a service and they get paid to do so, why should I pay them any more if they are already being paid.

I don’t tip.

My excuse “you’re getting paid regardless”.

I mean really 18%!!!!

What a cheek to ask for it, you go to a restaurant pay for a nice meal and they ask you for another 18% for giving you a smile and a bit of customer service, that should be free.

I felt the same even when I was a waitress a "Gratuity "was just that if they wanted to leave it...if they didn't I had no hard feelings, maybe they didn't have the extra for the tip but still wanted to give the kids a meal, who knows why a million possible reasons.

BUT THE...then government started taxing a % of tips whether the restaurant or waitperson receives it or not they pay a percent that was expected to be paid it is already TAXED That is the disgusting way a freely given TIP became a mandatory charge!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

For the last time, I said in my first post on this thread that I have received good service but I would most certainly not tip for mediocre, why should I when the staff are getting paid anyway, so no, I am not backtracking, my stance has not changed, I've had rubbish service, wont go back, I've had good service, haven't tipped and have gone back and still had good service, then I've had exceptional service and have left a couple of quid from my change, but nothing like 10% or 18%

Shop workers also have a lot of physically hard work as do many minimum wage employees, cleaners for example but no one ever tips them because most of the time their doing their work when the customers are not present.

And no, I don't think I would be at all happy to have to pay 18% of the cost of the meal to pay the person who brought it to me, no matter how much they smiled. and offered to refill my coffee.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

employment laws don't allow people to earn below the minimum wage, which I think says more about how the UK as a whole values all employees rather than the US where in the food service industry, the customer is expected to pay the waiters salary as well as pay for the food!

There is part of the difference to our opinions. I've known too many workers, in the U.S., who work all day, have no debts, and are still constantly broke. I'm not talking just in the here and now, but also 20-30 years ago.

Where we agree is how customers should pay for the service they receive. I would still pay for bad service, if required, but I would complain to the managers, and even to the owners if available.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Yes, I agree, but I am paying for the service in the cost of the meal, so I do still pay whether the service is good or not, the only time I would refuse would be if the food were not of a good standard, at which point I would speak to whoever is in charge, tell them to take the food back and just leave.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

reply to post by twohawks

rather than the US where in the food service industry, the customer is expected to pay the waiters salary as well as pay for the food!

Interesting, So in the UK the business owner takes the hit and does not include operating cost like employees wages into the customers bill? I assure you, that customer is paying for the waiter regardless if the tip is included or not.

One key difference is , You as a customer are more likely to get better service since their direct wages are dependent on their service. Its the cheap Bastards and those that always tip (regardless of bad service or attitude) that throw a wrench into the system. The Bad waiters would be diluted from the system since they wouldn't make money and those that provide good or excellent would remain.

edit on 2-2-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Duh...yes I know that...what I refuse to do is tip the waiting staff as a matter of course because they're already being paid by their employer, who in turn is being paid by me to eat a meal at their establishment.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I've dined at places, in the U.S., where the gratuity is already included as a surcharge to the total bill. I generally would tip 20%, for good service, so if I add 2% if it is an 18% charge already included. If the food is bad, I send it back, and if the waitstaff is lousy, I complain. I have a tendancy to frequent the same establishments, and if the owners are not sympathetic to my complaint, I don't go back.

I also live part of each year in Japan, and I do not tip extra there. My wife told me it is actually an insult to tip someone in her country. It's a shame, because I get better service there than anywhere I've lived, to include the UK.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Of course Applebee's turned the whole event into a PR nightmare by firing the waitress. Other chain restaurants can capitalize on this mistake by hiring the waitress into a cushy desk job with a nice salary and publicizing the hiring.

Which is honestly the only thing that Applebee's can do to fix their situation now, after looking at their FB page and seeing all their half-off specials being advertised.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Duh...yes I know that...what I refuse to do is tip the waiting staff as a matter of course because they're already being paid by their employer, who in turn is being paid by me to eat a meal at their establishment.

You know the rules, you get your meal correctly and no attitude was given by the waiter you are expected to give 15% on top of the bill. They provide good service and you want to show a sign of appreciation for their work then you give more.

The reality is that is how it works in the US. So until the waiting tipping system is changed and incorporated into the bill like in the UK ,then people that don't tip are just cheap Aholes, bottom line.

Everyone is aware of how the system works and those that don't tip (assuming good service was provided) are knowingly not paying for a service since it is expected by both sides.

If you don't agree then don't go to a restaurant that provides service or get the system changed or give a heads up to the manager that you will not be tipping before you order.

You are not only going after the wrong guy by Stiffying the waiter, but you are purposely taking money from them as well. Most restaurants charge the waiter a percentage of sales to pay the bussers and the bartenders so even though you didn't tip on that $100 bill they will still have to pay a percentage of your bill. So they not only had the pleasure of servicing the cheap B@stards but they will have to pay for the honor of serving them as well.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Well if you've dined in the UK you'll know that each item has a menu price (that includes the VAT) and you pay the menu prices for each item you order as part of your bill, no surcharge, no requirement to tip, you just pay the total for what you ordered, keeps it simple, you know exactly what you'll pay before you order.

I realise it is a cultural difference between the UK and the US much as it is, as you say an insult to the Japanese to be offered a tip. I suppose I only participated in the thread because I could see others from the UK getting slated for their opinions on tipping, when we are not in fact doing anything wrong by not doing so, it's a cultural thing and whilst I don't imagine your average Brit being offended at being offered a tip, mostly they do not expect it either, they are paid to wait tables and provide a service to their customers and that is what the majority do, and personally I don't really want a chummy waiter fussing round me, just bring me the food and drinks that I ordered in a timely manner and as long as they're not actually rude to me that's fine with me.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by MeritocracyNow

First of all, she fed his arse,

She didnt feed anyone, the cook made the food and im sure the pastor fed himself.
All she did was carry his food from point A to point B, a delivery person.
I wouldnt mind being given a number and pick up my own food when the cook calls out the number, that would make these whiny ass waiters obsolete.

Okay, she "served" his arse. Is that better?

I work in the service industry. Some of us depend on tips in order to have a decent quality of life, and some even need them to survive. And what does "God" do for his 10% besides ordering every atrocity imaginable, including commanding his best friend Abraham to sacrifice his own son?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Regarding the tipping issue, I guess it is either a difference in culture between USA and non-tipping nations, or just plain cheapskate natural human beastly nature where the opportunity arises to screw with another fellow human.

Most americans are magnaminous by nature, with big hearts, committed to the original untarnished concepts of capitalism where circulated wealth will only bring more prosperity for all, but judging by the responses here....it seems brit cousins are either miserly by nature or the austerity drives had brainwashed them into being more self centred.

I mean it in a good naturedly way, so please forgive me if I had offended, for at times like such threads, I don't know if I should laugh at the insanity of it all, or weep in dispair on selfish human nature.....

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

You're not from the UK are you? As I and many others have stated their is no need to tip waiters in the UK they are paid by their employers to serve customers, tipping is optional, they are paid the same minimum wage that many other workers are paid, who don't actually get the opportunity to earn tips, so yet again an obliging shop worker or cleaner has less value than a waiter in your eyes, as they are not generally or expected to be given tips. That seems a bit unfair, what makes waiters so special compared to other minimum wage workers?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Nothing miserly about it, we probably pay more for a meal in the UK by comparison to the US, we have employment laws in the UK that mean EVERY employee has to earn a minimum wage, therefore all waiting staff are paid the same minimum wage (or more for that matter) as any other minimum wage employee who does not get the opportunity to receive a tip, shop workers cleaners etc, so it is in fact a fairer system, everyone is treated the same.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I take no issues with the system in the UK. Everyone is aware how it works over their.

What annoys me is AMERICANS on the US that stiff their waiters (assuming they provided good service ) because they feel that the US should work like the system in the UK.

Well, that is fine to have preference as their are pros and cons on to both systems. I'm not saying any one system is better, but that is all irrelevant since in the US the system works one way and in the UK it works another way.

Most are aware that they are not in the UK when they dine out and they know how the system works in the US, but they choose to make a point (ofcourse themselves being in the winning end) by knowingly not paying for a service.

Foreigners that come to the US and don't tip because they are not aware of how the system works doesn't bother me. Its the ones that know how the system works that are selfish that bother me and purposely stiff their waiter.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
A wow another cheapskate in the world?

How novel.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join