It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Wrong with School Administrations These Days?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkphoenix77

I have not agreed with you much lately captin, but here we see completely eye to eye and are on the same page.

I get that a lot

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

OK, so now we can agree that when breaking safety rules on someone's property, the authority of that property is within their rights to address the matter accordingly.

I would show the same compassion for any child under my watch as you would show for mine.

The school system has to account for EVERY child enrolled, not just yours or mine. What may seem outrageous to one parent might be perfectly acceptable to another. The school is just doing its best to keep kids safe and appeal to parental concerns, which I'm sure you would appreciate if you had strong concerns on a separate safety issue in which you might be considered the one going too far.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

OK, so now we can agree that when breaking safety rules on someone's property, the authority of that property is within their rights to address the matter accordingly.

I would show the same compassion for any child under my watch as you would show for mine.

The school system has to account for EVERY child enrolled, not just yours or mine. What may seem outrageous to one parent might be perfectly acceptable to another. The school is just doing its best to keep kids safe and appeal to parental concerns, which I'm sure you would appreciate if you had strong concerns on a separate safety issue in which you might be considered the one going too far.

Too far is too far......it is not the responsibility of the school to dole out blanket draconian punishments. It is the parents jobs to punish not the schools. If the parent fails to address the situation then you get social services involved if the event warrants such action. The school is a place of learning, not a police station.

edit on 1-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

And no one is locking these kids up for life. Detentions and suspensions are nothing, and will be forgotten about in weeks. Expulsion is perhaps harsh, but it's the decision of the school board and faculty structure within.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

And no one is locking these kids up for life. Detentions and suspensions are nothing, and will be forgotten about in weeks. Expulsion is perhaps harsh, but it's the decision of the school board and faculty structure within.

Perhaps a bit harsh? Ya think! Detention is fine, there is no issue as far as detention or making them stay in for recess in my opinion (though I have heard in some schools even recess is now a thing of the past). Suspension and expulsion are not appropriate responses.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Perhaps a bit harsh? Expulsion can ruin a life. It can make it near impossible to get into a college. It can follow you for a very, very long time.

...because you were playing g.i. joe on the playground. Come on now.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Expulsion from high school? Yes. But kids know better at that age.
Expulsion from grade school/middle school? Sucks to have on record, but far from crippling.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Expulsion from grade school/middle school? Sucks to have on record, but far from crippling.

Bull. I have worked with kids for a very long time. Do you know what happens when a grade school kid is expelled? If they are able to get enrolled in another district, they are labelled as a BLL student, and normally kept separate from the rest of the school population. These are the exact students I worked with. To put it in perspective, I had a student who was expelled in the 5th grade for getting angry and charging a teacher. He was forced to move school districts, and ended up in my BLL class a few years later. He was a good student. A very good athlete. Smart. Funny. Popular. Yet he was in my class along with the autistic kids, the emotionally disturbed kids, the teen prostitutes. He got a lesser school experience for it, and to this day, carries the label that he is a 'bad' person.

Expulsion sticks with a kid. And is uncalled for when it comes to young kids playing.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Bull. I have worked with kids for a very long time. Do you know what happens when a grade school kid is expelled? If they are able to get enrolled in another district, they are labelled as a BLL student, and normally kept separate from the rest of the school population. These are the exact students I worked with. To put it in perspective, I had a student who was expelled in the 5th grade for getting angry and charging a teacher. He was forced to move school districts, and ended up in my BLL class a few years later. He was a good student. A very good athlete. Smart. Funny. Popular. Yet he was in my class along with the autistic kids, the emotionally disturbed kids, the teen prostitutes. He got a lesser school experience for it, and to this day, carries the label that he is a 'bad' person.

Expulsion sticks with a kid. And is uncalled for when it comes to young kids playing.

Nothing more than a new form of a very old policy known as "The Scarlet Letter".

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

As a teacher I have to agree with you. School officials are going overboard with the "0 tolerance" policy. I mean lets use some common sense. Sometimes their doing more harm than good. I remember a case where a child brought in a steak knife in her lunch bag to be used to cut her steak. Something so innocent is taken to the extreme.

Every incident should be taken on a case by case basis. I have a senior who comes from a horrible home. Both parents are mentally ill. The mother of this kid kicked him out of the house during the worst day of this winter. He came in and told me the story about how he didn't sleep all night because he was out walking the streets until 3 o'clock in the morning trying to find a place to sleep. This kid is really intelligent, does his school work and is very respectful. I directed him to go and talk to one of our counselors who deal with situations like this.

When he came back, it seemed like the world was lifted off his shoulders and he thanked me for helping him out. It wasn't more than 15 minutes later I heard a knock on my door and the principal and police declared they were having a surprise locker and student search. Don't the police end up finding a 3" pocket knife in his pocket. The knife was something you would have on a key chain. He was lead away and brought down to the office. He came back to get his things at the end of the day and was balling his eyes out in my lab. Talk about one hell of a day for this kid. He was looking forward to graduating and now he tells me he has 10 days out of school suspension and he was getting expelled.

My heart broke for this kid, and I immediately went down to the counselor's office to let them know this kid was a good student and in no way he would have harmed anyone with that small pocket knife. She agreed with me and said she was going to try to convey this at the student's hearing.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a little late here for me, but i agree, wth is going on..
shoot i had a real gun at 13, not a bb gun, i got a bb
gun when i was 9 or so. By the time i was 13 i had shot
most of the guns out there. It's how i got my crooked nose *LOL*
i was told that a .357 mag had no kick at all.. so i didnt prepare...
needless to say, ya there was some kick from it. *LOL*.

People are going about this the wrong way, hiding and making guns
bad and evil and not to be seen is just going to cause more problems.
They should be teaching kids what a gun is, how to handle it and how
to shoot it, this way they know how to safly be around a gun.

A gun is just a tool, like any tool if you are not taught how to properly use it,
it can end up bad.
Sorry but both my kids know about my guns,how to hold them, how not to hold
them and how to fire them. the oldest is 13, i am looking for a rifle for the son
before hunting season. thinking 3030 for a starter, my daughter will probably end
up with a .22 before long, naturally a pink one.. she is 10.
I would much rather teach them the right way to use a gun than see them
learn the wrong way on their own or from others.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Hmmm, when was the last time a preteen went on a shooting rampage with double digit deaths ?
For that matter when was the last time a female went on one of these types shooting rampages ?
When you answer these questions, you get a strong case for common sense with a dash of profiling.

Knee jerk reactions from kindergarten to grade 12.
Assessments of threats from 5 year olds that have been playing video games and watching tv shows that glorify guns are just reflecting the modern entertainment they see, the threat is almost nil. 17 years old in high school that act out in a very hostile matter, should have a different reaction than 5 year old that may come from a bad environment at home and has had no parental training and no time to learn on their own.

Where is the common sense these days ?
edit on 1-2-2013 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Those are truly sad stories, especially the one you were personally involved in. I'm kinda suspicious that they came in to do an "inspection" right after he went to the counselor. It's like common sense is the coocoo that broke free from the clock and has flown out the window.

When you went and spoke on his behalf that should have been reason enough for them to drop it and allow him to attend school and not be suspended and expelled.

@ severed

@blue jay like I said it appears to have taken flight out the window

edit on 1-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: edit

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm sorry but playing cops and robbers / cowboys and Indians / soldier is no reason for someone to get into trouble..

Heck it was one of my favorite games growing up.... I never killed anyone.. was just me being a kid..

--------

Sure be afraid of school shootings..

But for #*(&% sake let kids be kids!!

edit on 1-2-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

We're raising a generation of people that will associate firearms with punishment. They will be afraid of guns. Afraid to touch, use, draw guns.

This is social engineering at it's worst!

Agreed, I don't see children learning anything useful from punishment like this except maybe fear of authority.

The "state" (via the school system) is replacing parents as the picture of authority. The parents, are now in fear of the "authority" because they do want their children to succeed. So the parents will reinforce the dictates that the schools impose.

Home schooling seems the only answer, in my humble opinion.

There are some private schools that aren't bad. Make sure it's a small one and ask lots of questions and observe a few of the classes first. There are still some good ones out there.

There are also a few good public schools left, they're just harder to find

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thommmy
Do you realize how many school shootings there are in the USA?

And sometimes banks get robbed. Sometimes people get carjacked. Sometimes people get mugged on the street

Oh Dear god! We better lock ourselves in our bedroom and never come out! Oh wait! Sometimes houses get broken into! What shall we do?

How about we get realistic and understand that bad things will happen. Guns or not. If a person wants to do a harm, they will do it with a gun or not. Over reacting is not going to help a thing.

Punishing kids for stupid things ( Yes, getting in trouble for having a paper gun is stupid!) is not going to to anything but make people more afraid.

We don't need fear...We need reason, understanding and we need to know that it is okay to defend ourselves if need be.

Banning guns will not stop crime. That is reality. I'd rather see a push for proper and responsible use of hand guns. Maybe then people will take them more seriously. Banning guns only takes them away from responsible, lawful citizens.

Ever wonder where criminals who are no longer allowed to have guns, get them? Maybe you should look into that before suggesting a gun ban would solve anything.

Stop teaching our kids to be afraid to stand up for whats right.! Start teaching our kids to stand up for whats right....

Popular or not that is where I stand.
edit on 1-2-2013 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai

We're raising a generation of people that will associate firearms with punishment. They will be afraid of guns. Afraid to touch, use, draw guns.

This is social engineering at it's worst!

Agreed, I don't see children learning anything useful from punishment like this except maybe fear of authority.

The "state" (via the school system) is replacing parents as the picture of authority. The parents, are now in fear of the "authority" because they do want their children to succeed. So the parents will reinforce the dictates that the schools impose.

Home schooling seems the only answer, in my humble opinion.

There are some private schools that aren't bad. Make sure it's a small one and ask lots of questions and observe a few of the classes first. There are still some good ones out there.

There are also a few good public schools left, they're just harder to find

I know you mean well, but this is not an option for alot of people. Private schools cost money, serious money, money that most folks don't have. Changing public schools is not always an option either. Moving takes money, money alot of folks don't have. The way public schools work is you have to be a resident of the town that the school services.

When my ex moved to where I live MA from TX I had to help her out and send money so her and her children could move. That was about 15 years ago, things have not gotten better in that time.

edit on 1-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: clarification

edit on 1-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: typo

edit on 1-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: more clarification

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

You do make a good point.

Some private schools do offer discount tuition or scholarships, but they are also hard to come by.

I suppose I mostly wanted to point out that not all schools are terrible and not all schools have things like this going on. But I do see your point that not everyone is able to afford that option.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Second clip. Aim better

I was thinking of the twin sister 98 in the other hand.
Beats changing clips for response time. 2nd.
Always meant to ask Ricky... is that a Moose Maul,or
some extraterrestrial parked on a fence post...IDK???

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhorse

Oh no! Did the kids feel bad when they were in trouble? Good. That's how you teach right from wrong.

No.

These policies have nothing to do with teaching children right from wrong. That is just the excuse, and an absurdly transparent one at that.

That's how you employ behavior modification techniques sanctioned by the state to brain wash children into thinking guns are bad. This is mass psychology, and bad, irresponsible psychology at that implemented to make the upcoming generation compliant.

These children did not actually do anything violent, therefore they did nothing wrong, yet they were shamed and punished like criminals before an act was committed. They were not actually acting in a way that was, or speaking of doing something violent. All of this was with toy weapons and in the context of play. Such draconian responses for play is abusive.

Responses such as yours are just proof that the brain washing is working and people rely upon the state to tell them what is right or wrong; which will only benefit the state in the end.

I not only had to afford a star for your post, but was compelled to respond.
That was a most accurate characterization of exactly what is wrong with
the PC mentality being driven into our young.. for generations. The social
engineers know exactly what they're doing, and the robots/robettes are
now assuming posts of assumed authority for what may be the last time
needed. When the state determines morality, right and wrong-- you get this.
For my end of it, psychology in general has been co-opted a century ago by
closet megalomaniacs: and the proponents of this "program" deserve to be
exiled to Vienna and every passport revoked immediately afterward. Forget
the emoticons, there will never be an appropriate one. And I will not apologise
for this rant-- it keeps me from chipping the paint off a nearby machine tool
with my fist. Blob help us all.. and for God's sake ingest them first.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join