It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing! Want To See Your DNA? It's Easy, See How!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
In Australia we call it washing up liquid or washing up detergent.

you americans make the word aluminum sound like a light source.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectAnomoly

Dish washing liquid, dish soap, dish detergent or doing the dishes refers to just that and includes the word dish. I'm not going to lie, I was a little confused and speculated it was soap but it could be a little more specific, especially in regards to a science experiment.

Also washing up could literally refer to anything. Car, boat, shower, dishes, laundry.

Now we see why these little miscommunications or understandings turn into world wars.

forget to comment on the topic. LOL. I like this as it's a simple experiment that my son do for his little science fair. Thanks for the idea.
edit on 1/2/2013 by Revealation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation
reply to post by PerfectAnomoly

Dish washing liquid, dish soap, dish detergent or doing the dishes refers to just that and includes the word dish. I'm not going to lie, I was a little confused and speculated it was soap but it could be a little more specific, especially in regards to a science experiment.

Also washing up could literally refer to anything. Car, boat, shower, dishes, laundry.

Now we see why these little miscommunications or understandings turn into world wars.

forget to comment on the topic. LOL. I like this as it's a simple experiment that my son do for his little science fair. Thanks for the idea.
edit on 1/2/2013 by Revealation because: (no reason given)

When we wash up we are doing the dishes with washing up liquid . when we wash our car we are washing our car with car wash. when we are doing our laundry, we are doing the washing with washing powder or liquid.

We aren't going to call it what you want us to call it. do we have to do what America wants?
edit on 1-2-2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

LOL "Anything to get the vodka out of the cupboard" nice. Love the profile gif, where did u get it?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by amraks

you americans make the word aluminum sound like a light source.

You mean Aluminium right?

[sings] Now hands that do dishes can feel as soft as your face, with mild green fairy DNA extraction formula liquid [/sings]

Pffft, doesn't have the same ring to it. (hears the yanks suddenly go "WTH is he on about???")

Wonder if this works with Irish whiskey.......need an excuse to get a bottle for the weekend.
edit on 1/2/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RiverRunsFree

That's a cool experiment. Thanks for sharing.

Although your comments about Brian Cox made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Cox is worse than Piers Morgan and I wish someone would take him off our hands. He's slimy and smarmy, loves himself, sees himself as a rockstar superstar scientist when in reality he does very little science, and he's every blooming where making films on subjects he has no knowledge of. I can barely find any current/recent science docs without his repulsive face plastered over them all. And those awful poses of him randomly on a mountain or cliff or hill top or a giant sand dune are so annoying and a waste of licence payers money. He's just like michio kaku who also sold out to beome a celebrity non-scientist in the same manner.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by flexy123
Cool thread, but the best thing was "washing-up liquid". You Brits are...weird....

What the hell do you call it? It's liquid used for washing up.

LOL We're weird, we call it dish soap...Now that I know what we're talking about, either term works.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Make it simple.. using "washing liquid" doe snot make sense.... it does not say its a detergent or a soap, it could be washing "water", washing "kool-aid", washing "soda".

Make sense are...

-Liquid Soap,
-Dish detergent
-Dish washing soap
-Washing soap
-heck... cleaning soap...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

While I cannot say whether this is DNA or not, I am curious how you got you hands on TGI Friday's Martini recipe...!?!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Thank you for your input, sounds like you know what your talking about so I won't argue

But I see the words " what you have is possibly DNA + Protein + Cell debris" however if the cell debris and proteins fall to the bottom, does that not leave DNA floating in strands like you see in the picture? Just a question as I'm no expert.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

While I cannot say whether this is DNA or not, I am curious how you got you hands on TGI Friday's Martini recipe...!?!

Hee hee love it.

I didn't expect a debate on washing up liquid but it's funny

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Awesome. I done this and it looked awesome. I wonder who discovered it does this what a smart guy.

Anyway thanks OP this was a fun thing to try. S n F

Also not to anyone DO NOT DRINK it tastes so bad.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
1. Dish soap.
2. laundry detergent.

Neat thread, I want to try it with my kids this weekend as they are all working on their science fair stuff anyway.

So any particular color dish soap?

Can we use regular household alcohol?

And Sea salt ok or does it need to be iodized?

(You know I do have a centrifuge somewhere buried out in the garage, would that really be needed as one poster suggested, would it give a better showing of the DNA?)

Any suggestions on this as a school science experiment would be appreciated.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Does anyone else have pictures of their experiments? I'd love to try this but don't want to waste any of my Vodka if it's going to fail.

If this works would it be possible to freeze it? I know it takes 24 hours to freeze Vodka but unsure if washing up liquid freezes.
edit on 1/2/13 by Ramcheck because: typo

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Very cool.

Will be doing this to freak out my girl friend, haha.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Make it simple.. using "washing liquid" doe snot make sense.... it does not say its a detergent or a soap, it could be washing "water", washing "kool-aid", washing "soda".

Make sense are...

-Liquid Soap,
-Dish detergent
-Dish washing soap
-Washing soap
-heck... cleaning soap...

But, it's always been 'Washing up liquid'.

Liquid soap makes no sense, it could easily be a hand sanitiser.
Dish detergent isn't too bad, detergent is a horrible word though.
Dish washing soap sounds like a tongue twister.
Washing soap could be anything.
Cleaning soap could also be anything at all.

Washing up liquid is what it is and always has been.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

Of course im not saying what is the correct term, some folks grow up with calling soft drinks, Soda, some grow up with pop.

Liquid Soap is just what it is.. liquid soap... not solid. It mentions the Item + its state.

Haha, i do not know how you got hand sanitizer from liquid soap*yes i do know about those foam sanitizers, but all are alcohol in the end.

The think about washing up liquid, is that it does not state what the liquid is... you can wash up with anything.. water, hydrogen peroxide, bleach.. hot water etc.

Again, i'm not stating what is correct, but it just does not make sense to call it liquid without stating what it is.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Thank you for the brilliant post. Must give it a try.

I've heard human DNA is about 3 metres long!!

Might get hold of some glass tubing and turn it into a piece of art complete with LED illumination.

That should keep me off the internet for a few hours...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

My wife is a science teacher and I just showed her this thread, she thought it was brilliant, as did I
SNF for you my friend

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by RiverRunsFree
reply to post by luciddream

Thank you for your input, sounds like you know what your talking about so I won't argue

But I see the words " what you have is possibly DNA + Protein + Cell debris" however if the cell debris and proteins fall to the bottom, does that not leave DNA floating in strands like you see in the picture? Just a question as I'm no expert.

See that was my main point, you did not add the proteinase(the enzyme that break proteins) so your DNA is still combined with Protein and is not floating freely but mixed up with Proteins and debris.

Cell >(STEP 1) Lysis Solution(soap detergent) > breaks membrane around cells/Nucleus exposed > DNA/Histone exposed > (STEP2) Poteinase > breaks Proteins from DNA > DNA.

What you have is everything before step 2 which is "DNA/Histone exposed".

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join