It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing! Want To See Your DNA? It's Easy, See How!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
If this thread gets any more flags and they will be serving these as shots in a bar somewhere soon !

BOAK !

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Cool thread, but the best thing was "washing-up liquid". You Brits are...weird....

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Struggling to see how that is weird to an American... except purely because they haven't heard the phrase before...

It's a liquid, that is used to wash the dishes..... what you call "doing the dishes", we call "washing up".... simples...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Have to say this is cool, I'm going to try it out.

You would think DNA was harder to extract than just applying washing-up liquid/dish soap, salt and alcohol. What would happen if I swallowed these ingredients? would my DNA fall out....

Hang on, this sounds like the lemon, salt and tequila shot drink, not doing that again knowing this

Thanks OP.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Kind of strange. How do we know if it is our DNA or the DNA of the millions of bacteria and fungus living in our mouths that forms this slime?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
rude knee jerk response. sorry.
edit on 1-2-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by RiverRunsFree

Scientists just recently managed to photograph pure raw DNA. It doesn't look like anything you have inside that glass. Sorry, but your gullibility kind of astounds me. It really does. It actually depresses me to think we've been doing such a poor job of teaching ATS how to rationalize.

That was a bit harsh, I'm not gullible, this information was taken from scientists, why am I gullible for listening to scientists? There's even a lab technician on this thread that's confirmed this is the correct protocol. I'm not saying this is PURE raw DNA, this is not a picture taken a microscopic levels either, which I'm guessing is the picture you've seen.

Your rudeness astounds me! It actually depresses me to think we've been doing such a poor job of teaching ATS how to be civil.
edit on 1-2-2013 by RiverRunsFree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I can find all kinds of Brian Cox videos on BBC. Is this where you're talking about?

www.bbc.co.uk...

I'm gonna try this, just to see what happens.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

You said DNA. You didn't say spit-soup. You didn't say a rough representation. You said DNA. That, right there, is not the DNA I was looking for. Your title is misleading.

I apologize for my brusque manner, but this sort of thing happens all too often. DNA is microscopic. If it can be seen with the naked eye, it is not DNA.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Yep that's it... the programme is on your link, 4th one down - 'Wonders of Life - What is Life'.

I recommend watching the whole thing but if you want to jump to the DNA bit go to 47mins.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Ok, tell that to the professor who says it's DNA, I'm sure you know better.

I on the other hand I don't know better because I've just passed on what a scientist is telling me, not some jo on the internet. I made this clear in the OP.

edit on 1-2-2013 by RiverRunsFree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I was very sceptical until I saw where you got it from... wow. That's really cool, I'll give it a go. Do you have to wait between the steps or can you do each one immediately after the other?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Scientists just recently managed to photograph pure raw DNA. It doesn't look like anything you have inside that glass. Sorry, but your gullibility kind of astounds me. It really does. It actually depresses me to think we've been doing such a poor job of teaching ATS how to rationalize.

You clearly need to learn how to rationalize yourself before teaching others.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

You can do it immediately after each step, the strands appear fast too.

Shouldn't take more than 5 mins to do, glad your trying it out

I think the reason it can be seen by the naked eye is because of the salt, it clumps the molecules together, I could be wrong.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Cool thread, but the best thing was "washing-up liquid". You Brits are...weird....

What the hell do you call it? It's liquid used for washing up.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

If you're talking about water, just say water, dang it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

If you're talking about water, just say water, dang it.

(Water is also called water in Britain)
edit on 1-2-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I don't see the words "washing up liquid" on that bottle. Is that dish soap?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
As a microbiologist who did this many times during my school years, with cheek cells, ecoli, peas....

This homemade crude method is not showing the DNA, but a mixtures of DNA, Protein, Cells membranes and other cytoplasmic organs and debris. All this did was make a soup out of entire thing.

What you are seeing is just a hacked up cells.

Once you swabs your cheek, you need to add a lysis solution, which contains detergent like solution(cleaner detergent) also a Proteinase solution(this one is not mentioned).... in order to separate DNA, you need to break open cells(detergent) and break open the Histones(proteins, needs proteinase to break) that are attached to the DNA, remember, DNA is coiled up.

This is where you add salt, which causes the debris, but not DNA to clump together. Now to centrifuge and separate by density. This further separates the liquid into debris section and DNA section. DNA is still mixed in the solution(they don't clump) so they stay on top, while the proteins and debris sink to the bottom due to their mass and clump(if proteinase is not added, DNA will be mixed with proteins..well its not just DNA anymore.

After extraction of the solution containing the DNA strands, you add alcohol to clump the DNA together, which makes it visible.

There are other tests like gel electrophoresis, in order to see the strands. This is what is done during paternal testing and crime investigation, gel separates them by strands size... , you conpare the evidence DNA with comparison DNA and if the band size match, well you have a match!, but this one is more expensive because, you need to buy specific enzyme to cut DNA.

OP i cannot see the video but if it mentions proteinase solution, then you should have a DNA, but i doubt it would not be possible with out a centrifuge and proteinase solution.

What you have is possibly DNA + Protein + Cell debris(due to no centrifuge).
edit on 2/1/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I don't see the words "washing up liquid" on that bottle. Is that dish soap?

Sorry, are we not allowed cultural differences? Yes, it's dish soap.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join