It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Republicans Propose Bill That Would Not Allow Atheists To Graduate High School

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'm an atheist and I would have no problem saying those words but I don't see this going very far and I'm sure that even if it passed there would be an option to leave that last bit out, because of religious reasons.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
As long as they have their guns the rest of the Amendments don't matter

it's quite bizarre the amount one will fight for guns but not other "" Freedoms ""

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Although I believe in god, this is a stupid bill in the first place, to have students take an oath of national allegiance is just silly.

Don't get all riled up over it. Dems propose stupid stuff all the time that never gets passed into law, thank God! LOL!

"....So help me god" What do nonbelievers say in a court room?

I find it interesting we even sware "....by god" when the bible tells us not to.

What I find even more interesting is you found this angle as exciting!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

There are things some Christians believe are outside of religion, believe it or not.

Some don't believe in burning at the stake "unbelievers".

As a believer, I'd share a foxhole with you to defend your right to not believe just as I would ones right to. And is I'd kill a "Christian that tried to murder an "unbeliever."

Somethings are just going to have to washout in the end. It is not a Christians job to convince those that are wrong.

People confuse Catholics with Cristians. What the Roman church has done in history is not what the,.... even their bible, said to do.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by murphy22

"....So help me god" What do nonbelievers say in a court room?

There's this thing called an affirmation that people can take.

eg Affirmation

‘Do you solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm and declare that the evidence you shall give to the court and jury sworn between our sovereign lady the Queen and the prisoner/s at the bar shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?’

The witness will respond: ‘I do.’

- Queensland (Australia) court protocol

What I find even more interesting is you found this angle as exciting!

I find it disturbing that you think I am excited by it!!
edit on 27-1-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I knew the answer. People do have a choice if they don't wish to say "...god". As I am sure they will should this pass the legal gauntlet and become law in Arizona. But it would never pass a Federal court so it would be nixt.

The bold "so help me god" kind of lead me to believe this was an emotional tragedy for you. I am glad to find out you are calm, cool and collected... as it should be. Wouldn't want the thought of the word god to cause a heart attack. Thats why I used small case letters when spelling it..... don't want to scare people.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

and your point is what?

My point is, that your a hypocrit!
You are trying to do what my government, already does very well, and that is squak about nonsense to get people to become more divided! Also, the fact that you are not even a US citizen ans come on here stirring the pot!

I might also add, that I proved to you your whole OP is ridiculous! Athiests do not believe in God. Right? Then why be in an uproar, over taking an oath to something you believe is nonexistent????? That makes the whole idea of taking an oath nothing more than a mere formality does it not?

Continue your ridiculous crusade to futher separate those of us who actually LIVE IN THIS COUNTRY! I love how you try to come across as respecting "SOME" peoples rights, while going on in topics relating to the 2nd, denying those people theirs!

Edit: Also to add, this was already posted. You just chose to pick a site that twisted it as something to be against Athiests. Nuff said! As I have already said, I am against our youth being made to swear and oath, to something they have already worked for and earned! GET IT?
edit on 27-1-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

Here ya go! The difference between your OP and the person who made the original post on this topic is that they did not twist it to create an agenda as you did!

ATS Arizona bill AZ HB2467 requires graduating high school students to take an oath

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

"I, _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic,....so help me god"

OH! I was expecting something different.

Title is just a tad misleading, don't you think?

me too.... very funny and yeah if you dont believe so what just put your damn hand on the bible and sware its out of respect for the creator WE believe in so we dont lynch your ass... ppl we are just now coming out of caves as a WHOLE and ppl want to shove dirt at us jesus /endrant
edit on 27-1-2013 by GRS1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
They should change the 'under God' language to 'under the sky,' or 'under the roof of this High School auditorium.' Presto change-o, no more unconstitutionality.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

and your point is what?

My point is, that your a hypocrit!
You are trying to do what my government, already does very well, and that is squak about nonsense to get people to become more divided! Also, the fact that you are not even a US citizen ans come on here stirring the pot!

I might also add, that I proved to you your whole OP is ridiculous! Athiests do not believe in God. Right? Then why be in an uproar, over taking an oath to something you believe is nonexistent????? That makes the whole idea of taking an oath nothing more than a mere formality does it not?

Continue your ridiculous crusade to futher separate those of us who actually LIVE IN THIS COUNTRY! I love how you try to come across as respecting "SOME" peoples rights, while going on in topics relating to the 2nd, denying those people theirs!

Edit: Also to add, this was already posted. You just chose to pick a site that twisted it as something to be against Athiests. Nuff said! As I have already said, I am against our youth being made to swear and oath, to something they have already worked for and earned! GET IT?

Here ya go! The difference between your OP and the person who made the original post on this topic is that they did not twist it to create an agenda as you did!

ATS Arizona bill AZ HB2467 requires graduating high school students to take an oath

well... i have to agree you made me draw a line in god and country and i agree citizen or not the constitution is our filter for society and with me as an individual god is mine but i do say for a degree nah no oath but yeah i stand for the one in court or office to serve in office it become philosophical rather then religous so there ya have it i just now saw that god can be used as a measuring tool properly ramble ramble ramble lol n e ways GL and theres my two cents

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
They should change the 'under God' language to 'under the sky,' or 'under the roof of this High School auditorium.' Presto change-o, no more unconstitutionality.

very fine line we are treading to me any one who dosent believes in god is dangerous in my opinion but yeah if you believe in nothing well damn lol idk we got here some way the primordial pool or not we got here with help i mean one day a monomer was like hey why dont we join up and learn how to be better then came the polymers and so forth sorta like an example of human life lol but i don't believe coincidence can happen like this and be this complex sorry just cant in my opinion but again n e ways

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
There's just as much value behind those four words as there is that piece of paper they're proposing be said in order to obtain it. Words are only as meaningful as the people saying it and the people hearing it intend it to be, and educational diplomas are no longer worth the paper their laser-printed onto; even the signatures are copies, just rolling out of print shops and paper trays like junk bonds and advertising fliers.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GRS1234

See, that's just it. I believe in God, you don't or vica versa, who cares. Why does it have to become another issue in our society, which by the way is hanging on strings from becoming and all out disaster area where it is every man/woman for themselves, when all we have to do IS LEAVE EACH OTHER THE HELL ALONE?????

Everyday, I can count on reading how everything is the fault of this group or everything is the fault of that group, and in reality, the whole reason this whole planet is screwed is because we have all believed in governments whom have become corrupt!!!! How many people say, "People who believe in God are idiots! God doesn't exist."? But yet, these same people defend government officials whom have proven that their existance is to serve no other than the corporations whom have enslaved the lot of us???? Seriously, not sure who is most deserving of being locked up in the loony bin.....

It isn't hard to see that in the US, that our government does NOT represent the people. It represents the banks and the corporations. YET! We have allowed these criminals to turn us against each other over issues that have no bearing whatsoever on the crimes THEY have committed against it's own citizens...............

WTF!!!! When are people going to quit focusing on ridiculous issues such as this, and focus on the real problems of our country????

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GRS1234

Your wording is very confusing. Are you trying to turn this into a conversation about the existence of God? Because that is a completely different topic. The op is trying to bring up the whole separation of church and state thing with this oath. But he is missing the forest for the trees when the real problem is making kids swear an oath of allegiance to the country just to obtain a diploma.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

reply to post by GRS1234

See, that's just it. I believe in God, you don't or vica versa, who cares. Why does it have to become another issue in our society, which by the way is hanging on strings from becoming and all out disaster area where it is every man/woman for themselves, when all we have to do IS LEAVE EACH OTHER THE HELL ALONE?????

Everyday, I can count on reading how everything is the fault of this group or everything is the fault of that group, and in reality, the whole reason this whole planet is screwed is because we have all believed in governments whom have become corrupt!!!! How many people say, "People who believe in God are idiots! God doesn't exist."? But yet, these same people defend government officials whom have proven that their existance is to serve no other than the corporations whom have enslaved the lot of us???? Seriously, not sure who is most deserving of being locked up in the loony bin.....

It isn't hard to see that in the US, that our government does NOT represent the people. It represents the banks and the corporations. YET! We have allowed these criminals to turn us against each other over issues that have no bearing whatsoever on the crimes THEY have committed against it's own citizens...............

WTF!!!! When are people going to quit focusing on ridiculous issues such as this, and focus on the real problems of our country????

i agree there and theres just a "touch" of passion in your voice lol but the thread is about god and country so im throwing my two cents in there about god and country in a utopia world ill never get but w/e lol and your right again
i decide to place my faith in god because i create him and he creates me i dont in politians or government you see theres a good place where you can run to in your mind to help you and its been used for good and bad for EVER so yeah i have no fear of god neither he me there ya go thats what makes me tick can ya mess with it??? think not at least not in my life time hopefully yeah and again screw the system because it has become corruptible as all things will only religious text and when i apply them literal or allegory i believe in sorta like the constitution you know that hole riddled piece of paper we "all" hold dear

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t
reply to post by GRS1234

Your wording is very confusing. Are you trying to turn this into a conversation about the existence of God? Because that is a completely different topic. The op is trying to bring up the whole separation of church and state thing with this oath. But he is missing the forest for the trees when the real problem is making kids swear an oath of allegiance to the country just to obtain a diploma.

HAHA well said or more appropriately AH HA i found it jim!!! ahh the good ole forest through the trees metaphor love it my father taught me this in a life lesson but yeah ether hes daft or WAY off maybe both lol

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel_X
There's just as much value behind those four words as there is that piece of paper they're proposing be said in order to obtain it. Words are only as meaningful as the people saying it and the people hearing it intend it to be, and educational diplomas are no longer worth the paper their laser-printed onto; even the signatures are copies, just rolling out of print shops and paper trays like junk bonds and advertising fliers.

very gloom and doom but true that should be put into poetry my friend

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GRS1234

And your beliefs are not a threat to me!
See where I am coming from? I, as do you believe in the Constitution as you do, don't you find these squabbles over petty things, (considering the horror we are soon to face) ridiculous and moronically selfish by design?

I know we are on the same page, with the only difference being our beliefs in who the creator actually is, but that is totally cool with me.
I used to consider myself a Christian, but because of my environment and experiences, I have changed my philosophy on it. However, I still respect yours.

I judge my fellow man on how they treat others not by their speeches or ideologies....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t
reply to post by GRS1234

well this is sort of a self refuting argument here because you got state and church and thats state and god or has church become somthing other then god lol dont answer that pun intended but yeah i mis read your post no im not trying to turn it into god or w/e he mislead me with his title and i jumped the gun sorta like i dd with your post sorry foot is in teh mouth now

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

reply to post by GRS1234

And your beliefs are not a threat to me!
See where I am coming from? I, as do you believe in the Constitution as you do, don't you find these squabbles over petty things, (considering the horror we are soon to face) ridiculous and moronically selfish by design?

I know we are on the same page, with the only difference being our beliefs in who the creator actually is, but that is totally cool with me.
I used to consider myself a Christian, but because of my environment and experiences, I have changed my philosophy on it. However, I still respect yours.

I judge my fellow man on how they treat others not by their speeches or ideologies....

very good and yeah this is where me and you differ i give them no control over me as you do and i refrence "the horrible stuff we soon follow" or w/e whats gonna happen? lol the hype bubble gona pop again lke 2012 look god dose everything if he shoves my nose in # then its in # its up to me to find a deeper meaning as to why he did it to help me simple coping skills and id say quit worrying about the sheep they will wake up when they want to

EDIT sorry for turning this into a god thread but i was mislead by the title i agree with separation from the church to an extent until we go before a court room and when we run for office but this is my opinion on the body as a whole again my opinion and it is not supported by the constitution and this is as close as government will get hence my utopian society i will never get

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join