It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Australian Flag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
With talk of Australia becoming a republic heating back up its only natural that the debate to change the Australian Flag has opened back up as well.

Many Australians hate that we have a Union Jack on our flag. One group has done something about it by creating a 'sporting flag'.

A HIGH-powered alliance of top Australians has unveiled a new national sporting flag and plans to use it to gatecrash major sporting events.

The new flag is pitched at sporting events only, but the group hopes to use it to help change attitudes and eventually knock the Union Jack off the official flag with another design.

www.news.com.au...
This is their flag.

Im not a huge fan.
Better than having a Union Jack on it though I guess.

The Australian Flag is not Australian. It has a pommy Union Jack on it like so many other former Redcoat colonies. I am glad we are talking about changing it again. Australia is in such a great position to become an independent Asian Republic.
Some think that the Aboriginal Flag should be incorporated but I disagree. The Aboriginal Flag has become a symbol of division in Australian society. I also dont like the look of the Aboriginal Flag.

Imagine this train wreck...

Pass.

I think the logical answer is the Eureka Standard. The Southern Cross. This flag is Australian. The Eureka Standard is a symbol of an independent Australia that would not be pushed around by Imperial Redcoat pommies.

The real Australian Flag has always been the Eureka Standard. We should make it official.

edit on 25-1-2013 by stuntmanbob because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stuntmanbob

I l love Aussies, I'm surprised it has taken this long for this to start happening.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I'm surprised you did not post this flag - released by the MSM in the last 24-48hrs as an alternative
www.abc.net.au...

I like the eureka flag, unfortunately the MSM has done a fine job of linking it to militant unionism so I don't think that the majority of "non-free thinking aussies" (aka: the iphone generation) will buy it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
If they change the flag I will not stop flying the one I consider the Australian Flag.

God whoever they have coming up with these ideas must be a 4 year old with a box of crayons. But sad as it is, they're still better than that pathetic rubbish banana flag they tried to force on us years ago.

The flag as it is works for me.

"Oh but it looks like so and sos flag and it symbolises still being under the monarchy."

It's Australias flag. We were built under a monarchy. I don't like the roylas one bit, but I don't think poking my head in the sand and yelling "Never happened never happened lalalalalala" will change that. Nor should we ignore it.

If they get away with this, the real Flag will still be raised. This bubblegum sticker garbage should be shhshed..

edit on 25-1-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft

I don't mind this flag actually. The one suggested in the OP is far too South American looking for my tastes - and contrary to popular opinion some Aussies, myself included, do not worship sports.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Pretty funky.

I really hope a new flag doesnt focus on Aboriginals. They are such a small fraction of the population.

I also think its an insult to Australians that are not Aboriginal. We are one but we are many and all that. I dont buy into the whole 'First Australian' stuff. Thats nazi talk as far as Im concerned.

But yeah, pretty funky flag. It seems kind of lame for a national flag though. Makes me think of womens basketball or something.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Agreed.......I like the flag the way it is.

It is quintessential Australia, imo.

I am currently holding a beer up - for you, Kryties and all the Aussies here on ATS on this special day. Going into Freo later on with the wife and kids for a few cold ones with the lads

God bless Australia........
edit on 26-1-2013 by Sublimecraft because:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I am currently holding a beer up - for you, Kryties and all the Aussies here on ATS on this special day.

Would you believe it's also my birthday today
I am eternally cursed with Southern Cross tattoos and people wearing Aussie flags as capes on my birthday

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Freo boy aye???

I might even see you in there.

Yes, lets leave the bloody flag alone. It's fine just the way it is.

I'll have a beer for you too

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
If they change the flag I will not stop flying the one I consider the Australian Flag.

God whoever they have coming up with these ideas must be a 4 year old with a box of crayons. But sad as it is, they're still better than that pathetic rubbish banana flag they tried to force on us years ago.

The flag as it is works for me.

"Oh but it looks like so and sos flag and it symbolises still being under the monarchy."

It's Australias flag. We were built under a monarchy. I don't like the roylas one bit, but I don't think poking my head in the sand and yelling "Never happened never happened lalalalalala" will change that. Nor should we ignore it.

If they get away with this, the real Flag will still be raised. This bubblegum sticker garbage should be shhshed..

edit on 25-1-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

Its not our flag if we become a republic. It would be only natural for us to have a flag that is not linked to England.

The monarchists were only 55% in the last referendum. I lot of old people have died since then. Do you really think Kate and Wills are enough to convince Australians to keep ties with England? Its not about the past, its about the future. Australia is a part of Asia. England is the past. There is no need to be sentimental. My Dad had to sing God Save The Queen in school when he was a kid. They were brainwashed. Nobody cares about England anymore and nor should we. They are just a country to make fun of and beat at sport against the odds.

A new flag makes all the sense in the world.
edit on 26-1-2013 by stuntmanbob because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Well happy birthday bro........and I'll have another beer - in honour of the occasion!

reply to post by Strewth

Awesome!!!

I'll be at Rosie's or the Norfolk. I'll be the bloke with the hypo kids and hot wife

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Dude.. that top flag is boss. Also, the one posted by sublimecraft is not bad.
I'm not an Aussie, so someone oblige me.. what is this "banana flag" another poster mentioned as having been suggested in the past?
edit on 26-1-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

reply to post by winofiend

Agreed.......I like the flag the way it is.

It is quintessential Australia, imo.

I am currently holding a beer up - for you, Kryties and all the Aussies here on ATS on this special day. Going into Freo later on with the wife and kids for a few cold ones with the lads

God bless Australia........

Haha, Cheers mate, I said something similar in reply to a post of yours yesterday, in case everyone's out on the grog celebrating.

Freo! Good day for it, warm outside, be nice about now, time for the freo doctor.

I was planning on heading to the city to see what's new since the foreshore has all been ruined, but I'll just lament giving up drinking too much, haha, so coffee and a lazy day will suffice.

Oi Oi Oi!!

And Kia Ora !!

-- Edit

Also, this.. I think this means something. Flag could be a ripped up flannelette shirt bung over the car areal as you drive around but the Aussie spirit is what matters.

We're all different, from different areas, different things we do .. Hehe different opinions - that I'm sure we know. but get a mob of us together.
Look out you, world, we're mad as a bag of ferrets.

edit on 26-1-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

I like the honesty of this design.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Dude.. that top flag is boss.

It does grow on ya hey? Its like a sleeper.

I think I associate the green and gold with fuzzy aussie feelings or something. But yeah, I didnt like it at first, but its actually kinda cool.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Those three particular shades of green, yellow (or gold), and blue are perfectly matched. Nice balance, I dig it.
I'm an American so it's not of too much consequence for me, but I think we can all be real that as of now, most of the western worlds flags are pretty tacky. I know that seems blasphemous for me to say, but I like nicely matched colors. We just, you know, put too much on there.
edit on 26-1-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
If they do go with an Aboriginal feel I hope its something like this.

edit on 26-1-2013 by stuntmanbob because: go

This one made me laugh

The Boxing Kangaroo was our 'sporting flag'. I wonder how he feels about being replaced.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Comrade Chad is onto the plan, we've been rumbled!!

*jumps out window*

new topics

top topics

join