It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is being “Homeless” such a bad thing? Maybe it's not!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Wanderer112358

Because stability and order is seen as civilized. Being able to establish a system and maintain it. It's all about order. We're afraid of chaos.

Exactly my friend. It is all about fear. Once we overcome this fear, anything is possible.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglimogli
Ahhh ... tell that to the hard working people who pay high taxes .. taxes that are used to support the homeless ...
Nobody likes work ...it sucks .. but we all have to do it to maintain a fair quality of life .. and yes .. a roof over the head at a minimum ..
If you truly want to be homeless .. don't accept any welfare ..do things on your own .. and you will have my respect ..

Can you see your hate in this post. How many homeless actually accept welfare or handouts? I don't and many that could don't also. Try not to judge others and to hate those you don't even know.

Live as you wish and let them do the same.

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Time warp!!!

Welcome back from the 1960s

There were many people in that time that were questioning how to lead life. They were trying out different lifestyles like communes and getting back to nature.

I built my own houses because I didn't fancy raising my family in the back of a refurbished bus.

I was one of one two people in my peer group to actually end up living in the country.

I've worked several different careers and now am close to retirement.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wanderer112358

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
The complexity is interesting. Ive noted where I live that the homeless band togeather. They seem happy. If that makes sense but they look "rough" in face and clothing. Maybe they appreciate more. I mean perhaps our culture is no longer appreciative of what we have.

Are gypsies victims? ( They are considered homeless ) They have their homes in their vehicles. I dont consider them victims. As they usually have loving families and an income thats enough to live in a healthy way.
edit on 24-1-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

Yes! Yes! This is what I find the most interesting. This is a VERY complex topic. Is it complex because of we are and where we came from over the thousands of years? I think so. It touches something in us when we see these kinds of people.

Yes, many do seem quite happy at times. I'm NOT saying that their lives are not difficult, but maybe happy in spite of their burden or because of it? Gypsies are seen as a happy people. That seems to irritate us for some reason... Why?

Interesting...

I can tell you exactly why they appear "happy" or more happy. During their journey they discovered they don't have to struggle daily to achieve or acquire wealth and stuff. They are free from that "program".

I'll tell you a story.

One time during my outdoor adventures I was (ahem) in a dumpster. Some manufacturing place, it was good for wire, brass fittings and stuff. Right when I was in there, a catering truck (roach coach) showed up and everyone piled out of the building for break time.

I was so embarrassed I hid in the dumpster so they wouldn't see me. I didn't want anyone to see me in my soiled dumpster diving "grandeur". Some guy peeked his head over the rim and asked me if I was taking out or putting in? Taking out I said. What for? To recycle the metals. Oh, he said. Thats okay. I stood up and all the people were quietly observing us from a distance.
Are you all right, he asks, do you need anything? No, I replied, I'm alight. Thanks though.

I told him it was embarrassing for me to be seen and right away tells me that all those people talked about me every time I showed up there. When you 'dive' you have a 'route' that takes you around town to places that throw away stuff that can be sold as scrap metal or sold at fleamarkets and such. So you might become a "regular" at certain places and the people that work there might get to know you. That can be a good or bad thing... anyway he says,

"Don't feel bad at all. All those people right there would give a years pay to have two weeks of what you got."

"Whats that?" I replied.

He was surprised... "Why... freedom." True freedom. Freedom from responsibility, freedom from chasing the dollar and then having to give it all away for a certain but unfulfilling existence.

I can't remember how he said it exactly. Something like that. I left with a new understanding. Its different when you are on the outside looking in. Unless you been there you wouldn't understand.

I have another one about the "happy homeless", but it can wait.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Time warp!!!

Welcome back from the 1960s

There were many people in that time that were questioning how to lead life. They were trying out different lifestyles like communes and getting back to nature.

I built my own houses because I didn't fancy raising my family in the back of a refurbished bus.

I was one of one two people in my peer group to actually end up living in the country.

I've worked several different careers and now am close to retirement.

I am past the age of so called "retirement". I will never be able to nor would I ever want to "retire". I want to use this life up completely right up until the moment that I pass beyond this reality. Think about that word, "retire". That means to stop, to finish. No, the older I get and the way I now see the world, that is the last thing I want to do with my remaining years. I want to be found along the road someday having finished this journey.

I bet that I am older than you. The hippies had some things right, but they got lost along the way. I am not going to get lost this time.

I find this world to be such an amazing adventure that it almost brings me to tears at time just being part of it...

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglimogli
Ahhh ... tell that to the hard working people who pay high taxes .. taxes that are used to support the homeless ...
Nobody likes work ...it sucks .. but we all have to do it to maintain a fair quality of life .. and yes .. a roof over the head at a minimum ..
If you truly want to be homeless .. don't accept any welfare ..do things on your own .. and you will have my respect ..

Can you see your hate in this post. How many homeless actually accept welfare or handouts? I don't and many that could don't also. Try not to judge others and to hate those you don't even know.

Live as you wish and let them do the same.

Peace

There's no hatred here my friend .. just facts .. there are tonnes of homeless people .. infact almost ALL who receive some form of government assistance .. this is because most homeless people are in that position not by choice ..!
All I'm telling you .. is that if you have this liking to be homeless .. due to any reason .. and have the means to get a place of your own .. but still choose to be homeless .. then do it on your own dime ..!
Learn to read to .. no judgement was passed ..

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

The complexity is interesting. Ive noted where I live that the homeless band togeather. They seem happy. If that makes sense but they look "rough" in face and clothing. Maybe they appreciate more. I mean perhaps our culture is no longer appreciative of what we have.

Are gypsies victims? ( They are considered homeless ) They have their homes in their vehicles. I dont consider them victims. As they usually have loving families and an income thats enough to live in a healthy way.

Yes! Yes! This is what I find the most interesting. This is a VERY complex topic. Is it complex because of we are and where we came from over the thousands of years? I think so. It touches something in us when we see these kinds of people.

Yes, many do seem quite happy at times. I'm NOT saying that their lives are not difficult, but maybe happy in spite of their burden or because of it? Gypsies are seen as a happy people. That seems to irritate us for some reason... Why?

Interesting...

I can tell you exactly why they appear "happy" or more happy. During their journey they discovered they don't have to struggle daily to achieve or acquire wealth and stuff. They are free from that "program".

I'll tell you a story.

One time during my outdoor adventures I was (ahem) in a dumpster. Some manufacturing place, it was good for wire, brass fittings and stuff. Right when I was in there, a catering truck (roach coach) showed up and everyone piled out of the building for break time.

I was so embarrassed I hid in the dumpster so they wouldn't see me. I didn't want anyone to see me in my soiled dumpster diving "grandeur". Some guy peeked his head over the rim and asked me if I was taking out or putting in? Taking out I said. What for? To recycle the metals. Oh, he said. Thats okay. I stood up and all the people were quietly observing us from a distance.
Are you all right, he asks, do you need anything? No, I replied, I'm alight. Thanks though.

I told him it was embarrassing for me to be seen and right away tells me that all those people talked about me every time I showed up there. When you 'dive' you have a 'route' that takes you around town to places that throw away stuff that can be sold as scrap metal or sold at fleamarkets and such. So you might become a "regular" at certain places and the people that work there might get to know you. That can be a good or bad thing... anyway he says,

"Don't feel bad at all. All those people right there would give a years pay to have two weeks of what you got."

"Whats that?" I replied.

He was surprised... "Why... freedom." True freedom. Freedom from responsibility, freedom from chasing the dollar and then having to give it all away for a certain but unfulfilling existence.

I can't remember how he said it exactly. Something like that. I left with a new understanding. Its different when you are on the outside looking in. Unless you been there you wouldn't understand.

I have another one about the "happy homeless", but it can wait.

You are very old soul. I hope you realize that. You are needed right now more than ever during these amazing times ahead of us.

See you on the other side my brother/sister.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Great post and I totally hope all who read it will appreciate it for its rather genius approach to opening up some eyes to the whole big picture and not just the physical 4 walls and a roof that most people now days don't leave from friday eve till monday morning back to a job that they are convinced is worth doing in order to pay for this so called castle for 30 plus years, and oh so appreciative that the first 15 years of payments is just interest, because they are on your side! I could go on, and on and on but the enslavement got even easier so now with whatever money you might have left, in this house (that makes us know were normal and adjusted society members) insurance that is paid even if nothing ever happens to you and the norm of taxes for everything, we just love even more paying for corporate utilities to power, gas and electric the for four walls and just like the theater concession counter industry geniuses, still can't stop laughing at us, the cable co has you bundled with such great savings, you don't even mind paying well over a hundred extra a month to have us all hooked on crap tv that isn't even what "CAble" started off to be originally. Oh and just to through in one more advantage to those 4 walls, is the stacked on top of and two feet of grass yard you have with it just for good measure. Christ, our self worth wasn't even worth at least and acre around these 4 walls so we don't have to see the neighbor we don't know everytime you open your front door and don't know how to react if you actually have to make eye contact with them.

Yeah, I am in one with the author of this thread that, I truly do find freedom and confidence being my own debtor and creditor to say, and never have a day that I don't stop if only for a moment and remind myself as I look up into the universe and just know that not one material/monetary item could protect me from my size compared to its infinite. and didn't that guy Issac Newton get that idea he had from lying under an apple tree at that time? hum.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Awww shucks. Don't take this the wrong way...

What was already in you (and in everyone) helped you to see that. It brought you to this place of understanding, the same way it did me. Thank that, not me.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
You mean its okay with those with homes to recieve help from taxpayers but not the homeless. There is a huge host of reasons that causes a person to be homeless. Again as was listed above, they arent always for the reason of mental illness or substance abuse, this is 1/3 of homeless people. The rest it could be domestic violence, divorce, inflation of morgage, natural disaster, and other reasons.

Yes Gypsies tend to be self-sufficiate money wise. They support their gypsy lifestyle. I think this is better.

I mean you can work and travel. Many do.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Awww shucks. Don't take this the wrong way...

What was already in you (and in everyone) helped you to see that. It brought you to this place of understanding, the same way it did me. Thank that, not me.

*smile* So many see this time we are in as so dangerous, chaotic and ugly, but for some it is such an amazing and beautiful time. PLEASE understand, I'm not bragging or saying that I am better than anyone else. It is just a matter of understanding or as my friend in the earlier post said, about faith...

How you see the world around you, it becomes. So if you see the world as a dark ugly place, then it is...

However, if you see your reality as an amazing adventure to be "played", it will be that instead.

Sound silly, delusional or naive right? You decide, but it makes me very happy. How can that be wrong?

edit on 24-1-2013 by Wanderer112358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
A wonderful thread, and extremely insightful. At least you live that which you speak. I envy you. Wanderlust is my thing. "Not all who wander are lost"
Haters will hate and complain no matter what.
You could live in a sticks and bricks and still be on welfare due to lack of employment. Then you lose the roof over your head, and it's YOUR FAULT???
Really people, in this economy, get over yourself.
Some know how to shed the chains of society and they should be praised for it, not criticized.
We were far better off living nomadic. There weren't "haves" snubbing noses at the "have nots".
You couldn't possible understand how having less makes you richer.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I'd freeze to death if I were homeless.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
A wonderful thread, and extremely insightful. At least you live that which you speak. I envy you. Wanderlust is my thing. "Not all who wander are lost"
Haters will hate and complain no matter what.
You could live in a sticks and bricks and still be on welfare due to lack of employment. Then you lose the roof over your head, and it's YOUR FAULT???
Really people, in this economy, get over yourself.
Some know how to shed the chains of society and they should be praised for it, not criticized.
We were far better off living nomadic. There weren't "haves" snubbing noses at the "have nots".
You couldn't possible understand how having less makes you richer.

Thank you for your beautiful post.

They only way that this prison society can be kept in control is to ridicule and to attack those that now are beginning to refuse to be part of such madness. The only answer that each person must ask themselves is, "Does this lifestyle make me happy?" I mean REALLY happy. Do you wake up with a smile on your face?

If not, then reconsider what is important to you. You don't need to live in a "van down by the river" to be happy. You just need to refuse to do what you know is wrong only because you are afraid to live another way. My path is not your path. Your peace is different for you.

Find some time to sit alone, stop the constant noise from your Ego/mind and ask your heart what is right for you. Then listen to what you are told. Then refuse to be afraid any longer.

You know what I am saying is the truth...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jack Squat
I'd freeze to death if I were homeless.

If you wish.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
Homelessness is only considered bad by those who do not understand what it is to be free.

People fear what they do not understand,people avoid or destroy what they fear.

Homelessness is freedom,slaves fear freedom,they fear making decisions for themselves,they need to be led.

I know from experience,I am not just expressing my useless opinion in this anonymous place.

Homeless=Free

Oh really? Can you assume the opposite of that and say that having a home = no freedom?

I don't consider being homeless bad.. I consider the people that beg for money in Philly saying they need to eat, then you give them a $1 and they go buy liquor or drugs or some other destructive item which is keeping them that way. Maybe its the lady in South Philly that asks everyone for money yet has a functioning cell phone.

Being a free spirit is not the same thing as being homeless. I know someone that rented out their home, rented an RV and drove around America for the summer...that's being a free spirit and is not anything close to being homeless.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Ive mixed with very wealthy and very poor. You know the wealthy have at times all sorts of problems, issues, crisis, fights with self/ with others, disease, lack of identity and so forth.

Wealth and posessions isnt the measure of a man.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Ive mixed with very wealthy and very poor. You know the wealthy have at times all sorts of problems, issues, crisis, fights with self/ with others, disease, lack of identity and so forth.

Wealth and posessions isnt the measure of a man.

You are very right. And neither is not having a home, missing teeth or having a dirty face. Both are my brothers or sisters.

Sounds corny or even naive right? It's ok to show compassion. To show compassion is not a sign of weakness as we are taught to believe. In fact, compassion is a sign of strength.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I'm just retiring from my job, not my life.

My wife and I have plans to do lots of things once I'm not bound to the office anymore.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I believe there is a Billionaire who has a grandaughter in the USA who chose to become homeless .

Take a look at this headline :

The homeless billionaire: Burger King boss doesn't own a house or even a watch (even though he's worth £1.5bn)
Nicolas Berggruen, 50, has £1.5billion fortune... he says
'Whatever I own is only temporary. It's our actions that have real value'
Like most nomads, Nicolas Berggruen travels light.
He doesn't own a house, car or even a watch and the few belongings he does have are carried around in a paper bag.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join