It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My neighbor had a home invasion last night

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
That is tragic. I don't have a gun, but I do have several stun guns, mace and knives hidden around my home. Never know what part of the house you might need them. I've got my bases covered, but a gun for me is out of the question. However, I fully support those that have them.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

it seemed so but when I read the last line, it seems to contradict the rest. darn internet....

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Are you in the south bay area of Cali? This almost exact same storyline happened a few days ago in my in-laws neighborhood. They live in a very nice neighborhood where nothing ever happens, then all of a sudden there's a home invasion. Very scary stuff but I've been saying since 2008 that as the Economy gets worse, we will see things like this happen more often...in fact I am surprised it hasn't been more often
edit on 1/25/2013 by AnonymousMoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
reply to post by Xtrozero

Wow......any updates on how she's doing? That's a lady that needs to get herself a gun, and learn how to use it! Those things tend to go in waves, so be very careful.

You are right; this is a very good reason for people to own guns!

Her son is staying with her for now. Her face is beat up and she is missing some hair as they pulled her around the house by her hair, but physically she will recover. It's a shame, she is/was a very out going older lady....not sure now though.

Glad to hear she will recover, and has someone that can be there with her! Can certainly imagine there being emotional effects from this incident. It would help if they can locate, and jail, those responsible. Personally, I would prefer someone else, that they tried this on, shot them.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer
Home invaders should never be rewarded with their lives intact. It should be a highly fatal line of work.

You believe this despite the vast majority of burglars being merely opportunistic thieves taking full advantage of the average home owner's poor security protocols?

I'd agree that the kind of person who'd enter a home forcibly and without concern for being heard doing so, knowing there were people inside, doesn't deserve consideration of their own personal circumstances, but to treat that kind of home invader the same as the one who has taken advantage of an open window in what they thought was an empty home, only to have the occupiers return mid-burglary, makes you sound like a vengeful, bloodthirsty moron.

The woman in the OP's story could have avoided her traumatic experience by having purchased a reasonable quality front door monitoring device, and having a pre-arranged system with neighbours whereby if any resident is alone when they get strangers at the door, they can set off an alarm and all neighbours would go out to their front porch to see what was going on. On the vast majority of occasions, anyone up to no good would be off and away, while making a mental note not to try robbing in that neighbourhood again, and all without a shot being fired, which, I accept, might not be as exciting as getting out your trusty firearm and having a shoot-out, but will do your karmic resonance a world of good, long term.

I can almost see how having a security monitoring device would go.....

Knock, Knock, Knock.......

Answer Door....."Who is it?"

Guy forces his way in...... "Mrs. Doe, this is ADT are you in need of service?"

Guy slits victims throat....... "Gurgle, Gurgle, Gurgle, really bloody gurgle......THUD!!!"

ADT voice: "Don't worry Mrs. Doe, help is on the way!"

Burglar (thinking to self) "Better make this quick, probably have about 5 minutes or so"

Burglar takes a few valuable looking items and leaves.....

10 minutes later the cavalry rides in to clean up the mess........ADT is about as valuable as LifeAlert is at preventing crime if the intruder has no compunctions about ending your life......just sayin'

I have no issues with someone making an intruder leave the easy way if a person has the jimmies to force thier way into a house.

edit on 25-1-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Sounds like a good reason to have a gun.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by PacificBlue

Did the people that broke in do something to her phone? If so that is kind of scary, so I hope it was just not working.

I don't think she has a land line, so most likely a cell phone, but if her house is like mine cell phones don't work inside...I have a land line just for my kids...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

No sane person would ever wish to harm another.

Thanks for the words..

I'm the nicest guy in the world...well until my family is threatened. With 28 years in the military and being in every conflict and war since 1980 I would not hesitate to protect my family or friends, and I happen to be very good at it if need be...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I have a second kyu grade in Tatsumi ryu batto jutsu samurai fighting art, and an excellent hand made blade. They will go out the door in bodybags if they so choose, one for each peice

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

Being an upscale neighborhood I'm really surprised how many people have zero security, or even a dog. I have a dog and top security system, and a trained family. I can look out and count 70% of my neighborhood not having anything. I'm not a 74 year old lady either..but I'm away at times doing security contracting in Afghanistan, so my family really needs to be on the ball too.

It's like the old saying... you don't need to be the fastest...just not the slowest. I use this mentality in home protection..there are so many other easy targets that my house is just not worth the risk.

edit on 26-1-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sitchin
i go to bed every night with my door unlocked with a sign on the door saying "do you feel lucky punk...well do ya "!
with a A4 size picture of my 3 pit bulls ...

A sign out front saying "smile you are on candid camera is a nice touch too. My outside lights are on timers, and the lights going to my front door are on motion detectors...all of he adds up to the bad guys picking a different place.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker
That is tragic. I don't have a gun, but I do have several stun guns, mace and knives hidden around my home. Never know what part of the house you might need them. I've got my bases covered, but a gun for me is out of the question. However, I fully support those that have them.

I guess it comes down to a person's capabilities..for me I can get by with a frying pan quite effectively, but my wife she going to use a 380 with a laser.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousMoose
Are you in the south bay area of Cali? This almost exact same storyline happened a few days ago in my in-laws neighborhood. They live in a very nice neighborhood where nothing ever happens, then all of a sudden there's a home invasion. Very scary stuff but I've been saying since 2008 that as the Economy gets worse, we will see things like this happen more often...in fact I am surprised it hasn't been more often
edit on 1/25/2013 by AnonymousMoose because: (no reason given)

No, near Vancouver Washington, but ya I think it will happen more. I think yesterday in Portland there was one and the bad guy shot the homeowner twice...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Arming yourself is cowardly. Learn a martial art and stop being so soft. Any cretin can point and shoot a gun.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
thats reallly sad to hear. Not to long ago my sister neighbor had one as well by 2 guys, there was a kid left alone
for some reason, he got shot, he survived, and the robbers got caught later on. My sister is armed to the teeth though, they're in a more deserted area, where police would take a LONG TIME to arrive, you have to police
your own area. Lot of people have their own surveillance system. Glad im in the city area, really close to the police. I dont think I could shoot someone. Maybe taser+mace their dumbass and give them a good beating instead.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

Dream on tough guy.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
My cousin lives in a bad area of Detroit. 3 dudes broke into his house one night while he was sleeping. Little did they know he sleeps with a 357 next to his bed and was waiting for them. When one of them opened the bedroom door my cousin shot him in the chest. My cousin was never charged with a crime. The brothers in the neighborhood didn't take to kindly to their friend being killed. They started harassing my cousin by breaking the windows out on his car and eventually killing his dog. He ended up moving out.

I live 2 blocks from the Detroit city limit. I'm disabled and have schizophrenia. I have to walk places a lot of the time. Currently my truck isn't running and I can't afford to fix it. I would like to have a hand gun and a CCW permit to carry but the second amendment do apply to me. Apparently the government thinks all people with mental illness are potential murderers. I have a neighbor is mentally challenged he don't own a car he relies on his bicycle. He was beat up and they stole his bike from him last summer.

I have a couple of hunting shotguns and riffles but I can't conceal and carry them around with me for protection. I'm 37 and been around guns my entire life. I've been hunting since I was 13. I might be crazy but I'm not stupid nor am I a murderer.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by Manhater

I'm 49 years old. I grew up being able to leave my house, and my parents never worried about abductions, child molesters and those types of things.... I did with my son in the 80's and 90's, and now with my grand daughter - I won't let her go anywhere by herself - even in walmart - and she's 10 years old.

Now, you can't even feel safe in your own home, with the home invasions. I'm armed and don't ever answer the door unless I know who it is.

This is what our country has become.

Which just goes to show the power of media. All of those crimes are way down on a per capita basis. America has seen significant drops in crime over the last seventeen years. Yet, people are more scared than ever.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207
Arming yourself is cowardly. Learn a martial art and stop being so soft. Any cretin can point and shoot a gun.

The elderly and disabled do not generally make good ninja warriors

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207

The lady was 74.... Are you about 16? Where I come from, in the real world, a person takes EVERY advantage they can in a fight. This is not you punch me in the shoulder and then I punch you in the shoulder like on some play ground, this is reality, and in that true reality there is nothing called a fair fight. It's called extreme advantage when you can, or at least equal force when the bad guy tries to have the extreme advantage.

I truly do not get your post at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join