It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My neighbor had a home invasion last night

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
There are other ways to protect yourself than having to kill people.

In many cases, you may regret killing someone..

There is UDAP Bear Spray for example.. some serious sh#t!

www.udap.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

This home invasion is on the rise.

So...as thisguyrighthere says...dont answer your door.
Have your defense ready. You know what I am saying....
Keep your phones charged, and dont hesitate
to call 9/11 if someone is knocking on your door after dark.

Someone knocks late into the evening and needs directions...
well tell them to get lost!

Dont imagine you are safe due to the fact that you live in a prestigious
area, or that your rural, or that your in a well light suburban area.
Forget that!

They will appeal to your kind nature, and ask for help

Dont fall for it.

edit on 25-1-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The sad reality of the times we find ourselves living in. Home invasions will only get more frequent and more violent as the time rolls by. Upscale or down trodden, it matters not anymore. Where I live it happens at least once to twice a week. Most times in the lower end areas of the city/county.

I was a victim of a home invasion myself and I can tell you it happens fast, How fast? Most times the home owner has no time to react. Or by the use of over whelming numbers. It's sad, it's a growing problem in America.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I feel for those that don’t have any means of self protection, I hope someone in that position would considers getting something for personal protection… if nothing else, a medium sized dog would do the trick.
edit on 1/25/2013 by Shdak because: word removal

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by nOraKat
There are other ways to protect yourself than having to kill people.

In many cases, you may regret killing someone..

There is UDAP Bear Spray for example.. some serious sh#t!

www.udap.com...

Fun fact: In many states having bear spray or any pepper spray is just as serious a crime as having a gun and in a few special states, like CT for example, it is actually against the law to posses such less-than-lethal devices

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

So what if they duct tape a woman, beat her and rob her?
Did I hear you right?
I just want to know who starred your post - being a victim is a good thing......??!!??
If someone did that to my mother I would have no remorse for putting 00buck holes in them.
They deserve every piece of lead they get.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

You're a forum moderator but can't understand basic sarcasm??
try reading the post in full next time maybe?

CTH

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I've been living in the woods for 19 years and have never had a thing stolen except a Border Collie and feed bucket that a former cop disappeared with at the last day of hunting season... I no longer let hunters on my property or give cops more than a second or two of my time... I did have people begin to approach my house a few times at night many years ago but they were met by my large friendly Doberman Pinscher that I'd protection trained and would go on alert with one softly spoken word into full attack mode on another yet was playful and gentle with small pets and children.. He'd bark in a certain way when a unknown car or person approached the house and wait until I'd come to the door to give them him the OK to let them reach the porch.. My present dogs are not the least bit intimidating but they bark at anyone they don't know and won't let them on the porch... We live at the end of a private road that only 4 families live on and anyone coming and going is noticed and asked about... They all shoot tight groups on paper targets that are visible to people as they are going up their driveways.. Wild hogs and an occasional rabid 'possum or raccoon is more of a problem here than the criminal element and no one is upset by the sound of gunshots....

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Just finishing my statement of earlier post. The armed career criminal that tried to invade my home...left in a bag in the back of an ambulance. The lights & sirens were'nt sounding. If your home is invaded.....If you are armed, do not hesitate to take action. That millisecond of indicision could cost you your life or one of your loved ones. The police, sheriff aint gonna get there in time. Your life, your decision.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
My giant Malamute Wolf hybrid is the early warning device in my household. He knows when anything is on the ranch that does not belong. My second line of defense is an absolute willingness to kill anyone that even thinks about entering my home with asking first....

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

This is exactly why we keep a nice, fat shillelagh next to the bed. You don't recover from one of those swings without a hospital. Even if it's a small woman who's doing the swinging.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
precisely why would like to see laws as they were under the tokugawa shogunate in japan pre-meiji .. there was only one penalty for crimes .. execution .. but in the modern world its frowned upon espiacially in the west... sorry to hear what happened to your neighbor .. sadly things are only going to get worse over there ..

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Are you sure it was Russians or just faked accents? That would be my first thought. Anyway, thank you for the u2u and for keeping up on this thread, i will be interested to find out how the Police actually handle this case or if it just falls by the wayside since your neighbor was not a high profile person. Also what did they steal all told? I do not remember if it was posted in the Op or not.

Also, I had a refresher course this winter on firearms and home security by a very trusted relative, we did that in a single evening with glasses of brandy in hand. It was a positive experience and the reminders of what to do were important. (Why that one poster doubted your security meeting with your wife in a single evening I do not know)

Anyway, wish I had a strong capable husband like you, your wife must feel very secure with you around and self sufficient when you are away.

Thinking of you all and wishing you the best.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nOraKat

No sane person would ever wish to harm another, but think about it, if they kill you then they are free to continue to harm others as well and you can bet they will if they think they can get away with it.

Also, things are changing, it is becoming more dangerous to simply think that because you are a gentle soul that others will respect you for that, they in fact will see you as weak and an easy target.

One more point and why I really replied to your post is to say that if by some stroke of luck like the woman in the OP does survive, they could always plan to return to kill you because they think you might identify them tot he authorities.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by Xtrozero

Methinks it's time to move out of that neighborhood!!!
No I am being very serious...get out of any area that is infected with these parasitic criminals, for your safety's sake!

It's Washougal Washington, around 14,000 people, upper class town. Usually, it's pretty safe. But crime happens everywhere, I don't think any community is immune to violence.

A gated community is if they don't advertise thier gates' lock pasword.

However, rich kids are sometimes criminals too, but for a different reason, to get their jollies.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuRising
reply to post by Asktheanimals

You're a forum moderator but can't understand basic sarcasm??
try reading the post in full next time maybe?

CTH

Your right, but I rather doubt I'm the only person here sometimes doesn't read the last line.
Like the people who actually starred my post. lol!
I got suckered in, it read exactly like what I can imagine some people would write.
All the same I did mess up.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
So late night my neighbor answered her door a 9 o'clock and two guy busted into her house. They beat her up, she is in her late 60s, duck tape her, dragged her around by her hair, and robbed her. After they left she was able to slip out of her coat that had all the duck tape on it, and go next store.

She was beat up pretty good, and the cops could not find anything... It was a good lesson for me and my family to be ready. I practiced with my wife tonight to get one of my guns aim it and shoot until I felt secured she had pretty good skill.

All of our debates about guns really came to a close for me in I see them as first line of defense. My neighbor didn't have a chance if her attackers wanted to do more than they did. This was a really in my face event as to why I'm armed, and showed me that we are about as safe as what two guys decide to do. I live in a very upscale neighborhood, one that you would never see this coming.
i think americans will be seeing more of this as the economy collapses further and the criminals think gun ownership is a thing of the past.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
OP, glad to hear your neighbor doesn't seem to have been seriously injured. This is a terrible thing for someone to go through, and the psychological impact alone can be immense. But at least she's alive to deal with that.

There have been some excellent home security ideas posted by many in this thread. I just want to stress that, with any security, it's useful to think in terms of layered defense. For example, a logical plan might include the following progressive layers:

1. Taking logical steps to avoid home invasion in the first place

This could include things like having an alarm system with notices of the alarm posted outside and/or having a big noisy dog. (Or a tiger. I like the tiger idea someone had, even if only for humor value.) This also includes acting logically to prevent home invasion, for example not opening the door to strangers and being sure you know who is at the door before you open it.

2. Trying to deter a home invasion if someone tries to force their way in despite #1.

For example, it can be useful for an alarm system to make lots of noise (if you have neighbors nearby) and to notify the alarm company or authorities when set off. Help won't arrive for awhile, but a loud alarm may scare someone off. Also, notifications to authorities will probably require a telephone line. In this case, it sounds like the intruders might have disabled the land line, making it difficult to call 911 for help or for an alarm system to notify someone remotely. Something simple like having a cell phone on you can be invaluable.

3. Having one or more weapons available if #1 and #2 above failed to prevent the home invasion

Things can escalate to immediate danger very quickly. The police are unlikely to be there in time if you blow steps #1 or #2 above or someone forces their way in anyway. As others noted, you need to apply this step logically. If a typical little old lady opens the door with a gun (or other weapon) and there are two big guys right in front of her, they may get control of the weapon. If someone breaks out a patio door and comes in and she is hiding across the room with a gun, she's a lot more likely to be able to use the weapon. Don't underestimate how quickly an attacker can close distance. They generally make police officers watch the video "Surviving Edged Weapons," which proves that a determined attacker with a knife can consistently cross 21 feet and kill a trained police officer before the officer can draw, aim, and fire.

4. If #1-3 all fail, it's a wise idea to be able to take care of yourself without a weapon or with anything at hand that could be used as a weapon.

If a home invader is suddenly inside your home with no time for you to get a weapon or call police, you're on your own with nothing but your wits, your body, and anything around you that you can use in the situation. Martial arts training is useful here, but don't ignore anything in the environment that could give you an edge. One friend of mine hid just inside an inner room door and grabbed the nearest club-like object in the room. When the home invader came through the doorway, my friend hit him as hard as he could. The invader managed to get up and run away, but my friend was safe and he called police. In some cases, such as a little old lady who may not have the ability to fight off two younger attackers, just hiding really well might be a good strategy, especially if they don't know she is inside.

Hope this helps someone...

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by GeisterFahrer

Agreed!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
i go to bed every night with my door unlocked with a sign on the door saying "do you feel lucky punk...well do ya "!
with a A4 size picture of my 3 pit bulls ...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join