It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My neighbor had a home invasion last night

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSquare

So why didn't you keep an eye on your neighbour? social control is key imo

Actually I do that a lot..I'm watching my kids and others too, and I smoke cigars outside at night..watching. That night it was 29 degrees and 40 knot winds...many other nights and I would have seen it all.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Get a St. Bernard, a Great Pyrenees, or one huge mean Rottweiler, if you have one those dogs they sure in heck won't go near the door. When I had my St. Bernard, he froze officers in their place when chasing suspects.
If he can scare the officers (enough to make them pull out a gun), then I'm quite sure one of those dogs can scare the robbers.

edit on 24-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by vampira309
reply to post by Perhaps

This is the link to info about a home invasion that happened in my area....likely the one the OP is referencing. (At least I HOPE this is it - terrible to think of this happening frequently)

That cop car just might be in my driveway...glad at least they left it out of the picture...lol

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Liked the interview you gave the newscaster. Your now officially an ATS star.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

After dark, I answer the door with a firearm, all the time. If the person outside the door doesn't like it, and it has happened before, I tell them "Then don't come to my door".

I don't open the door if it is a stranger, but you need to climb two flights of stairs to get to my front door so it is out of the way and there is no way someone whould end up there by accident. Im 6'5" and about 270 so I'm not too worried about an home envasion with me there.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Methinks it's time to move out of that neighborhood!!!
No I am being very serious...get out of any area that is infected with these parasitic criminals, for your safety's sake!

I think it is everywhere if it is here...very nice neiborhood... but bad people do travel.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Give your little neighbor a big hug for me and take her something special like a homemade pie or something. Let her know that you will find a way to keep this from happening again and let her to remember she is a strong survivor and must have done something right or it could have been so much worse.

Thanks will do...we have an extremely active HOA and I bet at the next meeting this all will come up.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I am curious...what are you doing to help her?

My wife and three others have been with her, and her son been there...

I tell all my neighbors that they can come to my house or call me at anytime, but typically in this type of area and with NW winter we tend to keep to ourselves until it gets nicer outside. I do agree with other posters her big mistake was to open the door.....not much she or any of us can do in that situation, unless we see it happen. They just might have tried to break the door in too. I have little faith in front doors, unless it is an all steel one you might find in a big city area.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perhaps

Xtrozero, please accept my apologies for unjustifiably doubting the credibility of your OP - lesson learnt on my part.

This post

Cheers.

NP

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

The question is, would your neighbor have answered the door armed if she did have a gun in the house? Sounds like the thugs jumped her as soon as she opened the door. Granted, if someone else was in the house they might have had time to run and get a gun, but what if they got to them before they reached the place where the gun is stored?

No she would have been screwed as soon as she opened the door...the gun would only be if they tried to force a break-in in the case she didn't open the door. In that case a gun would be extremely useful.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FirstCasualty
Its a good thing the robbers were not armed

She could be dead...

Thanks OP this story is a good example of why all fire arms should be strictly kept from the public.

Wow, you are so right, there are no other way to kill someone without a gun...BTW why would they use a noisy gun and alert the neighborhood?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Russians, hey?

You would be surprised on how far the Russian Mob in the States operates.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Must be a new trend that their starting.

There are a lot of Russians up in the NW, but ya I thought it was strange.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

And no one heard her scream for help ? or did they and do what most people do and not bother to get involved.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave

And no one heard her scream for help ? or did they and do what most people do and not bother to get involved.

High wind, big houses...no chance, plus they rapped duck tape around her head very quickly after they punched her in the face a few times...I don't think she made hardly any noise.

edit on 24-1-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

IF they are armed and you are not then the weapon (assuming a decent calibre firearm and not a swiss army knife) would be an "equalizer" and you should be concerned. Otherwise they deserve the beating that I am sure you would give them!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Methinks it's time to move out of that neighborhood!!!
No I am being very serious...get out of any area that is infected with these parasitic criminals, for your safety's sake!

It's Washougal Washington, around 14,000 people, upper class town. Usually, it's pretty safe. But crime happens everywhere, I don't think any community is immune to violence.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer
Home invaders should never be rewarded with their lives intact. It should be a highly fatal line of work.

You believe this despite the vast majority of burglars being merely opportunistic thieves taking full advantage of the average home owner's poor security protocols?

I'd agree that the kind of person who'd enter a home forcibly and without concern for being heard doing so, knowing there were people inside, doesn't deserve consideration of their own personal circumstances, but to treat that kind of home invader the same as the one who has taken advantage of an open window in what they thought was an empty home, only to have the occupiers return mid-burglary, makes you sound like a vengeful, bloodthirsty moron.

The woman in the OP's story could have avoided her traumatic experience by having purchased a reasonable quality front door monitoring device, and having a pre-arranged system with neighbours whereby if any resident is alone when they get strangers at the door, they can set off an alarm and all neighbours would go out to their front porch to see what was going on. On the vast majority of occasions, anyone up to no good would be off and away, while making a mental note not to try robbing in that neighbourhood again, and all without a shot being fired, which, I accept, might not be as exciting as getting out your trusty firearm and having a shoot-out, but will do your karmic resonance a world of good, long term.

I have no problem dispatching a home invader. It is NEVER the victim's fault for being a victim (as you have implied by stating she should have had better monitor devices). It is always the criminal's fault.

I am sorry, but I would not be concerned about "what kind" of criminal the home invader is or not. I would make sure that me and mine do not become victims, and there is only one 100% way of assuring that.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

That is very kind of you and your family and I hope that your neighbor will be alright. I could not imagine what that must have been like.

I noticed this in the article-

She realized her phone wasn't working and ran next door and asked her neighbor to call 911.

Link

Did the people that broke in do something to her phone? If so that is kind of scary, so I hope it was just not working.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
While no one should have to live in fear. home invasion / theft is as common as going to the store.
I wont condone guns, because i live in australia we arent allowed to have them, But if i had one, and someone was in my home, Yes i would shoot them.
Someone once told me, Shoot them in the head, then shoot into the roof, and when asked by police.. you shot the roof in warning, and they kept coming so you shot them.

Ultimately tho, its really a case of home security, and this poor lady simply didnt employ a safety practice.. Tho im sure if these two guys really wanted in, they would of found some way to kick down the door if they could.

People need security screens on their doors, and particularly in america, they need strong deadbolted doors with a camera system so they can clearly see who is at the door, and as an added bonus.. have a Instant police alarm system right beside the door so they can press it straight away if necessary.

Of course we could be overkill and secure the whole home, but how much do we want to spend, and how much do we want to live in fear.

I have been a victim of break ins a couple of times. some while asleep, some while away from the house. never any actual altercations tho. but it leaves you feeling unsafe. so now i ensure the house is fully locked up, all windows closed, and that our neighbours know.

People are pretty creative when it comes to thefts though. Kids in particular lately are a common offender. they will stake out your street *innocently* playing, but knowing when you are or arent there...
in one instance, we was sitting in the lounge. this particularly young kid who i had been keeping eye on anyway *lives around the corner* is walking down the street.. stops.. comes up to door.
"excuse me, umm i was wondering if you could give me a lift home" where do you live i asked.... "err i dunno i forgot" well then how am i suppose to give you a lift.. dont be stupid.. go away.
in a poor attempt to get us away from the house so his *friends* can sneak in and take stuff....

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join