It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist seeks surrogate mother for Neanderthal baby

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by skitzspiricy

That's an incredibly optimistic view you have there but unfortunately not one that is based in reality.

To believe incredible benevolence doesn't exist in reality is not based in reality.

There is so much wrong with our world. But ignoring the good in it is a part of what's wrong.

Of course there are those that would want to put "it" in a cage.

There are others that would fight for his or her equal worth.

I believe with the amount of media attention he/she would receive, and the likely scenario of a "normal" human child developing, a strong support for his/her rights would lead to said person being protected under Law.

Perhaps that's also too optimistic for you, but be damned sure there would be people fighting for equality. Myself among the ranks.

My friend, i truely believe we wouldn't be told if they tried, and if we were to be told, it would be after many failed attempts and way into a good few years of a successful subjects life.

It's hard to fight equality for something that doesn't exist to all but a select few.

edit on 21-1-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

What if we were wiped out due to natural disaster

Well we are on the level of technology that natural disasters are or could be reflected from our extinction.
That's what I think.. And speaking of natural disaster look at the world are we not that natural disaster..? In many ways?

edit on 22-1-2013 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Excellent post!

I think also think that the souther climate that homo sapien lived in benefited him. While Neanderthal had a strong selection pressure to out compete prey, it may not have been enough.

I agree. If climate change was occurring it could disrupt the movement/availability of game. Because of their environment they may have been isolated from the beneficial influence of outsiders. Domestication of animals might have saved them.

It's possible Neanderthal had a higher need for protein, calories and fat. If that's true a drastic change in their diet would effect their overall health pretty quickly. Birth rates would decline and disease/infection would be harder to resist. They could've faded away in a generation or two.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
I mentioned bring back Ancient Sumerians earlier on but I'm now thinking maybe bring back the Pharoahs could be a better option or bring both back...

Whats the name of that Trilogy of Films??

Anyway as long as they didn't behave like in those Films but actually gave us answers to the Questions we;ve been asking then i'd be all for it....

Do you really think that ancient human would be any different to people today. By the looks of them they in the more average range of human.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Sounds interesting, someone will def. take the offer. It will make them famous, and it's for science. What I don't like is that most likely this will be a monkey in a cage. I hope I'm wrong but hopefully they treat it with all the respect of a normal child.
edit on 21-1-2013 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I believe this cannot happen as we are nowhere near related. Here is a video that can explain why. For the purpose of this thread, you need only watch the first 25 minutes or so, though I recommend you watch the whole thing as it covers so much more.

It is my belief that one should take in all the information available with an open mind, process that information, and draw your own conclusion based on cognitive reasoning. Then one should share with others, while considering other ideas and try to reach a joint conclusion.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ajay59

I believe this cannot happen as we are nowhere near related.

Sorry mate, but you're wrong, we are related.

We, that means you, me and just about everyone else on this planet share DNA with Neandethals...between 1% and 5%, but it's there...so we are related and we have interbred...we're hybrids dontyaknow!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I suppose that the religious people will say they are trying to bring Satan to life. It is possible that some may have considered another humanoid species as evil a long time ago. We still have an innate sense of racism towards others that are not of our kind. I think that this may have been a problem when humans and neanderthals coexisted also. I think humans killed them off and shunned interracial children from societies. This is a very plausable theory because it is evident in humans today.

Survival of the most ruthless seems to be a human trait.
edit on 21-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Same is true in a lot of species...ants come to mind.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I am not against human experimentation. I am against it being against the well informed consent of the individual.

If a woman volunteers for this, then let it happen. I think if we want to unlock our past, this might be a key step.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

you'd be asking for trouble with psychological problems down the line. "he's a man, not a specimen"

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I think if we want to unlock our past, this might be a key step.

why? we have the dna we don't need the live specimen to read it's past

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

you'd be asking for trouble with psychological problems down the line.

Again....a similar reply....

is that not something we all share?

You're trying to pin the woes of psychology and existentialism onto this hypothetical neanderthal as if modern humans have conquered these things. We haven't. If those concerns, and those alone, are valid enough reason to abort, I don't see why it wouldn't be extended to any baby.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
reply to post by ajay59

I believe this cannot happen as we are nowhere near related.

Sorry mate, but you're wrong, we are related.

We, that means you, me and just about everyone else on this planet share DNA with Neandethals...between 1% and 5%, but it's there...so we are related and we have interbred...we're hybrids dontyaknow!

If you really want to get technical and break it down into little bits, we are just as related to rocks. Everything conceivable is made up of the same stuff. Watch the video, or at least the first 25 minutes.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Can't we just defrost one?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

you'd be asking for trouble with psychological problems down the line. "he's a man, not a specimen"

You are spot on.

What would we do with a psychotic Neanderthal? If they have different brain/body chemistry our drugs may not work well enough on them. It could go horribly wrong in so many ways.

We don't know enough about our own brain/behavior to responsibly provide for the psychological needs of Neanderthal.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Having heard about this and then read the article, and the posts the following can be stated:

This is a good and a bad idea. The reason why it is a good idea, as it would answer many questions about the biology of what would be considered the ancient ancestor of the Human race. It is a marvel in technology and amazement of the wonders that it can accomplish.

But it is a bad idea, as now we get into the questions of how human was the nethandral man, and as was pointed out, this is going to be a very lonely creature. We can only guess about what the intelligent level and even what this kind of creature would look like or act. It died out, so what is to stop this from occuring again? And then what is next, cro magnum man? How far do we go till it crosses a line that should not be crossed?

While we have the ability to do such, playing god, the question should be, are we wise enough to hold this responsibility in our hands to do such? Nature eliminated these neanderthals, where there is no living pure such around, seperating modern humans from this off shoot and branch. If it is indeed close to human, then it would and should have rights, to include not to be experimented on.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

What would we do with a psychotic Neanderthal?

In the spirit of equality....

If this psychosis manifests in ways that harms others, apply the same repercussions we 'normies' face. It's not a crime to have psychosis. At least here in the States where Harvard is.

Saying the neanderthal will be psychotic is unfounded.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morningglory
reply to post by violet

I imagine they were products of their environment. Aggression/dominance is vital to survival but submissiveness is just as important when living within a group.

Think alpha male/female. Not everyone is suited to be the pack leader. Neanderthal was probably as diverse in nature as modern humans. That diversity probably served them well. The most aggressive hunted/defended/bred the less aggressive most likely played a vital role as well.

You have a point.

Aren't they half human, half Ape though?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

In other words they aren't suited for the 21st Century.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join