It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist seeks surrogate mother for Neanderthal baby

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I don't think that the child would be considered a freak, because that child could easily beat up or eat any child stupid enough to try and pick on them.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

So any takers?
Before saying yes please look at the differences between Human and neanderthal birth canals.

I was kinda on the fence as to whether this is Cool or evil but then I read this from the article

"Let's say someone has a healthy, normal Neanderthal baby," he told Bloomberg Businessweek last year. "Well, then, everyone will want to have a Neanderthal kid.

Wrong, just plain wrong

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20/1/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

I agree

This is just a fun science project for them, with no concern for the child's well being as he or she grows up. Its cruel an unethical

Become a " craze"??

But despite the potential birthing difficulties, Professor Church said Neanderthal children could be very intelligent and may become a craze.

"Let's say someone has a healthy, normal Neanderthal baby," he told Bloomberg Businessweek last year. "Well, then, everyone will want to have a Neanderthal kid. "Were they superstrong or supersmart? Who knows. "But there's one way to find out."

Anyways I wouldn't lend my body out for that.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Originally posted by HopSkipJump
I'm not an extremist religious fanatic or anything, but did the term "Anti-Christ" cross anyone's mind?

No.

Spooky legends and fairy tales have no place in the rational scientific mind.

Psychology is still a science and with today's mentality and psychological makeup, you know it's going to be said. It should be addressed in some way by those planning to do it to prevent the backlash that will result when the religious fanatics go off on that tangent.

It's the job of those undertaking such a quest to know what they will be facing as a result. There will be a lot of bible-belt Americans who will scream at the top of their voices, garner any media attention available and not listen to anything that even remotely resembles that "dirty word" SCIENCE. You and I both know this.

I'm literally surrounded by those people in my area, I know how they are going to react to things because they saturate my daily life. They have to be accounted for in any decision and steps have to be taken to address what they are going to be up in arms about or it will crash and burn.

edit on 21-1-2013 by HopSkipJump because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

You couldn't pay me enough.

That is just gross and inhumane

Purely as a hypothetical the payment was infinite money for you and all future descendants, would you consider it now?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
reply to post by Klassified

I don't think that the child would be considered a freak, because that child could easily beat up or eat any child stupid enough to try and pick on them.

Just because you can beat somebody up doesn't mean it would stop any bullying, rude remarks or staring.

People that look different are treated as different. The child would know he or she isn't the same as others whether they are told that or not. That's not ok.

There could be health complications, possible deformities.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet

Just because you can beat somebody up doesn't mean it would stop any bullying, rude remarks or staring.

People that look different are treated as different. The child would know he or she isn't the same as others whether they are told that or not. That's not ok.

There could be health complications, possible deformities.

The differences would actually be minute and the child would most likely blend in without any major issues. The only differences would be the biological study and brain studies. The child would look physically like any other child with the diversity we have and would blend in easily. It may not be the most "attractive" child in our eyes, but would blend in.

ETA: They won't have the child dress as a "caveman" nor will it be without the same grooming and clothing as any other child today.
edit on 21-1-2013 by HopSkipJump because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I say, why not do it? We could learn a lot from this creature. I think science knows a lot less about these things than they think they do. What better way to find out than make one.

I do have a question for people on here who have been posting that the Neanderthal was more intelligent than humans. How do you know? I mean, a larger brain doesn't necessarily mean anything. An elephant's brain is pretty big compared to mine, but I would like to think I am smarter than an elephant. Do we have an actual neanderthal brain where it has actually been studied? Or are scientists just assuming that these creatures have all the same lobes as our brains and then inferring that their larger lobed brains must me more intelligent than our own? Please, no need to be curt in your responses. I am asking a genuine question here.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
They just want to create a sub-species to use them. Save humanity they say.

For all we know the real plan is to amass armies of them to control us. Bet they're allowed guns

Prof George Church of Harvard Medical School believes that he can reconstruct Neanderthal DNA, and is seeking a volunteer have the "neo-Neanderthal" embryo implanted into her uterus.

Church believes that a new race of human could be beneficial if we end up facing an apocalypse at some point, so the lending of your womb could potentially save humanity.

Or at the very least produce a subspecies that would be good at heavy lifting and killing the DNA-reconstructed mammoths we will inevitably recreate as well.

The guardian
edit on 21-1-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It's also not based on science. Danny Vendramini is NOT a scientist. He's a theatre and film director and scriptwriter. His dash with evolutionary theory is part of the show.

Neanderthal is virtually identical to modern humans and in fact evidence suggests they were smarter than us since the natural pressures in their world were so much higher than they're today.

There's a stereotype among non-scientists that Neanderthal was a dumb hairy thug. But it's just not true. Now some modern humans are dumb hairy thugs, but Neanderthal definitely wasn't.
edit on 21-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I thought brain size comparison was to do with brain size to body mass/size?

One worry for me is what if Neanderthal was far more of an aggresive species than Human, they were upto 6 times stronder on average, could the baby end up being locked up as it grows into adulthood for the rest of his/her life unable to show compasion. When chimps are kept as pets when they enter there teens, they get aggresive and are a lot harder to control. Could the Neanderthal be smater and more aggresive than us.

edit on 21-1-2013 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

For all we know the real plan is to amass armies of them to control us. Bet they're allowed guns

Do guns really need to be brought into every single topic.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by HopSkipJump

You can groom the child all you want, it doesn't change who the person is underneath the clothing. The changing rooms at school, sleepovers with friends, going to the beach or swimming, dating. Just to mention a few reasons.

Are you not aware of how society dictates how people should look?
This is particularly difficult for females.
Its very hard for anyone who looks or feels different, just as I said.
That's a fact that should not be overlooked.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Oh great the military will love this!
they will use them as solders.

will they take over the earth?
are they like klingons?

and yes the crazy religious nuts will kill them.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Evidence seems to show that Neanderthal children matured much faster than modern humans. They were also stronger. Maybe this is related to the greater amount of meat in their diet. One must also consider that their brain cavity was larger than modern humans. They were not dumb.

A 5'6 Neanderthal would weigh about 170 pounds.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Great They will have new SLAVES.
as they are not human and have no rights.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrome413
I do have a question for people on here who have been posting that the Neanderthal was more intelligent than humans. How do you know?

We simply don't know enough to say either way. Evidence shows they were more like us than not. Imo their environment/shorter lifespan must have hindered their ability to advance to a higher level.

Animals can depend on instinct but it takes intelligence for humans to survive. It's possible Neanderthal's intelligence was a bit different but that doesn't mean it was inferior.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This suggests they were high on steroids but didn't suffer from it like body builders do:
news.discovery.com - Neanderthal Males Had Popeye-Like Arms...

The fossil displays an unusual mixture of thickened walls with narrow bone marrow region cavities. This, according to the scientists, suggests "intense mineralization" provided for the strong, sturdy bone structure, with the inner narrowness "based on a stronger shaft architecture requiring much less mineralization."

The mixture is puzzling, because "Neanderthals demonstrate a markedly androgenic constitution," meaning they seemed to have a lot of steroids, yet these same hormones can cause reduced mineralization.

As a result, the researchers say "Neanderthals were characterized not only by peculiar biomechanical adaptations, but also by a specific hormonal condition which has no close parallels among modern human hormonal conditions either normal or pathological."

This condition might have evolved as a result of inherited genes, life in an often cold, northern climate, and an almost all-meat diet.

What's interesting is Neanderthal didn't use bows. They used spears. They ddin't throw them so much. They actually got involved in close combat by stabbing and piercing their prey:

Instead of shooting prey, such as mammoths, with a bow and arrow from a distance, Neanderthal males would engage in face-to-face contact, jabbing long, thick spears directly into the animal's flesh.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

reply to post by HopSkipJump

You can groom the child all you want, it doesn't change who the person is underneath the clothing. The changing rooms at school, sleepovers with friends, going to the beach or swimming, dating. Just to mention a few reasons.

Are you not aware of how society dictates how people should look?
This is particularly difficult for females.
Its very hard for anyone who looks or feels different, just as I said.
That's a fact that should not be overlooked.

They don't have three penises and 5 vaginas. They don't have 12 toes on one foot. They are basically the same physically as HomoSapiens are. They may have a different amount of body hair but have you seen a pure italian male? They would look no different physically than the people around them. There wouldn't be embarassment in changing rooms, sleepovers, the beach or dating. They would not stand out like a sore thumb, they would blend right in. They wouldn't look like giant gorillas, they would look like any other human out there.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
In the far past some race built the pyramids and many other things.
Neanderthal may have been that race.

if so and we bring them back.
they will slowly take over.
as WE are to stupid to work together.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
the volunteer whoever she may be should find out if she'll be able to raise the child as her own with minimal interference from the lab.

we already have ppl in the world that look like neanderthals so it might not be that strange depending on how much closer it is to humanlike than neanderthal like.

kids at public schools can be very cruel. the guy would have a really tough life. who knows how it would end. interesting nonetheless that these scientists are even being allowed to do something like this.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join