It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the outrage? Truth about 'fake' foods; Russia bans U.S. meat

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
... And to provide some perspective on a traditional way of meat here, I am putting a "safe" image of how meat is divided here when a cow is slaughtered/butchered for a community event.

The cow's insides are cooked at the party (intestines, grass inside intestines, lungs, etc.), and then the meat of the cow (like in the picture) is skewered through the bamboo looking stick with the knot on the end (so the meat does not fall off.) The meat is given to everyone who attends the party so they can enjoy it at home with their family.

Just some info =)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hello everyone I am very interested in this thread and any suggestions how to go from dealing with Trader Joe's to finding the elusive good meats"" I am a very avid spender at trader joe's but their products are filled with soy and not organic as claimed !! I would enjoy discussing any other choices on here as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Tha Girl They Call Roc

Sounds great. If meat grown in a petri dish or test tubes can only be made in slices or small chunks, the meat glue can be used to make steaks.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I have been working at McDonalds a couple of years (in The Netherlands), and we don't have a McRibb but I have sworn off every sort of fastfood since. It has nothing to do with food, these things can lay perfectly good on a plate for a couple of months and you would say that you've just got it. It doesn't rot, at least not the way nature should.

Just this week a manager told me we can't advertise with the 100% beef story anymore, I'm guessing (knowing) that that is because it isn't 100%. But stopping with advertising obviously isn't going to notify the public about this fact.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I don't like the wet aging method, Our beef is done the old fashioned way. It's hung at the slaughter house for two to three weeks.
Can't beat the taste, tastes like the meat I ate as a kid, meat that was available everywhere in the stores. The beef didn't need to be grassfed to be good those days, most of the cows got very little grain back in the sixties. Noone would have even eaten this crap back then, they would have boycotted the store. We have been conditioned to eat toxic waste. Boy are people fools. On top of everything else the government allows bad chemicals in organic meat and food that is toxic, the organic counterpart of the chemicals used commercially. Buy local and support your local farmer. Don't buy food that looks too good to be real. If beets are a week old, the greens would be all wilted. It takes over a week to get to market.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This is nothing new that McDonalds is bad for you and no one is being tied down and forced to eat this. Most people don't care what is in their burger from a fast food restaurant. EVERYONE knows fast food is not good for you. However, for most people it tastes good and that is all that matters. For example, look at hotdogs. Even kids hear the rumors of what they are made out of, but do we still eat and love them? yes

One should know better by now, if they want to eat this then that is their choice. Should the government really step up and say oh no you can't eat this. Would more regulations help you sleep at night?

Ignorance is bliss. Maybe we're better off not knowing about this stuff like all the chemicals, pink slime, meat glue, etc.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn
Only a few will be outraged by this because only a few people can afford to eat organic. Damned if we do something about it and many people can't afford to eat meat, and damned if we don't and most of us end up with health risks.

Hog wash... Most can afford to eat organic.

Most family's can afford to eat organic but they would rather spend the extra money on frivolous things they dont really need. My single mom did it on a hair stylist salary raising 2 kids on her own. The way I see it, in the end my body is all I have.

Most people are not educated on the topic. Think about this... If we learned about food in school the same way we learned about "global warming" then the industry would change drastically. It seems in order to get people to understand the dangers of something we have to scare the # out of them because they grew up over stimulated watching the TV. These people have seen bullets fly into peoples heads, swards chopping body's in half, explosions of mass death ect....
When you remember a TV show do you remember laying down on the couch with a remote in your hand, the walls and table the tv is sitting on? NO You remember just the TV show as if you wear experiencing it your self.
Tv is the most powerful weapon on the planet. It makes it so we are ONLY susceptible to over stimulated brain wash. When we are only susceptible to over stimulation then the people control that over stimulation can tell us what ever they please. Its ok Govt is here to protect you, your food is not poisoned its more delicious then ever. TV is what has made all this possible.

You can afford organic...
Just dont buy the most expensive organic produce. Grocery stores all ways have sales.
Its your body for God sakes, what you put inside of it really does effect who you are. If you put food laced with chemicals and pharmaceuticals witch are MADE TO SLOW YOU DOWN then your perception of reality will not be true.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
If you are actually interested in health, you would stay away from meat and dairy altogether. Even eating organic, free-range livestock is directly linked to a laundry list of diseases, including the top killer in the USA, heart disease, as well as diabetes and a long list of cancers. There is an especially strong link between dairy and breast cancer in women.

It's certainly healthier to eat cleaner meat, but the meat itself is probably doing just as much damage. If this is news to you, I suggest reading The China Study.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn
Only a few will be outraged by this because only a few people can afford to eat organic. Damned if we do something about it and many people can't afford to eat meat, and damned if we don't and most of us end up with health risks.

I believe this (high cost of organic foods) to be a myth in application and often used as an excuse not to start eating better.

Over the course of the last twenty years I have switched to a nearly all organic, grassfed, free range and raw(ish) diet. Over the same twenty years my income (household) has decreased considerably as well. What I have found is 1) I eat all the food I purchase - very little goes to waste and 2) I don't need or want to eat as much because I get the nutrisition my body needs from the food. I have found organic very cost effective.

In fact the more tight my budget the better I eat simply because I've no health insurance and can't afford to get sick, I need the nutritional value of REAL food and I do include some very important supplements as well.

Cost is just an excuse. Start with those items that are the worst (fakest, GMO) offenders - like corn. Eat only organic corn. You won't let that expensive organic corn go to waste and you'll appreciate it all the more - it may not be as pretty - but it'll taste better. And go from there ...

A note about orgainc grass fed beef. It tastes different than corn (GMO) fed beef and takes a bit of getting used to. Same with raw milk. But once you make the chance - you'll never go back.

Just being aware of what is in processed and factory farmed food is a good beginning and don't forget that food is irradiated as well without consumer labeling. Any spice that isn't organic has been irradiated by ionizing radiation to 'preserve' the product. Keep that in mind the next time you choose spices, the cost doesn't seem so bad when you look at YOUR future costs in health and well-being.

Start looking at food differently and it can change your whole life - slowly and forever.

Great Thread OP.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by condition9
Hello everyone I am very interested in this thread and any suggestions how to go from dealing with Trader Joe's to finding the elusive good meats"" I am a very avid spender at trader joe's but their products are filled with soy and not organic as claimed !! I would enjoy discussing any other choices on here as well.

Actually Trader Joe's carries (here in Los Angeles anyway - we're batsh*t crazy here or so we are told) orgainc ground beef and I think it comes from overseas (Australia, South American) where there is less factory farming so you might start there. You can order excellent Grass-Fed, Organic, yadda yadda meats on line and have them shipped but it is expensive (shipping adds a lot - cold packed and over-night).

Whole Foods (the wankers) don't carry much - even stopped carrying Raw Milk and I don't often shop there any more.

It really depends on where you are. Look for CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture) and co-ops.

This really is a life long study - and an area of Activism for both the left and the right. Food Freedom, I hope, will bring us all together.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Is it still safe to eat Burger King?

That's all I want to know.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
If you are actually interested in health, you would stay away from meat and dairy altogether. Even eating organic, free-range livestock is directly linked to a laundry list of diseases, including the top killer in the USA, heart disease, as well as diabetes and a long list of cancers. There is an especially strong link between dairy and breast cancer in women.

It's certainly healthier to eat cleaner meat, but the meat itself is probably doing just as much damage. If this is news to you, I suggest reading The China Study.

And where is the link? Where are your sources.

Humankind evolved eating meat... and diary products have been a stable for millennia. The problems with meat and dairy come from the chemicals, drugs and practises of factory farming to increase yield and profit for the industry not from unpolluted sources.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by evc1shop
reply to post by Rezlooper

About Whole Foods, I used to hold them to a higher standard and, for the most part, still do. My wife likes to shop there but a while back she also liked to shop at Trader Joes because they have some unique products or marketing etc.. She used to like stocking up on some frozen veggies from there and I was looking at them and realized that TJ's frozen veggies and a lot of food items there had come from China. We immediately stopped buying produce, fresh or frozen, from there and started reading all of their labels carefully. This had to be about 5 or 6 years ago. This past year we were shopping the Whole Foods in our area and I happened to notice that some of their produce had come from China, labeled as organic even! This really opened my eyes since I thought they were purchasing locally to promote fresh and the whole carbon credits of moving good around the world etc... throw in the fact that even without pesticides (if they coudl prove China Organics didn't use them) their soil qualities would be unknown and possibly afffected by toxic rain if they are anywhere near the smog producing areas of the country, I mean the runoff into the fields might not be "clean" and the list goes on. How many children picked my veggies? What kind of wage are the pickers getting if I am paying top-dollar for it? Wait a minute, doesn't the US grow these things? Well, I now have a bunch of garden boxes in place and grew my first crops last year... I still have to supplement during the year with produce form my local farmers market and plan my meals around whatever surprises I find there..... I think this is how my grandparents did it growiing up.... hmmm.

Link to Whole Foods Article If you are interested.
edit on 17-1-2013 by evc1shop because: spelling corrections

That's good to know about Whole Foods. I just took a trip there this afternoon, not for produce, but for some meats, and yes they are expensive. Last time I was at Walmart I was looking for some fish and almost all their fish comes from China.The only fish that didn't came from a small company in MN and that was fresh Canadian Walleye, trout and smelt. I went with the walleye!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
The MEAT GLUE issue is sickening.....
The food industry, (in fact most industries) these days have the customer right at the bottom of their priority list.
PROFIT is just the wrong motive...........human enterprise is based on a poor foundation, which in crumbling will kill or weaken us all....................
Reason is abandoned for a quick buck.

These companies are just as bad as drug dealers. It's exactly what drug dealers do, they chop a bunch of crap into their drugs to make more weight so that they can stretch it out and make more money and that's basically what these companies are doing by putting in the 'pink slime' (meat glue) into their meat..adding a cheap filler to stretch it out a little more- a measly 3 cents a pound!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

This is what happens when you have an economy that puts profits above people.

People Not Profit

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sunglower
This is nothing new that McDonalds is bad for you and no one is being tied down and forced to eat this. Most people don't care what is in their burger from a fast food restaurant. EVERYONE knows fast food is not good for you. However, for most people it tastes good and that is all that matters. For example, look at hotdogs. Even kids hear the rumors of what they are made out of, but do we still eat and love them? yes

One should know better by now, if they want to eat this then that is their choice. Should the government really step up and say oh no you can't eat this. Would more regulations help you sleep at night?

Ignorance is bliss. Maybe we're better off not knowing about this stuff like all the chemicals, pink slime, meat glue, etc.

Have you tasted a McD burger lately...far from tasty. They don't taste good compared to a good home-cooked burger. I think it's much more about convenience that America still eats this crap.

It's not about the government saying you can't eat this...It's about the government saying, no you can't contaminate this product with chemicals and drugs that we know are harmful and then feed it to the masses!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

Over the course of the last twenty years I have switched to a nearly all organic, grassfed, free range and raw(ish) diet. Over the same twenty years my income (household) has decreased considerably as well. What I have found is 1) I eat all the food I purchase - very little goes to waste and 2) I don't need or want to eat as much because I get the nutrisition my body needs from the food. I have found organic very cost effective.

Cost is just an excuse. Start with those items that are the worst (fakest, GMO) offenders - like corn. Eat only organic corn. You won't let that expensive organic corn go to waste and you'll appreciate it all the more - it may not be as pretty - but it'll taste better. And go from there ...

A note about orgainc grass fed beef. It tastes different than corn (GMO) fed beef and takes a bit of getting used to. Same with raw milk. But once you make the chance - you'll never go back.

Just being aware of what is in processed and factory farmed food is a good beginning and don't forget that food is irradiated as well without consumer labeling. Any spice that isn't organic has been irradiated by ionizing radiation to 'preserve' the product. Keep that in mind the next time you choose spices, the cost doesn't seem so bad when you look at YOUR future costs in health and well-being.

Start looking at food differently and it can change your whole life - slowly and forever.

Great Thread OP.

Thanks for the tips here. Some good points to consider, such as the cost working out to your benefit because you're eating organic and you get all the nutrition you need from it...basically, you don't have the desires or craves to eat more! That's a good way to look at it, I never considered that. Without all the high fructose corn syrup and other junk, you won't crave more food because that's the only purpose of those types of additives - to make you crave more!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
...And they make it illegal here to kill your own poultry....

We eat a lot of deer meat.
It's shot on a reserve that's pretty big.

My friend is really into organics and she won't eat deer because she says it might have nibbled some herbicides on roadside grass.

I can't afford organic. That's for sure. I can't afford meat, what am I saying. lol
I eat the deer. If Bambi got a little roundup it is probably less than is in my corn.
edit on 17-1-2013 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper

Originally posted by Sunglower

Have you tasted a McD burger lately...far from tasty. They don't taste good compared to a good home-cooked burger. I think it's much more about convenience that America still eats this crap.

It's not about the government saying you can't eat this...It's about the government saying, no you can't contaminate this product with chemicals and drugs that we know are harmful and then feed it to the masses!

Have you been to a McDonalds lately? In the breakfast, lunch and dinner hours the drive-thru goes all the way out to the street. I'm not saying it tastes good, but obviously people think it must not be horrible because so many people visit these establishments. Sure, we can argue the convenient factor outweighs whatever. But, having a banana in a bag is even more convenient.

Should we ban smoking because it is harmful and available to the masses? I think it is our right to do as we please. Whether it is a bad decision or not, it is our right to make a decision and be responsible for ourselves.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Sunglower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper

Had one last night and it was tasty.

Not better than a good home-cooked burger but it was better than some crappy home-cooked burgers I have tasted.

edit on 17-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join