It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Sandy Hook Massacre Spawned Conspiracy Theories

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

The minds of conspiracy theorists

But what the conspiratorial mind sees as misinformation and lies, others see as merely perfectly ordinary incomplete and inaccurate information following a multifaceted tragedy. Especially in the hours and first days after such a chaotic and horrifying event, witnesses can be confused and mistaken. Police officers and reporters can misspeak, or be given incorrect information.

Not every single statement about what occurred, from dozens of different people in different places at different times, will agree in every detail. Three different witnesses to a minor car accident will often give three slightly different accounts of what they saw, so it's unrealistic to expect dozens of people who were involved in a chaotic school massacre to report exactly the same things.

Part of the reason that conspiracy theories linger is that any contradictory evidence — no matter how conclusive or compelling — can just be dismissed by claiming that it's part of the cover-up. There is ultimately no evidence that would satisfy most conspiracy theorists. Those who distrust the government will use any excuse to support their beliefs, logical or not. Conspiracy theorists prefer complex mysteries over simple truths, and find mystery where none exists. Research has shown not only that a person who believes in one conspiracy theory is likely to support others, but also contradictions don't deter conspiracy theorists.

Front page of Yahoo. Seems like these stories are coming up all over the place.

Once again they use the more ridiculous theories as a way to group all conspiracy theorists as one group.

I hope people catch on to what is really going on here, and fast. Gun Control isnt the only thing this tragedy is being used for.

edit on 16-1-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Maybe targeting conspiracy theorists is just another way to divide everyone like we're seeing with gun owners and anti gun believers. Divide and conquor is such an old dog and pony show.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

actually, if you look, I put my personal thoughts in the first reply under the thread. Thanks though.

ETA: I edited it so the thoughts were IN the first post...dont want any 'shame' brought upon me

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Yes, I saw that and removed my comment.
It is getting really interesting and Sandy Hook is becoming the perfect example of killing two birds with one stone.
(Maybe I shouldn't have said that. Now they'll try to ban stones.)

I guess the ultimate domestic terrorist is a conspiracy theorist who owns a gun.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The problem with conspiracy theorists is that they consider anyone questioning their facts to be attacking them...

it's all a conspiracy you see.

I like this thread. It reminds me that I almost let the wave of "everything is a conspiracy!!" envelop me. Luckily there was so much mud under the surface, I managed to clamber my way out.

Ahh but who am I? some schmuck on the internet. I probably get paid to laugh at you while you drink water poisoned by neocon globalists...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I'm glad I grew up with parents and teachers who actually entertained my "Why?" questions.
Nowadays, parents don't want to be bothered and teachers simply say "Because I said so."

I will always question everything. If that makes me a threat, so be it.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

The problem with conspiracy theorists is that they consider anyone questioning their facts to be attacking them...

Allow me to reword that for you.
The problem with the government is that they consider anyone questioning their facts to be attacking them.

There. That's better.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

Maybe targeting conspiracy theorists is just another way to divide everyone like we're seeing with gun owners and anti gun believers. Divide and conquor is such an old dog and pony show.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)
Or could it be that targeting conspiracy theorists is one way to make the first amendment look like it could maybe use some good ol fashion EO's added to it to keep us safe from people that talk? I will be way more angry when they start censoring the internet "for our safety". Just have to find enough loud mouth nuts to put on the idiot box and the masses will be begging for old Uncle Sam to step in and keep them safe. Just think of how safe we will all be when we just get all the info from 2 or 3 news sources.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I find it quite unsettling the way this is playing out. With so many people so heavily swayed by the 'news', things like this are going to have a real effect on public perception.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

It almost like conspiracy theories were/are becoming somewhat excepted as a sort of news, 15 years ago if you even mentioned anything "out side the box" in a public place such as around the break room table at work you would be shunned. Now its more common place, and I feel they are trying to shove said thinkers back in their hole away from public view.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddog5595

It almost like conspiracy theories were/are becoming somewhat excepted as a sort of news, 15 years ago if you even mentioned anything "out side the box" in a public place such as around the break room table at work you would be shunned. Now its more common place, and I feel they are trying to shove said thinkers back in their hole away from public view.
Agreed, although, as has already been pointed out, I could see it going even further than that. Imagine being able to be prosecuted for investigating a conspiracy theory.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddog5595

It could be that, too. It's hard to gauge right now and it's anyone's guess.
I'm truly tired of the government worrying about my intellectual (and physical) safety so much. It's really none of their business what I choose to read or listen to. My beliefs are none of their business. If I don't want to get vaccinated, let me worry about the ramifications to my health.
It's as if they're making conspiracy theory its own religion that must be snuffed out.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Great post, and interesting piece, I get a big laugh every time they trot out these 'media shirnks' to try and explain the minds of so called 'conspiracy theorists' lol, it's hilarious. I hope Rense or somebody will do a show on the minds of 'status quo' thinkers. That would be ideal.

Really though the reason I question events like SH is not because of many of the many straw men in the article but because I feel after looking at the what has been presented there is a much more LIKELY scenario (at THIS point) than the half -baked one the media paints. Just as I did with 9-11. And Waco, And The Liberty. etc... (you get the idea)

And not just that but because simply I fully understand the homicidal and eugenics minded people now running things and they have fully tipped their attitudes and intentions. And maybe mostly because of the dozen or so posts here and on most evry site around the web on gun control that are tied directly to all the shootings being used in places like Australia, U.K., Norway, Canada, and the U.S. etc. etc, and being used as a pretext to disarm the world. I think that's really it's the last one (along with the homicidal and eugenics part) that is the biggest reason though, did they touch on that in the article.

edit on 16-1-2013 by Tecumte because: sp.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Could've SWORN that any/all new threads regarding Sandy Hook would be locked and/or deleted, from here on out...

Or not?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by weavty1
Could've SWORN that any/all new threads regarding Sandy Hook would be locked and/or deleted, from here on out...

Or not?

What would make you think such a thing? We're here to Deny Ignorance by asking questions and trying to find answers. Are you surprised?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Or not?

At least you can admit you're a fan of censorship.
That's the first step to a successful recovery.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Or not?

1)That wasnt said. You need to re read the memo.

2)This thread isnt about Sandy Hook, its about an article about Sandy Hook, as well as the recent surge in media coverage of conspiracy theorists.

Thanks for your input though.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It seems the plan was to seize upon this tragedy as a reason to ban military-type rifles with an inconvenient truth that none were used, a la 9/11 as a reason to invade Iraq - non sequitur. It appears some sloppy reporting was necessary to carry-out that sort of agenda. I expect what was initially reported was what was intended to be.

Now with the media blitzing conspiracy theorists my suspicions are that much more aroused pondering WHO might actually be the architects of the multitude and the more whacked-out theories that came up. When some more actual truths come out most people will only believe the slop they were first fed and those who kept up and know the real story have their integrity compromised by the media campaign looking to marginalize them.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families for the tragedy and for the dirty tricks that followed.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I'm not a Conspiracy Theorist
I am a Governmental Narrative Non-believer.
(that's a GEE double ENN for all you un-hip folk out there, we also come just before GNR alphabetically)
edit on 16-1-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join