It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs 23 executive orders on gun control

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Just watched the press conference and did some digging until the list of orders was made available. This is what i found.

1. "Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system."

2. "Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system."

3. "Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system."

4. "Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks."

5. "Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun."

6. "Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. "Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign."

8. "Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission)."

9. "Issue a presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations."

10. "Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement."

11. "Nominate an ATF director."

12. "Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations."

13. "Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime."

14. "Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence."

15. "Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies."

16. "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes."

17. "Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities."

18. "Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers."

19. "Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education."

20. "Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover."

21. "Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges."

22. "Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations."

23. "Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health."

CNN Article
edit on 16-1-2013 by stutteringp0et because: adding source

edit on 16/1/13 by JustMike because: Added the required "ex" tags.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
.... and he did it to thunderous applause. :shk:

Quote from Star Wars ... 'so this is how liberty dies, to the sound of applause' ....

MOLON LABE !!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It wasn not as much of a bloodbath I thought it would be, but it's still crap and they can't make me drink the kool-aid! Of course there was applause, that was the liberal MSM.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I never got a permit in the first place. I don't pay for permits to my rights. If you manage to find my gun it is because I am pointing it at you.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stutteringp0et

Really not trying to be a nit wit here but can you link your source to this information please? I don't doubt your sourced material but with any issue I would like to see the source first before trying to pick it apart.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I must say this looks fairly innocuous - examining existing laws and institutions and their role in preventing gun related crimes. This may be only to make the public think the pressure is off while Biden's working group develops the hard line laws that won't be popular.
I know there is more than this coming.
This is the first wave only just to get our toes wet.

As for

13. "Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime."

He could start by charging those guilty in the Fast and Furious scandal.
Now THAT would be real leadership!
edit on 16-1-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I just watched him speak and sign these executive orders live on the news. What I'm hearing and taking from these newscasters is that he does not need congresses approval to sign these into law? Is this correct/true? Can someone who better understands help explain this to me?
I thought legislation approval would be required?
edit on 16-1-2013 by Katharos62191 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
16. "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes."

So are these doctors supposed to report this, and to whom?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Source added to OP

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn

Really not trying to be a nit wit here but can you link your source to this information please? I don't doubt your sourced material but with any issue I would like to see the source first before trying to pick it apart.

The list is at the bottom of this document: White House list of executive orders on gun violence

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Please provide a link to the information you have written...thanks.

Ah...I see that a link is provided...it wouldn't show up the first time I looked at your thread.

As for what do I think about these 23 executive orders...I will have to get back to you...still studying.

edit on 16-1-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Putyournamehere

So are these doctors supposed to report this, and to whom?

my opinion only: I think this is in place so that if you are seeing a psychiatrist who feels you may be a danger to yourself or others, he is not legally barred from asking you whether you have guns at home.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

added to OP

but here's the CNN article I got it from:
CNN Article

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Katharos62191

I just watched him speak and sign these executive orders live on the news. What I'm hearing and taking from these newscasters is that he does not need congresses approval to sign these into law? Is this correct/true? Can someone who better understands help explain this to me?

Most of this is already law, and these executive orders seem to simply enforce them to some extent. For example, background checks are already required, so the executive order (which ever number it was) is enacted simply to make sure nothing is slipping through the cracks.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
There is something strange to me about the term executive action being used in lieu of executive orders.
I'm not sure what the difference is and i can not find a definition for the term.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Is it just me or does it look like none of them actually do anything?

I'm having horrible flashbacks to the days when my office formed groups to discuss the formation of committees to discuss actions that investigated implementations and so on.....

Gets a sigh of relief from me.

Now to just harass my "elected officials" to keep some asinine AWB at bay.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Reading thru many of those I thought back to Fast and Furious and what an absolut contradiction it is for the DOJ & ATF to be involved in any of these orders.

The other thing that bothered me is all the directives toward doctors. So now our doctors are government spies?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

Originally posted by Katharos62191

Most of this is already law, and these executive orders seem to simply enforce them to some extent. For example, background checks are already required, so the executive order (which ever number it was) is enacted simply to make sure nothing is slipping through the cracks.

Background checks have never been performed on second hand sales. None of the weapons used in the mass shootings were obtained unlawfully. Get ready for a fifty dollar tax when if you are cleared to sell a used gun.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I must say this looks fairly innocuous - examining existing laws and institutions and their role in preventing gun related crimes. This may be only to make the public think the pressure is off while Biden's working group develops the hard line laws that won't be popular.
I know there is more than this coming.
This is the first wave only just to get our toes wet.

As for

He could start by charging those guilty in the Fast and Furious scandal.
Now THAT would be real leadership!
edit on 16-1-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

Yes, it's an air ball !
Obama took a good look at the House of Representatives and threw out a bunch of
placebos.

Obama could very easily get impeached by the House of Representatives.
The trial wouldn't last long in the U.S. Senate but who needs the aggravation?

- PUNT ! -

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by stutteringp0et

14. "Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence."

15. "Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies."

17. "Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities."

13 to 17 worry or confuse me the most, that or both.

"Maximize enforcement efforts" I hope they put more behind that to prevent abuse of new power.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join