It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd Amendment ALERT!!! I just called Bank of America... you have to hear this!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I just found this video,a woman calls BOA asking if a rumor that
card purchases for ammo and firearms where being stopped,
and the answer was yes! Now it seems that the bankers will
now tell you what you can or cannot do with your own money!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
someone had posted this same link on FB earlier.
but what is to stop you from taking out cash and just buying whatever??
also the sticky note that the operator wrote for his manager is going straight into the trash bin.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
sorry i did not see this posted,mods please remove this thread.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

Isn't it illegal to record a conversation on the phone without the other party being made aware of this?

Law abiding citizens need to start being law abiding.

But other than that, I can't believe the bank has such audacity. Now that would make me want a gun...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

In several states only one party of the conversation must be aware of the recording. It protects against illegal wiretapping.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by notkmarx

Yes, you could simply use cash, but that is not addressing the real issue here, which is; the bank DICTATING what you can use YOUR money on.

We could apply a band-aid by circumventing the bank, but that would only allow the opportunity to tighten their grip up even more. Then, when they make their next move, we will need to find a way to circumvent it too. Eventually, we will have come full-circle and what used to be our home, where we started the journey, resembles nothing we have known before.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I just went to a forum (an outdoors oriented forum) and a couple posters stated that they were able to purchase ammo and guns. There was also mention of This....Could that be the reason why someones order would be denied? And she only talked to the lowest peon in the place (I used to be one) he knows very little about anything unless it's some huge change which the customers get a mailed letter about...so not a very good source for anything.

link   
It varies by state and the more restrictive is the one to follow between states.

State Phone Recording Laws at a Glance

Hope that helps...

link   

Originally posted by netwarrior
reply to post by winofiend

In several states only one party of the conversation must be aware of the recording. It protects against illegal wiretapping.

If the person doing the recording is the other party, then that makes the intent kind of pointless.

If a company is to record you, they make you aware of this and give you the option to opt out.

Anyway, just a side point.

I can't tell you tho, if a bank down this way had such a new policy, telling me what I can and cannot do with my own money, that would infuriate me more than the bank would want to know.

I'llbe keepin an eye on this one..

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Like others have said I agree, just do a cash advance withdrawal on the card and pay cash!

However, as far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), that technically if it's a credit card, it's not YOUR money. It's the banks money they are lending to you, that you pay back. Hence the term "credit" card. Now if they were stopping purchases through debit, that's another story.

link   
I havent researched if this is legit or not...

This wouldnt surprise me even a little bit. When we first got chipped bank cards here in Canada, I was already thinking about how the banks would know even more about your transactions... and have even more power to control them.

Not saying they didnt have the power before the chip.... its just a little scary thinking that the bank could decide that you can shop at certain store, or buy certain things.

link   
If true to policy, I find it ridiculous what they want to state they will let you buy and will be taking my business elsewhere.

That being said, and also being a customer service representative over the phone, you should be versed in all policy, especially new policies and one that impact the customer in such a manner.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodsman99
Like others have said I agree, just do a cash advance withdrawal on the card and pay cash!

My first stop on payday is the bank, to deposit my cheque, and take it all out in cash. It does wonders for budgeting as well.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Hate to break it to you, but the money on your credit card, isn't yours. The card isn't even yours legally.

So, really they are just exercising their right to limit what you do with the money that they lend you.

It's a dirty dirty trick and quite clever really as a means of pushing gun control, considering how many Americans use credit cards for such purchases.

But, it's certainly within their right.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
To me it feels as if the people are being sanctioned,
the same way as a foreign country,its very clear that
good law abiding citizens are being treated as criminals.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I hate to say,but if you are using a debit card on an
account that you deposited money into,then its yours.
I am not sure if this is only on credit cards or debit as well.
I do agree with you that this is a dirty underhanded trick!!
edit on 15-1-2013 by PatriotsPride because: add comment.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The employee seemed to be a genuine person at least.
I hope he honors her complaint with actually passing it to his boss.

She made a great case, and was well spoken.
Bank should not be infringing on their customers decisions, they deserve to get as much flack as possible... it's like they've got a dystopian game plan.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Related? True? See last paragraph?

Frankly, this is happening more and more...people at odds in business refusing to do business with each other? Remember that "if you voted for Obama, we're not selling your firearms" store?" Similar. And I guess they each have every right to do it, as the dude says.This is all apparently from April 2012.

McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, McMillan Firearms Manufacturing, McMillan Group International have been collectively banking with Bank of America for 12 years. Today Mr. Ray Fox, Senior Vice President, Market Manager, Business Banking, Global Commercial Banking came to my office.

He scheduled the meeting as an “account analysis” meeting in order to evaluate the two lines of credit we have with them. He spent 5 minutes talking about how McMillan has changed in the last 5 years and have become more of a firearms manufacturer than a supplier of accessories.

At this point I interrupted him and asked “Can I possible save you some time so that you don’t waste your breath? What you are going to tell me is that because we are in the firearms manufacturing business you no longer what my business.”

“That is correct” he says.

I replied “That is okay, we will move our accounts as soon as possible. We can find a 2nd Amendment friendly bank that will be glad to have our business. You won’t mind if I tell the NRA, SCI and everyone one I know that BofA is not firearms industry friendly?”

“You have to do what you must” he said.

“So you are telling me this is a politically motivated decision, is that right?” Mr Fox confirmed that it was. At which point I told him that the meeting was over and there was nothing let for him to say. I think it is import for all Americans who believe in and support our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms should know when a business does not support these rights. What you do with that knowledge is up to you.

When I don’t agree with a business’ political position I can not in good conscience support them. We will soon no longer be accepting Bank of America credit cards as payment for our products.

Kelly D McMillan
Director of Operations McMillan Group International, LLC 623-582-9635
www.mcmillanusa.com

source: www.facebook.com...

ETA: I bet it's just credit cards, not bank/checking/debit cards where the money is yours and not a line of credit. Anyone know?

Here's another person claiming he actually got an answer from BoA"

As you could imagine this made me furious…After countless hours on the phone with BANK OF AMERICA I finally got a manager in the right department that told me the reason that the deposits were on hold for FURTHER REVIEW …HER EXACT WORDS WERE AS FOLLOWS…

“WE BELIEVE YOU SHOULD NOT BE SELLING GUNS and GUN PARTS ON THE INTERNET “

Source: www.ammoland.com...

And an article reviewing this claim: www.dailyfinance.com...

And an apparent response from Bank of America:

Bank of America cannot discuss a specific account due to privacy reasons but Anne G. Pace, writing on behalf of Bank of America, states “I want to assure you and your organization that we do not have a policy that would deny banking services to entities because they are in the firearms industry.”

Pace goes on to write “We honor the rights and freedoms provided for in the U.S. Constitution and its amendments, including the Second Amendment.”

Further investigation has shown that Bank of America is the credit card provider for Bass Pro Shops, a national firearms retailer. Read more: dailycaller.com...

So it might appear they are only concerned about internet sales? Maybe...
edit on 1/15/2013 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
listening to the link make me think.
my bank takes money from my account every month.
but only if i don't use my debit card enough.
seems like it would be the opposite?

BoA you got two bail outs.
as if people didn't need another good reason to take their money and hide it in a wall..

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Actually it's not.

Legally, any money 'deposited' at the bank is the banks to use, as they wish. They are only obligated to return what you deposited, but they have no legal obligation to do it on the spot. Not according to the terms you sign when you become a member.

If everybody went to the bank tomorrow and asked to withdraw their funds, do you think the bank could provide all that cash?

No.

Why? Because the bank doesn't actually have that much money, they hold about 1/3 or less in actual holdings. The rest is in loans and then profits made from the interest on those loans and services that turn profit.

So while I may certainly agree that YOUR money that you deposit at the bank is YOURS to do as you see fit, include buy guns with the cards you have; I also agree that the bank has the right to limit the use of it's services or provide an option to opt out of using said service.

Legally though, the banks would win that one.

~Tenth
edit on 1/15/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join