It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do *You* Need To Wear A Medical ID Tag?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Great link im gonna look if i find something kid likes
Thank you !

About all the advice, no matter where in the World you live when you tell you are diabetic they always connect that to type 2 and dieting and sugar is going to kill you lol.

One of the worst comment was from a nurse when other patient who shared the room with our kid when he was diagnosed asked what my kid has, the nurse said Its diabetes and its terminal...

And one type 2 diabetic man said once when he saw i gave insulin to kid from the pump, "oh his diabetes has gone that bad !!! "
You just need to close your ears from these comments, no matter how you try to eduacate them
they seem to never learn
edit on 15-1-2013 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

May I ask where in the world a nurse said it was terminal??? OMG!!!!! I would have been so upset. But you are right too....sometimes people just cannot be educated.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I have actually been thinking of buying the USB medical bracelet. I have a lot of health issues and severe medication allergies , that would need a huge sheet of paper. the only ones i hva found so far are ugly, cheap plastic and they want 40 bucks. As soon as I find a decent one will get one.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Finland, have to admit it was horrible thing to say and specially then when kid was just diagnosed and all the emotions etc were very strong at the time. Tho the nurse was a freshman but got a advice to herself not to spit such a frogs out of her mouth.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
I have actually been thinking of buying the USB medical bracelet. I have a lot of health issues and severe medication allergies , that would need a huge sheet of paper. the only ones i hva found so far are ugly, cheap plastic and they want 40 bucks. As soon as I find a decent one will get one.

Check out StickyJ. They have a few options at around $25. You can even do a custom one, but those are more expensive since you have to buy the bracelet also.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

So sorry you and your son had to go through that!!! Sometimes I think T1D is one of the most misunderstood things on the planet.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice dollukka & Starwise!!!

It is much appreciated!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

check the link in my OP....there are some nice ones, really nice ones and extremely nice ones. $ $$ $$$
LINK

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I wear an engraved bracelet for my NSAID allergy (aspirin, ibuprofen, voltarol etc).

The main reason I wear it is that if I'm unfortunate to have a heart attack, one of the first things a paramedic will do is to administer aspirin. Unfortunately though, instead of helping save me, it would kill me instead.

You may think I'm being over-cautious but there's a quite strong history of heart disease in my paternal family so the likelihood is that I may suffer from it at some point.

So without a doubt if you have a medical problem which requires recognition, wear one.
It's your life you're protecting.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

You are so RIGHT!!!! That IS the first thing you are given! Aspirin 324mg. Glad to hear you are wearing an ID!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I can't thank you enough for the link to the pretty alert jewelry. I should be wearing something because I can't have blood taken out of or a blood pressure cuff on my right arm from when I had lymph nodes removed.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

(((Night Star)))

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I'm so happy there are a lot of pretty and unique looking bracelets out there! I should have one already, but once I have my surgical implant put in my spine, I'll definitely be getting one.God forbid I got into an accident and they tried to do an MRI or something with that in, yikes. I already picked out a few I like

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
A few years ago a co-worker collapsed at his workstation. I saw that he had a Diabetes bracelet. Since diabetes runs in my family, I knew enough to raid the coffee room for some sugar and warm water. About 10 minutes later he was fine. If you have health issues that require a bracelet or tag, you are stupid if you don't get one.

As far as the USB bracelets are concerned, don't bother. Most hospitals don't have the ability or desire to read them. My Mother had many health issues so I took a USB drive and put her medications and health history on it in a .TXT file. Not one of the hospitals that I had to take her to would pull the info from the USB. I finally put a shortcut to a batch file for my printer and would print everything out when I had to take her to the hospital.
edit on 17-1-2013 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I wear a medical ID tag on my wrist. It simply says: "NO MRI. Metal Inside."

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

It's a really good idea. I'm not in one of those categories, although I was trained and volunteered for a short time as an EMT.

Wearing a tag can help you in a medical situation. The quicker EMTs, Nurses, and Physicians who are unfamiliar with your medical history can understand what is wrong with you (a medical id tag being helpful here!) the quicker they can give you the treatment you need without approaching the risk of permanent damage or death.

I've actually seen some really nice ID tags, and you can put them on an ankle or around your neck too where they wouldn't be very noticed.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

My middle daughter ( 14) was born with liver disease and had a transplant a few yrs ago. MEGA medications and some interactions on record. She has dealt with significant illness all of her life.. and its been important to use these. Her transplant team basically demanded that she wear a USB after the transplant and we hunted around for the best ones. We used kid ones at one point and due to her being older now, there are nice more adult ones
We've bought them from these places

FInding one water resistant is a MUST! She has one for every day that looks more like a stylish bracelet.. and one when she is going to the waterpark or taekwondo etc..

www.medids.com...
www.elegantmedicalalert.com...

Used these when she was much younger ( for those that have kids here)
medicalidstore.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join