It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do *You* Need To Wear A Medical ID Tag?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
ATS is not just a place for trolls and shills, it is a place for many disabled, injured or ill people from around the world, to gather in discussion and feel like a part of something greater than what we are. We may be young, middle aged or older. We may have diabetes, epilepsy or a heart condition for example. We may also have multiple allergies on top of certain medical conditions.

My discussion is directed at those who "should" wear an ID tag but have not gotten one, or refuse to wear one, or those who do and want to add to the discussion.

Below is an example of all the conditions in which someone may want to consider wearing one.

Below is a partial list of ailments or persons who should wear a medical ID: Diabetes Heart disease (angina, atrial fibrillation, pacemakers) Blood thinners/anticoagulants (Coumadin/Warfarin) Drug allergies (such as Penicillin) Food allergies (such as peanut) Insect allergies (such as bee stings) Alzheimer`s/Dementia/Memory impairment Anemia Ankylosing Spondylitis Arrhythmias Asthma Autism ADD/ADHD Bariatric surgery patients Blood disorders Breathing disorders Cerebral Palsy Clinical trial patients COPD Cystic Fibrosis Emphysema Epilepsy, seizures Hearing, sight or mentally impaired Hypertension Kidney failure Mental health patients Multiple Sclerosis Parkinson`s Disease People taking multiple medications Rare diseases Special needs children Stroke risk Surgery, transplant or cancer patients Tourette Syndrome

Now before you go off on me for suggesting to wear one hear me out. I have met many wonderful people here on ATS who have supported me through my entire ordeal since I was diagnosed with MS this past summer. Many of these people have opened up and spoken about their medical issues, free from fear and out of genuine empathy.

A little back story for me is that I am a semi retired nurse who is on disability while still in physical and occupational therapy going on 7 months now. I finally came to peace about my incurable disease after I have gone through all the steps of anger, denial, and grief. I have lost friends on this short journey so far, and have gained new ones and some friendships have grown deeper bonds which I am truly thankful for.

After some research I found interesting info:

American Medical ID recently surveyed emergency medical professionals ranging from first responders to paramedics. Among the results: More than 95 percent of respondents look for a medical ID during emergencies. More than 75 percent look for a medical ID immediately upon assessing a patient. 95 percent look at the patient's wrist to find a medical ID, and 68 percent look for an ID on the patient's neck.

source for FAQ

It really got me thinking about whether or not I should invest in one. After a few months of going back and forth in my head and while driving back roads in the fog and darkness; I looked at my kids one day and decided that it would be a good idea, if I were in a car accident for example.

So I looked at IDs and they were UGLY!! I didn't want something that would embarrass me!! I thought that maybe I could make my own but how? I eventually found a website that had items that were right up my artistic jewelry making ideology. So, yes I broke down and bought one. I kept thinking that by purchasing one I resigned myself to a negative way of thinking and admitting defeat. But that is not correct. By getting one I began to feel a little bit freer knowing that if I were unconscious someone would at least know that I could die if getting a dose of Morphine!!

The tags do not carry an RFID chip so nothing to worry about regarding that issue. If you need one and do not have one why? Has it just not been on your mind? Or have you been like me, in denial of the fact that you might need one?

I have been wearing my ID bracelet for a few weeks now and not only do I think it is pretty, but I actually feel safer for my family if I were alone. I am not trying to sell anything but will provide a website for those who may be interested in having a little style if that is what is preventing you from wearing one. Its called Laurens Hope: Medical IDs

Now if you still do not want to wear one, ask yourself *again* why? My father refuses to wear one. He has cancer and a pacemaker, he wears oxygen too. He hopes for death to come quickly like we all. To each his own and I respect that.

Blessings

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I have ADHD. There is zero logical reasoning why I should need to wear a medical bracelet for this. Nor is there a real reason that one should need a bracelet just because I'm near-sighted.

Those bracelets are to assist medical staff in saving someone's life, and I believe in saving them for people who actually have a medical need in an accident where they are unable to let anybody know about a condition.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

The reasoning is that you could be on some serious medications for that ADHD. That is why.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
That is a very pretty bracelet. Nice find!

Me personally, I would opt for a necklace. They have ones that you can look into and get all your medical information.

EMTs also check phones for ICE (my phone even has an ice button) and you can have an app with all your info on it.

So at the very least, if someone doesn't want a medical alert tag, at least have ICE in your phone.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I have ADHD. There is zero logical reasoning why I should need to wear a medical bracelet for this. Nor is there a real reason that one should need a bracelet just because I'm near-sighted.

Those bracelets are to assist medical staff in saving someone's life, and I believe in saving them for people who actually have a medical need in an accident where they are unable to let anybody know about a condition.

Unless you are on Ritalin which is a stimulate and would need to be known to EMS to pass on to the ER docs prior to arrival. Then it may be a good idea. But otherwise I would agree ADHD does not need to be on the list.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I dont have or need personally but my kid is type 1 diabetic, when we go on bigger trip by car he uses his bracelet also. He doesn´t like it much tho. He has insulin pump and real time bloodglucose monitoring, when bloodglucose gets high or low it keeps alarming and gives directions like call help im diabetic ( when low BG) also vibrates if its really low, this inslulin pump also stops giving more insulin when it reaches certain low value and check insulin pump and consider taking a insulin shot ( needle ) (when high BG) the sounds are very annoying.

Kid is very insulin sensitive and his take on insulin is almost half what other diabetics in his age and size, due continious monitoring.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Fair enough, but I really wish that they would spell this out rather than just lumping people together.

It could cause somebody that needs to take this list seriously to not do so.

For myself, after I saw the ADHD thing, I went over the rest of it with a skeptical eye.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I have a VA ID card in my wallet.
Any hospital can call the VA and get my medical records to stabilize me long enough to transfer me to a VA medical center

In a emergency i can walk into any VA hospital and they can bring up my medical record anywhere in the US.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

So at the very least, if someone doesn't want a medical alert tag, at least have ICE in your phone.

I agree! I put it in my phone too but darn if I don't half the time forget it at home or let its batteries completely die before recharging.....I also put a medical card in my wallet for extra info if needed. I only placed the crucial info on my bracelet and I was able to get it in my favorite color of purple

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
reply to post by nixie_nox

Fair enough, but I really wish that they would spell this out rather than just lumping people together.

It could cause somebody that needs to take this list seriously to not do so.

For myself, after I saw the ADHD thing, I went over the rest of it with a skeptical eye.

That is why I linked the FAQ, and you can check out other websites. I just gave an example of one that I found.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Hi Starwise....
I am one of the disabled people on here too, living in the US as well.
I have never been offered these bracelets from any of my doctors. Is that how you get them?
And for me, it would be most wise to wear one.
I have had congestive heart failure, am asthmatic and have had serious
health issues in the past that required giving me experimental drugs that can only
be taken once in a lifetime. So, yeah, one of these ids would be ideal for me.

Sorry to hear about your MS. I have several close friends who have diagnosed with such.
It is an ugly disease, but then again, is there really any pretty disease?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I know a lot of people that should , the problem is they are on so many meds that the current tags er bracelet's do not have enough room to list them all nor their allergy's, most are willing to get chipped if and when that becomes the norm. till then they keep a piece of paper with them and a few do have a med alert, that says look in my wallet or hand bag for meds and allergy's.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I understand what you are saying. There are plenty of people who have ADHD without any intervention. But if these standards are being set by the companies that make the alert bracelets, they want to sell more, so things like ADHD get lumped in there.

I just had another thought:

If it is attention deficit disorder, those I know affected forget a lot of things. If you are taking a life sustaining medication for a different condition, than the ADHD could cause you to forget to take that med. Maybe that is why they list it.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BreathOfFreshAir

None of my doctors told me to get one, but being a nurse I already knew which diseases need one.

I went searching online and ordered it that way. With Congestive Heart Failure you could have the letters CHF and all docs and EMS know what that means.
I put my first name, main diagnosis, main allergy and comment to see wallet card for more info. Prices can vary, but there are many websites out there to give you ideas

You could have engraved Multiple Meds, Multiple Diagnoses, see wallet card (for example).

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm "o" neg. blood type, and as a child I carried a card on me in case of emergencies. I would think that would qualify for medical alert jewelry. I don't wear one, but should consider it

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

This is actually a really good idea. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea either, to maybe give your children/spouse/significant other a copy of the card. Even though medical records have gone electronic, doctors do not necessarily take the time to read through them all. Especially in a an emergency situation. I know because my last trip to the ER(couple months ago) the doctor had NO IDEA what my previous history was. I look healthy on the outside so I am generally not suspected of having any major health problems.

Thanks Starwise...most helpful thread for me.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'm kind of on the fence about this - these bracelets and medallions are great but some of us just have too many ailments. Like I need at least 2 dog tags: diabetes, heart disease, neck implant, stent, fused lumbar copd - not to mention the meds! I was thinking of getting my major ailments tatooed somewhere...

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic a little over 2 years ago. The first thing my sister said was she hoped I wasn't gonna have to wear one of those ugly ID bracelets. (That's so my sister!)

I went on a search for something nice and found Sticky Jewelry. That have so many options, it was hard for me to decide!

I settled on this one as for the first one:

I also have one that beaded & one that's waterproof/sporty for summertime.

I only wear mine when I go out alone. As bad as it is to say, when people learn I'm diabetic, they get all judgmental. I have to listen to loads of advice on how diet and exercise will cure me. That makes me sad.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Its obvious that so many people are ignorant to what TYPE 1 Diabetes is. People always think they know the right answers to everything. I am glad to see you do wear a bracelet
Don't let it get you sad. You can see it as an opportunity to educate THEM
or maybe not tell anyone anymore unless it is an as need to know basis?

My bracelet has 3 strands of multicolored purple crystals that can have the ID part located on the inner wrist, so people really have not recognized it unless I point it out. I love mine!! LOL. It gives me the flexibility to change bands, colors etc....

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BreathOfFreshAir
reply to post by Starwise

This is actually a really good idea. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea either, to maybe give your children/spouse/significant other a copy of the card. Even though medical records have gone electronic, doctors do not necessarily take the time to read through them all. Especially in a an emergency situation. I know because my last trip to the ER(couple months ago) the doctor had NO IDEA what my previous history was. I look healthy on the outside so I am generally not suspected of having any major health problems.

Thanks Starwise...most helpful thread for me.

Yes you are right, my husband and kids also have my info memorized too just in case!
I'm glad this thread helps you!
I used to think that writing something like this would be seen as stupid to the greater ATS community of conspiracy theorists, but realized, many of us who are on here ALL day (lol) are for a reason and maybe that reason is medical......so I thought I would just throw it out there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join