It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud boom jolts Southern Tier

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Time for a mythbusters experiment?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984
Looks like the case has been "solved." A kid shooting at 18 lbs of Tannerite was the culprit. Still not sure I totally buy it because of how far away this boom was heard.

www.post-journal.com...

Wow. Same explanation for the Evansville Booms!

Loud Boom Still Baffling Tri-Staters

Must be a new trend.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Now that's interesting. My conspiracy mind is wondering if they are just explaining these booms away due to this explosive material, or if the story should be taken at face value: a couple of idiots getting their jollies off blowing things up.

-TS

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

I had the exact same thoughts on it. I had read the Evansville explanation last week, so when I saw the same for your thread I raised an eyebrow!

One thing I did want to share with you.

In the OP it mentioned an EQ. I dug around and found a helicorder in Palisades, NY. When I look at yesterday's plot it does a bump at around 4pm. Station PAL.
NOTE: you probably will need to click the "previous day" button.

In all honesty I don't know if that means anything, but there it is.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Lockport here as well and nothing heard. Seems like you folks in the south towns always get the interesting stuff. Eh well Ghost Hunters was here a few months ago so I guess I can't complain to much...

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Hi,
I knee-jerked a little,...

Are there any fracking operations anywhere nearby?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

A boom heard so far away and yet the kid was still standing with no apparent hearing troubles, hmmm, I remember seeing one of those advanced weapons shows doing some exploding of substances and the shock wave knocked over their little manequins 100's of feet from the blast zone. I am not buying it.

Also, I have seen it written that most earthquakes have some sort of related one on the other side of the planet, something to do with waves/energy propagating through the Earth's mantle/core. I do not have this info in front of me but I have seen it on a reputable site recently while looking for other things. Now NY --> England isn't exactly the other side but could certainly be on a chord of some sorth along the circumference of this planet. Factor in the a time delay for a travelling wave and those that heard something in England may have heard a "shallow quake" just like NY may have. Now what caused it, maybe solar related? Maybe ELF waves, who knows?
edit on 14-1-2013 by evc1shop because: spelling

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by evc1shop

Also, I have seen it written that most earthquakes have some sort of related one on the other side of the planet, something to do with waves/energy propagating through the Earth's mantle/core.

Yep! Those are P-Waves I think.

I don't know if there was a EQ yesterday that would have triggered that. I would have to find other helioplots to compare for that time.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I Greet You

I am wondering if this noise on the eastcoast has something to do with precusor to a earthquake?

EarthQuake

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeyTookErJeobs
reply to post by truthseeker1984

This is really weird because this morning in England around 2-3am there was a really loud boom, almost like a bomb or gunshot had gone of, it was really loud. The first thing i did was jump on ATS to see if anyone had made a thread about it.

If someone could work out the time differences and see if our times match for when the boom was heard!

That is a really interesting statement. The boom that occurred around Warwick, RI in Dec 2012 had a person in England reporting hearing a boom around the same time.

A user on the Beacon website commented from Luton, England, a city about 31 miles north of London, where they said they heard a similar unexplained boom at around 5:15 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 4. Accounting for the time difference, the boom was heard in Luton at about 12:15 a.m. Eastern Standard Time, just 45 minutes after the noise that rattled Rhode Island.

Warwick Boom

Could be nothing, but just noticed the similarities.

~OkieDokie

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by chachonee

I have lived in Boston and then up and down the West coast (SF/Bay Area, Portland-OR, Seattle & North near the border as well as all the way down to San Diego and am now currently in the middle of the country. I have felt plenty of shakes and heard some noise prior and during , mostly a loud groaning rumbling sound. My personal belief is that what folks may be hearing is an earthquake or friction at the subduction zone of an earthquake having an outlet to the suface of a not-so-active fault line or at the creation of a new one. Perhaps there is a lot of energy in there and jsut need to get out, then the fracture is eased a bit but possibly followed up by an actual quake in the near future.
Recently moved to and am living in the twin-cities area right now in a wood-framed stucco house and just the other night I heard some booms here that I first thought someone had slammed my door shut, turns out that the sounds are actully related to the extreme temperature fluctuation here. We went from a 40 degree afternoon to a 2 degree midnight and the house popped. I think the same think happens with the earth's plates. I almost wonder if it is a static charge of sorts from the plates rubbing against each other. I have seen lightning touch earth with a bang like a gunn went off in my head so it seems plausible to me. Any other theories out there?
edit on 14-1-2013 by evc1shop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

The temperature difference theory is really interesting. It was in the teens most of the previous week, and then this past 3-4 days were in the 60's and some places recorded temps in the low 70's. It dropped right back to down about 32*F by 6:00pm last night. I don't know a lot about plate tectonics, but maybe someone can flag down one of the EQ watchers on ATS and ask their opinions on it.

To add: It was PITCH BLACK at 6:15 last night. Low cloud cover, chilly, and PITCH BLACK. Unless that kid was using a night vision scope or some sort of lighting, there's no way that he would have hit that package of explosives at a safe enough distance to not only protect himself but his hearing.

I'm usually one to take the simplest explanation as the correct one, but this case (and the other one that a previous poster mentioned) doesn't sit quite right with me. I'll wait and see if any of our resident geologists pop their heads in.

-TS

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Haha Jay! I saw them in Lily Dale back in 2007. Fakes, those guys are....haha.

And yeah, Lockport is pretty bland....

-TS

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Now i am not going to say all these loud booms are this. But when you hear them listen closely. They are usually followed by a rumbling nosie. If so listen close and you can tell if its going up or coming in. There are manny space ports around the world. We are sending ships up and back in. We are a space faring race now. Problem is there hiding it from us. Normaly you will also see odd clouds in the areas where these booms are comon place.
And where these booms are common place they always come up with different reasions for the same nosies. Whats even more bizzare is how people accept all these diffrent resions for the same nosie. Now thats a odd trick i would like to have explained. Lol
truth creates fear
To those that live by lies
Dragon

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984[/i

We had a strange event occur today a little after 1pm in the midcoast region of maine. Unfortunately, I had just hopped into my truck to drive home (3min drive) for a quick bite to eat so I didn't hear or feel a thing. As I was driving home I noticed a large tree had just toppled over by our driveway. When I walked in the house my wife asked if I heard an explosion. She said she heard what sounded like two explosions and the whole house shook. She thought it was the furnace at first. My sister also said she heard what sounded like two sonic booms and experienced some serious rumbling. The two booms/explosion sounds seemed odd to me for an earthquake. They are saying it was a 2.5 magnitude earthquake. USGS is having a hard time pinpointing the epicenter. It has officially changed twice today.
I've linked the article and copied a quote:

Matt Guggenheim, who lives on Barters Island in Boothbay, said he was working from home when he heard what felt like an explosion, or rather two explosions, in the distance.

"I looked out the window and saw all these birds take off," he said.

www.onlinesentinel.com...

edit on 14-1-2013 by peepsfromearth because: wrong spelling of hear

edit on 14-1-2013 by peepsfromearth because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2013 by peepsfromearth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I talked to my friend in sheffield today and she said the boom came from somebody shooting a box of shotgun shells with a shotgun. Evidently it happend in Busti..

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I'm in Ashville, NY I missed it not sure how? Although my neighbor called wounder what happened?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
whats weird is that I have been hearing odd sounds in the sky over the Hudson Valley. Normally around 2am/3am. The reason I have kept it to myself is because if I can hear it, I assume a hell of a lot of other people can too. I am waiting for someone else to report it. Its so obviously odd and so obviously loud, with a seven minute cycle. Why hasn't anyone else noticed it? I am not the only one awake at that time and I am not hearing things.
edit on 14-1-2013 by asinapi1 because: misspelled word

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I'm in hilton head, south carolina (add that to the pin map whoever is doing that) and around 1:45p, yesterday (1/14) my house shook violently for about 10 seconds. The best way to describe it would be like a cow being dropped from a plane at least 500 feet in altitude and landing directly on your house...that would be a close reminiscent. I was fairly glad it happened in a weird anticipatory-sorta way, I've been following the booms on a global scale for awhile now. Neighbor also called and reported exact scenario of confusion. I did a pretty comprehensive digital search for anything locally, even regionally related, and nothing showed (I data-mine for a living), which means my event was isolated & adds to the level of confusion.

I'm extremely in-touch with my immediate-surrounding atmosphere, whether consciously, environmental, socially, cultural, economically, or politically as most of you probably are as well, so I trust I speak for both of us when I say there's a shift coming. Let's not fear the shift, rather embrace the shift. The most beautiful transcendence of human ideal, behavior, and consciousness is directly in front of us.
edit on 15-1-2013 by classicalparadigm because: sp

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
There are videos on line of those exploding targets; check them out to see if that's the sound you heard. I don't see how anything of that magnitude could be heard more than a mile or two away; but setting them off is disturbing the peace, as far as I'm concerned. They should be getting arrested. If anyone set one of those off near me, they'd be getting a return favor at 3 in the morning right underneath their bedroom windows... dang fools.

I'm wondering if some of these aren't incoming large meteorites; if they're coming in at a glancing blow angle, they could travel a long ways and break the sound barrier the whole way. Most people today have never heard a sonic boom; they can be quite impressive. When I was a kid, they had just figured out how to do that, and the jets were boomin' us with great regularity until people complained enough about broken windows and dishes and they put the cobosh on it. This was back in the 60s.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join