Loud boom jolts Southern Tier

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

www.wivb.com

JAMESTOWN, N.Y. (WIVB) - What was the "loud boom" numerous Chautauqua County residents say they heard Sunday evening?

News 4 received several phone calls and Facebook messages from viewers in Jamestown, Lakewood, Busti, Kennedy, Delevan, Ashville and elsewhere in Chautauqua County, describing the strange phenomena they experienced.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Used search to find this story, and nothing came up.

I live in this general area, and I also heard this loud boom yesterday at around 6pm EST. It was a big enough boom to shake the windows of my house. Apparently, USGS said that there was a small blip around that time (the article doesn't mention it, but it was mentioned on the news last night) that registered between a 1.2-1.4 range; nothing to write home about. The fact that this was heard in several counties in my area makes me wonder what happened yesterday. There were dozens of phone calls to the Sheriff's department, local police, and News 4.

I'm not writing off a possible sonic boom, but our most local airbase- Niagara Falls, has not responded to news inquiries as of yet.

On a more anecdotal level, several people were commenting on my Facebook feed that they also saw lights in the sky right around the time that this happened. I'm also wondering if we had a large meteorite break up in the atmosphere above our area. I checked heavens-above.com and didn't see anything noteworthy for our area at that time of day (I primarily use the service to track Iridium flares).

Just an interesting mystery.

ETA: I'll add more information to this thread throughout the day as I hear more from this area. I'll link some stuff from USGS in a few hours.

-TS

www.wivb.com
edit on 14-1-2013 by truthseeker1984 because: edited to add content.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Wow...that's not too far from me- I live outside Buffalo. So not close enough to hear or see anything. I didn't think anything interesting ever happened in WNY!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Hushabye

Me neither! I was shocked when I heard it. It really was loud enough to shake the windows in my house!

USGS doesn't show anything on the real-time EQ map unless it's a 2.5 or greater. The news report last night stated that they did register a blip (around a 1.2-1.4), but not enough for the real-time map to register. I'm still trying to find out more details on this story, so stay around for more details as I can get them.

-TS

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

www.wivb.com

JAMESTOWN, N.Y. (WIVB) - What was the "loud boom" numerous Chautauqua County residents say they heard Sunday evening?

News 4 received several phone calls and Facebook messages from viewers in Jamestown, Lakewood, Busti, Kennedy, Delevan, Ashville and elsewhere in Chautauqua County, describing the strange phenomena they experienced.

I live in the Jamestown NY area as well..I heard 3 to 4 LOUD BOOMS around 4o'clock yesterday afternoon..as well as my Nephew who heard them out towards Busti NY... I thought at first it was hunters...BUT not this time of year!..Fracking is not allowed around here yet...so? I dunno!
edit on 1/14/2013 by DjembeJedi because: spelling
edit on 1/14/2013 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I live in erie county, Pa, on the eastern side so im just a county over. I heard nothing nor did anyone else i know

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Are you closer to Warren? Just curious, as I have a friend that lives in Russel, Pa., and he heard the boom there. I have relatives that live in Sugar Grove and they also heard it.

In any case, this was heard throughout CHQ county, into Catt. county, and southern Erie County, NY. The CHQ Sheriff's department's phone lines were ringing off the hook for a while because people thought that a house exploded. News 4 was down in Jamestown last night reporting on it.

-TS

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

No, im a 20 minute drive away from the state line.
edit on 14-1-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

I have a friend in sheffield, ill talk with her today and find out if shes heard anything.
edit on 14-1-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Great! I'm going to make a pin map of all the locations where people heard it. I might be able to figure out where the boom originated from. I know it was REALLY strong where I live.

-TS

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

This is really weird because this morning in England around 2-3am there was a really loud boom, almost like a bomb or gunshot had gone of, it was really loud. The first thing i did was jump on ATS to see if anyone had made a thread about it.

If someone could work out the time differences and see if our times match for when the boom was heard!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DeyTookErJeobs

Now that's interesting. The boom that happened in Western New York happened at 6pm EST. You guys are ahead of us, what, 6 hours? That would put it at midnight at your location. I wonder if there is any correlation between the events?

-TS

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Hi, I live in Buffalo so I didn't hear anything, but I first heard about this event last night from a relative in MACHIAS (Lime Lake) in Northern Cattaraugus County, who posted on her facebook a post claiming she thought a house had exploded nearby. She was asking if anyone had a police scanner, she couldn't figure out what had happened!

I just wanted to let you know the location so you can add it to your map. I can't believe how widespread the noise was.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I wanted to EDIT my earlier POST it was Close to 6o'clock pm when I heard the BOOMS I had just finished dinner..Had to sit and recollect the events yesterday...So again it was around 6pm NOT 4pm as I stated earlier!

Originally posted by DjembeJedi

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

www.wivb.com

I live in the Jamestown NY area as well..I heard 3 to 4 LOUD BOOMS around 4o'clock yesterday afternoon..as well as my Nephew who heard them out towards Busti NY... I thought at first it was hunters...BUT not this time of year!..Fracking is not allowed around here yet...so? I dunno!
edit on 1/14/2013 by DjembeJedi because: spelling
edit on 1/14/2013 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This headline caught my eye this morning. Not exactly close to the area in question but I thought it would be worth mentioning. Especially if something more pops up about this.

2 Whales Wash Up on NY Beach

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Jamestown is near Buffalo, NY which is about 500 miles (8 hours) away from NYC / Long Island. I am in Western NY but about an hour east of Jamestown, it will be interesting to see what comes out of this story, if anything. I followed the news after all the loud booms occurred in WI and MN...they blamed those on fracking or small earthquakes (whether true or not).

I wanted to add too that yesterday we experienced exceptionally warm weather for Western NY over the weekend, it was almost 70 yesterday. Today it is 1/2 the temperature, more seasonal and in the 30s again. So we had some strong weather fluctuations but no thunderstorms that I am aware of.
edit on 14-1-2013 by CINY8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The Facebook page for The Post-Journal has asked people to tell them about hearing the boom.

Link

Places people are claiming to have heard it:
Lakewood
Warren PA
Busti
Greenhurst

Someone described the sound as being glass breaking or metal scraping metal?

Another poster claims a radio station is saying the sound came from an oil well burst in Busti? Cannot find anything about this at all.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We got some mysterious booms/shakings down here in the IN/KY area a few days ago as well. No real explanation ever came of it that I've heard and the story faded from the news after a few days. They said mining, military, sonic booms and earthquakes had been ruled out as causes.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Lockport here. We heard nothing. Knew nothing about it untill the report on the 12:00 news.The 12:00 news alluded to a report of some teenager detonating an explosive with a shotgun.

As for the airbase they only have C130 aircraft. Occasionally a fighter will land there to refuel, but not yesterday,Saw no aircraft activity here yesterday as they often fly practice runs overhead. They were out on friday as we saw them and heard them. C130's are pretty slow, no sonic booms from them.
edit on 1/14/2013 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Lockport here as well. According to WIVB noon news authorities had ruled out an earthquake, sonic boom or large house/industrial explosion. During the broadcast they did receive and update about a young man in Busti who shot some 'explosive' material with a shotgun. Link here: Cops: Man Shoots Target, Causes "Boom"

In the above link it states:

Police say the man told an investigator that he was in a ravine on Lawson Road in Busti, when he mixed three six-pound boxes of Tannerite together, and shot the product with a 30.06 rifle. When he shot the target shooting accessory, police say it caused a very large explosion.

While I am in no way qualified to debate the possibility that this is the real story here, it just seems a bit odd to me that if this material is so dangerous and capable of producing a 'boom' that is heard and felt over such a large area that this man whom they are questioning is in any condition whatsoever to discuss the events of yesterday with investigator. Perhaps there are those who can explain it to an extreme novice like myself? The question also needs to be asked is if this is such a dangerous material why is it so readily available at sporting goods stores as is stated in the linked article above? What exactly would this material be used for in the first place?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Looks like the case has been "solved." A kid shooting at 18 lbs of Tannerite was the culprit. Still not sure I totally buy it because of how far away this boom was heard.

www.post-journal.com...

<<   2  3 >>

join