It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question for the British People

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS and my British friends,

I have a question and I hope you can help me better understand this. My question: how does the average British citizen view the monarchy?

In 1996, I was studying at Oxford and there was some minor celebration with regards to the monarchy (I want to say it was the Queen Mother's birthday, but I honestly don't remember). The British students I was studying with were of a couple different attitudes towards the event; the most expressed attitude was one of disdain for the Royal Family and the pomp and circumstance attending the event. The other attitude was basic indifference.

In America, we don't have a Royal Family, but I guess our nearest equivalent would be Hollywood stars. Now, I personally don't follow Hollywood gossip, nor do I care who just got married, divorced, or what have you. But I do know folks who follow that information religiously; just look at all the entertainment shows and magazines that do a brisk business.

Is it the same for the Royal Family? Do you see them as (I hate to use this word, but none other comes to mind) a mascot of sorts, that represents your country, your values, your essence? Or do you see them as a hindrance, a relic, an old-fashioned way of life that doesn't impact your life at all?

Please understand, I'm asking because I want to better understand the British people. I am not asking out of disrespect, so if this post has offended you, then I apologize.

Thanks in advance,

smylee

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Personally I don't mind them in fact I respect the queen for she has done a lot for the UK.
She has put her family in harms way just as many mothers and fathers have.
They are slaves to the people really (well kept ones) It is up to them to keep our national palaces and treasures.
A bit like our mascots really.
Oh and before people come on and say we pay for them, we really don't in fact they pay the Tax people about 220 million a year not to mention they bring in money from tourists.

Oh and after this...

Every country likes a bit of national pride and I feel that when I think of our Queen, lot's of history to go with that too.

I expect a lot here will disagree with me but you will find that the queen has a great popularity rating at the moment.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 13-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

From my own personal stand point, The Royals are "Just There". They have no influence on my life apart from i pay a few quid from my taxes each year to bolster the Royal Household running costs.
They do bring in revenue to the UK in the form of tourism. Most foreign visitors who travel to the UK hope to get a glimpse of The Royals whilst they are here.
I think countries such as The US are more enthralled with The Royals than most British citizens are.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

From my own personal stand point, The Royals are "Just There". They have no influence on my life apart from i pay a few quid from my taxes each year to bolster the Royal Household running costs.
They do bring in revenue to the UK in the form of tourism. Most foreign visitors who travel to the UK hope to get a glimpse of The Royals whilst they are here.
I think countries such as The US are more enthralled with The Royals than most British citizens are.

I would agree about the US being enthralled. Every time I go to the store and see a magazine at the checkout,, chances are it has an article about Kate's latest outfit or Harry's latest scandal.

I guess its the idea that someone can be "born" into a position of such tremendous wealth and power, perhaps? Plus the notion of being a princess is one that appeals to us all, I think.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Depends on the generation of British people you're aiming at, me personally being 28 I don't really give a monkeys about them, the wedding last year was a bonus because it meant we got given a public holiday, which meant a day off to get drunk

Not a lot of the younger generation care at all who they are, they are un-important to our life's.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

You are a princess to us all here on ATS girl

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Please define "average British citizen"...

I can only speak for me and the people I know but we can't stand them... They have nothing at all to do with us and I wouldn't give them the time of day! See if they had an ounce of decency they would denounce their privilege and titles and live amongst the people, as they are just people too... I think the whole charade is a big joke!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a monarch of any figurehead should represent all the people, The Queen does not and must take a vow to protect the throne from papists. well thast me Im a catholic and all my life Ive had to pay to keep a monarchy that is anti catholic.

Its like saying all Americans should pay for the KKK and despite black people not liking the KKK or accepted as equals by the KKK they still have to pay their share.

In Britain the call it part of our tradition, well in my book tradition is just another word for bigotory,or racism.

You ask a black person what he thinks of the KKK and he will hate it' ask one of the KKKs supporters and he will say its a noble tradition.

A country that goes to war to deliver democracy and denies it to its own people.

The European court on human rights allows Briitain to discriminate against catholics.

An example is the riots in NI just now.

They are riots but the rioters are called protesters.

remember the iots in London last year' we had weekend courts night courts and people were jailed for up to 2 years.

These riots have been going on for weeks and no night or weekend courts here,

You see the Unionists are supporters of the establishment and that's the difference.

fight against the establishment and you are scum and rioters but if riot and back the establishment you are protesters with concerns. and it doe not matter how many policemen you injure.

Britain is divided and rotten to the core and untill we have an elected figurehead that represents all the people it will remain so.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think they need to move over..
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Hello BoyMonkey,

Every country likes a bit of national pride and I feel that when I think of our Queen, lot's of history to go with that too.

Yes, I can see this. That was one of the things I loved so much about my time in England...the sense of history and continuity.

I remember visiting a castle (Warwick Castle? I'm sorry, my brain isn't working and I can't remember). Anyway, behind the castle was a wall that dated back to 1066. That was incredible.

Here in America, our ancient cities are only 400 years or so old.

link   

link   
I personally couldn't care less for the monarchy. I tire of seeing them on every magazine and too many news bulletins for no other reason that the fact they are the monarchy.

They are akin to b-list celebrities, famous for nothing more than being who they are.

The only one I really have any respect for is the Queen...but only cause she did a parachute jump with 007

I think they will become less relevant as generations come and go.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Britain is divided and rotten to the core and untill we have an elected figurehead that represents all the people it will remain so.
reply to post by pavmas

Does the Prime Minister not fulfill this role? I mean, I know not everyone likes the PM (same as not every American likes Obama) but he is an elected official, correct?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
No time for the royal parasites, nor their history or ancestors!
All monachs in UK history have very dirty hands!
The french did the right thing with theirs!
They protect their bloodline at all costs to others!
They changed the law recently to enable a female succeed because KH was pregnant with a girl, which I think she lost but is now pregnant again. This was done to ensure that a soldiers son come prince whos not of the bloodline from ever becoming King.
They wacked Diana and thats just the tip of a very big iceberg.
On top of this they are German!
F..k em!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadpoolPete

Click here for more information.

And here I always thought BoyMonkey to be the epitome of politeness and well-mannered, thought provoking replies.

No need for the hate, my friend.
edit on 13/1/13 by JAK because: T&C compliant quote correction

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Hello BoyMonkey,

Yes, I can see this. That was one of the things I loved so much about my time in England...the sense of history and continuity.

I remember visiting a castle (Warwick Castle? I'm sorry, my brain isn't working and I can't remember). Anyway, behind the castle was a wall that dated back to 1066. That was incredible.

So you enjoyed the continued discrimination of me your sense of history is no equal rights for me "WHY" what have I done to you.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Thank you Smylee

Obviously on a site such as ATS Iam not going to have many people agree with my thoughts on the subject.
But I try to be at least civil, what is wrong with a bit of National pride eh?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavmas

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Hello BoyMonkey,

So you enjoyed the continued discrimination of me your sense of history is no equal rights for me "WHY" what have I done to you.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your reply.

A person can enjoy a sense of history, without being political about it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join