Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

A Question for the British People

page: 3
7
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by pavmas

Originally posted by smyleegrl



Britain is divided and rotten to the core and untill we have an elected figurehead that represents all the people it will remain so.
reply to post by pavmas
 


Does the Prime Minister not fulfill this role? I mean, I know not everyone likes the PM (same as not every American likes Obama) but he is an elected official, correct?

No
The Elected prime minister must go to Buck Place and ask The queens permission to form a government.

A president would not


I did not know this. Thank you for clarifying! I always thought the PM was in control of the country, and the monarchy were more figure heads. I didn't realize the Queen still had power.


The PM is in control of the country, this is mostly cerimonial, the Royal family has never defied the wishes of the electorate and refused to swear in a government. They never will either unless they wish to be lynched.




posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas
 


Go on pavmas, which laws would those be, that discriminate against Catholics. I am genuinely interested to know, so please educate me.



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


smylee,

I think you are asking in the wrong place if you want an accurate answer to this question. I believe many ATS'ers who are British will not appreciate our Monarchy because they are prone to believing conspiracy theorys, thats why we are here right? The truth is that most of society do not have much of an opinion on the Royals and then you get the polarised pro Royal's and Anti-Royal's of which I would say there seems to be about a 50/50 split. The last 12 months, with the Royal Wedding and the Olympics though has done the Monarchy a world of good as it has given back some national pride to some that had began to lose it.

I myself am very pro monarchy in its current format with its current incumbents. I personally think that the Royal Family keep their noses out, where it doesn't belong, whilst still providing us with a unique national identity. The Royal Family aside from a few like Andrew are great ambassedors for the UK and they work tirelessly. Our British heritidge is rich and our Monarchy is a big part of that, it is a constitutional Monarchy so that sits well with us.

You get those that moan about having to pay for them and that they are freeloaders, but the reality is that we each pay 20 pence a year towards our Monarchy in taxes and the money brought in for Tourism is exceptionally greater than what they cost us. Diplomatically as well they command a lot of respect around the globe mostly because they have done their role so well.

So be careful when you are listening to the Royal bashers on here, their voices are generally not as loud in a true cross section of British society.


lol thats like saying
Hitler kept his nose out of gassing all the jews.

They are at the very top and others suffer discrimination because of it.



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by pavmas
 


Go on pavmas, which laws would those be, that discriminate against Catholics. I am genuinely interested to know, so please educate me.


Act of Settlement 1701
www.royal.gov.uk...



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


The Royal Family are a quaint anachronism that provide some sort of cultural link to the past.

They have a purely ceremonial role.

It's true that newly appointed Prime Minister has to go to Buckingham Palace and ask 'permission' to form a government, but this is purely ceremonial.
If she was ever to deny permission it would lead to a constitutional crisis that I suspect would lead to the end of the Royal Family.

We fought a Civil War and killed a ruling a ruling monarch over this very issue - and I and many like me would be prepared to do it again if I ever thought that the Royal Family were trying to interfere in the governing of this country.

The crunch will come when Charles succeeds Liz.

Whilst Elizabeth is highly respected by many Charles is very much viewed as aloof and out of touch with the British people.
He could very easily alienate himself and subsequently diminish Royal support.

Generally speaking there is great hope for Charles son's - William and Harry.

Personally I don't really care - as long as they don't cost too much and as I said before don't interfere then I think there are far more important things that need addressing in this country.
edit on 13/1/13 by Freeborn because: Spelling, grammar, clarity etc



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by pavmas
 


Go on pavmas, which laws would those be, that discriminate against Catholics. I am genuinely interested to know, so please educate me.


Careful there Mike or this thread will get derailed into a Protestant v Catholic thread and we all know where that leads..... oh wait Ive just done it doh



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavmas

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by pavmas
 


Go on pavmas, which laws would those be, that discriminate against Catholics. I am genuinely interested to know, so please educate me.


Act of Settlement 1701
www.royal.gov.uk...


Thanks for the ancient history lesson, but I thought you were going to provide us with some "current" "laws" that discriminated against Catholics?



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l
 





I think you are asking in the wrong place if you want an accurate answer to this question. I believe many ATS'ers who are British will not appreciate our Monarchy because they are prone to believing conspiracy theorys


Can I just say you make me pretty sick sir! Trying to discredit people who disagree with you by using the magic conspiracy theory term... Listen mate I believe in conspiracy FACT, okay? Here is a few for you to digest... There may well be other events that I have my doubts about and I certainly have my doubts about "official stories" and if you could be bothered to watch this most professional documentary you might see why I am justified for that...



It is all there in one neat package, and that is just the tip of the iceberg... We have the phone hacking scandal and the cash for questions and a whole host of other things... Besides my knowledge of these conspiracy EVENTS has no bearing on my opinion of the so called royal family... Right down to the philosophical level the idea of a family claiming some right to be classed as "royal" is just plain wrong! There is no justification for it...

You are right though in one respect and that is that some British people love this ridiculous mess which is beyond me but to each their own, I will not be stolen form to give to them though or to attack other countries based on pure LIES, is that okay with you? Or do you advocate that I be kidnapped and thrown in prison for disagreeing with you?



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavmas

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


smylee,

I think you are asking in the wrong place if you want an accurate answer to this question. I believe many ATS'ers who are British will not appreciate our Monarchy because they are prone to believing conspiracy theorys, thats why we are here right? The truth is that most of society do not have much of an opinion on the Royals and then you get the polarised pro Royal's and Anti-Royal's of which I would say there seems to be about a 50/50 split. The last 12 months, with the Royal Wedding and the Olympics though has done the Monarchy a world of good as it has given back some national pride to some that had began to lose it.

I myself am very pro monarchy in its current format with its current incumbents. I personally think that the Royal Family keep their noses out, where it doesn't belong, whilst still providing us with a unique national identity. The Royal Family aside from a few like Andrew are great ambassedors for the UK and they work tirelessly. Our British heritidge is rich and our Monarchy is a big part of that, it is a constitutional Monarchy so that sits well with us.

You get those that moan about having to pay for them and that they are freeloaders, but the reality is that we each pay 20 pence a year towards our Monarchy in taxes and the money brought in for Tourism is exceptionally greater than what they cost us. Diplomatically as well they command a lot of respect around the globe mostly because they have done their role so well.

So be careful when you are listening to the Royal bashers on here, their voices are generally not as loud in a true cross section of British society.


lol thats like saying
Hitler kept his nose out of gassing all the jews.

They are at the very top and others suffer discrimination because of it.



Here you go smylee, this is the kind of person I warned you about. Anybody that displays this kind of hatred and at the same time does not provide any reasoned argument is in my opinion, not worth listening to.



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
reply to post by michael1983l
 





I think you are asking in the wrong place if you want an accurate answer to this question. I believe many ATS'ers who are British will not appreciate our Monarchy because they are prone to believing conspiracy theorys


Can I just say you make me pretty sick sir! Trying to discredit people who disagree with you by using the magic conspiracy theory term... Listen mate I believe in conspiracy FACT, okay? Here is a few for you to digest... There may well be other events that I have my doubts about and I certainly have my doubts about "official stories" and if you could be bothered to watch this most professional documentary you might see why I am justified for that...



It is all there in one neat package, and that is just the tip of the iceberg... We have the phone hacking scandal and the cash for questions and a whole host of other things... Besides my knowledge of these conspiracy EVENTS has no bearing on my opinion of the so called royal family... Right down to the philosophical level the idea of a family claiming some right to be classed as "royal" is just plain wrong! There is no justification for it...

You are right though in one respect and that is that some British people love this ridiculous mess which is beyond me but to each their own, I will not be stolen form to give to them though or to attack other countries based on pure LIES, is that okay with you? Or do you advocate that I be kidnapped and thrown in prison for disagreeing with you?


I don't think he meant it that way, at least that's not the way I took it.

You have to admit, ATS has some kooks on it. Present company excepted, of course. He was just cautioning that some of the answers I receive might not truly represent the majority of British citizen's views on the monarchy. I don't think he was trying to take a hit at conspiracy theories.

And that is a very good documentary; I've only managed the first twenty-five minutes so far. Have to watch it in stages, its too upsetting otherwise.



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by pavmas

Originally posted by smyleegrl



Britain is divided and rotten to the core and untill we have an elected figurehead that represents all the people it will remain so.
reply to post by pavmas
 


Does the Prime Minister not fulfill this role? I mean, I know not everyone likes the PM (same as not every American likes Obama) but he is an elected official, correct?

No
The Elected prime minister must go to Buck Place and ask The queens permission to form a government.

A president would not


I did not know this. Thank you for clarifying! I always thought the PM was in control of the country, and the monarchy were more figure heads. I didn't realize the Queen still had power.


She has to pen it, here is the video, and she can close it if she wants, we only have this so called democracy because the monachy allow us to have it.

backers of the Monarch will tell you its only for tourism which is lies its all enshrined in law.

www.youtube.com...



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l
 


Catholics are the largest minority in the UK.

Catholics are the only religion legally prohibited from marrying into The Royal Family and holding 'office'.

All Prime Ministers are unofficially required to be Church Of England.

Tony Blair had to wait until he was no longer Prime Minister before he was able to announce that he had decided to join the Roman Catholic Church.



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


The Royal Family are a quaint anachronism that provide some sort of cultural link to the past.

They have a purely ceremonial role.

It's true that newly appointed Prime Minister has to go to Buckingham Palace and ask 'permission' to form a government, but this is purely ceremonial.
If she was ever to deny permission it would lead to a constitutional crisis that I suspect would lead to the end of the Royal Family.

We fought a Civil War and killed a ruling a ruling monarch over this very issue - and I and many like me would be prepared to do it again if I ever thought that the Royal Family were trying to interfere in the governing of this country.

The crunch will come when Charles succeeds Liz.

Whilst Elizabeth is highly respected by many Charles is very much viewed as aloof and out of touch with the British people.
He could very easily alienate himself and subsequently diminish Royal support.

Generally speaking there is great hope for Charles son's - William and Harry.

Personally I don't really care - as long as they don't cost too much and as I said before don't interfere then I think there are far more important things that need addressing in this country.
edit on 13/1/13 by Freeborn because: Spelling, grammar, clarity etc


At one time I heard that Charles might not be the next King, that the succession might skip him and go straight to William.

Any possibility of this?



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The second in line to the UK throne is currently on secondment to the Royal Air Force from the Army as Search and Rescue (SAR) Aircrew, and as I understand it the third in line is on operational deployment in Afghanistan. Would the the incumbent President, and Vice President of the US be doing simmilar things.



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30
 


I think you are mis-interperating my comments. First of all I am lumping myself in their with the Conspiracy Theorists, that is why I do post here. And secondly it isn't a statement about who's opinion is right or wrong but more a statement that you are likely to get more of one opinion than another due to the nature of poster this site normally attracts.



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn
 


Thanks for the education, can you please let me know which specific law this is, so that I can research it?

I would agree that if this law does indeed exist and is enforced, then we need to petition to change it. Are there any other laws that you would say discriminate against Catholics?

And for Pavmas, as I understand the laws of this nation are the responsibility of the Houses of Parliment and House of Commons who are all elected officials. If this law does exists and it looks likely it does, then the blame should be placed on the PM and his government for not changing it, the Current Royal Family did not make this law and they have no direct influence to change it either.
edit on 13-1-2013 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Do you see them as (I hate to use this word, but none other comes to mind) a mascot of sorts, that represents your country, your values, your essence?


You're funny, I like that


Being Scottish by birth I can't say that I buy into all this (english) monarchy thing. Just recently I've been reading a very interesting and entertaining blog by a guy who has a quite, shall we say 'radical' views on the monarchy.

Please Be Warned- VERY Foul Language And Controversial Content Ahead...
Here's the link...Chris Spivey: Monarchy



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
The second in line to the UK throne is currently on secondment to the Royal Air Force from the Army as Search and Rescue (SAR) Aircrew, and as I understand it the third in line is on operational deployment in Afghanistan. Would the the incumbent President, and Vice President of the US be doing simmilar things.


In a word....no.

In fact, quite a few of our former Presidents are accused of doing their best to not serve in the military.



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl
 




At one time I heard that Charles might not be the next King, that the succession might skip him and go straight to William.

Any possibility of this?


I honestly don't know.

There are many who advocate that Charles should indeed step aside and let William take the throne.
But there are also many who advocate that due process and protocol should be followed and Charles should take his turn.

There have even been rumours that Liz would abdicate in favour of Charles before he was too old to reign but I think this has been pretty much dismissed.

I suspect that Charles will follow Elizabeth but to be honest I'm no great expert on the Royal Family - I try to keep abreast of the news and developments etc but as I said before, as long as they cost me very little and they don't try to interfere I'm pretty much apathetic towards them and generally view them as an irrelevance other than their ceremonial duties etc.



posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by pavmas

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


smylee,

I think you are asking in the wrong place if you want an accurate answer to this question. I believe many ATS'ers who are British will not appreciate our Monarchy because they are prone to believing conspiracy theorys, thats why we are here right? The truth is that most of society do not have much of an opinion on the Royals and then you get the polarised pro Royal's and Anti-Royal's of which I would say there seems to be about a 50/50 split. The last 12 months, with the Royal Wedding and the Olympics though has done the Monarchy a world of good as it has given back some national pride to some that had began to lose it.

I myself am very pro monarchy in its current format with its current incumbents. I personally think that the Royal Family keep their noses out, where it doesn't belong, whilst still providing us with a unique national identity. The Royal Family aside from a few like Andrew are great ambassedors for the UK and they work tirelessly. Our British heritidge is rich and our Monarchy is a big part of that, it is a constitutional Monarchy so that sits well with us.

You get those that moan about having to pay for them and that they are freeloaders, but the reality is that we each pay 20 pence a year towards our Monarchy in taxes and the money brought in for Tourism is exceptionally greater than what they cost us. Diplomatically as well they command a lot of respect around the globe mostly because they have done their role so well.

So be careful when you are listening to the Royal bashers on here, their voices are generally not as loud in a true cross section of British society.


lol thats like saying
Hitler kept his nose out of gassing all the jews.

They are at the very top and others suffer discrimination because of it.



Here you go smylee, this is the kind of person I warned you about. Anybody that displays this kind of hatred and at the same time does not provide any reasoned argument is in my opinion, not worth listening to.



M I hope that was not aimed at me.

I love my country' I have never backed any unjust laws.
Its the fact that my country hates me and feels that it okay to keep 300 year discrimination laws in place in 2013 denying me equal rights to my next door neighbour I have problems with.

And any right thinking person can see this as unjust, it creates divison and a sense of superiority on one side and a sense of loathing on the other.

Why would a country continue to support such injustice.






top topics



 
7
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join



atslive.com

hi-def

low-def