It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15-year old boy uses AR-15 to defend himself, sister against home invaders

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I think her point was more the double standard that some Americans live by, that aren't as knowledgeable as you are. You and I recognized what was in the pictures, but some make a judgement based on nothing more than appearance, with no knowledge. Although the masks kind of gave the first one away. Not too hard to figure out.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

What's this with "assault rifle?" This is a semi-auto rifle, not an assault rifle. Stop letting the media buzzwords invade your brain, man!

The AR-15 is a semi-automatic version of the M16. The only real difference is the semi-automatic nature of the weapon. An no, the AR doesn't stand for assult rifle, but the grand consensus, up until the latest garbage, is that it's an assault rifle.

The select fire version was sold to the US Army as the m16. So I guess the army doesn't use assault weapons either, they just use long arm rifles... Arguing semantics gets us no where

so, what exactly would you call it? A hunting rifle? It's an assault rifle, get over it.

good on the parents for teaching the kid how to handle a gun responsibly. Seeing as everyone is ok with that, and claims to already do that, I assume you'd all be ok with more government oversight over that, on par with drivers licenses and such?

Taking guns away won't help. Better control over who has them, and a system to ensure they know how to use and maintain them responsibly, could go miles.

Food for thought. If I owned a gun for home protection, I'd probably lean towards a hand gun like a glock or maybe a small shotgun, and yes, it would be within a few feet of my bed with at the very least a trigger lock...

Because I'd rather not be murdered with my own gun, for starters, and would shudder at the thought of my gun being stolen and used during a crime.

edit on 11-1-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by TinkerHaus

What's this with "assault rifle?" This is a semi-auto rifle, not an assault rifle. Stop letting the media buzzwords invade your brain, man!

The AR-15 is a semi-automatic version of the M16. The only real difference is the semi-automatic nature of the weapon. An no, the AR doesn't stand for assult rifle, but the grand consensus, up until the latest garbage, is that it's an assault rifle.

The select fire version was sold to the US Army as the m16. So I guess the army doesn't use assault weapons either, they just use long arm rifles... Arguing semantics gets us no where

so, what exactly would you call it? A hunting rifle? It's an assault rifle, get over it.

good on the parents for teaching the kid how to handle a gun responsibly. Seeing as everyone is ok with that, and claims to already do that, I assume you'd all be ok with more government oversight over that, on par with drivers licenses and such?

Taking guns away won't help. Better control over who has them, and a system to ensure they know how to use and maintain them responsibly, could go miles.

Food for thought. If I owned a gun for home protection, I'd probably lean towards a hand gun like a glock or maybe a small shotgun, and yes, it would be within a few feet of my bed with at the very least a trigger lock...

Because I'd rather not be murdered with my own gun, for starters, and would shudder at the thought of my gun being stolen and used during a crime.

edit on 11-1-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

Personally, I don't believe in your theory on how a hand gun is more effective, considering handguns are harder to maintain a stable shot pattern. If you really want to protect yourself, you'd get a pistol caliber carbine, such as a keltec sub2000 or a hi-point .45 carbine

It's what I'd do if I couldn't afford an AR-15, but ultimately it isn't about gun control, it's about eventual total confiscation. They are incrementally assaulting the 2nd amendment.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
IMHO an AR-15 or similar is not a responsible home defense weapon. You can fire through your home, into other rooms with family or into a neighbors home. I don't use 00 buck shot for the same reason.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Right you are El Presidente!
Not only are they in the dark about self defense, they don't use proper english (not that I'm a great example).
I tire of seeing this (wrong) usage: More sufficient.
It is either sufficient or insufficient, not more sufficient or less sufficient.
Same for perfect, a thing is either perfect, or imperfect, not more perfect or less perfect,
(the founding fathers used the phrase "more perfect" to describe the union, they were statesmen, not english majors).
Too bad we are not allowed to use deadly force for incorrect grammar.
I keed, I keed!
Stay up player!

edit on 11-1-2013 by Luminaught because: Because I LIKE to edit....okay? Geez.

edit on 11-1-2013 by Luminaught because: No real reason...I just like editing.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PLAYERONE01

Well, it DID sort of end in a blood bath...but the right people were bleeding!

Gun Control means hitting what you aim at.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Are you familiar with the RAAC MKA 1919?
The MKA 1919 is an AR15 variant, and is chambered for 3 inch 12 guage shells.
The AR15 may be chambered in just about any centerfire cartridge one wishes.
A 9MM pistol round has the same problem as an AR chambered for 223, as it fires a high velocity round(certainly not as "hot" as the nato round though).
Even the old standard, the ACP45 will go through most walls, and the 45 is delivering a 230 grain load at sub-sonic velocity.
The best rule is to teach fire control and situational awareness.
00 buck is not a great round for home defense, unless you live alone, and not in an apartment (those paper thin walls always bothered me).
You are spot on about using a lighter load for home defense.
A #6 or even a #7 is a good load for inside the home, although these shells are for bird hunting (or sporting clays), at the range they would be used in for home defense they would deliver sufficient mass at super-sonic speeds (1550 FPS) to deal with criminals in one's home.
While the lighter loads might still penetrate thin walls, once on the other side the knockdown power would be far less, and probably sting more than penetrate.

Lizard King=King Lizard?
I KNEW Jim Morrison wasn't dead!

edit on 11-1-2013 by Luminaught because: 'Cause editing is my "thing".

edit on 11-1-2013 by Luminaught because: Just for the thrill.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Jim Lives! One of my favorite.

I use buck #4 (i have a pistol grip) on my 970 express. Need to get low recoil though for home defense. I also have other weapons but I feel they are too powerful to prevent over penetration. Hopefully #4 will mitigate that.

I conceal carry every day...every day with a Beretta .40 mini cougar with a CrossBreed Holster. Best holster I have ever used, I don't even notice my sidearm throughout the day.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Jim Lives! One of my favorite.

I use buck #4 (i have a pistol grip) on my 970 express. Need to get low recoil though for home defense. I also have other weapons but I feel they are too powerful to prevent over penetration. Hopefully #4 will mitigate that.

I conceal carry every day...every day with a Beretta .40 mini cougar with a CrossBreed Holster. Best holster I have ever used, I don't even notice my sidearm throughout the day.

Glad to see you making good choices, AND being one who understands the responsibilities of self defense.
I've always liked the 40, and it is a very good choice for CC, my mate prefers a 38 but I've seen 38 rounds deflected by windshields, not a common occurance, but not unheard of.
I worry about my daughter in law's carry piece, she is a LEO, and works UC. She used to carry a 32 because it was easier to conceal than her Glock 9MM (she now carries a P.P. Detective Special 38).
I made her a concealment rig which is very well hidden(she can be frisked without most officers finding her weapon).
I'd still like for her to carry a heavier weapon on her usual duty assignments, but she believes the 38 is enough, and to be honest she has successfully used the 38 on duty.
I guess parents, and even parents in law, always want perfect safety for their kids.
My best 38 story?
I saw a fat guy in a bathtub get two scars on his sides and back from a 38 round that was shot at him when he was in the bathtub...the assailant "pulled" off target and the round hit the bathtub and made two complete circles, it was in contact with the "victim" 6 times, and still wound up hitting the shooter exactly at center of mass...damndest approach to suicide I ever saw.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8bitPaladin
My daughter as she gets older, will be in line for martial arts training, (mostly likely judo and jiu-jitsu) She will also know how to use a firearm, which will progressively get larger as she has the strength to handle them, and she will be taught along with that, discipline, moral and ethical understanding, and a love for her fellow human being. The world is going to get ugly in the next couple of years, the only way to not get ugly with it, is to defend your way of life, and the ability to not turn to criminal acts just to survive. Hell if it was available, i would want her to know GunKatta : )

Agreed. I have daughters who are not to the age of reason, but once they get there, I will start training them as well.

BTW, Equilibrium is one of my favorite movies. I have it on DVD. Highly recommend everyone watch it.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
A pistol would not have been better. My wife can handle my shotgun and my AR better than she handles my 40 cal. My son's girlfriend weighs about 105 pounds soaking wet and she likes shooting my AR better than the pistol. Also, for those that think you can't hunt with an AR 15, think again. I have several friends that take their kids hunting and they use the AR 15 because of less recoil and better control for a smaller person.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreammerchant
A pistol would not have been better. My wife can handle my shotgun and my AR better than she handles my 40 cal. My son's girlfriend weighs about 105 pounds soaking wet and she likes shooting my AR better than the pistol. Also, for those that think you can't hunt with an AR 15, think again. I have several friends that take their kids hunting and they use the AR 15 because of less recoil and better control for a smaller person.

Interesting how we now have several people come into this thread with personal testimonials of how children and women prefer the increased control and decreased recoil of an AR over certain handguns yet at the same time we have some ATS members coming in here claiming (with no experience) how it is crazy to teach an offspring to defend with an AR and at the same time, somehow not crazy to teach them to use a handgun.

Experience, meet non-experience.

I'm tired of the party rhetoric.

Great posts by you and luminaught, I starred every one of them because they made so much sense.
edit on 11-1-2013 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Just treat it like a civil conversations...an exchange of ideas and experiences. Maybe we can all learn a little...nobody knows everything. Personally I'm open to new ideas...I'm sure you know the older you become the more you realize how little you know.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Thanks a million El Presidente!
If you know my deleted post history you'll understand how come I really need all the stars I can get.
I was glad to be able to star your own post as well as many others!
It seems we on ATS are more aware than the GDP(generally dumb public) of the rights and responsibilities of self defense.
ATS folk always manage to make me proud to be a member!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Best.
Movie.
Suggestion.
In.
Years!

6TH!

I'm gratified to read of your approach to parenting.
Self defense is the highest law of nature.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
He could have used a handgun to defend against 2 invaders but what if it had been a whole gang? The AR is certainly a defensive weapon because the best defense is a good offense (ie, counter offensive).

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join