It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina teacher suspended for stomping on an American flag

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sorry, I don't care if its legal not you don't do that to the American Flag in my book.
If I see doing that to a flag in my presence, I'm gonna act, if that happened in my class, you'd be damn sure I'd jump up and do something
That's why this country is going to crap, no one gives a damn anymore
"It's just a piece of fabric" I'm sick of hearing that crap, it represents the country I'm damn proud to be living in.
Now, don't twist my sense of patriotism to loving my govt, that I despise, I hate my govt and how it's destroying us as we'll.
Glad that dirtbag teacher is suspended, hope he loses his job

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Let me know how that goes when you try to arrest someone for it.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Ah another Jihadist.....

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

ASHEVILLE — A couple who said they were protesting the state of the country by flying the U.S. flag upside down with signs pinned to it found themselves in jail following a scuffle with a deputy Wednesday morning.
Mark and Deborah Kuhn were arrested on two counts of assault on a government employee, resisting arrest and a rarely used charge, desecrating an American flag, all misdemeanors. The Kuhns were released from custody Wednesday afternoon.

www.citizen-times.com...

PEOPLE....do yourselves a favor and CHECK to make sure what you are saying is real....I WILL.....

A Cape Girardeau, Mo., man arrested for desecrating an American flag must be paid $7,000 in compensatory damages, a federal judge has ruled.
In October 2009, Frank L. Snider III attempted to burn a flag in his yard. Unable to ignite a flame, Snider took a knife and shredded the flag. He then allegedly threw pieces of the flag into the street. A neighbor called the police.

Police officer Matthew Peters arrested Snider and took him to jail for violating a Missouri flag-desecration law. Snider spent more than seven hours in jail before being released. The prosecutor dismissed the charges after realizing the Missouri state law was likely unconstitutional.
www.firstamendmentcenter.org...

It was a FORMALITY to give him compensation. Missouri could have said, NO, in Missouri we will arrest people for being idiots.

edit on 10-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
PEOPLE....do yourselves a favor and CHECK to make sure what you are saying is real....I WILL.....

Really?

All charges in the case of activists Mark and Deborah Kuhn, arrested on July 25 in an incident involving alleged flag desecration are being dropped, Buncombe County Sheriff Van Duncan announced this afternoon. An internal investigation of the arrests is continuing.

www.mountainx.com...

Point.
Set.
Match.

edit on 10-1-2013 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Really?

All charges in the case of activists Mark and Deborah Kuhn, arrested on July 25 in an incident involving alleged flag desecration are being dropped, Buncombe County Sheriff Van Duncan announced this afternoon. An internal investigation of the arrests is continuing.

www.mountainx.com...

Point.
Set.
Match.

Just because these charges were dropped doesnt mean they cant charge someone else right?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

It was a FORMALITY to give him compensation. Missouri could have said, NO, in Missouri we will arrest people for being idiots.

Show me where it says that states MUST follow the federal government.

Such a clause does not exist. There is no formal sanction for a state not respecting federal rules.

Go ahead look. It doesnt exist...

point set blah blah childish nonsense

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
I hope he never gets to teach again

Thank God it is not up to people like you.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

It is up to people like me... hes been suspended and will probably get fired
edit on 10-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Recently Aaron Sandusky was arrested for growing legal marijuana in his state of California. He was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison.

There is no formal sanction for a state not respecting federal rules.

Tell that to Mr. Sandusky.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

It is up to people like me obviously hes been suspended and will probably get fired

And then have a HUGE payday when it's all said and done........

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

is HE a state?

No. The state COULD have stepped in and said, no, we will allow people to be idiots and do drugs...they did not is all.

If they did, the federal government would then say please and wait for a response.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Such a clause does not exist. There is no formal sanction for a state not respecting federal rules.

Go ahead look. It doesnt exist...

point set blah blah childish nonsense

From your very own link, bolding mine.

On Dec. 14, Jackson determined the amount of damages in her opinion in Snider v. City of Cape Girardeau. She wrote “that plaintiff [Snider] is entitled to an award of compensatory damages for the deprivation of his liberty ´resulting from Peters’ actions.” She set the damage award at $7,000, noting that Snider was in jail for about seven hours.

Jackson refused to award Snider punitive damages, which are damages designed to punish the wrongdoer. Under Missouri law, punitive damages are awarded when a defendant acts from a bad motive or with callous indifference to another’s rights. Jackson deemed that Peters’ actions did not rise to that level.

“The police officer never had any training on the First Amendment,” said Tony Rothert, legal director of the ACLU of Eastern Missouri, who represented Snider. “Rudimentary training would have prevented this case.

No, they weren't nice to snider, and gave him money. they were going for "he didn't know better" to the guy who arrested him!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

It is up to people like me obviously hes been suspended and will probably get fired

And then have a HUGE payday when it's all said and done........

yeah hell probably win a law suit against the government.. I really doubt it

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

yeah hell probably win a law suit against the government.. I really doubt it

The government didn't suspend him nor will they be the ones to fire him.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by narwahl

YET, he was arrested and the PROSECUTOR found out later it was unconstitutional....NO FEDERAL intervention there. They only ADVISED as to what compensation should be.

not to mention the laws are still on the books. THEY ARE STATE LAW.

and you guys are extremely ignorant of how our government exists. Have you ever even READ the us constitution?

You talk about constitutionality, yet have no idea the very nature of our government.

I love using those sites BTW. They do all the work when trying to spin bias on the truth.....

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

You talk about constitutionality, yet have no idea the very nature of our government.

Yet you want to destroy someone elses life just because you don't agree with them and they desecrated your symbol.

Just like a crazy Muslim would......

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

is HE a state?

No. The state COULD have stepped in and said, no, we will allow people to be idiots and do drugs...they did not is all.

If they did, the federal government would then say please and wait for a response.

Article VI, Clause II

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

I again bolded the important part for your convenience.

Protip: If a politician says "This is a state rights issue" it translates into english "We don't have the votes to do this federally, but there are a few statehouses where we might get it through."
edit on 10-1-2013 by narwahl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
He may have the right to stomp on the flag, but, that right does not extend to him doing it at his place of employment. His employer too exception to his act, thus his suspension. The Supreme Court has ruled that a Public School is not a public place. That's it plain and simple.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by narwahl

Is that the US constitution which sets AGREEMENTS that each state and federal entity follows/ which if it does not is Breach of contract and so is owed and owes nothing....is that the CONTRACT it is?

Why yes it is.

Same way we agreed to sign it validating the contractual agreement that establishes the federal government in that particular state, it can be withdrawn.

continue reading instead of cherry picking.
We don't even need to secede. We can just not follow their rules in favor of our own.

Again, show me the consequences to any state for defying any federal provision.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join