It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush website blocking foreign IPs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The website, www.georgewbush.com... , is blocking foreign IPs.

Here's a story on it:

Network World Fusion
Net surfers outside the U.S. interested in U.S. President George Bush's re-election strategy aren't currently able to learn about it from his campaign Web site. Visitors from a number of international locations reported hitting "access denied" errors as they tried to reach the site on Tuesday.

I just tried to access it and I get the following message:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.georgewbush.com/" on this server.

Why would they try and block foreigners from getting to that site?

Apparently, the external link for accepting donations is still open to everyone, including foreigners.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
You are not authorized to view this primate.
You might not have permission to view this monkey business using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this chimpanzee, please try to contact the Web site by using any nosepicking or self-soiling signal that may be listed on the www.georgewbush.com home page.

You can click Search to look for more propaganda on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Hmmmm...its eerily easy to control the Internet, isnt it?

Hope this isnt a prelude of more control from now on . Makes you wonder.
This president is changing this world, rules, laws, freedom of speech, you name it.

What is going to become of us....

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I just got that as well. I take it our US members can still access?

I wonder what the reason for that is.... ?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I wonder if Kerrys is still available to the world????

Has someone tried?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Hmmmm...its eerily easy to control the Internet, isnt it?

Hope this isnt a prelude of more control from now on . Makes you wonder.
This president is changing this world, rules, laws, freedom of speech, you name it.

What is going to become of us....

This isn't really any special form of internet control. Anyway computer/server can block any IP addresses it wants from accessing it assuming it has the correct software (a firewall for instance).

-Attero

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I wonder if Kerrys is still available to the world????

Has someone tried?

Just tried it. Working fine.

[edit on 26-10-2004 by kegs]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Technical information for georgewbush.com:

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to www.internic.net...
for detailed information.

Domain Name: GEORGEWBUSH.COM
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: www.networksolutions.com...
Name Server: NS1.CHA.SMARTECHCORP.NET
Name Server: A.NS.TRESPASSERS-W.NET
Updated Date: 18-jun-2003
Creation Date: 05-may-1997
Expiration Date: 06-may-2008

The first nameserver, Smartech Corporation is based in Tennessee.
The second nameserver,Trespassers-w.net is quite interesting.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   

HE Piglet lived in a very grand house in the middle of a beech-tree, and the beech-tree was in the middle of the forest, and the Piglet lived in the middle of the house. Next to his house was a piece of broken board which had: "TRESPASSERS W" on it. When Christopher Robin asked the Piglet what it meant, he said it was his grandfather's name, and had been in the family for a long time. Christopher Robin said you couldn't be called Trespassers W, and Piglet said yes, you could, because his grandfather was, and it was short for Trespassers Will, which was short for Trespassers William. And his grandfather had had two names in case he lost one�Trespassers after an uncle, and William after Trespassers.

"I've got two names," said Christopher Robin carelessly.

"Well, there you are, that proves it," said Piglet.

What the hell? What's that all about?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Titian, thats a little bizarre, i agree

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I think there are talking about disinfo

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
If you click on the spiral thing under that strange Pooh spiel it takes you to this company:

www.cross-cc.com...

Some IT company�s idea of 'quirkiness' I suppose

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by titian

If you type the first name server in the address bar it takes you here,

a.ns.trespassers-w.net...

to some site called coptix?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
double post, got disconnected

might as well make use of it:

Coptix Inc.
4300 Alabama Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37409

[edit on 26-10-2004 by kegs]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by titian

What the heck is up with that?
Strange IT humor I guess.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I tried to access the url from Aust' I.P. about 30min ago and here's what i got.

Sanc'.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well, I just went to it. Nothing special that the world and the US havent known. Not like they are hiding anything.

Why would foreigners want to access Bush's website anyway? Nothing on there you cant pick up a million other places.

My guess as to why it has been blocked is perhaps there have been many foreign attempts to hack into the website, maybe to deface it with something funny, crash it, ect. Thats about the about the only reason i can think of.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
John to Terry, "Well we knocked him off the net...plan B now?"

Sanc'.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Yeah, I've been proxying to the site from time to time too.

You goto know, its not only certain sites that got blocked for europe, but also access to US smtp servers is restricted. I can't send mail trough my US smtp server without proxying it.

To find out the specifics and maybe get a bypass set for me I went to the US embassy and asked about it. I supplied the needed documents to show I'm a US citizen and then at the end they asked me if I'm registered to vote and if I would vote for Bush.

The answer was "yes, I'm registered" and "thats between me and the voting booth, sorry"

The last answer led them to understand that it was propably a "no" to the vote for bush and they told me they couldn't help.

Some people say its to go against hacking from abroad, but you can't block hack attacks or DoS's by blocking site content from being viewed, not even by blocking full IP access to the servers. Hacking is done to bypasses the blocks and security and DoS attacks storm servers with requests, they don't require content to be served.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Yeah, I've been proxying to the site from time to time too.

You goto know, its not only certain sites that got blocked for europe, but also access to US smtp servers is restricted. I can't send mail trough my US smtp server without proxying it.

To find out the specifics and maybe get a bypass set for me I went to the US embassy and asked about it. I supplied the needed documents to show I'm a US citizen and then at the end they asked me if I'm registered to vote and if I would vote for Bush.

The answer was "yes, I'm registered" and "thats between me and the voting booth, sorry"

The last answer led them to understand that it was propably a "no" to the vote for bush and they told me they couldn't help.

Some people say its to go against hacking from abroad, but you can't block hack attacks or DoS's by blocking site content from being viewed, not even by blocking full IP access to the servers. Hacking is done to bypasses the blocks and security and DoS attacks storm servers with requests, they don't require content to be served.

Please tell me you joke when they asked you about your voting habits and who you vote for.

The American Embassy actually asked you this? DOCUMENT it. get other people to go there. With tape recorders, ect. get this news out there!

Those kind of queastions are inappropriate, as the job of the American Embassy is to offer help and support for Americans living abroad, establish diplomatic contacts with host nations, and resolve issues.

Voter inquiries and the like are NOT part of their job, and if they are indeed doing this, those officals need to be reported ASAP!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join