It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturn, Not Like Before.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Watch an apple tree for about 10 years...You are guaranteed to see an apple fall. Now, was it because time, matured the apple, so that much like the child leaves the household, so too does the apple detach itself from the tree, or was it gravity?

*sigh*

The apple fell because, over TIME, the stem weakened and was no longer able to resist the force of... GRAVITY.

Which, much like everything else in this thread, has little to do with what you were responding to.

Will gravity be the same 10,000 years from now? We don't know. All signs point to the force of gravity being a static force since a few billionths of a second after the big bang, and nothing so far suggests that's going to change.

Since this thread has turned into just a bunch of crap, here's some food for thought...

Get a magnet and something metallic. Hold the magnet close enough to the object that it lifts up because of the magnetism and clings to the magnet.

You just watched a tiny little object overpower the gravity of the entire planet. Isn't science neat?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

as far as our scientist were concerned there was no chance of any moon round a planet having any activity......they were dead rocky moons......nothing intresting to see there but low and behold they have to think again.

That's how science works... am I missing something or are you?

A hypothesis is proposed. From that a theory is drafted. From experimentation and investigation, facts are discovered that can either align with the theory, or modify it.

Science isn't about saying this is how i think it works. Science is about saying, lets figure out how it works.

I'm very very scared for the future of humanity.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I can only take so much from a post, I will continue with this one another time, my sides now ache too much.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Just want to mention to all you guys desperately trying to talk some sense,

You cannot rationalise with a person who doesn't understand logic.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
i miss when saturn ruled the sky...

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The opening of the original post opens with: "I imagine..." Enough said. You can imagine all you want. Now you have something to try and prove. It all starts with an imagination.

Nice photos.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by minnow

its about recreating shapes in motion in non solid matter.

so its an uncommon shape but not unusual

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Saturn is a "brown dwarf" star. EVERY ancient culture says that Saturn USED TO BE THE SUN.

This is the funniest thread I have read in a long time. Thank you OP.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
scienceforkids.kidipede.com...

Maybe is will make it understandable for you. It doesn't use to many big words

ahaha. "Science for kids". THAT should be a front page article on ATS.

Reminds me of a buddy of mine. We were talking the other day, and it came up in conversation that he thought the sun rotates around the Earth.

I found this absolutely baffling, since I have known the opposite to be true since I was all of 5 years old.

Goes to show that some people dont think about and/or cant comprehend facts of life and science that some of us take for granted.

I laughed at him, and tried to explain how gravity works, and he got offended. Reminds me of the OP, anywhoo.
edit on 8-1-2013 by SPACEYstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Although very far fetched, I liked this post. Your sense of imagination is refreshing. Besides, we have to always remember to question modern science. We can't rely on NASA all of the time. (Never A Straight Answer) I don't know that I believe there are "people" on Saturn but I admire your courage for stating your ideas!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
If you ask an honest scientist what gravity is, the answer is always, I do not know.
edit on 8-1-2013 by TRUELIES11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I just came from the Doctor Who forum, so reading the OP was like a story line for an episode.. Then I remembered this is an actual theory and that people think this is actually happening..

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRUELIES11
If you ask an honest scientist what gravity is, the answer is always, I do not know.
edit on 8-1-2013 by TRUELIES11 because: (no reason given)

Yes, but nobody asks "what gravity is". That is, as of yet, a redundant question.

Ask a scientist how gravity works and you will get a fundamentally different answer...

What empty, thoughtless comments you make.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I liked the OP good questions and why not, although the thread got too confusing due to too many people stating he was wrong, then arguing with each other. Best solution send someone up there to look then we'll know, no one really will know until then!!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Wow, my brain hurts. I do have some questions if anyone can answer them for me.

First- If Saturn is all gas, then where are the people that live there getting their raw materials (solids) to make planets or moons?

Secondly- How do the people who live on Saturn overcome the atmospheric pressure? If there is a solid, earth-like core way down in there, wouldn't the atmospheric pressure just crush anyone walking around out there? (And I do think there is a core of some type because asteroid and comet impacts would bring some solids to the planet that would probably coalesce over time.)

Third- I am probably a dummy, but I just don't understand the deductions of the giant storm's movements. I mean, any circular object that is spinning will spin faster at the outside than in the center. That's because point A at the center is traveling a much shorter distance than a point B at the outside. Think of a car tire.

It's threads like this that make me think I am really really stupid. Just when I think I have a handle on the basics of physics something like this comes along and BAM just blows my mind! HA HA Thanks for indulging me!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I have a question.

If we ever learn how to create fusion reactors, one thing I've heard is that we could scoop up hydrogen in space to fuel the reaction. Since there's lots of hydrogen on Saturn, could you park your spaceship in its atmosphere and scoop up hydrogen? Or would it make more sense to scoop it up somewhere else, like in open space or on an asteroid?

What I want to ask is is there a reason to EVER place a spaceship inside a gas giant?

And could there be rare places in its atmosphere where the temperature is higher? I know that the temperature is supposed to be something like -100 to -100 celsius which is too cold for life. But might there be areas near the storms or near concentrations of energy where the temperature is higher?

And is it possible the universal gravitational constant is not constant? I am referencing g = G * M / R^2.

g = gravity
G = universal gravitational constant
M = mass of body (like a planet)
R^2 = radius of planet (metres)

This is a classic question. When students enter physics they often ask how science knows that certain things are constants. They'll play god with the equations for fun. This is because there're a decent number of them. Whether it's the form of the equation (the sequence and number of operations) or a constant ratio (sort of like PI). If the equations are different in another part of the universe somehow then we could end up with a part of the universe which behaves differently.

I think it's interesting to note that while Saturn has a gravity at its surface roughly equal to earth (something like 0.92 earth gravtiy), it would be much harder to reach escape velocity because the gravity well on saturn is deeper. I think what this means is since the planet has a larger radius it will require more energy to escape. It may also relate to the combined weight of the atmosphere of Saturn on the surface of its heavier core, since that's what you're launching from. I confess I don't know hte details of how it all works and I'm probably wrong on many points.

I'll admit the OP is crazy, but I really am coming at this from a different direction. Rather than only focusing on what he argues, why not bring up other things? Like if an advanced civilization existed, could they use the gas giants in a system for anything in particular? And if we're wrong about certain thigns in our cosmos, what might they likely be and what effect might that have?
edit on 8-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Jupiter's atmosphere is rich in Helium-3, one of those expensive limited valuable resources that humanity so enjoys.

Resources, resources, resources. The solar system is filled with them, you just need to know where to look.

I imagine every planet has something to offer.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Since a topic about life of Saturn has come up .. what do you guys think about "The Ringmakers of Saturn" by Norman R bergrun. He seems to believe there are EMV orbiting saturn!! and he is no random conspiracy theorist !! Check out his credentials!!

What do you guys think!!?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join