It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

Exactly. Argentina does not really care about the islands and they certainly do not care about its people.

Every time Argentina goes through tough times or an election is around the corner, the same argument is brought up.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Even at the time of the first war we knew the sea bed was full of oil and gas we just couldn't extract it at the time. now that technology is progressing its a lot more feasable to start extracting it....Hense the posturing from both sides.

Being the cynic thatI am I can't help that feel this is all about money and a political chance for the leaders of each country to get some brain dead herp derp patriotism going within the home populations.

If the people of the uk had any sense of patriotism we would be demanding an end to a 30 year property bubble and to the right of living free within our own land.

Also.... happy new year ats.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

I think some in Britain living in the past ,its the year 2013 not 1513,my guedness!!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by loooping8

Explain that please, all this is about like I have said is the right for the people of the Falklands to determine who they want to be with.
Is that wrong? wouldn't you want the same thing in their position?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by loooping8
reply to post by Mister_Bit

I think some in Britain living in the past ,its the year 2013 not 1513,my guedness!!

Oh and whilst we are at it, i think the entire worlds population should move back to their homes in Africa.

I have to be childish to reply to such a childish argument

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by loooping8

That's Kind of the point I was trying to make.

History is things that people did in the past.

We did not colonise the Falklands some people in sailing boats did and there all dead now.

If you look on Google Earth there are not really any lines dividing up the world they were drawn up by people with oversized ego's and big swords and cannons.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

So whats wrong with my idea of bringing them all over to England?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by splitfamiliar

It isn't about the past it is about the now and the people who live there now!, they want to stay British and we will defend their choice, the same we would if Norway invaded the Orkneys etc.(Not saying Norway will invade the Orkneys etc
)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by splitfamiliar

So whats wrong with my idea of bringing them all over to England?

They want to stay in the homes that their familes carved out of nothing. I don't really blame them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hope_for_reason
Even at the time of the first war we knew the sea bed was full of oil and gas we just couldn't extract it at the time. now that technology is progressing its a lot more feasable to start extracting it....Hense the posturing from both sides.

Being the cynic thatI am I can't help that feel this is all about money and a political chance for the leaders of each country to get some brain dead herp derp patriotism going within the home populations.

If the people of the uk had any sense of patriotism we would be demanding an end to a 30 year property bubble and to the right of living free within our own land.

Also.... happy new year ats.

Although we suspected (not knew for certain - that came later) at the time that the sea bed contained lots of oil, we had no intention AT THE TIME to drill for it. We did NOT go down to the South Atlantic to defend its oil fields. We went down there to defend the rights of people claiming loyalty to Britain. Yes, no doubt Cameron would love the chance to save his political skin just as Thatcher knew she could do by waging a war with Argentina. And no doubt he is reassuring his friends in BP with his recent words. But it's NOT a straightforward issue that you can be cynical/simplistic about.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Island is not their home, the Falklands islands are that's why. They are living in a British territory and are British and why should they leave? they have lived there for generations.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I understand and accept your point but you keep saying "WE" when talking of defending the Falklands, who is this we please and do you consider me a part of this? I am English and live in Swindon by the way

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge

Dear Mister_Bit
as usual i jumped the gun
my response should of been directed at gangdumstyle and not you

i hope you can except this

SORRY fellow brit
also from chester

ch4###
edit on 6/1/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/1/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

Right, its about defending" those Islands for the people.. THAT IS A LIE...

Defending it for mega corporate oil giants like BP... Wake up, stop supporting that facist english empire roughing up the arg's again...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by gangdumstyle

As far as I was aware, it's been Argentina that's been doing all the threatening. And the screaming. And the stamping of their widdle feet as they complain about the UK being a big meanie.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by godofme

Its useless to give any farer comment as i was do to this thema,you get it or not.sorry to say that.
hope only they will not brainless waste lifes again for things,like pride,money and few qm islands

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

You don't have to do a thing but If a British territory was invaded and you lived there you would hope the British public would be behind action to save your home from invaders.
I would be behind them.
Remember the Argentinians were in the wrong by trying to invade, the only good thing that happened for them after the war ended was it helped get rid of their military junta government.
Like I said Iam no warrior but I would support the people of the falklands If the Argentinians invaded again because they are British.
I would stand by any country in the world (democratic) whom was invaded by another nation.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The British are coming! Ignore the fact that they have been in the shadows for a long time.The British remind me of the little guy who always hangs out with the Big Bully (U.S.).They stand in the shadow run their mouth and get the tension going.After the police arrive (public opinion) they start pointing the finger at the bully.

While we are at it ,don't forget to completly ignore your own history as the most brutal thugs ever.You enslaved a whole "subcontinent" and brutaly oppressed them for decades,brought the most populace country on earth to it knees by pushing opium down their throats.Piracy was fine and danndy if you got a letter from the Queen.Taxed and restricted the rights of every citizen in you empire to the point of rebellion.Now there is a island with Oil that you seized in you colonial days.Most U.K. posters seem to have forgoten their "No War For Oil" stance aginst the U.S on Iraq.Now it is we will not let people be oppressed.Does that sound familiar ?

War for oil,from personal opinion the people will see no oil or gas price reduction.The only people who will see any benfit from the oil are the elite.Your gas prices will still rise like in the U.S. after Iraq.If this is a truely nobel enterprise the U.K will defend the Falklands then go away.We will see the people in the Falklands income rise to that of the people on Oman.But that won't happen.As the British have always done they will come and see and conqure.When they leave the people of the Falklands will still be hearding sheep

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I can honestly say that if I was born and lived in a country that was not in Great Britain then I would not think of myself as British, I can also say that if I lived in a country that had such a history that I would consider moving.

But that's just me.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I agree with what your saying completely, however its not just down to defending the people of the Falklands either they are a cover story but at the same time we still have to set the example to anyone who thinks we are weak with budget cuts and so forth It would be harder this time round and the Argies would have learn't from last time continue taking supplies out and not to switch to the Warships and make sure communication is better between the one who fit and arm the bombs and the ones who use them as height and speed was a major problem when the Argies used the bombs some didn't have enough time to wind up and detonate due to the bombs being dropped at a height that was to low. we came so close to losing that war its unreal.

but I don't think the Argies have the Capability to launch an attack of magnitude like the last not without help at least.

And we would most likely be alone in this one like the last but we have a good size force easily capable of defending those islands till help arrives at least.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join