It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Atheists are Unrelenting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by backcase

Perfect Love in the form of a perfect Sacrifice from God Himself.

otherwise we could know no perfection

Stop kissing "God"s ass and give me a real answer. What do you know of perfection? You, personally. What do YOU know of perfection? How are you capable of understanding perfection? Allow me to demonstrate my personal understanding of perfection:

Everything we know about perfection comes from what humankind desires from perfection. What perfect is there in the lack of room for improvement? What perfection is there in the end of a road? Just existence. Pure existence. Nothing except the enjoyment of no challenges. Without challenge, there is no triumph. Without triumph, no joy. Without joy, no meaning. And without meaning, no purpose.

Perfection is the same as having no purpose. Is that what you want in life? Is that the goal of our species? To have no purpose because there is no challenge? Perfection is a prison of stagnancy.

Take this circle, this pixelated circle. It shows that there is no clear cut definition to anything, because it is always comprised of smaller elements giving shades of nuance to the nature of all that exists. The closer you look, the more you see hundreds of overlapping segments that unite to create a larger picture from the sum of its definitions. Is a tree just a tree? No, it is an indescribable number of cells dancing in a process that continually engages in a game of give-and-take with the world around it, interacting with a myriad of varying organisms that work together to create a masterpiece that people will look at in wonder as the seasons change, that people will sit under for shade, that children will climb and scrape themselves on, that will provide a perch for a singing bird blessing passersby with its music or the occasional photographer with a memory that will last for centuries. A tree is not just a tree. It is a learning experience. Just like this circle. It is flawed, and that is what makes it perfect.

That's my idea of perfection. Because when perfection is just an end, it provides nothing except a reason to want more. That is your perfection. My standards allow room for growth, for learning, for life. There is no reason to set my standards at the finish line, because I don't give myself a finish line. Why race at all? Take a moment to stop and look at that tree. Pick a flower. Say hello to someone. Make a child laugh. We race through life, never realizing how much we leave undone with every quick step we take.

My perfection gives us a reason to DO more, because it will never be completely finished. An eternity of creation, just waiting for us to notice it. How's that for perfection?

edit on 5-1-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by backcase
reply to post by winofiend

"Which human" seems to be a selective question. I prefer to say that God led me to Himself by showing me His Glory.

Pretend you were raised by a robot. It never spoke or interacted with you apart from ensuring you were healthy and alive. I know, it's far fetched make believe, but go with it.

How would you have come to learn about god?

And why has god not lead a pygmy from the Congo to the same awareness of him as he has you?

and god so loved the world he sent his only son, who said 'Obey my orders or .. or else my dad wont let you into his house. So there.'

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by vaelamin
Im confused as to why atheists waste so much of there time and life arguing and whining about religion. You dont believe nor care for it yet for some reason you constantly talk about it? No wonder the bible thumpers never leave yall alone.

Sunday. Easter holidays, Christmas Holidays, Christmas television, evangelical snake-oil peddlers, and all the other buggers that get as loud in reply to the noisy xtians.

It's stuck to us like a bad smell, and so you will forgive some of us, if we happen to appear to be constantly shooing away the flies.

I went to a doctor once, and I tell you no lie, he tried to give me a christian pamphlet. And still charged full price.

Besides, don't you think it's a nice thing, to try and help people see the light? We're all over 2000 years old now, time to stop playing with childish things..

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Besides, don't you think it's a nice thing, to try and help people see the light? We're all over 2000 years old now, time to stop playing with childish things..

"An honest man is always a child." Socrates

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by backcase
reply to post by retirednature

We humans have no divinity, but God does. I see no satisfaction in the things of the world and human thought, which is how atheists believe. I think that if atheists look upon such as truth then their knowledge is a religion of mockery and pride doomed to self destruction.
edit on 5-1-2013 by backcase because: (no reason given)

John 10:34-36

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods”’? 35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Why don't you post the previous couple of lines as well? He was speaking to priests, not to common folk.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Why don't you post the previous couple of lines as well? He was speaking to priests, not to common folk.

Yes he was at the time. But under the new covenant, all believers are a "royal priesthood". See 2Peter and Hebrews.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Spoken with all the zeal of a "true believer", of course. Judging by behavior alone, leaving philosophical motivations aside, I can't tell the difference between atheists and religionists. You guys are like Democrats and Republicans.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

it is incorrect. The truth is simple.

an eternity of creation without noticing God Who has created it? Creation is not eternal, God only is.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

wouldn't the robot be programmed by a human and therefore hold that human's beliefs?

any man who is in the religion of virtue is a Christian as Christ taught virtue.

Also the pope has stated that Christmas is a pagan holiday. Do you think Christians like God being replace by Santa or the Easter bunny? That is american ignorance for you, not true Christianity

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

God said that we are gods as we have dominion over the earth by means of our soul which animals and materials do not have. But Jesus has inherited all things from the Father. Anything that we have that can even be called close to divine comes from God and is not ours, or else we would destroy such with base actions.

That is why God gives association with His Divinity to those who go through the "dark night of the soul" only. Otherwise no man would be worthy of a connection to Divinity as they would take ownership in pride.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

it is incorrect. The truth is simple.

Even for the realm of one-liners, that answer was terribly weak, Backcase. Either put some effort into your responses or don't bother posting at all. If the truth is so simple, then by all means, explain it to me. Prove to me that my view of perfection is so wrong as you claim it to be.

And please, don't throw another one-line post at me. That sort of thing is insulting.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

i added more so it would not be so insulting, i agree, i should have said more.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The truth is far more important to me than having blind faith hold my hopes up. I use logic to find truth. And logically, God ain't it.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

an eternity of creation without noticing God Who has created it? Creation is not eternal, God only is.

What makes you think "God" wants to be noticed? What makes you think he isn't content to simply experience his creations though us, without us ever knowing he exists?

You see him as an anthropomorphic figure, who desires attention as much as humans do. This may not be the case at all. A truly benevolent god is always willing to make sacrifices for the well-being of its creations. Knowing the father is not necessary for success.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
My mom is one of those true believers. She believes that her religion is the correct one because...that's what her parents believed. That's all she has to back it up with because she's been taught by her religion to be closed minded about other philosophies. It's the same with terrorists. They believe that it is their holy mission to kill infidels because that is all they have been taught. It takes a bigger person to question what they've been raised with and look outside the box, explore the possibilities without emotional bias.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Are we not made in God's Image? God can obviously do without any of us. But we start to become what we admire, or even less than that. To love God means to have affection for our Father, and to love our neighbor is to live gratefully to God.

Why love a value or ethic when we can love the Creator of them. God is not anti social, He does not mind if we seek His Love as He Loves us in a perfect way.

God is Good.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Why must religion be closed minded? I believe it is very substantial and gives us a map to finding the truth although religion is man made. Some people never look outside of it, or rather into it. That is why I have gone from a lukewarm believer to a Truth seeking mystic.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Are we not made in God's Image? God can obviously do without any of us. But we start to become what we admire, or even less than that. To love God means to have affection for our Father, and to love our neighbor is to live gratefully to God.

Love is not synonymous with worship.

Why love a value or ethic when we can love the Creator of them. God is not anti social, He does not mind if we seek His Love as He Loves us in a perfect way.

What is perfect love?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Do you really want your kids growing up with such nonsense in their heads? Do you really want whole societies forming out of such beliefs? Of course not. If this were to happen it would mean that you failed as a parent, as a member of society, and have driven logic back into the dark ages.

According to one's interpretation on Marx:

According to Marx, religion is an expression of material realities and economic injustice. Thus, problems in religion are ultimately problems in society. Religion is not the disease, but merely a symptom. It is used by oppressors to make people feel better about the distress they experience due to being poor and exploited.

According to Karl Marx, religion is like other social institutions in that it is dependent upon the material and economic realities in a given society. It has no independent history; instead it is the creature of productive forces. As Marx wrote, “The religious world is but the reflex of the real world.”

Marx’s most famous statement about religion comes from a critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Law:

Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.
The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions.
This is often misunderstood, perhaps because the full passage is rarely used: the boldface in the above is my own, showing what is usually quoted. The italics are in the original. In some ways, the quote is presented dishonestly because saying “Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature...” leaves out that it is also the “heart of a heartless world.” This is more a critique of society that has become heartless and is even a partial validation of religion that it tries to become its heart. In spite of his obvious dislike of and anger towards religion, Marx did not make religion the primary enemy of workers and communists. Had Marx regarded religion as a more serious enemy, he would have devoted more time to it.

Marx is saying that religion is meant to create illusory fantasies for the poor. Economic realities prevent them from finding true happiness in this life, so religion tells them this is OK because they will find true happiness in the next life. Marx is not entirely without sympathy: people are in distress and religion does provide solace, just as people who are physically injured receive relief from opiate-based drugs.

The problem is that opiates fail to fix a physical injury — you only forget your pain and suffering. This can be fine, but only if you are also trying to solve the underlying causes of the pain. Similarly, religion does not fix the underlying causes of people’s pain and suffering — instead, it helps them forget why they are suffering and causes them to look forward to an imaginary future when the pain will cease instead of working to change circumstances now. Even worse, this “drug” is being administered by the oppressors who are responsible for the pain and suffering.

atheism.about.com...
atheism.about.com...

I personally like Marx because he was scratching the surface on a lot of sensitive subjects; people just misinterpret his gems of opinions.

Take what you will, but I wouldn't direct your anger towards the religious people falling in traps...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join