It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl 10 dies from falling bullet on New Years Eve

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well well.......

Before Im accused again of trawling the net looking for anti gun propaganda, this was in the top 10 stories of the website Im directed to when I close my email acc

A 10-year-old girl in the US has died after being struck by a stray bullet fired in the air during New Year's celebrations. Aaliyah Boyer was watching midnight fireworks outside a home in Elkton, Maryland, south of Philadelphia, when she was struck in the head by a falling bullet.

Yeah I know
It was probably an illegal firearm
The gun owner wasnt responsible
They probably had a mental illness
She shouldnt have been out that late
Its her parents fault for not making her wear a crash helmet
People die from Car crashes way more than guns, lets ban them
Etc etc etc etc

Thank god I live in a country where people dont have to worry about getting shot at school or even that when standing outside its a possibility to get hit by bullets falling out of the sky.

The mentality of gun ownership is just sick, theres no taboo involved in owning or apparently even firing a gun.
God bless America,land of the free to own any gun you want.

I wont be responding to anyone who uses this as a platform to tell me guns are OK, quite frankly Ive had enough and have dealt with all your pointless and contradictory arguments a million times over.
As long as guns are readily available to everyone stories like this and Sandy Hook are gonna keep happening.

WAKE UP PEOPLE AND FRICKEN DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!

Article
edit on 4/1/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If anything, this should be a warning not to shoot your guns in the air in celebration on New Year's Eve! Or for any other celebration for that matter.

Mythbusters even did an episode on this type of thing.

Don't do it!
edit on 4-1-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Has happened before the shootings too. Things happens. No one will care if a kid is hit by a car but if a gun is involved its the only thing on the news.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

doesn't seem like the proper category for this type of story.
Unless youre just trying to make any and all gun related news a political issue?

sad very sad

Shaade

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Well well.......

Thank god I live in a country where people dont have to worry about getting shot at school or even that when standing outside its a possibility to get hit by bullets falling out of the sky.

Article

I find that hard to believe.

Anyways, bless you for having your own thoughts.

But I'll be keeping my guns...thank you very much. I need them as they help keep food on the table, and defense when needed.

Is there a immagration requirement to live in Utopia?

edit on 4-1-2013 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

But I'll be keeping my guns...thank you very much. I need them as they hel[ keep food on the table, and defense when needed.

I dont have an issue with people who genuinely use guns for hunting for food. I would imagine you have a bit more respect for what it is and does.

People who just have them "in case they need them" in my opinion are just irresponsible and selfish.
Their want for a gun and ability to get them easily somehow in their minds it doesnt register that if they can get them easily so can any other idiot

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

For one thing any idiot who would fire a gun into the sky is a complete idiot as what goes up must come down. That being said, even if you live in a country where it is illegal for private citizens to own firearms you are living with a false sense of security. Criminals have guns anyway, and if some whackadoodle wanted to shoot up a school badly enough I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult for them to obtain a weapon by illegal means. There is no such thing as a gun free Utopia.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

reply to post by TDawgRex

I dont have an issue with people who genuinely use guns for hunting for food. I would imagine you have a bit more respect for what it is and does.

People who just have them "in case they need them" in my opinion are just irresponsible and selfish.
Their want for a gun and ability to get them easily somehow in their minds it doesnt register that if they can get them easily so can any other idiot

So youre saying that anyone that seeks to own a firearm for protection of home and family is irresponsible and selfish??? and they shouldnt be allowed?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Shaade

So youre saying that anyone that seeks to own a firearm for protection of home and family is irresponsible and selfish??? and they shouldnt be allowed?

Thats exactly what Im saying

If you can easily go buy a gun so can anyone. Ive confronted someone trying to break into my house without a gun and surprise surprise Im still alive and hes in jail

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

My friend, when it comes to gun rights do you not know that collateral damage is entirely acceptable? I wonder if it would change anyones mind if it were their kid or that of a good friend.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
what goes up, must come down. firing guns into the air seems ill-conceived and reckless. not a good idea, especially in an area shared with other people.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
My friend's dog died after a knife was thrown in the air during a party. Hit the dog right in the head coming down...only two feet away from a kid standing next to the dog.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Philadelphia, like Chicago, is a #hole.

While her family were at hospital with her, a burglar broke into their Pennsylvania home and stole their Christmas presents.

ETA: The article makes it sound like a suburb of Philly.

I just checked a map and Elkton is like an hour southwest from Philly. Nowhere near Philly.

Demo-wise Elkton seems like it should be a decent town.

Philly is still a #hole.

And why is this in Australian news? Are things really so slow there?
edit on 4-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
A 10 year old girl dies tragically from an accident caused by a handgun. So the OP uses it as a forum to ban handguns.

A 10 year old girl dies from medical malpractise.

Do we ban doctors next?

A 10-year-old girl had died after staff at a scandal-hit hospital failed to give her the medication she needed, it has emerged.

www.telegraph.co.uk...#
edit on 4-1-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer - "Do we ban doctors next?"

only those that insist on throwing scalpels and saws into the air at random.
edit on 4/1/13 by RoScoLaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Depending on the firearm, some hunting rounds have what is considered a "danger range" around 5 miles. If I up and fired my 30-06 with varmint 110 grain loads into the air at just the right angle...it could take someone out a very long way off.

This is common sense folks. I grew up in a hunting family. I was taught to respect firearms long before I could ever touch one. When I was finally allowed, it was always with supervision. When I got my first gun (a 410 shotgun, at the age of 10 or so) I had to take classes given by the local 4-H club and the Dept of Natural Resources before I could go out and squirrel hunt.

Maybe we are going about this with the completely wrong attitude.

When I was young, I wanted to learn all I could about guns...what the different ones were for and how to use them properly. Maybe we DO need to make firearm education mandatory to own one. I went through it...it didn't kill me and I learned alot. That was over 37 years ago and since then, I have taken many classes about different firearms, hunting safety and techniques....and I didn't hate a single minute of it.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious
My friend's dog died after a knife was thrown in the air during a party. Hit the dog right in the head coming down...only two feet away from a kid standing next to the dog.

I fail to see what that has to do with the topic of a girl getting killed by a stray, probably legal, bullet.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

reply to post by Shaade

Thats exactly what Im saying

If you can easily go buy a gun so can anyone. Ive confronted someone trying to break into my house without a gun and surprise surprise Im still alive and hes in jail

Well then I guess its a good thing that the criminals in Oz dont pose much of a threat, but the sad truth is alot of criminals that seek you harm or steal from you, has some form of weapon and if confronted will use it on you.
You saying that I shouldnt have the right to protect my family, are you rooting for the criminals or something?
I pray that you never meet an armed criminal from the real world or your view of guns may just change, provided you survived the encounter.
edit on 1/4/2013 by Shaade because: typo

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join