It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent video games and movies are conditioning people "Pavlov style" to massacre and murder as

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

You sound like my mom, when she told me I could not listen to certain music as a kid, because it was the devil's music. (gun's N roses) among others.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Absolutely rubbish.
Played Slenderman, Prototype ,Deus Ex ,Mass Effect ,GTA etc etc.

And yet I have never even thought of hurting anyone who is innocent.

This claim is absolutely false to say the least.
edit on 4-1-2013 by shivaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Oppa Pavlov style!

I can't say I realy agree with this. I have thought at times they could be getting kids used to the tools of future war fare with the style of games and the equipment they use. But iv played violent games and watched way more violent movies for years and never felt the need to go out and massacre any body.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Kids all over the world play these video games, especially and including Japan, where mass shootings are not an issue.

People have been trying to vandalize video games since their inception. It is not the games.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I would say desensitize not condition. Most cartoons and awesome movies of the 80s were filled with violence, and we didn't have the face eating zombie, mass shooter epidemic. There is something wrong with this generation, but most refuse to accept the truth. Post modernism, do what thou wilt mentality, is what has doomed us.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

OMG I went through the same thing. My parents took my AFD album.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kingofmd

There have always been mass shootings. Long before video games. They are nothign new.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turkenstein

You sound like my mom, when she told me I could not listen to certain music as a kid, because it was the devil's music. (gun's N roses) among others.

You are so on target, I am a Mom. When my 30+ was a teen I listened to the rap music with her. I pointed out where the lyrics said things like "biting off your nipple", then asked her, do you want your nipple bitten off? I never took away the music just spoiled it for her once she realized how awful the lyrics actually were.

Actually I'm (or rather was) a social science professor, and Mom and now Grandma.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
lol I think video games reduce stress more than anything....However, i do think it does desensitize people to a degree, just as anything else would.

Before talking about Video games, ban the music industry.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The majority of kids...you are right. But there are those out there who are affected. Look at Charlie Manson and "Helter Skelter" and that was long before video games.

I knew Soldiers who had never deployed and were just itching to go. They played all the FPS games and wanted to see what it was really like. Most of them didn't listen to the Veterans and came back mentally/physically damaged.

I guess there is a reason that they say, "there is nothing like experiance to know the truth."

But at the same time, I do agree with you. Banning video games/movies/music would be a waste of time as it doesn't affect the majority.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I dont know enough on this subject to state unequivocally that yes, violence in video games and movies are conditioning people to kill, but what I do know, is that the man who wrote the training manual "On Killing" for desensitizing our soldiers and law enforcement officers to kill as "needed" believes very strongly that it does.

Lt. Col. Dave Grossman wrote "On Killing" (the training manual I referenced above) which is required reading at West Point, The Naval Academey, the FBI, CIA and many other law enforcement agencies nationwide. He also wrote a book called "Stop teaching our kids to kill" In this particular book he makes the point that many of the same techniques of desenistization that are taught to law enforcement officers and our Military from the book "On Killing" are mirrored in todays violent shooter type games.

If a man of this caliber, who wrote the book that is required reading by the very institutions that are taught to kill when needed, says that there is a direct relationship betweeen Violence in Movies, Video Games and real violence in our society, I think we should at least listen to what he says.
www.amazon.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
lol I think video games reduce stress more than anything....However, i do think it does desensitize people to a degree, just as anything else would.

I had to chuckle at this one. Back in the mid-90's, after a particularly stressful day at work, I would return home, pop a brew-ha and put DOOM on God mode and just level everything for a half hour or so.

I was always a bit more relaxed after that.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This, as with every other post like it, is stupid. Prove your assumption or shut up.

link   
I'm on the same board guys....Video Games is a big stress reliever for me these days. I play a little Call of Duty or some Madden and feel much better. I put the kiddos to bed around 9pm and then I am open to playing an hour to unwind a bit before bed.

link   
reply to post by crawdad1914

I made my Det read that book prior to deployment and write a report on their views. I highly recommend it.

Their reports also gave me a little more insight into their thought processes which allowed me to juggle the Teams a bit so they were more, um...balanced.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I had my shares of FPS games, but those games, for me were mostly a game involving my friends. I played online with random players, it did not have the same effect...and don't forget, 3rd party tools/hacks.

I spend most of my time in RPG games, where i build my character, set goals.... etc. Games such as Final Fantasy series, White Knight Chronicles, Legend of the Dragoon and many old RPGs. They give me more calm and tranquil feel... but i would take up RPG or fighting games when my friends show up.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Modern, violent entertainment is proof of humanities current civility. Yes, our violent media is a good thing.

Human history is replete with examples of our desires to view violence. The difference between today and historical examples is the fact that, if we were to watch two gladiators fight to the death, those fighters would most likely be Hollywood actors. So the entire enactment would be fake.

Unlike the Romans who would have taken the whole family to the Colosseum to watch the real-life bloodsport.

And don't forget that our ancestors loved public executions. They were wholesome family entertainment as well.

Our attitudes have changed for the better, and our current forms of entertainment reflect that. The majority would never tolerate that sort of treatment of their fellow man.
edit on 4-1-2013 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2013 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It is a fascinating read, and it is easy to see whay it is required reading. I was struck by the fact that so many of us have a difficult time killing another Human even when under direct fire and in the most "do or die" situations. Killing is something that has to be taught to the "good guys" It does not come easy, and it comes at a price. The book also along with the desensitation practices also teaches the importance of supporting our Soldiers after the traumas of war.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

After a day of high stress...the last thing I want to do is think. I just want to veg a bit and approach whatever is troubling me with a fresh mind.

Playing a game with all the cheats on is cheating, but it also requires no thought process. I would almost even think of it as a form of meditation.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Reply to post by grandmakdw

No, those things just sell and they sell very well.

Millions and millions watch violence and play violent games and do not do unspeakable things. The crazy was there before the movie was seen.

I call BS. Take responsibility. Don't blame Hollywood.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join