It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have facebook? If not, why?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
reply to post by ypperst

Here's an example... A co-worker recently purchased a house, so instead of already seeing the pictures on Facebook, I got to look at the pictures on his phone in person. It was great to be able to comment in real time, and of course he could get a more honest reaction, rather than a thought out message, such as this one being typed right now.

Talk is cheap, but in this digital age, it might be one of the few human things left.

What a great example

Many people forget that a conversation also includes your facial expressions. Its one of the most important things. You can't read a message, as you read a persons face.

There is nothing better to see a smile, after you tell them something, or that warm feeling you get from a shoulder clap, when you have done something great.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by shivaX
Facebook is addictive.
So is ATS.

However the former consists of nothing but BS.
edit on 3-1-2013 by shivaX because: (no reason given)

I agree, everything can be addictive. A friend of mine is addicted to sneezing.

But there is still different to be addicted to benzine, or addicted to the smell of flowers.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

Nope, no facebook for me.

I just don't see the point of it all.

If I wanted to be in touch with people from High School, I would still be in touch with them. Truth be told, I couldn't wait to get away from that town and all the people in it!

Same for college....if there were people that were important to me, I would still be in touch. Truth be told, I couldn't wait to get away from the the people in that town either.

My brother has an account though....he signed in one day while he was visiting me and we looked up our older sister's fb page.

What utter CRAP she posted!!! I couldn't believe it. She was posting things that made her life seem so much more exciting and profound than I know it truly is so......

Being the bratty little sister that I know I can be, I called her at work and just railed on her.

At first she was upset with me that I busted her. Then, she started laughing at herself because she realized how stupid she was being.

She's likely back to her old tricks but, hey, to each his own.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
There are people in this world I do not want to give one idea of what goes on in my life. Parents mainly. Not their business. I haven't spoke to them in 31 years and read the obits frequently.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
OP same reasons as you, I finally deleted my facebook account - and 'gained' 3 hours a day as a result.

What a waste of time it was!

Not to mention they sell your private data to get rich!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

I do not do Facebook for various reason, top being privacy concerns. As far as keeping in touch with family if there is important news we have the family "grapevine" for that, and I call my friends by phone to keep in touch.

I have many friends and family members who live most of their lives via Facebook, and it is sad to me. They do not take their noses out of their computers and "smart" phones long enough to have real human contact anymore. Some of them have Facebook relationships with people whom they had as little as possible to do with in their real lives which doesn't make any sense to me. One of my friends that I have stayed in contact with since we were kids is constantly "friending" people who treated her like a dog when we were young, acting like they've always been the best of pals while her true friends who've stuck by her for many, many years hear from her less and less. I myself, as well as others, can't understand this because if someone is your true friend you find a way to stay in touch and disregard those whom were not your friends to start with.

Some things a lot of young people post on Facebook have or can ruin their lives. One of my own grown children has been hurt very badly by the ugly things that people have posted on her "wall" in the past. People on Facebook tend to say mean things that they would never have the cojones to say to someone's face. It is easy to be a jerk when you're hiding behind a computer screen. As a mother it is painful to hold your grown child as they sob because of the faceless comments of some jealous witch.

edit on 3-1-2013 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don't have a facebook account and I can't think of one reason why I should/would. But then again I don't text anything to anyone, if I want to communicate with someone I call them.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I had a Facebook. Then in a pique of anger, I deleted it.

I believe Facebook is inherently bad for you.
People use it as a tool to stalk people, to check up on people.
During the time I had it, I used it to check up on ex boyfriends, ex friends, people who bullied me at school... what a waste of time... why would I even do that? I haven't seen most of them in years, why would I even care?

People also use it as a means to compare themselves to others, or regularly torture themselves over what other people are saying or doing.
Reports to the police have soared since Facebook gained popularity, all because of this "She said, he said".

If someone's friend went out at the weekend, they would get upset about not being invited out, or be jealous that they went out with someone else.

People use it to bully others. Setting up pages which victimize real people. Setting up fake profiles which they use to contact people who have blocked them.

It makes people miserable. The amount of people who have silly little arguments, over silly little things.

I deleted it because I'm sick of the way other people use it, and because of the way I felt the need to go on there even when I wasn't interested in what other people were doing.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Hmmmm... yes... and no. In the sense I do have an account at the moment, but I am not connected to anyone I know in real life, do not go by my real name, and use it solely for one purpose - to play Criminal Case. Love that game. Much more helpful than my happypills (prescribed by the doc after my kitty died).

I've been off FB for quite a while, until OH complained why I wasn't entering any giveaways on FB... so I made him an account. This account got flooded with "friends" and the stream was a nightmare for him to keep up with, and when he needed a FB page, I made him another account to keep track of his page and seperate from the giveaway account... where he in turn got hooked on Criminal Case - which looked like great fun, so I decided to make a new account for myself, purely to play the game.

When I quit FB, I quit not just due to the facial recognition (deleted all photos), I got nothing to hide, but really don't think this is anything they got a right to use (although it now seems all social networks are on that bandwagon), but I also realised that FB logs nearly every website you go to, as long as they got a "like" button somewhere, even though you don't press it. It went from a fun place where I used to enter giveaways, and chat with people who did the same, to me feeling suspicious as to why FB exist?

I really like the setup of Google Plus (although I'm sure they collect just as much info as FB does, it's much, more user friendly) and was an active user of it, until August. Hopefully G+ is something I can get back into one of these days, as I really like the way you got to interact with people who has the same interest as you, instead of being connected with people you once used to know, and know they want to be "friends" again (surely there's a reason they're not in your life anyomore?).

edit on 3-1-2013 by aspiechick because: Messed up the "itallic" signs.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

I have a facebook. I have had one for years. I used to use it ALL the time, mostly while I was in high school and college. It was great to keep up communication with friends who had graduated or moved around the country or with my family while I was in college. I have a lot of trouble with electronics and so I loose people's numbers all the time due to my phone breaking or my computer crashing.

I hate that there is no privacy on facebook. And the thing is, they just get more and more obvious about it. When the new timeline came out, it made all your posts and everything that you had ever put on facebook public unless you manually told it not to. It amazes me that people still do not understand that your information is not private on there and never will be once it has been uploaded or posted.

AND it bothers me that people can "tag" you in photos even if you don't have a facebook. When you upload photos now, it uses photo recognition to place the people in the pictures. So if enough people tag your name even if you don't have a facebook, they will have your face recognized through the technology.

I have thought about canceling my account, but I really don't see the point now that I have already had it for so long. I have finally made the connection that privacy is no longer one of our rights.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I made an account when it first came out, wasn't impressed, and have since given it to my mom for her Farmville addiction purposes. LOL Even she doesn't mess with it much anymore.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join