It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have facebook? If not, why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Hello everyone

I start this thread, because of facebook. I see Facebook everyday, because of my girlfriend who is in contact with facebook 24/7. I have never ever had a serious facebook, and I will never get facebook.

I remember when facebook was out for the first time, and I saw how all was making an account, and so did I. It was after 2-3 days, where I thought, lol, why do I even want to waste my time in here. So I closed my facebook / I did not use it. I did not post a single picture there.

Now, I do see the good points of facebook, but it seems like I can't see why the hell I need it. I understand that it must be really nice to meet an old friend from school, or add a new girl/boy which you think is really cute.

Now, I don't see why I want to be a part of my 'old friend', as I don't give a damn about his everyday life, I may add him as friend, and write to him once, but thats it. I know I wont be hanging out with him in our everyday, so I wont waste my time.

I simply can't see myself, looking at my friends and non-friends updates, how their cat just rolled down the couch, or how the rich kid on my list got a new boat. I just can't see why I would.

Also, it is good, becuase you can have contact with your family. Bullsh!t! If you love your family enough, you will make them a call, or make them a visit. And so will they.

If your friend is a real friend, then you don't need facebook to keep in touch with them... All my friends (beside my best buddy) has facebook, all of them. My mom, my dad, my 80 year old grandpa. My ex girlfriend from 5 years ago have facebook.

It seems like all have facebook, and when people ask me about my facebook, and I tell them I don't have it, I feel like a circus clown, who did something wrong. Now I'm used to it, that people always ask me "Eh, why don't you have facebook dude?" Also, I don't like how they can sell your pictures, without any notice. And people seems to not care anymore about their privacy. I will always protect my privacy, always.

Now, I would love to hear why you have facebook, and to all those who don't have facebook, I would also like to hear from you

Thank you for your time, and I don't know if this should have been under Rant.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I did have facebook but after a few drunken nights and waking up in the morning thinking "OMG did I type that" I got rid, then after that I didn't need it and I will never go back.
Upon further research and trying to delete my account I realized that FB is not all it seems to be, FB knows what you like what you do not like and what you do in your life and it sells that info.
If I was the CIA etc I would love facebook.
edit on 3-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: dyslexia

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well my family is spread out all over the country. So that is an aspect I love about it. The aspect I hate is that it CAN be addicting just like ATS!!!!

My New Years resolution was to spend no more than a few minutes per day. My goal is to get rid and delete my profile this year.

edit on 3-1-2013 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Yep, like you I fell into the Facebook trap after moving abroad to keep in contact
Before then I strongly resisted the urge to be part of it. Anyway, after a year or two I became so very bored by the inane posts and the need of some people to keep a running commentary on their lives, I started to see that this just wasn't for me so I started to unlike everything and delete my posts and then just before christmas I ditched it for good
and I feel free!!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I did have facebook but after a few drunken nights and waking up in the morning thinking "OMG did I type that" I got rid, then after that I didn't need it and I will never go back.
Upon further research and trying to delete my account I realized that FB is not all it seems to be, FB knows what you like what you do not like and what you do in your life and it sells that info.
If I was the CIA etc I would love facebook.
edit on 3-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: dyslexia

Yes, thank you

I could not agree more. Its not for no reason that Mark Zuckerberg gets invited to eat with the President and all the other 'big heads' such a Steve Jobs.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
well my family is spread out all over the country. So that is an aspect I love about it. The aspect I hate is that it CAN be addicting just like ATS!!!!!!!!!

If I had facebook, I know I would be addicted to it instant. But it would be a false addiction, as I (personally) wont get anything out of facebook.

I see your point with the family, and I understand you very well.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Severin
Yep, like you I fell into the Facebook trap after moving abroad to keep in contact
Before then I strongly resisted the urge to be part of it. Anyway, after a year or two I became so very bored by the inane posts and the need of some people to keep a running commentary on their lives, I started to see that this just wasn't for me so I started to unlike everything and delete my posts and then just before christmas I ditched it for good
and I feel free!!

Good to hear buddy!

Sometimes I wonder, if I would feel more free if I had facebook. But then I see how my girlfriend is getting more and more annoyed by facebook, and telling me how many 'idiots' there is on. I then simply smile a little and then I remember, that I'm the free one.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Only thing Facebook made easy was, keep in touch with old high school friends(even if you only use it to just wish happy birthday lol) and sending out invitation for a meeting, such as events and study session.

I use it maybe 2-3 a month.

It will die out in 3-4 yrs, just to be replaced with something else... look at MySpace.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

I hear you man, my gf is into it too and she was quite upset and sad
when I quit. I told her that its ok, everything will be fine, its very strange how this thing has such a strong grip on people.

In fact I went through a period of posting very controversial and militant stuff to see who would unfriend me- just for kicks

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Only thing Facebook made easy was, keep in touch with old high school friends(even if you only use it to just wish happy birthday lol) and sending out invitation for a meeting, such as events and study session.

I use it maybe 2-3 a month.

It will die out in 3-4 yrs, just to be replaced with something else... look at MySpace.

Yes, myspace is totally a deadspace. I have also wondered many times about when facebook will go down.

Thank you for your answer :-)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Severin
reply to post by ypperst

I hear you man, my gf is into it too and she was quite upset and sad
when I quit. I told her that its ok, everything will be fine, its very strange how this thing has such a strong grip on people.

In fact I went through a period of posting very controversial and militant stuff to see who would unfriend me- just for kicks

Haha, my girlfriend asks me 2-3 times a month, about "sweety, wont you join facebook, just for me?" I ask her, why I would want to do that?

And to be honest, I'm a kinda jealous guy (hate it) and I don't think I would like to see all the things my girlfriend posts about, it would drive me insane!! (It already does,
)

Oh, and I know if I had facebook, I would only use it for giggles and be annoying.. It wont go

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I deleted my Facebook account 11 months ago for several reasons.

1. I don't want to be "tagged" in a picture which may influence future employment considerations.

2. I spent way too much time reading up on minutia and superfluous data rather than focusing on work or other hobbies.

3. I got tired of getting together with friends and having nothing to say to each other because we read about each others' lives daily. It is soooooooooo refreshing to have an actual conversation with eye contact where both parties are genuinely interested, and therefore more prone to pay attention.

The list could go on, but these 3 are more than enough for me.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
My simple answer to that is privacy, I cannot fathom how more people dont
see the glaring problem with the lack of privacy from them...... not only that
but they are basically selling you like cattle on there...... you are the product.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

I do NOT have a facebook account, and probably never will.

I value my privacy way too much!

Also: It must be a lot of work to update your facebook account all the time.

I agree with you OP: If you care about people in your life, you will stay in contact with them via other means.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I hate Facebook! I dont feel the need to communicate in such a fashion. Also every goverment agency out there is privy to the eveyday in's and out's of your life not that "They" need Facebook to accomplish said act!
edit on 3-1-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
I deleted my Facebook account 11 months ago for several reasons.

1. I don't want to be "tagged" in a picture which may influence future employment considerations.

2. I spent way too much time reading up on minutia and superfluous data rather than focusing on work or other hobbies.

3. I got tired of getting together with friends and having nothing to say to each other because we read about each others' lives daily. It is soooooooooo refreshing to have an actual conversation with eye contact where both parties are genuinely interested, and therefore more prone to pay attention.

The list could go on, but these 3 are more than enough for me.

Thank you for your reply

Those reasons are good, and I really like your last reason, I didn't even think about that one myself.
Star for you

I know too many who spent too much time on facebook, as if they have a false protection on facebook.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I once had it back when it started but got sick of it soon enough.

As a form of communication it has its uses. But since people put their entire lives on the internet, it is a breeding ground for abuse and privacy violations. Most people's lives are very boring, and to want to be updated by such boring nonsense says a lot about ourselves. And to put our lives and the lives of our children on the amoral wasteland of the internet for all to see is, quite frankly, very stupid.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by QMask

reply to post by bloodreviara

reply to post by andy06shake

Thank you for your answers.

It is really nice to see, that I'm not the only one having these feelings.

I simply don't understand why some people can't see it. And when they are told, they wont listen. As if it wont affect them, only others.

The human brain just wont stop perplexing me..

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

Well thank you for the kind words.

Here's an example... A co-worker recently purchased a house, so instead of already seeing the pictures on Facebook, I got to look at the pictures on his phone in person. It was great to be able to comment in real time, and of course he could get a more honest reaction, rather than a thought out message, such as this one being typed right now.

Talk is cheap, but in this digital age, it might be one of the few human things left.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Facebook is addictive.
So is ATS.

However the former consists of nothing but BS.
edit on 3-1-2013 by shivaX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join